The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2017, 01:46 AM   #151
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Coming out of retirement for a pay day I understand but at least have a worthy opponent fight Triple G or canelo. Not a Amateur fighter, its a black mark on the sport in my opinion
uhhh, he already fought canelo. it was not competitive
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #152
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
Three shots to the Dick in a row... unreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
He was toast before that. And I'm not sure all were low. That last one def was
That's the controversy part. It wasn't low blows that won that fight. And I don't know if those low blows affected the fight. If I'm remembering right, there were three questionable punches. Two of them were on the belt. One at the very end was slightly below the belt. But Kovalev was done before that punch. Ward landed a devastating right to Kovalev's jaw that pretty much ended the fight. As Ward was finishing him off, Kovalev bent over on his own because he was taking a beating, and that's where that low punch happened.

I've never boxed, so I don't know how low a punch has to be for it to hit a boxer in the nuts. But boxers wear those groin protectors, and it looked like those punches would have hit a large pad above the nuts. I thought Kovalev was trying to use the low punches as a way to buy some time to rest. But again, I've never boxed.

I thought that it was a very competitive fight through six rounds, with Kovalev slightly winning. But Kovalev punched himself out, came out exhausted in the 7th round, and then Ward smoked him, fair and square.
Jason in LA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #153
Punisher
®The Duke and the Crew

97,98,2015 Champs WOOOOOOOOOOOO!®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
uhhh, he already fought canelo. it was not competitive
Duh I know he fought Canelo I say fight him again since he's a better fighter now. And Canelo will destroy that amateur Conner
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #154
Punisher
®The Duke and the Crew

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7

Quote:
He's still fighting a fighter. It's not like he's fighting Sylvester Stallone. It's a spectacle, and a spectacle we'll all watch
Dude he might as well fight Stallone
Old 06-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #155
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Dude he might as well fight Stallone
I'd watch that too, I won't lie
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #156
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Still that kovalev vs Ward fight is a 100X better than any maywesather v paq vs Mcgregor fight has or will be.

GGG is my fav to watch.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #157
OABB
Always a little

RUMMY

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
Still that kovalev vs Ward fight is a 100X better than any maywesather v paq vs Mcgregor fight has or will be.

GGG is my fav to watch.
Loma is my boy
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #158
Punisher
®The Duke and the Crew

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7

Quote:
I'd watch that too, I won't lie
Lol me too but I won't pay for it
Old 06-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #159
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I wouldn't pay to see this fight because boxing is boring now. Fighting with king sized pillows on their hands. Once you watch some good UFC fights, you can't go back to boxing.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #160
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I wouldn't pay to see this fight because boxing is boring now. Fighting with king sized pillows on their hands. Once you watch some good UFC fights, you can't go back to boxing.
Uh, bull. A mediocre boxing match is far more entertaining than the average UFC bout, where they just end up rolling around in the coitus position every round. UFC just promotes itself better than the dinosaurs like Bob Arum who run boxing.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:03 AM   #161
OABB
Always a little

RUMMY

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
UFC has made me like boxing even more actually. I prefer skill level to sport action. I like hockey more than basketball for instance.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #162
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
A.J. Derby

Former UFC fighter Tim Hague dies 2 days after getting knocked out in a boxing match. RIP

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...619-story.html
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #163
jmz313
Ring of Famer

My biggest issue is boxing is how, Seemingly, 50% of high profile fights are marred in some judging controversy. its what made me lose interest about 10 years ago. I'd debate that compubox killed boxing. Judges seem worried to be out of line with the Compubox numbers which are inaccurate themselves.

This fight is pop culture. It can't really harm boxing or MMA... it can only help IMO.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #164
OABB
Always a little

RUMMY

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
My biggest issue is boxing is how, Seemingly, 50% of high profile fights are marred in some judging controversy. its what made me lose interest about 10 years ago. I'd debate that compubox killed boxing. Judges seem worried to be out of line with the Compubox numbers which are inaccurate themselves.

This fight is pop culture. It can't really harm boxing or MMA... it can only help IMO.
UFC has just as much controversy. At least boxing tries to not all 1
Company.

Hell, UFC wines and dines the judges.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #165
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post

I agree that the judges can hurt boxing with bad decisions. I'm not sure if compubox is the issue. I was always under the impression that the judges didn't see those numbers during the fight. I could be wrong.

Sometimes it's like the judges are watching a different fight. Like in the fight the other night, while I thought that it was competitive through seven rounds, and fairly close, I thought that it was pretty clear that Kovalev was winning. But on two of the scorecards, they had Ward winning. After the seventh round, I thought that Ward would go on a dominate the final rounds and pull it out, but I thought that Kovalev was clearly better in the first half of that fight.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #166
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Uh, bull. A mediocre boxing match is far more entertaining than the average UFC bout, where they just end up rolling around in the coitus position every round. UFC just promotes itself better than the dinosaurs like Bob Arum who run boxing.
I've never been interested in UFC. I'm not knocking the sport, I just never got into it like I'm into boxing. But UFC has a much better business model. From what I've seen, the top fighters can't run from each other like they can in boxing.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #167
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I agree that the judges can hurt boxing with bad decisions. I'm not sure if compubox is the issue. I was always under the impression that the judges didn't see those numbers during the fight. I could be wrong.

Sometimes it's like the judges are watching a different fight. Like in the fight the other night, while I thought that it was competitive through seven rounds, and fairly close, I thought that it was pretty clear that Kovalev was winning. But on two of the scorecards, they had Ward winning. After the seventh round, I thought that Ward would go on a dominate the final rounds and pull it out, but I thought that Kovalev was clearly better in the first half of that fight.
completely agree.

With CompuBox comment i'm supporting the thought that some judges are worried about being questioned, post result, for their scores.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #168
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
UFC has just as much controversy. At least boxing tries to not all 1
Company.

Hell, UFC wines and dines the judges.
I don't agree but that's cool. probably just speaking from different perspectives. UFC is a different beast and is a Private Company.

Boxing was having these issues years before MMA gained main stream popularity.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #169
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
i will only suggest IMO... for every 2 less exciting fights like the one you exampled above, you get 1 amazing scrap that worth talking about for days.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #170
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I've never been interested in UFC. I'm not knocking the sport, I just never got into it like I'm into boxing. But UFC has a much better business model. From what I've seen, the top fighters can't run from each other like they can in boxing.
Yeah, but I'm wondering how much longer UFC's club model can last. They tend to put more emphasis on the club brand rather than the individual fighters. A guy like Andre Ward makes $6.5 million headlining a PPV that does half the buys that an MMA PPV generates, yet the guy at the top of the card makes half or even less than what a guy like Ward gets. I'm not sure that can last. At some point, fighters are going to take notice of that descepancy and demand more. And once that happens, the club model will be harder to hold together. Guys will start branching off on their own for bigger paydays. It will be interesting to see what happens with McGregor after he fights Mayweather. Will he be willing to resume his UFC career making 5% of what he's going to get by fighting Mayweather?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #171
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I picture you as a guy who goes to the bar to watch UFC wearing gold chains, Tapout/Affliction shirts and flat bill hats.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #172
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I just find MMA too violent. It makes me uncomfortable to watch woozy people get pummeled on the ground. Like I watched a replay of that Holly Holm knockout. She knocked that chick down with a kick to the head, then jumped on her and pummeled her face like it was a street fight. It's just not for me.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #173
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Yeah, but I'm wondering how much longer UFC's club model can last. They tend to put more emphasis on the club brand rather than the individual fighters. A guy like Andre Ward makes $6.5 million headlining a PPV that does half the buys that an MMA PPV generates, yet the guy at the top of the card makes half or even less than what a guy like Ward gets. I'm not sure that can last. At some point, fighters are going to take notice of that descepancy and demand more. And once that happens, the club model will be harder to hold together. Guys will start branching off on their own for bigger paydays. It will be interesting to see what happens with McGregor after he fights Mayweather. Will he be willing to resume his UFC career making 5% of what he's going to get by fighting Mayweather?
I don't know the numbers, but it seems like in boxing, the very top fighters make the bulk of the money. I can only assume that the money is spread more evenly in the UFC... or the UFC is making the bulk of the money. I don't know.

If McGregor somehow pulls an upset and beats Mayweather, there's no point in him continuing as a UFC fighter. I'd think that he'd go right into boxing and try to cash in. Have a rematch with Mayweather, and then take on Pacquiao in another mega fight. Maybe go after the winner of GGG/Alvarez. But according to one article I read, he has four UFC fights left on his contract. So I don't know how that will work, and it is an extreme long shot that he beats Mayweather anyway.

I guess the point is that for the top fighters, there is more money in boxing. That's probably why they avoid each other. GGG and Alvarez should have fought a couple years ago. But Oscar De La Hoya wanted Alvarez to get a few more paydays before taking a potential loss.

Last edited by Jason in LA; 06-19-2017 at 09:37 AM..
Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #174
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I don't know the numbers, but it seems like in boxing, the very top fighters make the bulk of the money. I can only assume that the money is spread more evenly in the UFC... or the UFC is making the bulk of the money. I don't know.

If McGregor somehow pulls an upset and beats Mayweather, there's no point in him continuing as a UFC fighter. I'd think that he'd go right into boxing and try to cash in. Have a rematch with Mayweather, and then take on Pacquiao in another mega fight. Maybe go after the winner of GGG/Alvarez. But according to one article I read, he has four UFC fights left on his contract. So I don't know how that will work, and it is an extreme long shot that he beats Mayweather anyway.

I guess the point is that for the top fighters, there is more money in boxing. That's probably why they avoid each other. GGG and Alvarez should have fought a couple years ago. But Oscar De La Hoya wanted Alvarez to get a few more paydays before taking a potential loss.
The biggest purse in MMA history is the $3 million McGregor got for his second fight with Diaz. That PPV generated 1.65 million buys. Ward got $6.5 million for his second fight with Kovalev, even though their first fight only generated 160,000 buys. So, Ward gets more than twice the purse for a fight that generated a tenth of the buys. I just don't see how White is going to be able to sustain that model for years to come.

In boxing, managers/promoters call the shots, and they are dealing with one fighter at a time. White is running a club, so he doesn't care who wins the individual fights. Managers/promoters do care, because they get paid based on the success of an individual fighter. White offers fights to guys, and if they balk he just lets them sit because he doesn't care if they get paid or not. In boxing, the idea to get the best payday for the least amount of risk. So that's why UFC fans get more of the fights they want than do boxing fans. The UFC model is unquestionably better for fans, of course, but the boxing model is better for the fighters. I don't see how White can keep his model working for years to come. Eventually, fighters are going to demand paydays closer to what boxers get.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #175
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The biggest purse in MMA history is the $3 million McGregor got for his second fight with Diaz. That PPV generated 1.65 million buys. Ward got $6.5 million for his second fight with Kovalev, even though their first fight only generated 160,000 buys. So, Ward gets more than twice the purse for a fight that generated a tenth of the buys. I just don't see how White is going to be able to sustain that model for years to come.

In boxing, managers/promoters call the shots, and they are dealing with one fighter at a time. White is running a club, so he doesn't care who wins the individual fights. Managers/promoters do care, because they get paid based on the success of an individual fighter. White offers fights to guys, and if they balk he just lets them sit because he doesn't care if they get paid or not. In boxing, the idea to get the best payday for the least amount of risk. So that's why UFC fans get more of the fights they want than do boxing fans. The UFC model is unquestionably better for fans, of course, but the boxing model is better for the fighters. I don't see how White can keep his model working for years to come. Eventually, fighters are going to demand paydays closer to what boxers get.
I just don't see how the fighters can leverage a bigger payday in MMA if there are no other viable companies to create competition. Just cause a fighter deservedly wants more money, he's SOL unless the UFC needs him more than the fighter needs the UFC. UFC is a private company. Without competition it won't get to boxing's earnings. which is frankly, IMO, good for MMA fans at least.