The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #176
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

The bats have literally exploded the last 2-3 weeks. Story and Parra have been raking it, and even Cargo and Desmond have brought their averages up significantly. Arenado and LeMahieu doing what they do, and Blackmon has been getting his hits too.

The pitching is so frustrating. The starters are, overall, extremely inconsistent. All of them. And the bullpen, did well last night, but I have zero confidence in any of them other than Ottavino, who has been pure magic.
SVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #177
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBuff View Post
Love to find Ryan McMahon more playing time. Kid needs a chance and can rake it!
He's gone.

balero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #178
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
He's gone.

Probably a good move. Need to get different looks in the pen, and if that means sending down a talented position player, so be it.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #179
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Due west

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
Probably a good move. Need to get different looks in the pen, and if that means sending down a talented position player, so be it.
Smart move. Typically guys like Ryan (and Trevor last year) who start off crushing the ball get figured out by pitchers, and the hits drop. Moving Ryan back down allows us to work on bull pen woes while keeping him off the radar of opposing pitchers for awhile longer.... which would be genius if we had a chance to break him out in a playoff run...........
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #180
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I have to say that I really find myself rooting for Ian Desmond. He's hated by a lot of Rockies fans. But he seems like a great guy and teammate, for what that's worth. I think I would be a great teammate, too. You just wouldn't want to rely on me to hit a curveball. So, being a great teammate and having a few bucks will buy you a cheap cup of coffee. But it certainly makes it easier to feel pleased when a person succeeds.

I felt the same about Ottavino last year, even though horrible people like SVine wanted to cut off his testicles.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #181
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I have to say that I really find myself rooting for Ian Desmond. He's hated by a lot of Rockies fans. But he seems like a great guy and teammate, for what that's worth. I think I would be a great teammate, too. You just wouldn't want to rely on me to hit a curveball. So, being a great teammate and having a few bucks will buy you a cheap cup of coffee. But it certainly makes it easier to feel pleased when a person succeeds.

I felt the same about Ottavino last year, even though horrible people like SVine wanted to cut off his testicles.

I am with you on Desmond. I root for him too as it seems like he is a terrific presence in the clubhouse. As for Ottavino it is crazy how a player can go from one season of struggling to another season of dominance. He is the saving grace of the pen this year.

The division is so there for the taking. The Rockies have the team to do it. The offense, the defense, the starting pitching, the bullpen, all parts of this team, have had moments of dominance.

But as Kaylore said earlier, they are awful or a tease. Well, I donít believe at all they are awful, but I do fear the last 3 games have been a tease.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #182
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I wonder why donít they put Shaw on the DL just to clear his head. He just doesnít have his stuff right now and pressing.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #183
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I wonder why donít they put Shaw on the DL just to clear his head. He just doesnít have his stuff right now and pressing.
Bell hinted that some move will be done with him ďas soon as some guys come backĒ he stated during his postgame presser. I am not sure what some guys heís referring to.

Shaw has had a direct or indirect hand in at minimum 5 (probably closer to 10) in Rockies losses this year. Shaw is currently signed for 27 million for 3 years. He is a total mental case unable to handle Coors Field a horrible free agent signing.

Last edited by SVine; 06-24-2018 at 02:55 PM..
Old 06-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #184
TheRationalist
Psychologist

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Bryan Shaw to the DL with a “calf strain.”
TheRationalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #185
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Bell hinted that some move will be done with him ďas soon as some guys come backĒ he stated during his postgame presser. I am not sure what some guys heís referring to.

Shaw has had a direct or indirect hand in at minimum 5 (probably closer to 10) in Rockies losses this year. Shaw is currently singed for 27 million for 3 years. He is a total mental case unable to handle Coors Field a horrible fan signing.
I just think heís trying to hard and crumbles mentally after a hit.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #186
BroncosfanGuy
Stoney Case for Heisman

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Hopefully Shaw gets it right. He has been one of the best and most reliable rp coming into this year. His signing seemed like a shrewd one on paper and along with the Davis signing gave the Rockies one of the strongest pens on paper. Reality obv hasn't reflected it.

And that's funny you say that about Otto, dom. almost bumped a few of svine's ottavino tantrum posts from a year ago but thought better of it.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 06-24-2018 at 01:47 PM..
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #187
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
And that's funny you say that about Otto, dom. almost bumped a few of svine's ottavino tantrum posts from a year ago but thought better of it.
Ottavino always had stuff and a track record of being a relief ace. It was understandable that he had some bumps in the road coming back from Tommy John surgery.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #188
And
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
He's gone.

Saw Yency pitch in a couple AA games. Not sure if heís ready for the bigs yet, but we need all the help we can get.

Losing 2 of 3 at home to Miami is absolutely pathetic.
And is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #189
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Old 07-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #190
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

NBC Sports - HardballTalk: Nolan Arenado: ‘I’m tired of coming to the ballpark and losing’ https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/07/01...rk-and-losing/
Old 07-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #191
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

I am thinking the Rockies should consider making a big move at the trade deadline. Perhaps trading Brendan Rodgers for a #2 starter and a top reliever. Story seems to be emerging into a super star shortstop as he is becoming more disciplined at the plate. Defense is beyond spectacular, has tremendous speed and power. It really is hard to imagine that Rodgers has more tools than what Story has developed.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #192
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Arenado is such a fun interview. He seems %100 authentic.

Taking 2 out of 3 from the Dodgers in LA is great. The Rockies need to bring all the pieces together. I wish they were more clutch. That game against the Giants is a great example. We just needed something and the Giants got it. It's hard to watch these guys get so close and then have it fall apart late.

And I don't get why we suck so bad at home. There are only five teams worse than us at home. One of my coworkers said that the park is too big and it wears us out. He said other teams don't have to play here all year, so they just suck it up for a few games and recover elsewhere. That it's harder on the pitchers here because the size means players get more base hits, and that men on base stress out a pitcher worse than a home run they can immediately move on from. I don't know baseball as well as my football, so I'll defer to you all on if this theory has any merit. I've always felt like the "no one can pitch at altitude" is a culture thing and pretty much BS.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #193
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I am thinking the Rockies should consider making a big move at the trade deadline. Perhaps trading Brendan Rodgers for a #2 starter and a top reliever. Story seems to be emerging into a super star shortstop as he is becoming more disciplined at the plate. Defense is beyond spectacular, has tremendous speed and power. It really is hard to imagine that Rodgers has more tools than what Story has developed.
The Rockies should keep Rodgers, and offer Garrett Hampson and Colton Welker instead. Rodgers can replace DJ LeMahieu if he leaves via free agency and his bat would profile nicely at 3B in case Nolan Arenado walks.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #194
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
And I don't get why we suck so bad at home. There are only five teams worse than us at home. One of my coworkers said that the park is too big and it wears us out. He said other teams don't have to play here all year, so they just suck it up for a few games and recover elsewhere. That it's harder on the pitchers here because the size means players get more base hits, and that men on base stress out a pitcher worse than a home run they can immediately move on from. I don't know baseball as well as my football, so I'll defer to you all on if this theory has any merit. I've always felt like the "no one can pitch at altitude" is a culture thing and pretty much BS.
It's an outlier season. History is on the Rockies' side when it comes to playing well at home.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #195
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Rockies teasing us again?
Old 07-07-2018, 02:27 AM   #196
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

These days it doesent even matter that our stars hit more homeruns on the road. Coors Field.... blah blah.
I say get rid of the humidor and get back to the 1990s style of Coors field baseball.
Just like the myth that the 80's denver nuggets didnt play defense (except for that one game hahhaha) Its total crap that the rox didn't have any pitching back then.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #197
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

In a 162 game season its inevitable for all teams to have highs and lows. The best teams will go through a tough stretch during the course of the season and the worst teams will go through stretches where they look pretty good.

But the Rockies..... their highs and lows seem especially extreme. They go through prolonged hitting slumps, their bullpen went through a stretch where none of them could have scoreless outings (during Ottavino’s DL stint), but the bullpen has been pretty good for the last week, but the most heckyl and Jyde aspect of the team might be the starting pitching. The have gone through periods where the have gotten several quality starts in a row, and periods where they struggled a lot. Not just Gray, but the others have had struggles at times as well. Only Freeland has been consistently good for the most part. Currently, the starters have been dominant, several times flirting with complete game shutouts recently.

But overall, the Rockies look like they are not just a good team, but a GREAT team. Great starting pitching, great defense, the offense has been very good, and the bullpen is showing signs they are returning to greatness.

The real question is, are they teasing us hard this time around, having won 8 of their last 10 and 5 straight all against the Dodgers, Giants, and Mariners (who is about 20 games above 500), or is this team genuinely good enough to compete for the division crown and be a major threat in the postseason?

And, are the Rockies an abnormal extreme case of showing highs and lows that is not normally shown by other teams?

Last edited by SVine; 07-08-2018 at 08:57 AM..
Old 07-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #198
D.B.
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DWill

The whole NL West is extreme. AZ went 2-15 at one point. The Dodgers and Giants both looked horrible starting the year. That is why any of 4 out the 5 teams could win it. The Padres are probably the most consistent, but in the wrong way.
D.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #199
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. View Post
The whole NL West is extreme. AZ went 2-15 at one point. The Dodgers and Giants both looked horrible starting the year. That is why any of 4 out the 5 teams could win it. The Padres are probably the most consistent, but in the wrong way.
Itís baseball, another typical 162-game roller coaster.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #200
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None