The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #601
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Kelly outshines Lynch in Broncos scrimmage

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...mage/37315763/

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — Chad Kelly outshined Paxton Lynch in the Denver Broncos' scrimmage Sunday, and that might have earned him work with the No. 2 offense in his quest to win the backup job behind Case Keenum.
"Yeah, he looked good," coach Vance Joseph said after watching Kelly throw two touchdown passes in a five-play span following Lynch's erratic performance that included a sack and a near interception.
Asked if Kelly will get a "promotion" to working with the 2s, Joseph said, "It hasn't happened yet. It could happen in the future."
Joseph declared in the offseason the backup job was up for grabs, but throughout the first eight days of training camp Lynch worked with the No. 2 offense and Kelly took scraps with the 3s .
Still, Kelly, a seventh-round pick out of Ole Miss in 2017 who sat out his rookie season with knee and wrist injuries, has looked significantly sharper than the error-prone Lynch, the 2016 first-round draft pick from Memphis who failed to beat out another seventh-rounder, Trevor Siemian, in 2016 and '17.
"He's a playmaker," Joseph said of Kelly. "He's always been a playmaker. You watch his college tape two years ago, he just makes plays. He doesn't always look pretty, but he just makes plays."
After Keenum's signing this spring, Joseph said Lynch should benefit by sitting back and learning from Keenum rather than fighting for the starting job as he had the last two summers.
"It's definitely helped him, just watching every day how Case prepares for practice," Joseph said Sunday. "He's gotten better from that. And half of his job is between the ears. So the better he gets there, the better he's going to play quarterback for us."
Asked what he felt Lynch had learned from him, Keenum said, "That's probably a better question for him," but added, "I think he's doing a great job getting the ball out, a big, tall guy, he's got a strong arm and he knows where to go with the football a lot of times and he's learning from his mistakes, just like we all are."
Lynch was the only QB who didn't stop to talk with the media after the scrimmage, and the team said he'd address reporters for the first time at camp on Tuesday following the players' day off.
Kelly declined to lobby for snaps with the No. 2 offense.
"No, I've just got to keep on performing to the best of my ability, execute whatever play is called and find the open guy and bring my team down the field, whether it's with the 1s, 2s or 3s," Kelly said. "I'm focused on trying to get better in the classroom and out here on the football field."
Keenum didn't get into the end zone in his dozen snaps at the scrimmage, but he did move the chains against Denver's No. 1 defense.
"He was good. You know we have a really good defense and when you turn on the lights and have a real pass rush, that's a top-5 defense. So, I'm not surprised," Joseph said. "And it's been more competitive this year than it was last year offensively. They've won more days than they won last year at training camp.
"So, I am not down on the offense at all."
Neither is star cornerback Chris Harris Jr., who said, "Our offense is way better than they were last year, with Case under center. He's throwing great balls. He's had great accuracy all camp. He's improved from the OTAs. When I watch film, the (first) offense is doing something totally different than the (second) offense.
"It's like they're a level 10 and everybody else is a level way lower. So, Case and them are clicking right now and I expect them to put up points. I don't see anybody really just shutting them down with the receivers that we got, and our O-line is way better. So, I see them putting up points, at least 30 a game."
Keenum said he figures to get a better sense of the Broncos' offense once the preseason gets here and it's not just situational drills he's running.
The Broncos open their exhibition schedule Saturday night against Keenum's old team, the Minnesota Vikings, where Siemian is now backing up Kirk Cousins.
NOTES: In addition to C Matt Paradis (illness) and TE Jeff Heuerman (knee), LT Ronald Leary (knee) and DT Matt Gotsis (ankle) were held out of the scrimmage as a precaution.
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #602
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Broncos Camp: Chad Kelly makes his move to force the team's hand

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/broncos...185301472.html
Old 08-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #603
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #604
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Denver Broncos: Chad Kelly Shines in Team Scrimmage

On the eighth day of training camp, the Denver Broncos held a team scrimmage. One player that stood out was Mr. Irrelevant himself Chad Kelly.

As it stands right now, Chad Kelly and Paxton Lynch are currently battling for the backup quarterback job. It is a beautiful sight when the team has a clear cut starter at perhaps the most important position in football. But it is important to have a quality backup. We saw that with the Philadelphia Eagles and Nick Foles last season.
It has been buzzing that neither backup has done a whole lot to take the reigns behind Case Keenum. The last two days, Chad Kelly has done a bit to prove that he could have the potential for that role.

Denver had their team scrimmage on Sunday. The player that stood out, according to many watching, was Mr. Irrelevant himself. Kelly had a solid day during the scrimmage. The Ole Miss quarterback threw two touchdowns on the day. It appeared as if he was in rhythm during his time out there.
This is a good sign for the Denver Broncos. While Chad Kelly had to knock off some rust the first few days of camp, it appears he is well on his way to getting back into playing mode. We will get to see how much he can do in Saturday’s preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings.
Perhaps it is time to see what Kelly can do with the second team. There has been plenty knocking on the door saying that it is time. I believe if he can continue this pace, his chance might arrive sooner than we all think. I know I would like to see what the two backups can provide for the team.
Do not blink, but Chad Kelly’s rust might be wearing off and could be a sneaky candidate for the backup quarterback job.

https://predominantlyorange.com/2018...eam-scrimmage/
Old 08-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #605
kappys
Ring of Famer

ďIt will be of little avail to the

We all knew Kelly would take the job from Lynch, it was just a matter of time. In this case it took a week though I suspect Lynch will get 2nd team snaps in the Minn game before they make it official and promote Kelly.
kappys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #606
ShaneFalco
Infamous

elway will look alot better if he finds a QB in the 7th round with last pick of the draft, then continuing to mess around with the crying paxton.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #607
yerner
Ring of Famer

maybe they just move on from Lynch and go sign derek anderson with kelly being the young guy they are working on. if case goes down, they probably should have a vet around.
yerner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #608
Broncoandrew
Ring of Famer

In hoc signo vinces

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keenum (I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
maybe they just move on from Lynch and go sign derek anderson with kelly being the young guy they are working on. if case goes down, they probably should have a vet around.
I doubt Kelly is capable as a second string QB. Sloter was so fantastic, just to sit behind Keenum, and get his dreams dashed by... Siemian.
Broncoandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #609
kappys
Ring of Famer

ďIt will be of little avail to the

Why sign a vet backup? I mean we are a 5-11 team looking to rebound. This isn't a team that needs a QB who can steady the ship for a few games on the way to the superbowl if the starter picks up a knock. Better to just let Kelly have a go if Case gets injured so that they can see him in a real game situation and know what they have in him.
kappys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #610
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoandrew View Post
I doubt Kelly is capable as a second string QB. Sloter was so fantastic, just to sit behind Keenum, and get his dreams dashed by... Siemian.
Why do you doubt the swag?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #611
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
Why sign a vet backup? I mean we are a 5-11 team looking to rebound. This isn't a team that needs a QB who can steady the ship for a few games on the way to the superbowl if the starter picks up a knock. Better to just let Kelly have a go if Case gets injured so that they can see him in a real game situation and know what they have in him.
i think you would need a vet even if you play kelly. especially if we are in the hunt. and paxton sticking around if he loses out to kelly seems like a bad idea. just go grab a seventh for paxton and get a tj yates type.
yerner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #612
Broncoandrew
Ring of Famer

In hoc signo vinces

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keenum (I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
Why do you doubt the swag?
Because he's shining agaisnt third string defenders? He shows up vs the 2s and is better than Lynch I'm all over it, but we see the great 3rd string guy every year, and every year they do nothing vs better players.
Broncoandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #613
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoandrew View Post
Because he's shining agaisnt third string defenders? He shows up vs the 2s and is better than Lynch I'm all over it, but we see the great 3rd string guy every year, and every year they do nothing vs better players.
Who else would he be playing against now?

I don't know if they waived him if he'd get claimed or not, but after last year's experience, if they see him as a future guy they'd like to keep, they'd better be ready to just carry him on the roster.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #614
Guess Who
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Also because with this FO, if Lynch isn't #2, then they bring in a vet QB to backup, which means Lynch is #3 and Kelly is gone. So if you want Kelly to stick, you need Lynch at #2 for this one year.
Elway has pretty much always stuck to best player theory. I think there is no way Kelly is not #2 on the roster unless Lynch is cut and a vet is brought in.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:28 AM   #615
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Elway has pretty much always stuck to best player theory. I think there is no way Kelly is not #2 on the roster unless Lynch is cut and a vet is brought in.
There is no way Kelly would make it through waivers. He almost fell out of the draft because of his injury and character concerns. No one doubts his talent.

He's been a Bronco for 15 months without incident. He appears to be healthy. There are probably 10 GMs that would be happy to care a third QB of his caliber.

I don't think it will matter. I think Elway is one of them.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:37 AM   #616
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
There is no way Kelly would make it through waivers. He almost fell out of the draft because of his injury and character concerns. No one doubts his talent.

He's been a Bronco for 15 months without incident. He appears to be healthy. There are probably 10 GMs that would be happy to care a third QB of his caliber.

The idea of carrying only two QBís has always puzzled me. Teams carry 3 or 4 tight ends and enough other skill position guys to go 3 deep many times yet the most important position on the field and the most vulnerable to injury youíre only carrying 2 so you can add a 5th safety or something? Itís foolish. If one goes down youíre going to have to go find another one anyway, and even if it doesnít happen it keeps you from developing a guy who might be a long range solution sometimes. Letís hope they learned from last year.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:09 AM   #617
Guess Who
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post

Yep, thus Kelly will be #2, if Elway doesn't think he is quite ready, Lynch will be cut a vet will be brought in and Kelly will be #3.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #618
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Year 3 and Lynch still look worse than the 3rd QBs.

Kelly would win this job for back up over Lynch if 31 other FOs/HCs were deciding it.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #619
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
The idea of carrying only two QBís has always puzzled me. Teams carry 3 or 4 tight ends and enough other skill position guys to go 3 deep many times yet the most important position on the field and the most vulnerable to injury youíre only carrying 2 so you can add a 5th safety or something? Itís foolish. If one goes down youíre going to have to go find another one anyway, and even if it doesnít happen it keeps you from developing a guy who might be a long range solution sometimes. Letís hope they learned from last year.
Uh, because you can use two TE's at the same time. Or line them up in the backfield. Or use them on ST.

Keeping a guy on the roster you pray never sees the field is not the most productive use of roster space.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #620
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Year 3 and Lynch still look worse than the 3rd QBs.

Kelly would win this job for back up over Lynch if 31 other FOs/HCs were deciding it.

Why did it take Cecil so long to be tired of it
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #621
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Uh, because you can use two TE's at the same time. Or line them up in the backfield. Or use them on ST.

Keeping a guy on the roster you pray never sees the field is not the most productive use of roster space.
And the 4 running backs? The 5 safeties? The 4 OLBs?

Here's what's "productive use of roster space":

Not having to sign a bargain bin QB in week 13 who's never seen your playbook before.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #622
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
And the 4 running backs? The 5 safeties? The 4 OLBs?

Here's what's "productive use of roster space":

Not having to sign a bargain bin QB in week 13 who's never seen your playbook before.
I think most teams are of the mindset that if they're dipping into their 3rd QB on the season, the season is effectively already lost.

But I'm not saying they won't keep PL on as a 3rd, if only because his contract forces them to pay him regardless. Nobody else will take him at that price.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #623
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Why did it take Cecil so long to be tired of it
Lammey is an idiot. He begins his tirade with a lie, "It's been three years".

It's been two years, and one week of TC. The first preseason game hasn't been played, much less the first deadline for cuts. "What his eyes tell him"...at a week of drills and guys mostly running around in shorts...doesn't really interest me much. His only purpose is to draw attention to himself.

Lynch is in his final TC more than likely, but he should be given the opportunity to at least have that. I like what I've heard of Kelly so far, but let's not pretend he's playing real games out there. It's practice. They will both have a chance to show what they've got soon enough.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #624
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I think most teams are of the mindset that if they're dipping into their 3rd QB on the season, the season is effectively already lost.
That's not the whole reason you keep three guys. See Sloter.

Keeping a guy you're high on with the roster allows you to let him progress faster than he would on the PS, and it also protects him from being stolen. If you lose one QB to injury, you're going to go sign another one anyway, one that probably doesn't know your playbook, and isn't a real NFL player. When you get down to talking about using a WR as your "emergency QB"...that's a bad choice.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #625
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Keeping a guy you're high on with the roster allows you to let him progress faster than he would on the PS, and it also protects him from being stolen.
Uh.. We're talking about the same guy here, Paxton Lynch, right?