The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley
Default Big Concern for NFL this season

"A new anxiety is filtering through the NFL's officiating ranks. The first training camp opens in 10 days. Preseason games are less than a month away. There has been unprecedented turnover among referees, including two unexpected retirements last month. And because of late approval from owners, hardly any of the league's 121 officials have been briefed in detail on a series of rule changes that will require fundamental changes in the way they administrate games."

More....http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/p...7725/undefined
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

With instant replay available and the inconsistency in referee calls, it would be interesting to do more from the head referee box and reduce the number of referees - a possible solution.

They could allow coaches could challenge 1 play per game without risking the loss of a timeout.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Expect a major CF, especially with that "lowering of the helmet" thing. Have they figured out what a catch is yet?

Last edited by Rohirrim; 07-11-2018 at 08:19 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

So it’s gonna get worse.

Hard to imagine.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #5
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marquez

The game is getting harder and harder to watch every year. To the point where the NFL doesn’t own my Sunday afternoons anymore.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Add in legal sports betting and if these refs **** up theyíll be taken to the woodshed.

Whole different ball game when money is involved. Now most the country will have access to that.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It pays enough they won't have any problem.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

So this will result in NE getting more calls.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #9
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Everyone thought the NFL was untouchable...
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #10
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

cant imagine it getting worse.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #11
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

More ladies coming to a sideline near you.
rmsanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
With instant replay available and the inconsistency in referee calls, it would be interesting to do more from the head referee box and reduce the number of referees - a possible solution.

They could allow coaches could challenge 1 play per game without risking the loss of a timeout.
There should be no limit on how many challenges you have... if you get them right.

Start with three. Challenge a call that's reversed in your favor, you still have three. Challenge another that is upheld, you now have two.

NFL games are made up of small shifts in momentum that can hinge on a bad call. If you feel like you have to save your challenges for high-leverage situations, and you can't challenge things earlier in the game that are just incredibly obvious, that is a problem.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

They should have jury boxes behind each sidelines, in the stands. Then, you could take an Official Ruling Time Out in a game. The coach's lawyer could present his case. People in the stands could applaud, or boo. The official's lawyer could present his case. Same thing. Celebrity lawyers! We could all watch the replay fifty times while the judge mulls over his rulings and the jury reviews the evidence. It would be like adding a court show to the games. There could be a panel discussion in the sports media studio. Hell, you could have transgendered judges! There could be a full hour of commercials incorporated into the time out! Think of the possibilities!
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #14
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

There are always some hiccups because the rules keep changing. I think it will be unlikely anything will be worse than the scab refs, though.

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #15
itswutz4dinna
Siemster's Union Member

Catch the ball, Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What the real refs did to the Broncos in the Divisional Round was far worse than the performance of the replacements. But I suppose the Vinovich-Peyton thing is an outlier.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #16
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Sorry, gunns. I just don't things will be any different. Fans always have different POVs. Same as ever was.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
The game is getting harder and harder to watch every year. To the point where the NFL doesnít own my Sunday afternoons anymore.
After watching the World Cup, and even The Tour De France I wish they would take a look at all the TV time outs.

I wish they would make the following changes:

Eliminate TV Time outs, instead tack on that time to the break between quarters and the half. Run a boat load of commercials then.

The only time they turn away to a full screen commercial during each quarter is after a score.

They need to do more split screen commercials, run them at time outs or at injuries or short stopages like 30 second timeouts.

If no one scores there are no full screen commercials.

They can charge more for when the commercial is run. Priority given for sponsoring TD's, or FG's or even Safeties, those cost more the more points that are scored. Charge more to be the 1st or last commercial ran at the end of the half as people would be more likely to see those.

If they could speed up the game so they run around 2 hours, 30 minutes they could fit a 4th Sunday game into the TV time slot which would mean more viewers and balance out the advertisers money, if not increase it. They may need to start the early games at 12:30 Eastern to do so.

This would give the viewers a better chance to see more competitive games and keep people like me in my seat all day even though I already have the Ticket, it is hard to flip around and pay close attention to all the games. I would rather them be efficient and see a 3rd time slot open where I have a better chance at catching more full division games or games of the week.

Just a thought though it isn't really on topic I guess.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
They should have jury boxes behind each sidelines, in the stands. Then, you could take an Official Ruling Time Out in a game. The coach's lawyer could present his case. People in the stands could applaud, or boo. The official's lawyer could present his case. Same thing. Celebrity lawyers! We could all watch the replay fifty times while the judge mulls over his rulings and the jury reviews the evidence. It would be like adding a court show to the games. There could be a panel discussion in the sports media studio. Hell, you could have transgendered judges! There could be a full hour of commercials incorporated into the time out! Think of the possibilities!
Only if Luis Gutierrez gets to give the speech he gave today at the hearing for the guy from the FBI who was texting.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Only if Luis Gutierrez gets to give the speech he gave today at the hearing for the guy from the FBI who was texting.
Hmmm.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 07-12-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Old 07-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I'm ready for the new league where they will play real football again. At least Broncos won some Superbowls before the decline of the NFL started.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #21
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I'm ready for the new league where they will play real football again. At least Broncos won some Superbowls before the decline of the NFL started.
God been hearing this same statement for 30 years.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #22
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

HoFer

Quote:
After watching the World Cup, and even The Tour De France I wish they would take a look at all the TV time outs.

Eliminate TV Time outs, instead tack on that time to the break between quarters and the half. Run a boat load of commercials then.

The only time they turn away to a full screen commercial during each quarter is after a score.

They need to do more split screen commercials, run them at time outs or at injuries or short stopages like 30 second timeouts.

They can charge more for when the commercial is run. Priority given for sponsoring TD's, or FG's or even Safeties, those cost more the more points that are scored. Charge more to be the 1st or last commercial ran at the end of the half as people would be more likely to see those.

If they could speed up the game so they run around 2 hours, 30 minutes they could fit a 4th Sunday game into the TV time slot which would mean more viewers and balance out the advertisers money, if not increase it. They may need to start the early games at 12:30 Eastern to do so.

This would give the viewers a better chance to see more competitive games and keep people like me in my seat all day even though I already have the Ticket, it is hard to flip around and pay close attention to all the games. I would rather them be efficient and see a 3rd time slot open where I have a better chance at catching more full division games or games of the week.

The NHL has it down pretty good with commercials. Thereís no commercials for the first 10 minutes or so of every period and none in overtime. Itís like the NFL is seeing how far they can go before they start seeing a decline in revenue.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #23
wolf754life
MACHINE GUN KELLY

KELLY in 2018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#KELLYREDEEMED!

nfl is rigged

just look at the patriots.
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
The NHL has it down pretty good with commercials. Thereís no commercials for the first 10 minutes or so of every period and none in overtime. Itís like the NFL is seeing how far they can go before they start seeing a decline in revenue.
I would be happy with that as well.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #25
Omnipicus
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Have you used gamepass? No commercial and the viewing time is half as long. Itís amazing
Omnipicus is offline   Reply With Quote