The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Default Is there something wrong with being a "fair-weather fan"?

Before the Giants game, I was generally feeling okay about the Broncos. I watched the game and it was really obvious the team was unprepared from the opening few drives. I didn't want to watch it. I ended up watching an episode of some show I've been meaning to catch up on. I came back to it in time to see the pick 6 that made it 17-3.

That was the last play I've seen of this season. I haven't even watched highlights. It wasn't something I decided to do at that moment. The next week I was busy and checked the score periodically, and found myself not rushing myself with the tasks I was tied up with. I was also busy the next Monday evening and I couldn't check the score until about 9:30. I probably ended up checking the score around 11:00 or so.

Something had changed... normally if I can't watch a game I'd be constantly checking the score. But I was totally checked out. Had no interest or intention to watch either of the next two games. In fact I stopped following Broncos news altogether. I was sick this past Sunday with nothing to do but rest, but I didn't even look at the score until the 2nd quarter I think (the score was 27-9 or so). I checked the score again in the 4th when the final score had been determined.

I've felt a ton of pain over this team and the other local teams in my life. And I knew what was happening Sunday even if I didn't watch it. The utter humiliation of it. And I felt that. For about, I don't know, a minute.... maybe two. Then I thought about something else.

I know how bad this is supposed to feel, because I know I normally would be feeling it but I don't. I don't really care. This is new for me, but I gotta tell you, know way in hell would I trade it for feeling bad about all this. I'm not sure what the virtue or the point of feeling bad about this is?

I think this is the definition of being a fair weather fan, if I am correct. Why is being a fair weather fan considered a bad thing?

The state of the country, world, and humanity is playing a part in this for me. I've had my fill of things I have no control over to feel bad about. There isn't room for this.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Being bad is up for you to decide.

But to clarify - if you're asking if it's a bad thing then deep down you already know you're a weak b****.
Action is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

I am not making an effort to reschedule or not go to things on game day anymore.

It is hard to not miss a couple games a year even when they are good but I am not going out of my way to watch the way I did when I knew they had a shot.

Hoping this week is a competitive game. Both teams have only 3 wins so we should have a shot but the season is over as far as I am concerned.

I still love my Broncos and will watch the games but they aren't my 1st priority.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

But to clarify - if you're asking if it's a bad thing then deep down you already know you're a weak b****.

But True
Drunk Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

You care less when thereís no monetary investment. Gamble. It makes the games so much more interesting across the league. Instead of turning the games off since the Giants, you shouldíve been dropping 5K on opponents since. Nothing takes the sting away from blow outs than filling your pockets along the way.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I still watch them but at this point with a smoking hole at QB, the higher the first round pick the better. The last three weeks went exactly as I thought and I only expect 1 win the rest of the way.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I think its an individual thing. If you have the energy to follow every single thing that happens with the team, good and bad then more power to you. But life (for me at least) is too busy to get overly upset about the Broncos doing poorly. I'd prefer if they won, but bad seasons happen. It sucks, but eh. Always next year.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

No. They don’t care, so I don’t. People who say you should blindly support them
are people that stay in relationships with big fat drug addicts and such.

When the broncos play hard and care, I will watch hard an care.

I knew we would get Siemianed last year and saw his coming, now the whole team caught autism. **** them.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
orange skier
Who was Chad Kelly...?

30 runs per game: we're unbeatable

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bye bye V.J.

Ahhhhh.........look: Sunday night was disgusting. Fricking disgusting. Obscene. I made it through the blocked punt. The team has left the season. The coaches have no clue. Weíre going to be here for a while. This one is going to take some time to get fixed. Weíre sideways, upside down. Ugly. Iím really glad college basketball is now happening. College football playoffs are coming up. Itís okay to look away for awhile.
I still bleed orange and blue. But itís really hard to watch a bad football team. This team is going the wrong direction. I need to see some understanding that someone in that organization is hurting as bad as we are. We got problems, and lots of them.
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #10
FireFly
Ring of Famer

We're a season away

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
No. They donít care, so I donít. People who say you should blindly support them
are people that stay in relationships with big fat drug addicts and such.

When the broncos play hard and care, I will watch hard an care.
I rarely agree with you, but you're on point with this.

To the OP, there is a difference between being "fair-weather" and not being "hard-core". You're allowed to be in between and most of Broncos fans fall in between.

I don't need the team to be winning for me to be excited and to watch every week, but I do need them to be competitive. At the moment they're not.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

Born and raised a Bills fan.... diehard until about 2 years ago, and thought to myself, what the **** am I doing watching this **** product for every week

Maybe itís that I beginning to need that Sunday time more, or that itís just not as much a priority....

But it did prepare me well for this Broncos season, itís easybto turn off and I️ donít plan to watch another game until they start winning. Itís entertainment, nothing more, and when itís not entertaining, stop.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
69bronco
Ring of Famer

I d been pretty fair weather since the duke showed the sheriff the door.. for who?? Now itís just a comedy..
69bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #13
qbronco
Lifelong Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bronco View Post
I d been pretty fair weather since the duke showed the sheriff the door.. for who?? Now itís just a comedy..
I agree. Just watch for the comedy. If you take it seriously you will go bat **** crazy.
qbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 PM   #14
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

FEAR THE FRO Lindsay

I'm a diehard like always watch every game except NE. It isn't as enjoyable because our O is so bad. I just don't take losses or bad seasons like I used to take them. I understand we are in transition and might have a few lean years until we bolster our O and have a staff that can get team to greater heights. We will go 4-1 in the next 5 games and ruin our high draft pick. Only Washington game seems like a sure loss.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #15
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I rarely agree with you, but you're on point with this.

To the OP, there is a difference between being "fair-weather" and not being "hard-core". You're allowed to be in between and most of Broncos fans fall in between.

I don't need the team to be winning for me to be excited and to watch every week, but I do need them to be competitive. At the moment they're not.
How can anyone rarely agree with me? Thatís a lot of wrongness
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #16
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

It’s a rough stretch and we’ve been spoiled as a fan base. It always blows my mind that this club has been to more Super Bowls than had losing seasons since Bowlen took over. That’s a pretty remarkable statistic right there when you think about it. They’ve given so much over the years it’s easy to forget that times like these are a way of life for a good number of franchises in the league. Just beat down and irrelevant as a regularity. We’re just not used to being irrelevant down the stretch. And we don’t accept losing. Nor should we. It’s gonna blow for a bit here so I just wanted to take a momen to highlight that, in general, this franchise has done right by us most of the time.

Now back to our gaping maw of mediocrity under center you dumbasses.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #17
Castinkas
Boom goes the dynamite

Game Manager

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Yes
Castinkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Its harder when there's really not even something to find a positive in. In 2010, we had tebow to look forward to. Same, obviously, with 2011. This year... what is there? Lynch i guess? What young players are you really excited about seeing. I watch every game because I love the broncos, but i literally have zero emotion invested in it at the moment.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #19
LongDongJohnson
CUCK

CUCK

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
You care less when thereís no monetary investment. Gamble. It makes the games so much more interesting across the league. Instead of turning the games off since the Giants, you shouldíve been dropping 5K on opponents since. Nothing takes the sting away from blow outs than filling your pockets along the way.
Agreed.

One of the best things about living in Vegas. I love betting bronco games.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:19 PM   #20
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I still watch every game. I like to know what I'm complaining about.
Jason in LA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:02 AM   #21
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

Agreed. At least watch the game so you can b**** about the team. You can learn a lot from the individual players even in a ****ty season. I will be watching this weekend at a bar as I know damn well it won't be on in California. I will also be late for my son's warm ups for his fall ball team....and I am the manager.

Real fans stick around. You can b**** and moan but you can only do so by watching and following the team.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:44 AM   #22
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Last couple of posters are missing a blatantly obvious point. I'm not complaining. It's not making the cut of things I'm going to complain about.

No one has made an even remotely intelligent argument why it's virtuous to care about this. Some of you seem more upset that I don't care about it than I am upset about this. What's so great about being upset about something that's here to entertain us? It's not entertaining.

Look, keep caring and feeling upset if you want. But whatever you feel you have to be upset over, it's always good practice to think about why you are upset over it and be able to justify it. I'm not buying into your dogma that the one true path is investing precious time on a team unconditionally.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:52 AM   #23
yerner
Ring of Famer

don't look now but the schedule is ****ing cake from here on out.... just sayin..
yerner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:02 AM   #24
go_broncos
Fire Vance Joseph

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

there is zero improvement in this team till now.
players already have given up the season.
i still watch the game just to see if there is any improvement.
its sad really how this team(esp defense) have sucked.
go_broncos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:38 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

I've been a fan of this team for a very long time. Two years ago, Von created a new defense standard and we brought home another Lombardi. I don't even consider this the bad times. Merely a bump in the road.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote