The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #76
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 10,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
How do you draft an UDFA? Harris and Barrett were not drafted.
They are still hand selected and unproven, you don't take credit away for that
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #77
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklb234 View Post
What are u talking about? We push pretty close to the cap every year.
We've been close to top 10 in cap space all season.

Not the time to jettison leadership in the last year of a deal for a few million bucks.

What did we buy with the savings? Only the local liquor distributor can say.

Plus Wade wasn't a cap casualty. He was a cash casualty.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #78
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 27,117

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
They are still hand selected and unproven, you don't take credit away for that


They were also evaluated as not good enough to spend a draft pick on.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #79
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39,366

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
They were also evaluated as not good enough to spend a draft pick on.
Oh come on. Would it help if the draft was still 12 rounds and they took them in the 8th and 9th?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #80
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 27,117

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Oh come on. Would it help if the draft was still 12 rounds and they took them in the 8th and 9th?


If someone says 6 or so of the 11 players on that defense was drafted, Iím saying thatís wrong. Drafted players are drafted players. A tech issue. Much like calling Siemian a rookie in his 2nd year.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #81
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 35,484
Default

Why does Elway get the credit for Harris, Marshall, Barrett, etc. when it's up to scouts and position coaches to pine for finding UDFA's and prospects off the trash heap?

It's not like he personally scouted these dudes and signed him on his own accord.
__________________
Tennessee Titans GM (OM Mock Draft)
5 - Jamal Adams, S - LSU
18 - Corey Davis, WR - Central Michigan
70 - Rasul Douglas, CB - West Virginia
100 - Jaleel Johnson, DL - Iowa
124 - Blair Brown, ILB - Ohio
214 - Marquel Lee, ILB - Wake Forest
236 - Chuck Clark, DB - Virginia Tech
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #82
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 27,117

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Why does Elway get the credit for Harris, Marshall, Barrett, etc. when it's up to scouts and position coaches to pine for finding UDFA's and prospects off the trash heap?

It's not like he personally scouted these dudes and signed him on his own accord.



Exactly. Thereís no way Sloter was hand picked by Elway.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 11-13-2017 at 10:45 AM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #83
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 10,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Why does Elway get the credit for Harris, Marshall, Barrett, etc. when it's up to scouts and position coaches to pine for finding UDFA's and prospects off the trash heap?

It's not like he personally scouted these dudes and signed him on his own accord.
So he gets no credit for those selections, but all the fault for the poor ones? Scouts and position coaches give no input on draft selections?

You are speaking lunacy.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #84
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 35,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
So he gets no credit for those selections, but all the fault for the poor ones? Scouts and position coaches give no input on draft selections?

You are speaking lunacy.
You are the one that brought UDFA / CFA players into the mix and attributed them to Elway. He didn't draft those players.

He deserves criticism for the players he does have the final say in drafting, and yes, I'm very well aware of who and how input is given on prospects.
__________________
Tennessee Titans GM (OM Mock Draft)
5 - Jamal Adams, S - LSU
18 - Corey Davis, WR - Central Michigan
70 - Rasul Douglas, CB - West Virginia
100 - Jaleel Johnson, DL - Iowa
124 - Blair Brown, ILB - Ohio
214 - Marquel Lee, ILB - Wake Forest
236 - Chuck Clark, DB - Virginia Tech
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #85
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28,955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Von
Wolfe
Travethan
S. Williams
Malik Jackson
Chris Harris CFA
Shaq Barrett
Bradley Roby

FA's
Talib
Stewart
Brandon Marshall
D.Ware
TJ Ward

Those are most of the major contributors that season/game. Though Shane Ray had a FF in the Superbowl and 4 sacks on the year as well. should be noted that neither Marshall or Stewart were high profile signing's either, they were well scouted under the radar additions.

Elway's struggled with drafting offense, but to say they are abortions it exaggeration well beyond my use of 90%.
1) How many starters do you think a defense has?

2) UDFAís are not drafted, and if you get one that is good you simply lucked out.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #86
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 10,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You are the one that brought UDFA / CFA players into the mix and attributed them to Elway. He didn't draft those players.

He deserves criticism for the players he does have the final say in drafting, and yes, I'm very well aware of who and how input is given on prospects.
Gotcha, so you plan on cherry picking his selections. Free agent selections go to Manning and coaches I guess, UDFA go to the scouting department, good draft selections are what? stumbling into no brainers?

You're smarter than that. I'm angry about the team too, but reality is Elway has amassed a lot of talent on this team, but isn't without his weaknesses. Unfortunately QB is a key position that he hasn't done well with yet. It's also the hardest position to pick.

We all need to remember that Denver was a disaster when he took over and he played the key role in building it back to contention. How many organizations would kill to go from 4-12 under mini hoodie to 2 SB appearances and a Championship in the next 5 years.

This will be hist first losing season as a GM....think about that. More SB appearance than losing seasons. The man's earned a little patience.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #87
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28,955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
If someone says 6 or so of the 11 players on that defense was drafted, Iím saying thatís wrong. Drafted players are drafted players. A tech issue. Much like calling Siemian a rookie in his 2nd year.
Also drafting half a defense and pretty much nothing on offense is terrible drafting, no matter how you slice it.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #88
jklb234
Thread strter level xpert
 
Trevor Rodgers

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: RSM ca
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Also drafting half a defense and pretty much nothing on offense is terrible drafting, no matter how you slice it.
Hes whiffed so bad on offense. Mindbogling.
jklb234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #89
LonghornBronco
Registered User
 
LonghornBronco's Avatar
 
Ride or Die, Go Broncos!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,441

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Garett Bolles
Default

I'm with 2K, yall are overreacting a bit about Elway's performance. His job is to assemble the roster and He's done a good job at that, except the OL and seems to have found a good one in Bolles. I think his biggest mistake, as stated previously is being a bit too cheap, ie Okung, and not spending/trading for a serviceable replacement. I don't have a problem with the TJ Ward decision because Simmons looks to be a pro-bowler in the making.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #90
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28,955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
I'm with 2K, yall are overreacting a bit about Elway's performance. His job is to assemble the roster and He's done a good job at that, except the OL and seems to have found a good one in Bolles. I think his biggest mistake, as stated previously is being a bit too cheap, ie Okung, and not spending/trading for a serviceable replacement. I don't have a problem with the TJ Ward decision because Simmons looks to be a pro-bowler in the making.
How are we overreacting? He canít draft offensive players to save his life, has failed miserably to replace lost pieces on defense, got rid of one of the best DCís in the league, and seems to hire coaches based purely off of how much they kiss his ass. I believe TonyR posted an article recently that said heís only drafted one pro bowler from 2012 on. He just sucks.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #91
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 10,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
How are we overreacting? He canít draft offensive players to save his life, has failed miserably to replace lost pieces on defense, got rid of one of the best DCís in the league, and seems to hire coaches based purely off of how much they kiss his ass. I believe TonyR posted an article recently that said heís only drafted one pro bowler from 2012 on. He just sucks.
Dude, he's hired 3 total coaches...2 of them went to superbowls. VJ may be an ass kisser as you assume, but there's no track record for you to be complaining about.

The pro-bowl thing is weak as well. The Patriots have drafted a whole 3 guys since 2012 that made the pro-bowl, none on offense.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #92
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 27,117

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Dude, he's hired 3 total coaches...2 of them went to superbowls. VJ may be an ass kisser as you assume, but there's no track record for you to be complaining about.

The pro-bowl thing is weak as well. The Patriots have drafted a whole 3 guys since 2012 that made the pro-bowl, none on offense.


Both of those HCs(one went public) had issues and conflicts. Flat out calling the FO dysfunctional.



Name me more than one good offensive player(not pro bowler) Elway drafted since joining in 2011. You got Paradis. Thatís it. One 6th rounder. Thatís pathetic. 7 drafts and one good player. Thatís a big reason for the offense looking the worst in history.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 11-13-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #93
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28,955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Dude, he's hired 3 total coaches...2 of them went to superbowls. VJ may be an ass kisser as you assume, but there's no track record for you to be complaining about.

The pro-bowl thing is weak as well. The Patriots have drafted a whole 3 guys since 2012 that made the pro-bowl, none on offense.
If he doesnít sign Manning they probably donít even go to the playoffs again post-2011. One massive free agent signing doesnít make a GM good.

Also Belichick is not a great GM. In that department heís really only average. He benefits massively from having Brady at QB. Also thereís the cheating.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 11-13-2017 at 02:03 PM..
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #94
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 35,484
Default

Agamemnon could have drafted better than Elway!
__________________
Tennessee Titans GM (OM Mock Draft)
5 - Jamal Adams, S - LSU
18 - Corey Davis, WR - Central Michigan
70 - Rasul Douglas, CB - West Virginia
100 - Jaleel Johnson, DL - Iowa
124 - Blair Brown, ILB - Ohio
214 - Marquel Lee, ILB - Wake Forest
236 - Chuck Clark, DB - Virginia Tech
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #95
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28,955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Agamemnon could have drafted better than Elway!
Most the OM mock drafters could. Thatís whatís so pathetic.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #96
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 46,774

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

No way guys. The "Elway is a cheapskate b****" meme was just an artificial narrative created by SoCal with no basis in fact.


At all.


/Or so I've been told
__________________
Merci Flower and Good Luck!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #97
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 35,484
Default

Elway haggles for lumber at The Home Depot.
__________________
Tennessee Titans GM (OM Mock Draft)
5 - Jamal Adams, S - LSU
18 - Corey Davis, WR - Central Michigan
70 - Rasul Douglas, CB - West Virginia
100 - Jaleel Johnson, DL - Iowa
124 - Blair Brown, ILB - Ohio
214 - Marquel Lee, ILB - Wake Forest
236 - Chuck Clark, DB - Virginia Tech
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #98
Maleficent
🙏 2018
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,396
Default

When they are winning, Elway would be seen eating sunflower seeds. Not lately.
Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #99
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 
Since 1986

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 18,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent View Post
When they are winning, Elway would be seen eating sunflower seeds. Not lately.
They showed him in the booth eating them last night.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #100
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 35,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent View Post
When they are winning, Elway would be seen eating sunflower seeds. Not lately.
Lots of empty drink cups when the TV is on him. Definitely drunk.
__________________
Tennessee Titans GM (OM Mock Draft)
5 - Jamal Adams, S - LSU
18 - Corey Davis, WR - Central Michigan
70 - Rasul Douglas, CB - West Virginia
100 - Jaleel Johnson, DL - Iowa
124 - Blair Brown, ILB - Ohio
214 - Marquel Lee, ILB - Wake Forest
236 - Chuck Clark, DB - Virginia Tech
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Denver Broncos