The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #2376
bronco militia
made a business decision"

Bad, Bad, Bad Donks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
That city is religiously about hockey at all levels, not just the leafs. New York essentially has 3 teams with the Devils in nearby proximity as well. If it works for NYC, I'm sure Toronto can be successful as well with the number of companies and corporations looking to buy suites and high end seats. Financially it makes sense.

I don't think the Maple Leafs have anything to be concerned about.
oh yeah, no doubt. I would worry more about the new franchise
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #2377
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Greed is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Depends on how you define struggling. There are about 6-8 teams that are technically losing money every year, but stay afloat because they have stupid, but generous, investors pumping a ton of money into them.
Struggling to me would be losing money, cannot get a decent fan turn out, cannot get a new arena if needed, cannot get help from the city in case repairs or upgrades are needed.
In short, near insolvency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
And how many Toronto fans, who have been born and raised on the team and have the Leafs in their blood, are just gonna turn their back on them? I'm sure there is a certain segment of the fan base sufficiently pissed off at the team that will change sides but how many people is that really gonna be? This is like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, or Dallas getting a second football team.
Toronto is similar to LA, NY or CHI in the US. It would have little trouble getting fan support for a 2nd team. There are also likely plenty of fans who hate the Leafs and would actively route for a 2nd team to dethrone them as the king of Toronto.
You could put 3 teams in Toronto and still likely not hurt with all the hockey obsessed fans in that country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
uhh a football fans allegiance is until death. (See chiefs, browns fans......poor bastards )
The Browns were out of football for multiple seasons and most just flocked to the Bengals or bandwagoned some other team, just like Baltimore fans did until the Ravens came back to replace the Colts.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #2378
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quebec City is a fine choice...maybe Seattle too.

Would be better to just relocate Arizona and Florida to those locations rather than expanding.
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #2379
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Theres rumors of 4 teams, that would make 34.
Personally this is how I would do it.
Seattle (31)
Toronto #2 (32)
Quebec (Florida)
Kansas City/Las Vegas (Arizona)

32 teams.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 AM   #2380
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
And how many Toronto fans, who have been born and raised on the team and have the Leafs in their blood, are just gonna turn their back on them? I'm sure there is a certain segment of the fan base sufficiently pissed off at the team that will change sides but how many people is that really gonna be? This is like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, or Dallas getting a second football team.
you could say it would be like giving new york a second baseball team

owait they did that and it worked out fine (from a financial perspective, at least)

still, there's no reason to expand like this, especially when the KHL is already siphoning European players, and will only continue to do so in the future. move phoenix and florida to seattle and quebec.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #2381
canadianbroncosfan
Pro Bowler

M.W.A. - Foreign Affairs Minister

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
It's not so much about turning their backs on the Leafs. When it comes down to it, Torontonians love hockey more than the mayor loves alcohol and crack. That city can easily support another franchise.
canadianbroncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #2382
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
Theres rumors of 4 teams, that would make 34.
Personally this is how I would do it.
Seattle (31)
Toronto #2 (32)
Quebec (Florida)
Kansas City/Las Vegas (Arizona)

32 teams.
Yeah but 600 million doesn't sound better than 1.2 billion or more for the owners. The owners make a substantial amount from this and NHLPA can't touch a dime.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #2383
bronco militia
made a business decision"

Bad, Bad, Bad Donks!

the expansion talk is probably bogus

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...down/#comments
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #2384
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
you could say it would be like giving new york a second baseball team

owait they did that and it worked out fine (from a financial perspective, at least)
That's a bit different though. New York has had multiple teams since the beginning of the MLB, no?

If Green Bay had the population/infrastructure, do you guys think a second football team would be a good idea there?

From my experiences in Toronto, its hard for me to imagine another team successfully competing with the Leafs over a long period of time. Maybe you guys are right though.

EDIT: It would warm my heart to watch an expansion team in Toronto win the cup before the Leafs. Okay I changed my mind! I'm all for this.

Last edited by ShiftyEyedWaterboy; 08-28-2014 at 08:31 AM..
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #2385
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Greed is good

Quote:
That's a bit different though. New York has had multiple teams since the beginning of the MLB, no?

If Green Bay had the population/infrastructure, do you guys think a second football team would be a good idea there?

From my experiences in Toronto, its hard for me to imagine another team successfully competing with the Leafs over a long period of time. Maybe you guys are right though.

EDIT: It would warm my heart to watch an expansion team in Toronto win the cup before the Leafs. Okay I changed my mind! I'm all for this.
The Giants, Dodgers and Yankees all used to play in NY.
The Giants and Dodgers moved in 1957, the Dodgers from Brooklyn, the Giants from Manhattan.
The Yanks and Giants played in Manhattan.
The Yankees were the original Baltimore Orioles franchise.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #2386
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

A second NHL team in Toronto could easily survive. The Leafs are by no means sacred in Toronto, it would be very different to try to put a second team in Montreal. I don't see why they haven't already stuck a team in Mississauga or Etobicoke. The fans are there, the Leafs have been **** for so long that it wouldn't take much to win over the younger fan base and a lot of the high income earners are out of towners who would most likely love having an alternative to the Leafs and their ridiculous prices.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #2387
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
A second NHL team in Toronto could easily survive. The Leafs are by no means sacred in Toronto, it would be very different to try to put a second team in Montreal. I don't see why they haven't already stuck a team in Mississauga or Etobicoke. The fans are there, the Leafs have been **** for so long that it wouldn't take much to win over the younger fan base and a lot of the high income earners are out of towners who would most likely love having an alternative to the Leafs and their ridiculous prices.
Maybe it will work then. If it even happens. Its just a little hard for me to imagine another team besides the Leafs in Toronto. Sounds weird just talking about it.

God, I hate them so much. Or some of their fans to be specific. I hope the Wings overtake them in Stanley Cups in my lifetime.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #2388
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Maybe it will work then. If it even happens. Its just a little hard for me to imagine another team besides the Leafs in Toronto. Sounds weird just talking about it.

God, I hate them so much. Or some of their fans to be specific. I hope the Wings overtake them in Stanley Cups in my lifetime.
Everybody hates Leafs fans.

I think Toronto needs another team, the Leafs have been so bad for so long, something has to happen. Toronto is such a huge market and the fans there are loyal to a fault.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #2389
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Everybody hates Leafs fans.

I think Toronto needs another team, the Leafs have been so bad for so long, something has to happen. Toronto is such a huge market and the fans there are loyal to a fault.
I suppose it might light a fire under their ass at least.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #2390
extralife
Ring of Famer

plus you have to realize that maple leafs tickets are really expensive. a new franchise would sell tickets for a lot less, so you'd get things like people who would never pay for leafs tickets taking their families out to see the new team. you'd get working class support as well. to my knowledge, that's basically what happened with the mets in new york.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #2391
canadianbroncosfan
Pro Bowler

M.W.A. - Foreign Affairs Minister

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
plus you have to realize that maple leafs tickets are really expensive. a new franchise would sell tickets for a lot less, so you'd get things like people who would never pay for leafs tickets taking their families out to see the new team. you'd get working class support as well. to my knowledge, that's basically what happened with the mets in new york.
Expensive and damn near impossible to get even if you have the bank roll.
canadianbroncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #2392
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Greed is good

Quote:
The Mets are like a pity ****. They don't matter even when they win.
They wish they were the Clippers or the Angels.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #2393
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
The Mets are like a pity ****. They don't matter even when they win.
They wish they were the Clippers or the Angels.
and yet they still have a solid fanbase, a new stadium, and a **** load of money. saying that anyone wishes they were the clippers makes you sound four years old. the clippers were probably the most irrelevant franchise in north american professional sports for thirty years. it took the NBA interfering in the CP3 trade and their owner ousting himself by publicly expressing racist angst over magic johnson, who is only the most beloved athlete in the history of LA sports, to luck them into relevance.