The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Default Don't forget about Chad Kelly

http://www.9news.com/article/sports/...y/73-507744397

When considering Baker Mayfield, don't forget about Chad Kelly

A lot of Broncos fans seem to be foaming at the mouth for the chance to nab Baker Mayfield. The thing is - we already have a Baker Mayfield. Anyone remember Chad Kelly?

Author: Mike Klis
Published: 9:31 AM MST January 13, 2018

ENGLEWOOD—One argument against the Denver Broncos drafting Baker Mayfield is that in Chad Kelly they already have Baker Mayfield.

Kelly and Mayfield share some strikingly similar characteristics. They’re both on the shorter side of ideal quarterback size with Kelly standing 6-foot-2 and Mayfield listed at 6-1. They both are from the athletic mold of quarterback where they can pick up first downs with their legs. They both succeeded at big-time college programs with Kelly playing big for Mississippi against Alabama in back-to-back years and Mayfield putting up extraordinary numbers while lifting Oklahoma past Ohio State and Oklahoma State.

And they both have a streak of combativeness within their confident personalities.

There are differences, too. Mayfield is projected to go anywhere from top 10 overall to second-round pick in the NFL Draft that will be held April 26-28, while Kelly became the Mr. Irrelevant, or last, selection in last year’s draft when the Broncos took him No.253 overall.

Kelly is well ahead of Mayfield, though, as an NFL quarterback. Even if he fully redshirted his rookie season to recover from injuries to his knee and throwing wrist, Kelly said the past season was invaluable to his development.

“There’s so much more you can learn but I think throughout these 16 games, 17 weeks, I’ve learned so much just the game of football, and situations, the different coverages defenses can play,’’ Kelly told 9News the day after the Broncos’ season ended. “I mean we’ve seen about every single coverage this year. You’ve got to perfect the offense but also you have to study the defense and know where you’re going with all your reads and stuff.’’

Broncos general manager John Elway has ignited exhaustive talk-show fodder and party conversation by letting it be known he will make significant changes to his quarterback position this offseason. The Broncos could make a huge splash in free agency with the likes of Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins, or try to finagle a way to acquire Alex Smith or Case Keenum. They could drop down a level and figure out how to acquire Eli Manning or another level for a Josh McCown, Tyrod Taylor or, heaven forbid, Jay Cutler.

The Manning, McCown, Taylor, Cutler types would be almost certainly followed by the Broncos taking another QB with their No. 5 overall draft pick.

The possibilities there would be Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph, Sam Darnold, Lamar Jackson and Mayfield.

It’s dizzying number of names for most Broncos followers to think about, but not for one current member of the roster.

“It doesn’t faze me at all,’’ Kelly said. “I’m going to still go in and work every single day and work my tail off and try to get better.’’

The Broncos are expected to allow Brock Osweiler to leave for free agency and they may attempt to trade away Trevor Siemian or Paxton Lynch.

Kelly wouldn’t have a realistic chance of starting next year, but he could possibly become the Broncos’ No. 3 quarterback with a chance to become the backup at some point during the year.

Not surprising for a hyper competitive, elite athlete, Kelly isn’t setting his sights on No. 3.

“I’m going in there thinking I can play football,’’ Kelly said. “I have great players around me and also there are other great quarterbacks in the room. Every day I’m going to go in and work as hard as I can and try to help this team win, whether it’s in a backup role or as a starting quarterback.’’
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm not counting him out. I'm not writing him off. I just don't think he will be Plan A. He's going to need a great training camp and then take advantage of late game preseason snaps and then take it from there.

GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Who?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
JohnnySunshine
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He was the last pick of the draft.

Yea, I'm just going to go ahead and count him out and save myself the time.
JohnnySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Nonsense. Chad Kelly is half the QB Baker Mayfield has proved himself to be. This Chad Kelly hype is such garbage.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Nonsense. Chad Kelly is half the QB Baker Mayfield has proved himself to be. This Chad Kelly hype is such garbage.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
505bronco
Pro Bowler

ALL IN FOR MAYFIELD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Al Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
Do yourself a favor and come back with some actual facts about your opinions. We get that your lazy just touching the rolling laughing face emoji and all but why do you think Kelly would be better? Because he has a year in the NFL? You think all that time on ir he had any live meaningful snaps against NFL def? You think if Elway thought so highly of him he would be looking for the next starter?
But but he played in the sec?
NFL have scouts for a reason, because you know it's their job to know what player is better then the next, but when 90% of them say bakers a first round talent and after watching him for 3 years I believe he has the desire to not only succeed, but while doing so, prove those people wrong who have and continue to doubt him wrong. Give me that guy every time over a 7th round pick that was a favor to his uncle.
505bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505bronco View Post
Do yourself a favor and come back with some actual facts about your opinions. We get that your lazy just touching the rolling laughing face emoji and all but why do you think Kelly would be better? Because he has a year in the NFL? You think all that time on ir he had any live meaningful snaps against NFL def? You think if Elway thought so highly of him he would be looking for the next starter?
But but he played in the sec?
NFL have scouts for a reason, because you know it's their job to know what player is better then the next, but when 90% of them say bakers a first round talent and after watching him for 3 years I believe he has the desire to not only succeed, but while doing so, prove those people wrong who have and continue to doubt him wrong. Give me that guy every time over a 7th round pick that was a favor to his uncle.
Kelly played against better competition, in a better conference, with a lesser team. The Ole Miss offense was Chad Kelly, Treadwell, and Engram.

I am not impressed by the Big 12.

Why should i be? Big 12 is basically just Oklahoma and Texas.

They dont even got 12 teams in that conference.

Last edited by ShaneFalco; 01-13-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Old 01-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
ShaneFalco
Infamous

And as much of a headcase, Kelly was off the field.

There isnt a video of him getting tackled by some fatty police.

No elusiveness or ability to escape from the police
Old 01-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
505bronco
Pro Bowler

ALL IN FOR MAYFIELD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Al Wilson

Lol, if your too lazy to use google I can't help you. We get it, your just lazy And what us to believe your narrative. ����
505bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505bronco View Post
Lol, if your too lazy to use google I can't help you. We get it, your just lazy And what us to believe your narrative. ����
you slurping Mayfield a little too hard.

While i am not wanting Denver to waste a top 5 pick on a guy that should be drafted in 2nd or 3rd round.

Last edited by ShaneFalco; 01-13-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Old 01-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #12
jacob2125
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
I'm not counting him out. I'm not writing him off. I just don't think he will be Plan A. He's going to need a great training camp and then take advantage of late game preseason snaps and then take it from there.

So we can cut him?
jacob2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #13
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob2125 View Post
So we can cut him?
Vikings need more QB talent yo.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #14
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob2125 View Post
So we can cut him?
Sadly, yes.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySunshine View Post
He was the last pick of the draft.

Yea, I'm just going to go ahead and count him out and save myself the time.
John believes in the Bill Walsh theory of always taking a QB in the draft to develop. The theory is to always have someone in line developing as much for your coaches to stay on top of their coaching technique as much as to develop a QB who can play. If you don't have a QB in line all the time your staff could fall behind or not be prepared when they need to draft a Good QB.

I think a lot of people here who hate our late round picks like Trevor and Kelly forget that they weren't taken to start, getting production out of the players is just gravy. They are taking these guys to keep the staff on point and to have someone in line for Next Man Up should an injury happen. Every now and then you might get lucky and hit on a guy but that is not the only reason John is taking a QB in the 6th or 7th round of the draft.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
I disagree. Had Kelly not been injured, he would have been drafted much higher. He’s a better NFL prospect, right now, than Mayfield. I personally hope the Broncos really allow Kelly to compete for the starting spot. As of right now, I can “almost” guarantee you he’s more likely to start as the Broncos QB next season than Siemian or Osweiler (both will be gone) and in a better position to impress the coaching staff than Lynch.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #17
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Kelly has the same characteristics as Mayfield and I think more legit size for the QB spot.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I disagree. Had Kelly not been injured, he would have been drafted much higher. He’s a better NFL prospect, right now, than Mayfield. I personally hope the Broncos really allow Kelly to compete for the starting spot. As of right now, I can “almost” guarantee you he’s more likely to start as the Broncos QB next season than Siemian or Osweiler (both will be gone) and in a better position to impress the coaching staff than Lynch.
I think Mayfield sucks, but Kelly was never regarded as highly as Mayfield is right now.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #19
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Merry Swagmas

Old 01-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #20
ShaneFalco
Infamous

And he has the arm to make any NFL throw.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #21
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
Merry Swagmas

It’s great the Broncos allow their “special” players to benefit from their community enrichment programs too
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #22
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
It’s great the Broncos allow their “special” players benefit from their community enrichment programs too
you keep talking like that.

Kelly might revert to his old life and pick the AK back up.

And you could get sprayed.

Let the man help the children, he put his guns down.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #23
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I think Mayfield sucks, but Kelly was never regarded as highly as Mayfield is right now.
Again, if Kelly had not been injured, he would’ve been drafted much higher. But, that said, his college experience and his will-to-win type of attitude, in college, is similar to Baker Mayfield. But, Kelly has something Mayfield does not have, and that is the experience of being inside and NFL franchise, studying, working with coaches, and learning the pro game. So, yes, he’s a better NFL prospect right now, then Baker Mayfield.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #24
ShaneFalco
Infamous

The ball also jumps off his arm on deep to intermediate throws.

Something i haven't really seen with mayfield.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #25
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

I gotta say I'm impressed that he managed to not generate any negative press in his first year.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote