The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #4226
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

"Buy in, or get the hell out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
It really is not. To this point, they defeated the Tyrell army, and Olenna herself said warfare is not exactly their strong point.

I'm betting the unsullied raze Casterly Rock to the ground and head out rather than sit and be pounded into the ground by the Ironborn fleet. A lot went on in this episode. It was exciting. And Olenna Tyrell wins best mic drop speech of the show. That was awesome.

Well that was the idea, wasn't it? I believe Jamie told Olenna that they wanted to trap and starve the Unsullied out at Casterly Rock, and make them march on Kings Landing now that their fleet has been destroyed.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #4227
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
Well that was the idea, wasn't it? I believe Jamie told Olenna that they wanted to trap and starve the Unsullied out at Casterly Rock, and make them march on Kings Landing now that their fleet has been destroyed.

I think the point was to trap the Lannister forces at Casterly Rock, then tear it apart brick by brick. Not to occupy it or hold it for any length of time. And this is the unsullied...if they have to march across Westeros, then that is what they'll do.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #4228
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

The show numbers on the size of the Armies is nothing compared to being what is written in the books. This video on YouTube gives a pretty decent summary, but obviously what has transpired so far this season isn't taken into account.

I'm not sure how many people in the Reach (army wise), are loyal to Cersei.

I'm also not sure what role Dorne will play with Ellaria in captivity, but obviously they won't be with the Lannisters.

Vale + North (including Wildlings) = ~ 60,000 men.

Danny, well, perhaps 100,000 if the numbers of the video are true. Somewhat less now, and will be less after next week.

Lannisters, sans the Reach (and Greyjoys) are boned.

Last edited by Requiem; 07-31-2017 at 02:36 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #4229
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Cersei isn't going to go down easy.

With winter moving in, sea power should become a much bigger factor as overland treks become harder to manage and support.

The Vale (and North) may be pinned down defending against the Walkers.

Don't discount the super-ballistae.

If all else fails, she'll try to burn the whole city down.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #4230
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

It is me or is Euron becoming my favorite villain or all time? I'm not sure if I can call him a villain on this show but he's hilarious.
Bigdawg26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #4231
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
It is me or is Euron becoming my favorite villain or all time? I'm not sure if I can call him a villain on this show but he's hilarious.

He is quickly becoming Robert 2.0. We all know what happened to Robert.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #4232
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Euron seems greatly overpowered. Theon and Yara don't know Euron is there until his ship literally crashes into theirs. The Ironborn are experts of the sea. You're telling me that out of a hundred ships and a thousand trained sailors, nobody would be paying attention or sound an alarm sooner? But meanwhile Euron's men have night vision and are able to pinpoint Yara's ship? I call bull****.

Then Euron sails all the way to King's Landing to show off his trophies, but still manages to catch the Unsullied? And this time the fleet is caught completely off-guard in broad daylight. You can spot ships on the horizon 10+ miles away. Even with good wind it would take a flagship fleet an hour minimum to close the gap. There would be plenty of time to inform Grey Worm or other generals on land. And even if we disregard that absurd plot hole, what happened to the slave traders' unstoppable trebuchets? Were they removed from the ships? That would be pretty stupid when Daenerys is prepared to lay siege to King's Landing, Casterly Rock, other ships, etc.

Euron could be an awesome character but the show is propping him up on a completely **** plot.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #4233
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
Euron seems greatly overpowered. Theon and Yara don't know Euron is there until his ship literally crashes into theirs. The Ironborn are experts of the sea. You're telling me that out of a hundred ships and a thousand trained sailors, nobody would be paying attention or sound an alarm sooner? But meanwhile Euron's men have night vision and are able to pinpoint Yara's ship? I call bull****.

Then Euron sails all the way to King's Landing to show off his trophies, but still manages to catch the Unsullied? And this time the fleet is caught completely off-guard in broad daylight. You can spot ships on the horizon 10+ miles away. Even with good wind it would take a flagship fleet an hour minimum to close the gap. There would be plenty of time to inform Grey Worm or other generals on land. And even if we disregard that absurd plot hole, what happened to the slave traders' unstoppable trebuchets? Were they removed from the ships? That would be pretty stupid when Daenerys is prepared to lay siege to King's Landing, Casterly Rock, other ships, etc.

Euron could be an awesome character but the show is propping him up on a completely **** plot.
Well I don't think anybody was on those ships when the Unsullied took Casterly Rock. I think that's who they were able to burn them. I agree with you on the plot holes (because they is no way 1 army of pirates can beat another army of pirates with another freaking army with them as well) but you have to admit Euron is funny as hell.
Bigdawg26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #4234
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Euron GPOAT.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #4235
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Problem is, how much of an episode do you think would have to be consumed to give this plot line the nuance required?
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #4236
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Problem is, how much of an episode do you think would have to be consumed to give this plot line the nuance required?
It's not asking much. These producers have repeatedly done pre-battle scenes and then jumped to the aftermath or mid-battle sequence (i.e. Robb Stark vs Jaime, Lannisters vs High Garden, Tyrion vs Starks, Red Wedding, etc.). It would only require a minute to show ships approaching and the ensuing panic. It may even save money and time if you cut the bull**** Euron entrance and ship crash animations.

Show the approaching ships. Jump to the battle. Show two ships fighting side by side and have Euron step through flames or something. He would still have the same dramatic and maniacal effect.

The show goes over an hour every Sunday. What's an extra minute? Take it from the Hound scene if you have to.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #4237
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Well I don't think anybody was on those ships when the Unsullied took Casterly Rock. I think that's who they were able to burn them. I agree with you on the plot holes (because they is no way 1 army of pirates can beat another army of pirates with another freaking army with them as well) but you have to admit Euron is funny as hell.
They didn't have another army with them--they were on the way to Dorne to pick up the army.

Of course, that means the Dorne army is still out there, Cersei is busy torturing their leader, and the army could march on KL pretty damn quick.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #4238
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's not asking much. These producers have repeatedly done pre-battle scenes and then jumped to the aftermath or mid-battle sequence (i.e. Robb Stark vs Jaime, Lannisters vs High Garden, Tyrion vs Starks, Red Wedding, etc.). It would only require a minute to show ships approaching and the ensuing panic. It may even save money and time if you cut the bull**** Euron entrance and ship crash animations.

Show the approaching ships. Jump to the battle. Show two ships fighting side by side and have Euron step through flames or something. He would still have the same dramatic and maniacal effect.

The show goes over an hour every Sunday. What's an extra minute? Take it from the Hound scene if you have to.
I don't think they wanted the impression of an epic naval battle. More of a quick raid and dash. Because having Euron engage in one major battle and then quick head over to handle another apparently unimpeded would strain credulity even more.

Especially considering Casterly is supposedly on the other side of the continent. Which is something that is even more of a problem, honestly. Why would the unsullied have even sailed over there in the first place? Seems like a long way around and a needless complication for an apparently unstoppable land force.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #4239
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
They didn't have another army with them--they were on the way to Dorne to pick up the army.

Of course, that means the Dorne army is still out there, Cersei is busy torturing their leader, and the army could march on KL pretty damn quick.
The plain truth of the matter is the soap opera dynamics are going to trump the military dynamics for the remainder of the series. (If they haven't always)

The military outcomes will be bent to match whatever interpersonal dynamics the writers are trying to get to.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #4240
A Defiant Goose
Ring of Famer

Now give me back my avatar!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Euron is ****ing awesome. Which sorta makes him a ... not great villain? How many other bads in this game have we liked? Everyone hated Joffrey and Ramsay. Nobody really hates Euron. Cersei's shtick has gotten kind of old honestly. I hope there's someone much more hateable on the horizon coming up. Can't even hate on the night king.
A Defiant Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #4241
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

"Buy in, or get the hell out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Defiant Goose View Post
Euron is ****ing awesome. Which sorta makes him a ... not great villain? How many other bads in this game have we liked? Everyone hated Joffrey and Ramsay. Nobody really hates Euron. Cersei's shtick has gotten kind of old honestly. I hope there's someone much more hateable on the horizon coming up. Can't even hate on the night king.

Agree on the Night King. I can't help but root a lil bit for the White Walkers. They're bad a**.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take a whole lot for me to hate Sansa. Kinda headed in that direction slowly. Imma go with Sansa. Or maybe Petyr Baelish. He's an inappropriate touch away from being full blown creeper anyways
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #4242
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jamal Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
Agree on the Night King. I can't help but root a lil bit for the White Walkers. They're bad a**.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take a whole lot for me to hate Sansa. Kinda headed in that direction slowly. Imma go with Sansa. Or maybe Petyr Baelish. He's an inappropriate touch away from being full blown creeper anyways
isn't Theon a bad guy?

Characters I am wanting to see written off:
Theon
Little Finger
Greyworm (only because he incapable doing anything with Missande)
Euron
Bran
All the Stark Bannerman except for Lyanna Mormount (she is so badass)

If they write off these characters, i might stop watching.
Tyrion
Danny
Jon
Cersei (There has to be a bad guy and she is it til the end. Could careless about the night king)
The Hound
Tormund

Really sucked they killed off Tywin.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #4243
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
isn't Theon a bad guy?
Theon is hardly a villain now. He took his medicine and then some. He's just a scared weakling who is in the forefront because of his sister.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #4244
A Defiant Goose
Ring of Famer

Now give me back my avatar!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone else feel like the snake chick got off kinda easy on her punishment after poisoning Cersei's only daughter? I mean, it sucks, but no physical torture? Just watching your daughter rot before your eyes until you die? Meh
A Defiant Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #4245
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Anyone else feel like the snake chick got off kinda easy on her punishment after poisoning Cersei's only daughter? I mean, it sucks, but no physical torture? Just watching your daughter rot before your eyes until you die? Meh
It's a horrible fate, but the snake may yet live.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #4246
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think this series is getting worse by the year. The writers are pulling things out of their hat and showing **** on a wall to see if it sticks. The storyline is all over the place, way too many characters, even when they kill off 20 of them, there were 20 new ones to take their place.

This series is one of the most over hyped series of all time if you ask me. I do enjoy it, but it's nothing close to epic like some think it is.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #4247
jutang
Ring of Famer

I can understand they need to condense things to make the plot move forward and close story lines but it's been really sloppy. Euron playing naval warfare like he found a God/No Clip cheat code. Jorah getting cured b/c Sam peels off the grey scale and "follows the directions"... that's the best the writers could come up with!

The rush finish the story is leading to plot holes and dumb characters issues that you see out of a victim in a B rated horror movie.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:34 PM   #4248
doof
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
It's a horrible fate, but the snake may yet live.
In comes Bronn to save the day, that would be predictable.
doof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:17 AM   #4249
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Don't have kids huh?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:54 AM   #4250
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
I can understand they need to condense things to make the plot move forward and close story lines but it's been really sloppy. Euron playing naval warfare like he found a God/No Clip cheat code. Jorah getting cured b/c Sam peels off the grey scale and "follows the directions"... that's the best the writers could come up with!

The rush finish the story is leading to plot holes and dumb characters issues that you see out of a victim in a B rated horror movie.

I agree with this. Now that they've used up all of George RR Martin's intricate plot points they've been giving us complete bull**** to fill in the overview he gave them, and it sucks.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote