The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #101
A Defiant Goose
Ring of Famer

Now give me back my avatar!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I just drink white russians.
Yea I bet you do
A Defiant Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #102
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Do you like whiskey? I do. After playing in beer since my post-Mormon journey, I've discovered, and come to truly appreciate the wonder that is usquebaugh or "water of life." and while I prefer a smokey scotch, I like bourbon and Irish as well. My friends and I even have started compiling a spreadsheet we share on google docs comparing ratings, price and looking at variances (see below).

I like it because I sip it and enjoy it more. And I have actually lost weight because I drink fewer calories than when I'm having a couple of stouts or porters.

I'm particularly fond of sherry cask finished drams. What say you, Bronco fans?
you had me a t LEOPOLD BROTHERS.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #103
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHAD KELLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Ice cube or a splash of water can break a whisky wide open.

Yeah, lots of guys insist on using a BARE HAND to scoop a bit of water and splash it into their neat whiskey.

I prefer ice because a cooler whiskey tastes better to me ... but again, crushed ice melts too fast. Cubed ice cools it and gives it the kick of water you're talking about without diluting it (which definitely sucks).
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #104
A Defiant Goose
Ring of Famer

Now give me back my avatar!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I use an ice sphere for mine. Still trying to figure out the science behind making it look pretty and completely clear vs smokey but it does the job
A Defiant Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #105
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Yeah, lots of guys insist on using a BARE HAND to scoop a bit of water and splash it into their neat whiskey.

I prefer ice because a cooler whiskey tastes better to me ... but again, crushed ice melts too fast. Cubed ice cools it and gives it the kick of water you're talking about without diluting it (which definitely sucks).
you should bloom your whisk9e0y
method really depends on ambient temperature where the begerage is being consumed, along with personal preference.
Blooming the booze, adding water or ice, allows for the escape of aromas, cooling the bev allows the heat of your own palette to ignite the elements that will envelop your olfactory and other sensors.
a warm room or environment, use ice.
you just got off the ski slopes, a splash of water.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #106
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Defiant Goose View Post
I use an ice sphere for mine. Still trying to figure out the science behind making it look pretty and completely clear vs smokey but it does the job
the temp of the water going in will influence cloudiness.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #107
CHEF LUIGI

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

the hand actually warms the water...
temperature is the key.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #108
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

I drink it every way possible. Straight, up, Manhattans, old fashioneds, water, from the bottle, stones etc.

I’ve tried the best and the worst and all kinds. I don’t care if it’s corn or rye or baby poop, whiskey is as good as it gets for me.

I hate to say it, but makers is my fave go to. I know that makes me seem like I don’t know what I’m talking about, but it’s truly the perfect whiskey.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #109
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I'm a cheap SOB, so I will drink most whiskeys, but I know I need to upgrade when I can.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #110
Navy Broncos Fan
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Love me some good whiskey. Father-in-law got me drinking it about 4 years ago, I now go through about a bottle a month or two.

This is my favorite to date.

Currently bottle I am working on is

Not a huge fan of it as its too smokey for my taste, but ive had worse.
Navy Broncos Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #111
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

I also like the Canadian whiskeys over the Irish.

CC and Caribou Crossing would be my go tos.

rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #112
eff1ngham
Here for the QB drama

Forgot my password

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2018 QB

I'm a bourbon man. I will drink just about any whiskey, bourbon, scotch, etc, but I do have my favorites. If I had to break them into tiers I would say:

1) Blanton's. It's pretty expensive (at least here), but it's amazing.

2) Michter's small batch. More affordable, great taste, not much of a step down.

3) Tin Cup/Buffalo Trace/Larceny/Makers. Not that these are bad, but they're the low dollar options. Stuff you'd bring to a party or give as a gift, or just if you're have a few fingers after a long day.

4) Bulleit Rye/Jim Beam/Wild Turkey. Slumming it up. Stuff you'd get at a bar, or if you're going to get lit with some friends
eff1ngham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #113
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Defiant Goose View Post
I can help with this. The key is to use a cooler. If ice freezes from the outside in, it causes the oxygen lock in and makes it cloudy. You'll want to cool it from direction to the other.

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #114
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
I hate to say it, but makers is my fave go to. I know that makes me seem like I donít know what Iím talking about, but itís truly the perfect whiskey.
Makers is an awesome whiskey. Why would that make you seem like you don't know what you're talking about? They use malt and red wheat in their blend of corn. And they do much of their processes by hand, including the wax seal. They're wonderful.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #115
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Makers is an awesome whiskey. Why would that make you seem like you don't know what you're talking about? They use malt and red wheat in their blend of corn. And they do much of their processes by hand, including the wax seal. They're wonderful.
He's feeling out whether the hipster cult is out in force in this thread yet.

You know, the ones who automatically shun anything widely popular as inferior because they prefer their club to have an air of neo-gnosticism.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #116
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

You know, the ones who automatically shun anything widely popular as inferior because they prefer their club to have an air of neo-gnosticism.
Snobs give fans a bad name. Yeah, I love an aged scotch, but I'm on record here for enjoying Evan Williams. Makers is, in my limited experience, kind of like entry level snob bourbon, from what I can gather. Kind of like Knob Creek...
Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #117
Powderaddict
Saw Lady Gaga

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Makers is good, but Knobb Creek IMO is special.

I love that stuff.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #118
eff1ngham
Here for the QB drama

Forgot my password

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2018 QB

Makers is to whiskey what Ketel One is to vodka. It's good, and it's a step up from the standard stuff like Beam or Bulleit. It's like when you see a bar offer a "Ketel One martini" that's basically the same thing as a "Maker's old fashion."
You're not getting their basic stuff, but it's not on the same tier as Belvedere
Old 02-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #119
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
Makers is to whiskey what Ketel One is to vodka. It's good, and it's a step up from the standard stuff like Beam or Bulleit. It's like when you see a bar offer a "Ketel One martini" that's basically the same thing as a "Maker's old fashion."
You're not getting their basic stuff, but it's not on the same tier as Belvedere
Since when did people start lumping Bulleit and Beam together? Bulleit is not a step down from Makers, it's a step up.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #120
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Quote:
Snobs give fans a bad name. Yeah, I love an aged scotch, but I'm on record here for enjoying Evan Williams. Makers is, in my limited experience, kind of like entry level snob bourbon, from what I can gather. Kind of like Knob Creek...
I have no issues with Makers, totally drinkable. Makers 46 on the other hand is disgusting.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #121
eff1ngham
Here for the QB drama

Forgot my password

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2018 QB

Quote:
Since when did people start lumping Bulleit and Beam together? Bulleit is not a step down from Makers, it's a step up.
It may be personal preference. But I'm also taking price point and general availability (at least in my area). Regular Bulleit (not Rye, not 10 year, etc), is cheaper than Maker's (again regular Maker's, not 46, etc), and most bars around here have Bulleit has their happy hour/entry price bourbon or whiskey (along with Beam, Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, etc). Maker's is a little more expensive, is usually never on special, and generally is towards the top shelf.

I'm not a whiskey snob, I'll happily drink any of them. But that's the tier I see it in
Old 02-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #122
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I have no issues with Makers, totally drinkable. Makers 46 on the other hand is disgusting.
I'm kind of baffled by this. I haven't tried it, but everyone I've talked to is more one or the other on Makers Mark or the 46. But that discussion is usually good/better. You're the first person I've seen say the comparison good / disgusting. Or at least palatable, I guess you didn't say it was good, just drinkable.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #123
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I agree with eff1ngham. Bulleit is cheaper and on sale more often. It's also one of the mass made whiskies from the Diageo beverage company where they basically make a crap ton of whiskey at the commercial level and then modify it for each of their many respective brands (including Four Roses, which some of you enjoy, but tastes like perfume to me).

Tom Bulleit is a mascot. He doesn't have anything to do with the whiskey, how it's made, quality control, anything.

Anyway, Bulleit is delicious and has these really great floral and mineral qualities I enjoy. But it is a mass product and is cheaper than Makers Mark most of the time I see them. I will enjoy them both! But I feel like Makers is more "fancy," hands-on and authentic.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #124
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

It would be awesome to do blind taste tests with bottom shelf Tenhigh to expensive and let these snobs do their annoying thing.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #125
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

That spreadsheet I showed on page 1, we actually do taste tests blind when we get together to review different whiskies. It doesn't really change things much, but Tom insists on it. His wife pours and randomizes them and we don't get a reveal until everything tried is completed so we can't eliminate as we go.