The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #1401
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,202

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
I would have laughed, hung up the phone, dialed those ****ers back and laughed again while telling them to kiss my ass and hanging up again.
Scribe....If that deal had been agreed to by NYY, I would have immediately told you to make me a sammich....Cause you woulda been my b****

/And then you would have proceeded to call Cashman a b**** like 200 times
SoCalBronco is offline  
Old 12-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #1402
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Scribe....If that deal had been agreed to by NYY, I would have immediately told you to make me a sammich....Cause you woulda been my b****

/And then you would have proceeded to call Cashman a b**** like 200 times
200? 200? 200? Every post would have started with, been continued by and ended with "Cashman...YOU A b****!"
I would have been at 210 by the first week.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #1403
balero
The Big Fellow
 
balero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,578

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Pirates To Sign Ivan Nova
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/...ivan-nova.html
balero is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #1404
balero
The Big Fellow
 
balero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,578

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

The reason why the Yankees are kicking the tires on Quintana is that he is a 200-inning horse that is locked up for four years at a favorable sum. Tanaka can opt out after 2017 and Pineda is a free agent after that season.

Albeit wild card competitive, still, the Yankees aren't really ready yet to make that strong charge at a World Series title. Potentially they could waste Quintana's best year on a team that won't win enough.
balero is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #1405
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
The reason why the Yankees are kicking the tires on Quintana is that he is a 200-inning horse that is locked up for four years at a favorable sum. Tanaka can opt out after 2017 and Pineda is a free agent after that season.

Albeit wild card competitive, still, the Yankees aren't really ready yet to make that strong charge at a World Series title. Potentially they could waste Quintana's best year on a team that won't win enough.
Oh I know why they want him, the cost and current state of the team just makes no sense in terms of making the move this season.

Cost controlled pitching is hard to acquire, I don't blame any team for asking a high price in return,

But...let's be real here, Tanaka is getting re-signed regardless, Otani is likely to be brought in, Severino should rebound and you have Kaprielian ready to come up should he get enough early season innings. Yes you want a more established pitching staff after Sabathia departs and Pineda is allowed to leave...but there is already a plan in place.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #1406
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,202

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Scribe....either agree to be raped or you won't get **** and you can toil 12 games behind BOS in the standings.
SoCalBronco is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #1407
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Scribe....either agree to be raped or you won't get **** and you can toil 12 games behind BOS in the standings.
We are going to be behind the Sox no matter what. This is not a year in which you fork over a ton of prospects for 1 player.
We need to build like the Cubs and go young for a few years and then splurge.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #1408
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,202

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
We are going to be behind the Sox no matter what. This is not a year in which you fork over a ton of prospects for 1 player.
We need to build like the Cubs and go young for a few years and then splurge.
He's under contract for 4 years tho. And NYY will be a power in 2018 esp by adding stars that offseason. It is only 1 year which is being "wasted" and even then this trade could get you in as a WC.

You hear that Cashman.....Frazier, Severino and Judge ain't ****. You can keep Mateo. We are doing you a favor.taking these kids off your hands.
SoCalBronco is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #1409
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
He's under contract for 4 years tho. And NYY will be a power in 2018 esp by adding stars that offseason. It is only 1 year which is being "wasted" and even then this trade could get you in as a WC.

You hear that Cashman.....Frazier, Severino and Judge ain't ****. You can keep Mateo. We are doing you a favor.taking these kids off your hands.
You give up a ton of prospects when you are making a run, not when you are building to make a run.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #1410
RepentWalpurgis
Ring of Famer
 
RepentWalpurgis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 10,189
Default

Encarnacion signs with Cleveland. He might well have been the difference in the series.
RepentWalpurgis is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #1411
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,834
Default

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Edwin Encarnacion's deal is actually $65M guaranteed. The $5M option buyout is on top of $20M a year he's getting for three years.</p>&mdash; Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/812114519568896002">December 23, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3 years, 65 mil guaranteed.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #1412
balero
The Big Fellow
 
balero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,578

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

The age (34) and lack of defensive value was a major factor, but Encarnacion roughly averaged 39 HR, 110 RBI, .360 OBP over the last five years.

It boggles my mind that he went for this low of term and sum of dollars. A bargain when you think that Mark Melancon got $62 million, Josh Reddick $52 million and Brett Cecil $32 million.
balero is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #1413
RepentWalpurgis
Ring of Famer
 
RepentWalpurgis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 10,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
The age (34) and lack of defensive value was a major factor, but Encarnacion roughly averaged 39 HR, 110 RBI, .360 OBP over the last five years.

It boggles my mind that he went for this low of term and sum of dollars. A bargain when you think that Mark Melancon got $62 million, Josh Reddick $52 million and Brett Cecil $32 million.

Couldn't agree more. His offensive numbers were exceptional at 33 & he was average at worst when playing 1st base. Very disappointed the Cardinals didn't go 4/80 even at risk of eating two seasons of bad contract. He could have hit 4th behind 3 very high obp guys - Fowler, Carpenter and Diaz. Could have helped carry them until the next wave of top prospects matures.
RepentWalpurgis is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #1414
balero
The Big Fellow
 
balero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,578

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Couldn't agree more. His offensive numbers were exceptional at 33 & he was average at worst when playing 1st base. Very disappointed the Cardinals didn't go 4/80 even at risk of eating two seasons of bad contract. He could have hit 4th behind 3 very high obp guys - Fowler, Carpenter and Diaz. Could have helped carry them until the next wave of top prospects matures.
I was surprised more NL teams (St. Louis, Washington, Miami) didn't go after him for the very reason you said his glove was average.

I agree. It would have been an impact move for the Cards, which would have pushed Carpenter back to 2B and relegated Wong to bench duty.

Last edited by balero; 12-22-2016 at 07:14 PM..
balero is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #1415
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
The age (34) and lack of defensive value was a major factor, but Encarnacion roughly averaged 39 HR, 110 RBI, .360 OBP over the last five years.

It boggles my mind that he went for this low of term and sum of dollars. A bargain when you think that Mark Melancon got $62 million, Josh Reddick $52 million and Brett Cecil $32 million.
The bigger issue was that teams were attempting to find short term options. Encarnacion wrongfully assumed that his market would bear serious fruit while forgetting that he had draft pick compensation attached to him and teams who were in the midst of prepping for the future FA class.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #1416
RepentWalpurgis
Ring of Famer
 
RepentWalpurgis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 10,189
Default

Balero is the man when it comes to baseball on this forum.
RepentWalpurgis is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #1417
balero
The Big Fellow
 
balero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,578

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
The bigger issue was that teams were attempting to find short term options.
I think that's what sunk Encarnacion's earning potential were the short-term options on market, which included two defending league HR champions (Mark Trumbo, Chris Carter) and Mike Napoli.

You can probably throw Jose Bautista into that mix because he is more attractive as a DH.

There weren't very many teams looking for a 1B/DH bat to begin with and Ian Desmond eliminated a potential landing spot for those guys when the Rockies signed him to play 1B.

One more factor, home runs are not at a premium post-2016. There were 4,186 HR in 2014, and that figure escalated to 5,610 in 2016, the highest single-season total since 2000.
balero is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #1418
balero
The Big Fellow
 
balero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,578

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">EE agent Kinzer on <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkRadio">@MLBNetworkRadio</a>, OAK offered &quot;Cespedes-type&quot; money. Edwin turned down. Didn't want west coast travel for family in DR</p>&mdash; Hazel Mae (@thehazelmae) <a href="https://twitter.com/thehazelmae/status/812352888580296705">December 23, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
balero is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #1419
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,202

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

I don't know who Brian Bilek is but on Twitter he is discussing an alleged three team blockbuster between CWS, PIT and NYY.

He said in addition to Glasnow, we would recieves "some combo" of Rutherford (NYY), Keller (PIT), Newman (PIT), Andujar (NYY), Elias Diaz (PIT).

I suspect this is because PIT didn't want to give up Meadows since at some point McCutcheon will be moved and Hahn wasn't going to do it just for Glasnow+.

I definitely would like to have Rutherford. He needs to be part of it for sure, plus Newman since they seem to want another IF as Moncada might eventually move to third from what I read. I'd rather have Keller than Andujar.

Not sure who NYY would get from pit that they want.

Edit: According to Bilek, McCutcheon to NYY.

Scribe?

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 12-23-2016 at 11:36 AM..
SoCalBronco is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #1420
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,202

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

I like this deal if we can get Rutherford, Newman and Keller in addition to Glasnow.

That would be a great haul.

Then flip Robertson to WAS for Pedro Severino and then we ****IN, Scribe.

In that permutation, NYY would basically be only giving up Rutherford indirectly for McCutcheon, they might need to send out a couple more pieces to PIT

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 12-23-2016 at 11:54 AM..
SoCalBronco is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #1421
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I don't know who Brian Bilek is but on Twitter he is discussing an alleged three team blockbuster between CWS, PIT and NYY.

He said in addition to Glasnow, we would recieves "some combo" of Rutherford (NYY), Keller (PIT), Newman (PIT), Andujar (NYY), Elias Diaz (PIT).

I suspect this is because PIT didn't want to give up Meadows since at some point McCutcheon will be moved and Hahn wasn't going to do it just for Glasnow+.

I definitely would like to have Rutherford. He needs to be part of it for sure, plus Newman since they seem to want another IF as Moncada might eventually move to third from what I read. I'd rather have Keller than Andujar.

Not sure who NYY would get from pit that they want.

Edit: According to Bilek, McCutcheon to NYY.

Scribe?
Unless NY is moving Gardner or Ellsbury in the deal, not gonna happen.
We have no open spots for McCutchen. Gardner is in LF, Ellsbury in CF, Judge in RF and Hicks backs up all 3 of them.

Random twitter musings, nothing more.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #1422
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,202

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Unless NY is moving Gardner or Ellsbury in the deal, not gonna happen.
We have no open spots for McCutchen. Gardner is in LF, Ellsbury in CF, Judge in RF and Hicks backs up all 3 of them.

Random twitter musings, nothing more.
Scribe NERVOUS
SoCalBronco is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #1423
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Scribe NERVOUS
Nope, the deal makes no sense from the Yankees perspective. They want to add pitching but have to move a contract or 2 to do so, that's Gardner or Ellsbury, then you have an already logjammed OF and you add McCutchen to that with no additional SP or a reliever?

Makes no sense. The Yankees have already told player agents that they cannot add anyone until they move some salary and that has caused a issue in the market because with the Yankees out of the market, there is no team to play others against.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #1424
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 36,975
Default

The Yankees shouldn't get anything out of any deal.
Requiem is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #1425
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Greed is good

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 39,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The Yankees shouldn't get anything out of any deal.
Considering the amount of revenue and revenue sharing that the Yankees have contributed to MLB since the luxury tax era...the Yankees should be getting whatever they damn well please.
Not to mention the draft picks surrendered for FA's that other teams used to draft franchise stars.

The Yankees are the most giving franchise in MLB and we should be commended for that.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 AM.


Denver Broncos