The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Default Maligned Players Who are Getting Better

There have been promising performances in recent weeks, and I think it's fair to acknowledge:

McGovern--I can't say that I watched closely enough to break down his blocking play by play, but he deserves a lot of credit for seamlessly moving to center without a single bad snap. Watching Rivers field wild snaps yesterday really put that in perspective for me.

Roby--he was very good yesterday. And I'm not sure I was patient enough with him. I don't know a lot about playing corner, but there must be a learning curve involved in moving from the slot to the outside, using the sideline, etc.

Keenum--not an impressive statistical outing for him yesterday but he made several clutch throws when he needed to. Did the same thing in the last game as well. If we could replay the Monday night game against KC, I think there's a high probability he hits on that pass to DT. Yesterday he also had at least two heads up plays to avoid sure sacks.

Bolles--again, I didn't watch closely enough to grade him play by play. But he has cleaned up the penalties and zero sacks against SD has to count for something.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
qbronco
Lifelong Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

Jeff Heuerman should be added onto your list.
qbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Aztec Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

Agree with all of those and would add that Wilkinson and Turner were big surprises playing well at guard.

Roby has always played predominantly outside though. He has seen some snaps in the slot in his career, but that has really always been Harris' role and I've never seen anyone do it better.
Aztec Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
v2micca
This is the Water

and this is the well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
There have been promising performances in recent weeks, and I think it's fair to acknowledge:

McGovern--I can't say that I watched closely enough to break down his blocking play by play, but he deserves a lot of credit for seamlessly moving to center without a single bad snap. Watching Rivers field wild snaps yesterday really put that in perspective for me.
Wait, McGovern was maligned? I've heard mostly good things about him as an interior offensive lineman.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
Aztec Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Wait, McGovern was maligned? I've heard mostly good things about him as an interior offensive lineman.
He looked great early on but had a couple games where Leonard Williams and Aaron Donald (both elite DTs) absolutely owned him. Instead of seeing how he responded, VJ inexplicably benches him for Max freaking Garcia who had three years to prove he was garbage.

I think he's a pretty good player and it's nice to have a guy who can adequately take over at center.

Edit: Actually, he was benched after the Jets game. So VJ the genius benched him after a whole one bad game to start a guy who has had like 30 bad games. Nicely done...

Last edited by Aztec Bronco; 11-19-2018 at 02:31 PM..
Aztec Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbronco View Post
Jeff Heuerman should be added onto your list.
Should have caught that pass.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
qbronco
Lifelong Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
No doubt, but he has shown improvement and was very much maligned by most who post here.
qbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
jutang
Ring of Famer

Bolles surprised me the most. Going against SD edge rushers is not a small feat.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think he missed some key blocks especially on those sideline passes in the flat. More than usual.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Me too. I would love to see actually posts that say McGovern has played below average. When Parades got hurt, the positive was that at least McGovern was taking his place. He should not be any where near this list.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
, possibly but are you going to call out Keenum for the ****ty throw? We get the first down and possibly 10 more yards if he hits him in the chest. That was not a good throw. The catch means he can't run smoothly and miss out on the first down.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #12
bfallona
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
I think he missed some key blocks especially on those sideline passes in the flat. More than usual.
Great to finally get a win, but Jeff didn't help much. Missed an easy pass that came at a critical time. After watching how great the O line was yesterday some of the vets might have a tough time getting them back to the bench. And during training camps I loved Austin Traylor. With this season pretty well gone continue to experiment with different players. Look at P Lidsay & Sutton & Chubb etc who are killing it. Prepare for next year. Not giving up on this year, but we should have crushed SD.
bfallona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #13
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfallona View Post
Great to finally get a win, but Jeff didn't help much. Missed an easy pass that came at a critical time. After watching how great the O line was yesterday some of the vets might have a tough time getting them back to the bench. And during training camps I loved Austin Traylor. With this season pretty well gone continue to experiment with different players. Look at P Lidsay & Sutton & Chubb etc who are killing it. Prepare for next year. Not giving up on this year, but we should have crushed SD.
Thats exactly what type of a football team you want. People that when they get their opportunity to shine they take peoples jobs. This is how a championship organization is built. This is how the Landry Cowboys were, people afraid to sit out because there was a pretty good guy on the sideline.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
, possibly but are you going to call out Keenum for the ****ty throw? We get the first down and possibly 10 more yards if he hits him in the chest. That was not a good throw. The catch means he can't run smoothly and miss out on the first down.
Lol it hit him in the belly button.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #15
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Me too. I would love to see actually posts that say McGovern has played below average. When Parades got hurt, the positive was that at least McGovern was taking his place. He should not be any where near this list.
As noted above, the guy was benched a few games back.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Lol it hit him in the belly button.
I was at the game so are we speaking of the one that was 2nd to last drive? What I saw (once) that it was below the thighs slightly.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #17
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
As noted above, the guy was benched a few games back.
He was benched for all of two drives based on a dumba$$ coaching decision and until it become clear that Garcia was his usual self.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #18
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gotsis
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #19
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Its a shame Demarcus Walker couldnít be on the list because they donít let him play.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #20
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Its a shame Demarcus Walker couldnít be on the list because they donít let him play.
But he is the opposite of misaligned by fans.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:23 AM   #21
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
Gotsis
Yep. Dude had a bad rap on day 1 with fans because he was drafted too early and he wasnít Malik. He still isnít Malik, and probably wonít ever be, but he is rock solid on the interior of the DL and now plays like a 2nd rounder.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:33 AM   #22
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Quote:
****ty throw, but in that situation player need make great plays. Bad pass by Keenum as he was getting hit, but catchable. You're right though, debatable if he would be able to catch and roll for first down.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:37 AM   #23
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
I was at the game so are we speaking of the one that was 2nd to last drive? What I saw (once) that it was below the thighs slightly.
You are right about the placement, but I gotta agree with action on this one; Heuerman should have caught it. That said, Heuerman is certainly a player that has been misaligned by fans throughout his career, but has been a pleasant surprise this year. Crossing my fingers Heuerman doesnít turn into IRman.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:11 AM   #24
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Billy Turner has been surprising for what he is.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:15 AM   #25
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Roby will need to perform extremely well these last 6 games.

He’s always shown flashes but consistency has been his biggest issue.

Speaking of, depending on risk tolerance - I think a Roby is a perfect candidate this off season for a 1 year contract.