The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #151
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer
 
GoneFishin''s Avatar
 
Longtime listener first time caller

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 7,498

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default


GoneFishin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #152
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32,216

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I'd say that the Bowlen children not being qualified to run an organization like a NFL team is irrelevant, because one of them will be selected. There doesn't appear to be a way around that. So it's up to the trust to figure out who the most qualified is. I wouldn't be surprised if they already know who that is, and they are preparing that person behind the scenes. Clearly, it's not Beth.
The big question is whether the other kids will have enough leverage to extract enough blood to jeopardize the ability to hold a majority stake.

I think Pat only owned 70% as it was.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #153
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 78,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
DMac on The Fan made a good point about being qualified to be the lead owner of the Broncos. I'm not about to make a habit of agreeing with him because he seems to just fill in the blanks with his own story a lot, but he was saying that the main qualification to run the Broncos is being one of the Bowlen children. Anybody who doesn't meet that criteria is unqualified. Only seven people meet that qualification. So yes, Beth is qualified to be the lead owner of the team. The question really is, out of the seven, who is the most qualified? And what is the time line to pick one? It doesn't seem like the managers of the trust are going to answer either of those questions.
I can't envision any way this doesn't end up in court.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #154
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,374

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post

More and more itís just starting to feel like something fishy is going on. Theyíre just being so vague and it seems like they are actively delaying the whole process. Is there something actually wrong with Beth Bowlen, because on the surface it would seem a 47 year old with a law degree is at least as qualified as a 27 year old with an MBA. Frankly the age difference is huge in my eyes.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #155
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nakatomi Plaza
Posts: 23,635

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post

Well...

Quote:
And the criteria, sent out by the trustees, is not a checklist that guarantees consideration for appointment for controlling owner. Thereís a lot more to it than that.
Wait a minute. That doesnít make any sense to me. I thought the criteria was established by Pat Bowlen?
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #156
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,374

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Well...



Wait a minute. That doesnít make any sense to me. I thought the criteria was established by Pat Bowlen?
It's also most definitely a checklist. That's more or less what criteria means.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #157
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 18,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
More and more itís just starting to feel like something fishy is going on. Theyíre just being so vague and it seems like they are actively delaying the whole process. Is there something actually wrong with Beth Bowlen, because on the surface it would seem a 47 year old with a law degree is at least as qualified as a 27 year old with an MBA. Frankly the age difference is huge in my eyes.
Yep, they pretty much implied that Beth was fired. They all but said that. It seems that she's as qualified for the position as the rest of them, but she's being shut out. Seeing that Beth has taken this public, I'd imagine that more of this story will come out, and it's going to get ugly.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #158
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Well...



Wait a minute. That doesnít make any sense to me. I thought the criteria was established by Pat Bowlen?
Getting a advanced degree is a checkable item. Something like displaying exceptional moral fortitude is a little tougher to just check off. I am sure he made his feelings clear on they type of person he wants calling the shots.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #159
bronco_diesel
giddy-up
 
bronco_diesel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: denver
Posts: 1,766
Default

Woody Paige had a pretty good article on this and he points out that Ellis and Beth don't like each other at all.

It's looking pretty clear that Brittany is the choice of the trust and is being groomed. The NFL seems to be okay with this approach. Ellis extension would cover the gap of time in order to groom Brittany.

I believe Beth realizes the direction and her only play is to act before Brittany becomes qualified. She is making her move now, and with her understanding of law will most likely challenge Ellis having a conflict of interest and sandbagging the process for personal gain.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #160
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,839
Default

It's not like most fans didn't already assume Brittany was being groomed, she's pretty much been the child most have wanted to become owner among the Bowlen children any way, the assumption was that she was simply too young for the post initially.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #161
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,374

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
It's not like most fans didn't already assume Brittany was being groomed, she's pretty much been the child most have wanted to become owner among the Bowlen children any way, the assumption was that she was simply too young for the post initially.
Is she being groomed because Ellis knows heíll keep most of his power if sheís made owner? I have this funny feeling thatís whatís actually going on here.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #162
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 7,425

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_diesel View Post
Woody Paige had a pretty good article on this and he points out that Ellis and Beth don't like each other at all.

It's looking pretty clear that Brittany is the choice of the trust and is being groomed. The NFL seems to be okay with this approach. Ellis extension would cover the gap of time in order to groom Brittany.

I believe Beth realizes the direction and her only play is to act before Brittany becomes qualified. She is making her move now, and with her understanding of law will most likely challenge Ellis having a conflict of interest and sandbagging the process for personal gain.
I am sure that is what she is contemplating, but I donít see it holding up. All it takes is a majority vote from the 3 trustees(2 out of 3), and the other two have no apparent conflict.

Last edited by R8R H8R; 06-04-2018 at 05:44 PM..
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #163
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Is she being groomed because Ellis knows heíll keep most of his power if sheís made owner? I have this funny feeling thatís whatís actually going on here.
I imagine that plays a part in it, but let's be real here. She could also use the relationship with him to gain control and then broom him once she feels comfortable.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #164
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,374

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
I imagine that plays a part in it, but let's be real here. She could also use the relationship with him to gain control and then broom him once she feels comfortable.
She could. I just find it disturbing that Ellis obviously has a conflict of interest going on here. Was Bowlen already a bit senile when he set up this trust? It kind of feels like it.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #165
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,374

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
I am sure that is what she is contemplating, but I donít see it holding up. All it takes is a majority vote from the 3 trustees(2 out of 3), and the other two have no apparent conflict.
The other two are buddies with Ellis, so thatís not really true.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #166
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
She could. I just find it disturbing that Ellis obviously has a conflict of interest going on here. Was Bowlen already a bit senile when he set up this trust? It kind of feels like it.
Bowlen wanted Ellis to run the business side of things, that was clear when he set up the trust and even before that.
Pat likely helped set up the guidelines for it as well.

Ellis probably does have a conflict of interest going on but it could also be that Pat planned for Brittany to be the controlling owner and simply wanted her to earn it first.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #167
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 18,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Bowlen wanted Ellis to run the business side of things, that was clear when he set up the trust and even before that.
Pat likely helped set up the guidelines for it as well.

Ellis probably does have a conflict of interest going on but it could also be that Pat planned for Brittany to be the controlling owner and simply wanted her to earn it first.
I'm thinking that's really the case. So they need to undermine Beth, because at this point, she may be more qualified that her siblings.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #168
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,374

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Bowlen wanted Ellis to run the business side of things, that was clear when he set up the trust and even before that.
Pat likely helped set up the guidelines for it as well.

Ellis probably does have a conflict of interest going on but it could also be that Pat planned for Brittany to be the controlling owner and simply wanted her to earn it first.
If that was the case a different setup would make more sense. But Iím really starting to suspect this whole trust thing was Ellisí idea and he convinced Bowlenís addled brain it was the best way to go. A clean succession where Bowlen just picks someone would leave Ellis powerless and his job in jeopardy.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #169
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
If that was the case a different setup would make more sense. But Iím really starting to suspect this whole trust thing was Ellisí idea and he convinced Bowlenís addled brain it was the best way to go. A clean succession where Bowlen just picks someone would leave Ellis powerless and his job in jeopardy.
The trust was set up to avoid the estate tax. Which would have pointed to Pay planning on Brittany being the controlling owner since he knew his health was failing.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #170
rmsanger
Elway > PFM
 
rmsanger's Avatar
 
Another one bites the dust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,058

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart
Default

Would be nice for them to settle this in-house and not make it a “thing”. I’m sure all the kids know who really is best to run the show.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #171
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,789

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
Would be nice for them to settle this in-house and not make it a ďthingĒ. Iím sure all the kids know who really is best to run the show.
Well if Iím Brittany and I get the job the first thing I do is remove any Ēloose endsĒ. That means going Kim Jong Un on Ellis with a Howitzer.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #172
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23,118
Default

Pat and Annabel were married prior moving to the US from Canada and purchasing the Broncos. They've been married over 35 years. Beth would've been about 12 when Pat married Annabel.


Beth never even lived in the Denver area, until she started on her current path of trying to take control of the Broncos. I don't believe she'd be good for the franchise at all.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #173
PRBronco
Top professional.
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,633

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe
Default

I think the obvious solution here is that the three of them should all spend the night in the family's haunted mansion, and whoever stays the longest gets the team.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #174
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34,374

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Pat and Annabel were married prior moving to the US from Canada and purchasing the Broncos. They've been married over 35 years. Beth would've been about 12 when Pat married Annabel.


Beth never even lived in the Denver area, until she started on her current path of trying to take control of the Broncos. I don't believe she'd be good for the franchise at all.
What a stupid reason to conclude someone would make a bad owner.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #175
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 18,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
What a stupid reason to conclude someone would make a bad owner.
I wouldn't disqualify her for that reason either. We really don't know what level of involvement she has had with the Broncos or Denver over the years. Maybe she didn't set foot in Denver or attend a Broncos game until she decided to make a run at the lead owner position. Maybe she has frequently attended games and team functions while she was running her own business in Hawaii. I don't think that we really know.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but it certainly does seem like Brittany has been put on a path that leads directly to the position, and Beth probably senses that even though she's making what appears to be the right moves, she's going to be assed out in the long run. Within the next five or so years, Brittany's NFL and business resume is going to crap all over Beth's resume, so Beth needs to shoot her shot now. lol
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Denver Broncos