The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #526
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
They wanted Poeltl. I would assume they would prefer a young wing defender to replace Kawhi's D but I guess not.

A lot of fans are saying Kawhi should retire or just sit out the season instead of play for Toronto.
I don't think those fans realize the CBA prevents that unless he wants to retire for a full year and then the Raptors will still retain his rights due to his contract.
Where did you hear that?
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #527
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
I agree. Although Gasol should’ve been included in any trade scenario and Anunoby > Poeltl Buford got a team hooked knowing he’s a rental(wishful thinking on their part to assume Kawhi stays in Toronto). Lmao at Spurs shipping him right out the country. Long ways from warm palm trees.
Toronto is one of my favorite places anywhere, the cleanest big city I've ever seen, amazing food, culture, tons of things to do...and cold as a polar bear's ass. If it wasn't so frigid I wouldn't mind living up there, but I bet a SoCal boy like Leonard will hate it.

Yeah, Leonard will be moving on in a year probably, but DeRozan will be 30 by then anyway, so how much longer would they have kept him anyway? I don't see Poelti as a big piece in SA and the #1 they get will be a bench guy. On balance, it favors the Spurs a bit but if you're the Raptors maybe you figure Leonard can get you to the finals this year, then make a play for someone in the big free agent market in 2019 and perhaps talk him into staying?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #528
BroncosfanGuy
Stoney Case for Heisman

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I still don't understand why luck in the draft is "organic" yet a super team is some affront to morality.
I'm not sure that drafting consistently well and then consistently developing that talent is "luck."
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #529
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
I'm not sure that drafting consistently well and then consistently developing that talent is "luck."
As in anything, a lot is luck. Thats not to say skill isn't also involved.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #530
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Greed is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
Where did you hear that?
I saw it somewhere but for the life of me I cannot find it now. I remember one poster on realgm had remarked about either Shams Charania or Wojo saying that the Spurs did not have a player on the Raptors that was a deal breaker for them in terms of not getting him outside of DeRozan.

I searched all over and could not find that one either.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #531
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
I saw it somewhere but for the life of me I cannot find it now. I remember one poster on realgm had remarked about either Shams Charania or Wojo saying that the Spurs did not have a player on the Raptors that was a deal breaker for them in terms of not getting him outside of DeRozan.

I searched all over and could not find that one either.
So twitter, realgm, and several other basketball sites wasn’t all that accurate huh
Old 07-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #532
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Spurs wanted Anunoby along with it but it wasn’t a deal breaker if not included.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #533
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Spurs wanted Anunoby along with it but it wasn’t a deal breaker if not included.

That makes much more sense
Old 07-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #534
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Greed is good

Quote:
So twitter, realgm, and several other basketball sites wasn’t all that accurate huh
I think it has more to do with my inability to search forums and twitter properly after seeing things.

Quote:

That's the not the deal breaker tweet I was trying to find. Kept looking under Shams and Woj's twitters but didn't find it.

The Kawhi deal will definitely be interesting to watch play out. Spurs should be good with DeRozan added to their mix, though it's more of a mid range shooting team that the current 3 ball era would deem necessary.

The Raptors should be improved if OG can continue to develop and add more offense to his game.
That's 2 potential lock down wing defenders in Kawhi and Anunoby. Then you can funnel some of them inside to Ibaka.

Will be a different Raptors and Spurs team for sure.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #535
SoonerBronco
Rocket Man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wahoo McDaniel

Quote:
It's not that I "don't see the difference." I said I don't care. I don't put some kind of weird moralistic value on getting lucky in the draft as opposed to getting lucky in FA.

And the Spurs may not have been a dynasty without those guys, but you would have been better than mediocre. You won a chip without any of the above in 99. Duncan was the lynchpin of that team. And you got him because 1) David Robinson got hurt 2) you leapfrogged a few teams in the lottery... including one that, I believe, forfeited the right to the top pick because they were an expansion team. (though I could be remembering that wrong).

I'm not making this argument binary. The spurs have done a wonderful job of building their team. But I'm just not putting any sort of moralistic value on the way they did it to the way other teams do it. My exception is Durant to GSW because I thought that was cheap.
Durant...smh...once a Longhorn, always a Longhorn...

Spurs were very fortunate to get two of the most team oriented players in Robinson and Duncan. You notice that after Duncan retired is when all this unraveling seems to have started in SA. He was the glue of that franchise. One of the all time greats.
SoonerBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #536
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Good read.

When making the NBA isn't a cure-all: Mental health and black athletes
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote