The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 01:46 AM   #126
BroncoBuff

I like the pick, but his size and the comments about him sound alot like Davontae Booker.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #127
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I like the pick, but his size and the comments about him sound alot like Davontae Booker.
People forget that Booker was coming off two knee surgeries his rookie year here. Iím not sure heís ever been completely healthy since he got here. One thing that stands out on tape about this Oregon kid is that he plays fast. This guy is built like a prototypical running back with huge thighs but he isnít strictly an inside runner. Watch the tape. He can turn the corner . Heís running away from DBís in the open field and accelerating out of cuts rapidly. Whoever said he has to take a while to get to top soeed isnít watching closely. He has moves, vision, he can stop and start and change direction quickly. I never saw this from Booker. His sub 4.5 forty didnít translate to the field, possibly because of his knee. He also didnít run with power through tackles like Freeman. This dude sheds tackles and doesnít even break stride. Heís got tremendous leg drive and he is tough to bring down because he squares up and absorbs contact while keeping his legs churning. I donít see that in Booker either. On top of that he can definitely catch the ball. He made two impressive over the shoulder catches that are indicative that of good hands and advanced hand-eye coordination like a WR has. I think heís going to surprise people.

It will be interesting to see all three of these guys compete fully healthy, if they remain that way.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:15 AM   #128
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
People forget that Booker was coming off two knee surgeries his rookie year here. I’m not sure he’s ever been completely healthy since he got here. One thing that stands out on tape about this Oregon kid is that he plays fast. This guy is built like a prototypical running back with huge thighs but he isn’t strictly an inside runner. Watch the tape. He can turn the corner . He’s running away from DB’s in the open field and accelerating out of cuts rapidly. Whoever said he has to take a while to get to top soeed isn’t watching closely. He has moves, vision, he can stop and start and change direction quickly. I never saw this from Booker. His sub 4.5 forty didn’t translate to the field, possibly because of his knee. He also didn’t run with power through tackles like Freeman. This dude sheds tackles and doesn’t even break stride. He’s got tremendous leg drive and he is tough to bring down because he squares up and absorbs contact while keeping his legs churning. I don’t see that in Booker either. On top of that he can definitely catch the ball. He made two impressive over the shoulder catches that are indicative that of good hands and advanced hand-eye coordination like a WR has. I think he’s going to surprise people.

It will be interesting to see all three of these guys compete fully healthy, if they remain that way.
I just don't see the power in Freeman. I watched about 10 videos of him and did not see a single play where he took contact at the line and moved a pile. That is what Denver has needed forever. If a defender gets his arms on him, he typically goes down on first contact. He does fall forward more often than not. I agree with the rest of your post. He takes good angles, runs with good speed, and looks like a factor as a receiver.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #129
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
I just don't see the power in Freeman. I watched about 10 videos of him and did not see a single play where he took contact at the line and moved a pile. That is what Denver has needed forever. If a defender gets his arms on him, he typically goes down on first contact. He does fall forward more often than not. I agree with the rest of your post. He takes good angles, runs with good speed, and looks like a factor as a receiver.
Are we watching the same guy?

For starters, did you see the broken tackle count? It's among the highest in the country. He set the PAC 12 record for rushing TD's, and that wouldn't happen if he was going down on the first contact. Watch the video posted at the start of this thread. What I notice more than anything else, is that it's tough to get a clean hit on this guy. He jukes, bounces off bodies, stops and starts, shifts gears, changes directions, cuts back, etc...like a scatback. I had to remind myself that I was watching a 230-pound guy because he doesn't run like that. But there are numerous broken tackles in these highlights which don't look as impressive as a guy just bulling over somebody, because of this very fact...it's tough to get hold of this guy and land a clean shot. If you're looking for raw power though, there are two very impressive pile mover plays here and one in which he just unloads on a dude. Observe:

2:18 - He breaks three tackles and goes for 39 yards against Washington State

2:44 - He breaks a tackle, jukes a couple guy and bolts down the sideline for 41 yards, breaking a 2nd tackle near the end of the run

6:36 - He flattens a Wyoming linebacker and bulls through the line for a 4 yard TD run...this is a violent collision and he pancakes this guy.

7:25 - He moves a pile of 3 or 4 guys with pure straight up second effort and some serious leg drive to bull in for a TD. This is an impressive display of power and raw strength.

9:37 - Another pure strength play, he bulls through three tacklers stacked up near the goal line on pure second effort and scores on 2nd and goal, pushing a pile of humanity in the process

10:18 - He runs for a TD and swats a linebacker's arm tackle away like a fly

What I see here from him that I didn't see from CJ Anderson, is a guy who can flat out improvise on the run. He can create his own yardage. This is a 230-pound guy making moves I expect to see from a back 25 pounds lighter. I think if he gets used to the NFL style offenses where he has to deal with second and third level defenders near the line of scrimmage more, he's going to be a really good back.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #130
qbronco
Lifelong Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

While I understand why they drafted Freeman, I am also a little apprehensive on what to expect. He had a lot of yards and TDs, but also had a lot of carries and hits. Thatís wear on the tires reminiscent of Ball at Wisconsin.
qbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #131
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbronco View Post
While I understand why they drafted Freeman, I am also a little apprehensive on what to expect. He had a lot of yards and TDs, but also had a lot of carries and hits. Thatís wear on the tires reminiscent of Ball at Wisconsin.
Good point, their total touches are close to the same, but Ball's carries came mostly in his last two years, when he touched it 697 times, while Freeman's were spread out evenly over four years, his last two he only touched it 449 times. On top of this, Ball had nowhere near the ability to avoid contact that this guy has. Every time I watched Ball he was running into people head on. Not so with Freeman. He's slipping tackles in these highlights where defenders are only getting glancing shots, sometimes not even getting a hand on him. Runners who can avoid punishment by setting up defenders to miss entirely or reduce the impact of the hit can last a lot longer in the NFL. Freeman played 51 games, and it appears he may have only missed one game due to a shoulder injury in his junior year. He was back the next week and played injured for several more games. This is a pretty tough kid with no knee injuries or surgeries, a running style that could prolong his career and the skills of a 3 down back. If his game translates to the NFL, we got a great pick in the 3rd round. If we pair him with Henderson so they're splitting 30-35 carries a week, we might have a nice 1-2 punch that's better than anything we've seen in a good while.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #132
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I think sometimes you watch a piece of video, or read an article, and think... "hmm, whats the one thing I can say that will ruffle feathers. Got it!"
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #133
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

People b****ing about Royce are clueless.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #134
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Thank you. Royce was a great value and talent that will produce in this offense.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #135
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Such a great pick. What a great weekend of picks. Couldn't have been better.
Total reload of the offense in one draft. Rebuilt the glaring holes on defense.
Sua, Veldheer, King, McDonald, Keenum in FA/Trades. Awesome
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #136
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I think sometimes you watch a piece of video, or read an article, and think... "hmm, whats the one thing I can say that will ruffle feathers. Got it!"
Come on dude, I'm not evil.

My thought process is more like "the best players at this position can do XYZ... what is the dropoff with the player we have?"

I tend to appear more negative because other people have typically covered the positives.

Last edited by Brohemoth; 04-29-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Old 04-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #137
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
You would worry about that if he was a 1st round pick. As a 3rd rounder, and 2 guys to help carry the load, wear & tear isnít a huge issue. Besides, Ball didnít wear out prematurely, he wasnít dedicated and an alcoholic. Studesville had to talk to him because he would come to team meetings smelling like a rummy, because apparently, he was one.

Last edited by R8R H8R; 04-29-2018 at 12:11 PM..
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #138
kappys
Ring of Famer

ďIt will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Ball's problem was the vodka in the water bottle not the hits he took in college. He did a very nice job down the stretch his rookie season after that the alcohol took its toll...
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #139
kappys
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastBronco View Post
Donít you think he runs a little upright, though?
Yup biggest problem in the highlight reel. He's elusive enough at the college level to avoid the big hits but in the NFL he is gonna get killed if he runs like this.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #140
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Are we watching the same guy?

For starters, did you see the broken tackle count? It's among the highest in the country. He set the PAC 12 record for rushing TD's, and that wouldn't happen if he was going down on the first contact. Watch the video posted at the start of this thread. What I notice more than anything else, is that it's tough to get a clean hit on this guy. He jukes, bounces off bodies, stops and starts, shifts gears, changes directions, cuts back, etc...like a scatback. I had to remind myself that I was watching a 230-pound guy because he doesn't run like that. But there are numerous broken tackles in these highlights which don't look as impressive as a guy just bulling over somebody, because of this very fact...it's tough to get hold of this guy and land a clean shot. If you're looking for raw power though, there are two very impressive pile mover plays here and one in which he just unloads on a dude. Observe:

2:18 - He breaks three tackles and goes for 39 yards against Washington State

2:44 - He breaks a tackle, jukes a couple guy and bolts down the sideline for 41 yards, breaking a 2nd tackle near the end of the run

6:36 - He flattens a Wyoming linebacker and bulls through the line for a 4 yard TD run...this is a violent collision and he pancakes this guy.

7:25 - He moves a pile of 3 or 4 guys with pure straight up second effort and some serious leg drive to bull in for a TD. This is an impressive display of power and raw strength.

9:37 - Another pure strength play, he bulls through three tacklers stacked up near the goal line on pure second effort and scores on 2nd and goal, pushing a pile of humanity in the process

10:18 - He runs for a TD and swats a linebacker's arm tackle away like a fly

What I see here from him that I didn't see from CJ Anderson, is a guy who can flat out improvise on the run. He can create his own yardage. This is a 230-pound guy making moves I expect to see from a back 25 pounds lighter. I think if he gets used to the NFL style offenses where he has to deal with second and third level defenders near the line of scrimmage more, he's going to be a really good back.
Don't get me wrong. Those are great plays. I still don't see a true leg-churning, take defenders with you to the second level kind of play. 9:37 is the closest thing and it's not really what I'm describing since he backs his way into the endzone. 7:25 he just gets picked up and it's o-line versus d-line at that point.

Also, I would like to see a little more elusiveness when Freeman does get caught. He is great at running through hand tackles and diving defenders. I guess I'm just sour because of plays like the one below from the Guice and Chubb type RBs. I thought that was what Denver was aiming for and it feels like we barely missed.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #141
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
Yup biggest problem in the highlight reel. He's elusive enough at the college level to avoid the big hits but in the NFL he is gonna get killed if he runs like this.
Most of the highlight reel footage I see is him streaking downfield juking defenders in his wake, blowing past DB's in the open field and dashing through holes into open spaces. Why would he be running low to the ground in those situations? Look at the play against Wyoming I posted where he lowers his head and smashes a dude into splinters on the goal line. He's running head down, low center of gravity and shoulders squared. He rams the LB like a bull goring a matador.

I think this guy has natural runner's instincts. He runs to daylight, he's patient behind blocks, he slides laterally and cuts it upfield decisively, and he doesn't waste time dancing in the hole like Moreno used to. He explodes through cracks in the line and he can juke smaller, quicker players as well. I don't see much not to like.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #142
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. Those are great plays. I still don't see a true leg-churning, take defenders with you to the second level kind of play. 9:37 is the closest thing and it's not really what I'm describing since he backs his way into the endzone. 7:25 he just gets picked up and it's o-line versus d-line at that point.

Also, I would like to see a little more elusiveness when Freeman does get caught. He is great at running through hand tackles and diving defenders. I guess I'm just sour because of plays like the one below from the Guice and Chubb type RBs. I thought that was what Denver was aiming for and it feels like we barely missed.

Watch the leg drive on that play where you said he backs into the end zone. He's not backing in, he's pushing his way in with pure power. Take a close look at his thighs, they're massive. The one where it's O-line vs. D-line, he still initiated the thrust and kept his feet before the scrum ensued. You're not going to see every play he's made in these highlights. mostly they show TD's and big runs. This guy went for over 1,800 yards...AS A FRESHMAN. How often has that happened in major college football? Very very rarely. Also, a lot of those hand tackles and diving at his feet...he created that. You see him making moves that leave defenders grasping at what they couldn't set up to hit...a moving target shifting directions instantly, adjusting angles, stopping and starting and then accelerating quickly past them into open space. Those aren't bad tackles just because the defenders were in bad positions, they're often bad because he put them in those positions.

He's 230 pounds...I haven't seen another Bronco runner with moves like this kid in quite some time. Even TD wasn't this type of RB. He was a power guy who had deceptive speed, great balance and vision and he knew where to find holes. But this kid has more wiggle than any back I've seen here, maybe since Portis. What I like though, is that he doesn't waste time trying to use moves for no reason. He goes north/south in the blink of an eye for a guy that big. After looking at him now, I'm pretty surprised he wasn't gone by the 2nd round or even the late first. He's better than a lot of smaller backs at gaining separation, and he seems to carry himself like an alpha dog as well.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #143
BroncoFox
Cheervixen

If I have fleas.. they are happy.

He'll be fine.. he'll bulk up and be a solid addition.

Unless of course he fumbles one time in preseason. If he does, he'll be benched until week 16, and immediately cut once the season is over. >.>
BroncoFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #144
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Here's what I meant by him having massive thighs...this is an RB squatting 600 pounds....easily. This kid is a stud.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #145
Broncoandrew
Ring of Famer

In hoc signo vinces

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keenum (I hope)

Quote:
Here's what I meant by him having massive thighs...this is an RB squatting 600 pounds....easily. This kid is a stud.

I just hope he's all he is quacked up to be.
Broncoandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #146
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Booker's issue is vision, which really can't be taught. That is actually the biggest asset you see in Freeman's game. He see's creases and blocks developing. Booker is your classic, run where the play is designed and hope there's a hole.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #147
kappys
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Most of the highlight reel footage I see is him streaking downfield juking defenders in his wake, blowing past DB's in the open field and dashing through holes into open spaces. Why would he be running low to the ground in those situations? Look at the play against Wyoming I posted where he lowers his head and smashes a dude into splinters on the goal line. He's running head down, low center of gravity and shoulders squared. He rams the LB like a bull goring a matador.

I think this guy has natural runner's instincts. He runs to daylight, he's patient behind blocks, he slides laterally and cuts it upfield decisively, and he doesn't waste time dancing in the hole like Moreno used to. He explodes through cracks in the line and he can juke smaller, quicker players as well. I don't see much not to like.
Holes close much more quickly in the NFL - he needs to go low through the hole then explode afterwards, if he wants to run upright when he is streaking down the field fine, but he needs to get lower when he's going through the line
Old 04-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #148
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
Holes close much more quickly in the NFL - he needs to go low through the hole then explode afterwards, if he wants to run upright when he is streaking down the field fine, but he needs to get lower when he's going through the line
And he doubtless will as he learns how to run in the NFL, but based on the tape I see of this kid so far, he looks like a considerably more explosive back than CJ Anderson ever was. I like CJ, but he ran heavy, more of a lumbering style that took advantage of power and an occasional move like the jump cuts he was noted for. This guy runs like a swivel-hipped 200 pounder in a 230 pound body. I think if he stays healthy he's a steal.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #149
qbronco
Lifelong Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Booker's issue is vision, which really can't be taught. That is actually the biggest asset you see in Freeman's game. He see's creases and blocks developing. Booker is your classic, run where the play is designed and hope there's a hole.
I criticized CJ for the same thing. Many times, he ran to the point of contact instead of running through the hole created by the block. In retrospect, I wonder, now, if that is how they were coached. As much as we all loved Studesville, getting a new RB coach (Modkins) may turn out to be a good thing.
qbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #150
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

First thing I noticed in his tape was how good his Oline was. He wasn't being touched until he was into the secondary.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote