The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
v2micca
This is the Water

and this is the well.

Default Rich Scangarello is the Broncos new Offensive Coordinator

New thread for those who prefer to actually discuss the merits, risks, and potential payoff of our new Assistant Coach.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

I'm not sure why, but this thread makes me want to talk about razors...

I keed. I like this hire more than Kubes as the OC. I just wish we could have kept Kubes on in the front office. He spoke up against Elway and Ellis and that is an invaluable trait with no owners on board.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
v2micca
This is the Water

and this is the well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post

I keed. I like this hire more than Kubes as the OC. I just wish we could have kept Kubes on in the front office. He spoke up against Elway and Ellis and that is an invaluable trait with no owners on board.
When it was first announce, I didn't hate the idea of Kubiak taking over as our OC. I had concerns, but I didn't hate it. When news broke that he had parted ways with the team over philosophical differences, I wasn't ra ra about it, but I thought it was probably the right move for the Broncos. Now that I'm hearing stories of him bringing back in his guys that we specifically got rid of 2 years ago and making his son the QB coach, I'm thinking we may have dodged a bullet.

Rich has a ton of risk associated with him, and could very easily fail as his first go at OC in the NFL. It is a very real posibility. But, I still like the risk and prefer it to retreading the past, which appears to be the path we would have taken with Kubiak.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
FlaBroncosFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
When it was first announce, I didn't hate the idea of Kubiak taking over as our OC. I had concerns, but I didn't hate it. When news broke that he had parted ways with the team over philosophical differences, I wasn't ra ra about it, but I thought it was probably the right move for the Broncos. Now that I'm hearing stories of him bringing back in his guys that we specifically got rid of 2 years ago and making his son the QB coach, I'm thinking we may have dodged a bullet.

Rich has a ton of risk associated with him, and could very easily fail as his first go at OC in the NFL. It is a very real posibility. But, I still like the risk and prefer it to retreading the past, which appears to be the path we would have taken with Kubiak.
Agreed. Who knows, he could be the next rockstar OC. Weíll probably need a new QB for that to happen though.
FlaBroncosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

I find all the masculinity in here very toxic.

That being said, I'm excited about this guy, I really like the bit about him tailoring his schemes to the roster strengths, that was pretty much all I wanted out of our new coaching hires.

edit: My first neg rep in years! I wasn't sure they still made neg rep!

Last edited by PRBronco; 01-17-2019 at 12:06 PM..
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #6
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm sure whichever mod merged Boss' "Rich Scangarello" thread yesterday had good intentions but man should have just left it alone.

Says he thinks Broncos will be aggressive on offense in Free Agency: Tight End, #1 WR, maybe RT. Expects an overhaul of the offense with the exception of RB.

GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Excited to have new college concepts installed. Excited to have a guy that's good with QBs and can help us draft a potentially great one. Also excited to have a balance of youth on the offensive side to pair with the experienced HC an DC.

Excited we have been taken over by the Football Eye-talians.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Mile High No Fly

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post

When and about what did Kubiak go against Elway and Ellis?
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post

I agree with all of this. I heard some very disturbing things about Rick Dennison confusing plays or going AWOL during games that may have contributed to some debacles on offense. I like Kubiak the leader of men and game-planner. But the guy who doesn't hold his crew to any kind of performance standard and instead just surrounds himself with people he likes is precisely why he burns out. If he had more competent members of his staff on hand he'd probably be a lot less stressed.

My other major beef is he went to the Shanahan school of nepotism, and so he's going to force through his offspring whether they have talent or not. Coaches should be held to the same succeed or be released standard as players are. And I'd rather have the guy that demands excellence from his staff at the expense of feelings and loyalty than the guy who's super loyal to a bunch of mediocre coaches who have been riding their bosses coat tails their entire careers because they're friends.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #10
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange crusher View Post
When and about what did Kubiak go against Elway and Ellis?
I canít speak for him, but Kubiak is no yes man. He regularly stood up to Elway, and examples would be playing Seimian all game, and not Lynch in 2nd half at season end of 2016, refusing to fire his assistants, etc. But apparently, this last rebuff was a bridge too far.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #12
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I like this guy from what I can tell he really uses Analytics and gets the most of his QB's which is something we desperately need.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
I would not have minded if he was QB coach, but that may have been too weird.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #14
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
I'm sure whichever mod merged Boss' "Rich Scangarello" thread yesterday had good intentions but man should have just left it alone.

Says he thinks Broncos will be aggressive on offense in Free Agency: Tight End, #1 WR, maybe RT. Expects an overhaul of the offense with the exception of RB.

I expect the free agency spending to be more on the defense, with us targeting former Fangio players.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #15
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I like this guy from what I can tell he really uses Analytics and gets the most of his QB's which is something we desperately need.
Can you elaborate on the analytics?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #16
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Can you elaborate on the analytics?
I saw an article quote that he uses some kind of scoring based system that helps him decide what plays to call. ill try to find it
Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #17
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
REJOICE
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #18
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
I canít speak for him, but Kubiak is no yes man. He regularly stood up to Elway, and examples would be playing Seimian all game, and not Lynch in 2nd half at season end of 2016, refusing to fire his assistants, etc. But apparently, this last rebuff was a bridge too far.
It doesn't do much good to stand your ground if what you are fighting for is crappy. That's called being unreasonable.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #19
BleedinBlue
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I really like the hire. As several posters have already mentioned it does come with some definite risk, but I like that they are thinking outside the box.

I like his story and his commitment to taking a low paying gig all the way across the country just to master an offense he admired from afar. With a veteran staff, I like the roll of the dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I expect the free agency spending to be more on the defense, with us targeting former Fangio players.
I agree with this as well. We have a lot of contracts ending, especially next year and will have to re-sign a bunch of guys potentially. McGovern, Paradis, Wolfe, Garcia, Harris, S Harris, Parks, Simmons, Gotsis will all be up soon. I would like to get some locked up early and save cap in case they blow up under Fangio.

As far as FA I think we re-sign Paradis and go after Callahan, hopefully a backer like Mosley or Alexander, a tackle like Daryl Wiliams or Trent Brown, and grab some depth across the DL. I would be happy with that, and it would hit our biggest needs in my eyes.
BleedinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #20
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Mile High No Fly

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Regarding Siemian, perhaps Elway isnít as hands on with coaching as many on here assume. Regarding assistants, Elway may have told him he needed to get rid of them and Kubiak just decided to retire instead of trying to stand his ground against the boss. Iím not saying youíre wrong, but a lot of people just assume they know what goes on in the front office from what they read.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #21
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I saw an article quote that he uses some kind of scoring based system that helps him decide what plays to call. ill try to find it
this is best i could find:

Scangarello has said he appreciates how Shanahan views explosive plays, that every call has a purpose and should be seen as a scoring opportunity.

Scangarello earned high marks for his work with quarterback Nick Mullens, whom he suggested the team sign following injuries. In his first eight starts, the undrafted rookie from Southern Miss posted the fourth-most passing yards (2,277) in NFL history. San Francisco began last season with playoff hopes before losing Jimmy Garoppolo to a knee injury. Garoppolo worked well with Scangarello in 2017, posting a 5-0 record.

Can Scangarello transition to play-calling at the NFL level? While at Wagner College, Scangarello explained that his offense boasts West Coast traits in the passing game, but that the key was to adapt to personnel and "run common plays and put window dressing on it to put pressure on the defense."

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/spo...ve-coordinator
Old 01-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #22
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Either way I expect some real $$$ to be spent this offseason.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #23
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Either way I expect some real $$$ to be spent this offseason.
We shall see. I just think we are more likely to attract Fangio guys on defense than random offensive guys who really arenít going to have any reason to want to come here other than money.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #24
FlaBroncosFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I agree with all of this. I heard some very disturbing things about Rick Dennison confusing plays or going AWOL during games that may have contributed to some debacles on offense. I like Kubiak the leader of men and game-planner. But the guy who doesn't hold his crew to any kind of performance standard and instead just surrounds himself with people he likes is precisely why he burns out. If he had more competent members of his staff on hand he'd probably be a lot less stressed.

My other major beef is he went to the Shanahan school of nepotism, and so he's going to force through his offspring whether they have talent or not. Coaches should be held to the same succeed or be released standard as players are. And I'd rather have the guy that demands excellence from his staff at the expense of feelings and loyalty than the guy who's super loyal to a bunch of mediocre coaches who have been riding their bosses coat tails their entire careers because they're friends.
I agree on the nepotism part but Kyle did turn into a good OC. Do you go the other route and not hire family even if they might be the best candidate? Itís difficult because you have to be prepared to let them go if it doesnít work out.
FlaBroncosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #25
v2micca
This is the Water

and this is the well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBroncosFan View Post
I agree on the nepotism part but Kyle did turn into a good OC. Do you go the other route and not hire family even if they might be the best candidate? Itís difficult because you have to be prepared to let them go if it doesnít work out.
Nothing more dangerous than a flawed process that initially produces a good result.