The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #1
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Nancy Pelosi with first bill will open door towards public finance of campaigns

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...1pz?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote:
The coming legislation, already known as H.R. 1, involves a holistic approach — covering campaign finance, voting rights and government ethics reforms. One essential feature is a new way to finance campaigns that would combat big money's corrupting influence in American politics.

Wealthy donors and special interests now drown elections in an ocean of influence-seeking and dark money. We can greatly diminish their corrupting influence on government decisions by flooding elections with small contributions, bolstered by robust public matching funds.

The Democrats' bill would do this by creating a system in which small contributions to candidates, up to $200 per donor, are matched with public funds at a 6 to 1 ratio. In return, candidates who participate would agree to a substantially lower contribution limit than the current one.
Definitely a step in the right direction.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Good first step. This needs to go the route of an amendment to the Constitution that throws out Citizens United and every ruling that sprang from that. 100% public financing of all elections. Period.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Bronx33
We Stink

Camaraderie-ship for all

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juicy Jewel

I think each candidate should start with the same amount of money and let the best man or women win/earn it money shouldn't be a factor.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
I think each candidate should start with the same amount of money and let the best man or women win/earn it money shouldn't be a factor.
This. Plus they should only be given 2 months to make their case. Stop this 2 year campaign cycle.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

I'm pretty skeptical of this given that Pelosi's behind it. There's something they aren't telling us.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm pretty skeptical of this given that Pelosi's behind it. There's something they aren't telling us.
Surprised to see the differences between a democratic lead house vs a republican lead house?
Old 12-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
This. Plus they should only be given 2 months to make their case. Stop this 2 year campaign cycle.
2 months is not enough time. It takes a while for candidates to be publicly vetted. You got primaries to think about as well.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
2 months is not enough time. It takes a while for candidates to be publicly vetted. You got primaries to think about as well.
Then you need to lengthen congressional terms or shrink districts and essentially double the size of the the House. Those people spend more time running than governing.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Then you need to lengthen congressional terms or shrink districts and essentially double the size of the the House. Those people spend more time running than governing.
Congressional terms should be 4 years not 2.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
It was a spitball. Campaign season is way too long now. Public vetting for the most part is crap because most people aren’t paying that much attention for one and by month 2 all the ads are skewing negative which makes any vetting more convoluted.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
W*GS
Eppure si scalda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Good first step. This needs to go the route of an amendment to the Constitution that throws out Citizens United and every ruling that sprang from that. 100% public financing of all elections. Period.
A possible good outcome of a Constitutional Convention.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Surprised to see the differences between a democratic lead house vs a republican lead house?
No. Surprised that 78 year old Pelosi has changed since she was in charge when she was 70 years old. Can’t teach a old dog new tricks.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
Arkie
Ring of Famer

I think non-voters shouldn’t have to pay for this political crap. It’s not like there’s much difference between Trump and Hillary, and they get the most donations. Thus, they will get more of my money to help them achieve what I’m hoping they fail at. Why should third parties like me have to pay more them? I want everybody to pay for my candidate.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #14
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Does it hurt to be so naive? I mean Pelosi's whole career has been built on big money donations, so this move just doesn't make sense for her. It's okay to not swallow the horse **** either party tries to feed you. You know that right?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #15
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
I think non-voters shouldn’t have to pay for this political crap. It’s not like there’s much difference between Trump and Hillary, and they get the most donations. Thus, they will get more of my money to help them achieve what I’m hoping they fail at. Why should third parties like me have to pay more them? I want everybody to pay for my candidate.
Well then, dumbass non-voters should vote then.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #16
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Public financing would make politicians accountable to the taxpayers.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #17
houghtam
Ring of Famer

People who don’t drive still pay taxes that pay for roads. People who don’t have kids still pay taxes for schools.

And they should. Suck it up buttercup.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Fear the Hawk
Ring of Famer

Proud member of the Deep State.

This might work but I still support a national initiative process to keep lawmakers honest.
Fear the Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #19
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Make the NFL Great Again

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Exactly when was the last time either party passed legislation that would limit their access to funding?

Why not a spending cap depending on the which office the candidate files for, it works in the NFL.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #20
houghtam
Ring of Famer

And if a candidate broke the spending limit, ie violated campaign finance laws, you’d have people like here on this board going “HURRR SOOOOO? WE WON GIT OVUR IT”
Old 12-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #21
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Or should I say, “meh”.

lol