The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #1301
rugbythug
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Rise and fall of the third Reich
Unbounded courage
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #1302
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

I am reading An Army at Dawn from The Liberation Trilogy, by Rick Atkinson.

WOW, I read a review of the last book in the series awhile back and it was on my read list so I started with the 1st book and all I can say is that this guy can WRITE!

I expected some dry boring, this is what happened account but wow, his use of language takes me to Northern Africa. I have waded through some of the Deutsches accounts (Rommel, Guderian, etc) but this is a great read and doesn't sacrifice facts for entertainment. Can't wait to read his other works.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #1303
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

I blew through Phil Jackson's book Sacred Hoops in 2 days. Great read, had a nice message.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:48 PM   #1304
wolf754life
HORSE FACE GM

THE GHOST of HORSEFACE GM

Sipping from The Chalice of Mediocrity... by Gary Kubiak

How Not to Defend a Championship, by John Elway

L.

8-8
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:16 PM   #1305
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Anyone read Gene Wolfe? I keep hearing his name and works pop up. Specifically The Book of the New Sun series. Le Guin, GRRM, China Mieville, and Neil Gaiman have heaped loads of praise on the guy. Le Guin compares him to Melville and China Mieville calls him the greatest living author. High praise. Thinking of adding him to my short list.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #1306
Bronx33
We Stink

Camaraderie-ship for all

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juicy Jewel

killing the rising sun
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #1307
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Any military buffs read Six Frigates?

https://www.amazon.com/Six-Frigates-...s=Six+Frigates

Probably gonna grab that after Gene Wolfe. Some more Neal Stephenson I haven't got to after that. Never read Suttree by McCarthy either. ****. I'll probably never finish my short list. Especially since I have a habit of rereading by favorite books for about 6 month stretches. Trying to cut back on that.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #1308
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

I finally broke down and am reading Freakonomicks. It is interesting.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #1309
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I'm currently reading the final book (4th book) of John Gwynne's 'The Faithful and the Fallen' series. Fantastic!! Best thing I've read in the past year. Right on par with Brandon Sanderson's 'Stormlight Archive!'
Do you guys have any suggestions of good High Fantasy books?
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #1310
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
Anyone read Gene Wolfe? I keep hearing his name and works pop up. Specifically The Book of the New Sun series. Le Guin, GRRM, China Mieville, and Neil Gaiman have heaped loads of praise on the guy. Le Guin compares him to Melville and China Mieville calls him the greatest living author. High praise. Thinking of adding him to my short list.
One of my buddies swears by Shadow & Claw, keeps telling me to read it but I haven't got around to it yet.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #1311
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
One of my buddies swears by Shadow & Claw, keeps telling me to read it but I haven't got around to it yet.
Yeah I guess that's the first half of Book of the New Sun. His fans appear to be nuts for him.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #1312
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooptyHoops View Post
I'm currently reading the final book (4th book) of John Gwynne's 'The Faithful and the Fallen' series. Fantastic!! Best thing I've read in the past year. Right on par with Brandon Sanderson's 'Stormlight Archive!'
Do you guys have any suggestions of good High Fantasy books?
Well, I haven't read it yet but Book of the New Sun mentioned above is supposedly great. I guess its got some sci-fi mixed in as well. Sounds like an apocalyptic fantasy set on earth (in the future) with remnants of technology still around. Probably not quite what you mean by High Fantasy.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #1313
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Well, I haven't read it yet but Book of the New Sun mentioned above is supposedly great. I guess its got some sci-fi mixed in as well. Sounds like an apocalyptic fantasy set on earth (in the future) with remnants of technology still around. Probably not quite what you mean by High Fantasy.
I should have used the word EPIC fantasy.
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:58 AM   #1314
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Default does not pass the sniff test -- a limited hang out

Enhanced Interrogation: Inside the Minds and Motives of the Islamic Terrorists Trying To Destroy America Hardcover –

November 29, 2016
by James E. Mitchell Ph.D. (Author), Bill Harlow (Author)

New Book about the CIA’s Enhanced Interrogation (Torture) Program Fails the Sniff test

a one-star review by Mark H Gaffney

James Mitchell’s best-selling new book offers an invaluable insider’s account of the CIA’s enhanced interrogation program. The author is a retired US Air Force officer with a PhD in clinical psychology. From August 2002 through January 2009, Dr. Mitchell helped develop the EI program and also served as an interrogator; that is, until Obama shut the program down by executive order.

The author defends enhanced interrogation techniques, including water-boarding, as necessary to defend the nation against terrorism, a dubious claim, in my opinion. Mitchell also attempts to fend off charges by Sen. Diane Feinstein and others that he tortured 9/11 detainees for the CIA. He argues that water-boarding is not torture. Here again, Mitchell’s arguments do not sway me. Of course, the reader is free to make up his/her own mind. But I come down on the side of torture based on the material in the book and my own research.

Beyond the torture issue, the book has major problems. Although Mitchell obviously wrote it to defend himself, which is understandable given the personal attacks he faced, his book also serves the double purpose of shoring up the official 9/11 narrative. This is undoubtedly why the CIA cleared the author to reveal previously classified details about Abu Zubaydah and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM).

Readers should not be fooled by Mitchell’s criticism of some CIA practices and policies. The CIA obviously felt that reiterating the official 9/11 story was so important that it was worth taking some hits about its EIT program.

Why else would they allow Mitchell to print material that was deemed so sensitive in 2003 that the sitting CIA chief George Tenet refused to allow the 9/11 Commission to interview the 9/11 detainees, nor even to consult with the CIA staffers who had interrogated them? And this despite the fact the Commission was armed with a congressional mandate and subpoena authority. Tenet was adamant; no access was granted. The national security state would call the shots -- not Congress.

As a result, the 9/11 Commission was forced to rely on third-hand CIA write-ups that raised more questions than they answered. Most of the 9/11 Commission Report was based on these third-hand accounts; which from the standpoint of truth-telling explains why the report is essentially garbage, not worth the paper it was printed on.

Consider also the taped interrogations of Zubaydah and KSM. Mitchell mentions these videos (p. 249,260) and makes it clear he strongly supported the CIA decision to destroy them. Why destroy them? In the author’s own words: “for the good of the country.” But this is hogwash. Mitchell’s more likely motivation was to shield himself and the other interrogators from possible criminal prosecution by the Justice Department.

As we know, CIA-chief Michael Hayden served up another reason when he claimed that the tapes were destroyed because they posed “a security risk.” When pressed, Hayden explained that if the tapes had become public they would have put CIA officers and their families at risk of reprisals by Al Qaeda. That might have sounded half-way convincing in 2007 but has become threadbare with the passage of time.

No, there is a more plausible reason why the tapes had to be destroyed: if they had been released they would have exposed the official 9/11 narrative for the tapestry of lies that it is. Again, this explains the CIA’s willingness to take some criticism from Mitchell.

We learned in 2009, for instance, that nearly everything the CIA told us about Abu Zubaydah was wrong. Worse, it was a lie, because the CIA apparently knew all along that Zubaydah had no connection to Al Qaeda. This is surely why no charges were ever brought against him.

If you are skeptical, Google Brent Mickum, The truth about Abu Zubaydah, The Guardian, March 30, 2009

Also Google Kevin Ryan, Abu Zubaydah Poses a Real Threat to al-Qaeda, Foreign Policy Journal, October 17, 2012

The CIA had to perpetuate the fabric of lies about Zubaydah because the legend of the man spun by the CIA was crucial to build popular support for the invasion of Iraq, the creation of military tribunals, domestic spying, the encroaching police state and the enhanced interrogation program itself.

No doubt, this also explains why, 16 years after the 9/11 attacks, the government has yet to bring the master-mind, KSM, to trial. Nor will it -- ever. The last thing the CIA wants is to allow KSM an opportunity to tell his side of the story in a courtroom.

The reader is advised to keep the bigger picture in mind. Plane impacts and kerosene fueled fires cannot turn steel frame buildings to dust and cause them to come crashing down. Facts are facts. The World Trade Center collapses were controlled demolitions executed in broad daylight for purposes so dark and evil it beggars our human capacity to comprehend.

I mention this to provide some much needed context. Mitchell’s long-winded diatribes to the contrary notwithstanding, the problem has never been that “they hate us.” No, the problem has always been the shadow government's drive for world hegemony and its failed foreign policies toward that end.
Attached Images

Last edited by mhgaffney; 01-29-2017 at 12:26 PM..
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #1315
gobroncos313
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Lee. The biography of Robert E Lee. Anyone that likes American history would enjoy it especially related to military. It doesn't take long to figure out why the Lincoln Administration asked him to lead the Union army.
gobroncos313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #1316
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Finished The Sword of Truth series. Literally the worst ending I've ever read in my whole life. It was the closest thing to "Oh crap this paper is due in 5 minutes and I have to come up with something!"
Johnykbr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #1317
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

I have been on a Hunter S Thompson kick. I read The Rum Diaries, Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs, Fear and Loathing on the campaign trail 72, and of course Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

The guy was a loon but one hell of a writer.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #1318
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Working my way through the Solar Cycle by Gene Wolfe. Finished The Book of the New Sun and Urth of the New Sun. Totally stunning. Still wrapping my head around it. Wished I had discovered this guy sooner. Its criminal he doesn't have more mainstream recognition. I understand why, though. Definitely not an easy read. On to The Book of the Long Sun.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:37 PM   #1319
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I finally broke down and am reading Freakonomicks. It is interesting.
I just finished it. I thought it was a good read. I can't wait to tell my uber Catholic mom that abortion actual lowered the crime rate back in the 70's. That should be an interesting meal.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #1320
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
I just finished it. I thought it was a good read. I can't wait to tell my uber Catholic mom that abortion actual lowered the crime rate back in the 70's. That should be an interesting meal.
I would hold off on the rush there. While it would be foolish to say legalizing abortion had no effect on the crime rate in the 90s, that particular claim in Freakonomics has been widely contested and a large percentage of statisticians believe the true impact is as much as 60 percent lower.

With that said, that is a really interesting read that definitely makes one think.
Johnykbr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:46 PM   #1321
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
I guess since we are fessing up I too am guilty of listening to more books then I read. Half hour to work each way, 4 hours in the gym and then time in the yard. I probably listen to 12 hours a week of audio books. I usually listen at 1.5 speed and can get through most normal books in a little over a week.
Listening for an hour and a half each way to work and an eight hour day driving a desk. With breaks, meetings, the occasional time when I actually have to focus, I usually get in 8-9 hours/day. I get through most books somewhere between six hours and a day and a half. I usually listen at 1.7:1.
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:55 PM   #1322
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Just finished The Scar by Mieville. Had Blindsight by Peter Watts recommended to me. Anyone read it?
Read it. Liked it. I's not your typical first contact novel, that's for sure.
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:36 PM   #1323
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
Read it. Liked it. I's not your typical first contact novel, that's for sure.
Yeah, I ended up loving it. REALLY dark and depressing, though. Heavy stuff. The sequel, Echopraxia, was awesome as well. Watts posts on the sci fi subreddit and says he's working on a third.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #1324
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
I would hold off on the rush there. While it would be foolish to say legalizing abortion had no effect on the crime rate in the 90s, that particular claim in Freakonomics has been widely contested and a large percentage of statisticians believe the true impact is as much as 60 percent lower.

With that said, that is a really interesting read that definitely makes one think.
I am not rushing into anything other then a hilarious discussion with my mom. I don't believe most things I hear and read at face value. News, politicians, academics ect all have their own agenda's, which is fine.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #1325
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

Quote:
Working my way through the Solar Cycle by Gene Wolfe. Finished The Book of the New Sun and Urth of the New Sun. Totally stunning. Still wrapping my head around it. Wished I had discovered this guy sooner. Its criminal he doesn't have more mainstream recognition. I understand why, though. Definitely not an easy read. On to The Book of the Long Sun.
Wow really that good eh? I keep bumping those in favour of other books, guess I'll have to make time for them.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote