The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default HBO Show: Barry

I just watched the entire first season of "Barry". I was not a Bill Hader fan but he is perfect in this role. Copied a user review from metacritic that sums it up best:

Quote:
Barry has layers man. I don't know how, but Bill Hader & friends made the simplistic and sorta worn out premise of a hitman struggling to retire into something truly special. This show is unexpectedly profound, the acting is top-notch (especially by Hader, who truly gets to shine) and last but not least it's just simply funny (Henry Winkler is effin hilarious). Couldn't recommend it enough, each episode is better than the last (except for ep. 7, that episode is absolutely fantastic).

It starts out light but this show will surprise you. Best thing I've seen in a while.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

I'm 4 episodes in and I don't really find it that funny at all... I mean, yeah, there are some moments so far... but they billed it as this great comedy and I don't get that at all.

It's actually pretty damn boring imo...

I will keep watching - hopefully it gets better.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
I'm 4 episodes in and I don't really find it that funny at all... I mean, yeah, there are some moments so far... but they billed it as this great comedy and I don't get that at all.

It's definitely not the funniest show I've ever seen but after watching the whole season I think of it as a drama. It's Breaking Bad with jokes... and because of the jokes somehow the drama hits twice as hard (which happens later in the season). Give it the next three episodes.. you won't regret it. The stakes get raised.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

I watched the whole thing and still have no idea if I liked it or not.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

I loved it. You need a certain type of sense of humor though I think. It reminded me a bit of the various dark comedies by the Coen brothers.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure is an Option for VJ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trevor Penrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post

I agree. At least it was only 30 minutes. I liked the mockumentary series he did with the other SNL guy last year. That worked.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Bill hader was funny in the james franco roast as Mr. hollywood. Jonah hill also had some good jokes about him.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I loved it. You need a certain type of sense of humor though I think. It reminded me a bit of the various dark comedies by the Coen brothers.
There were moments of magic. That bald guy is the best part of the show. And the crazy marine hitman that kept ****ing things up made me roar. I also love winkler in it. But the acting stuff bores me and the class and the girl sucks.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #9
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Wife and I love the show. I'd totally smash the lead female
jebures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
Wife and I love the show. I'd totally smash the lead female
I find her both physically unattractive and unlikeable. Youíre odd
Old 05-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
I find her both physically unattractive and unlikeable. Youíre odd
I've heard some people online say that and I sort of reject the general assumption that women need to be magazine beauties in order to play the romantic leads (not saying that's what you're saying but I think that's where a lot of others are coming from). I think she's perfect for the role... Bill Hader is not a fashion model why should she be? She really feels like the natural girl next door that's come to LA to make it big. After Hader she's probably my favourite actor in the show. I understand why you might hate her character though.. there's an inherent narcissism in many actors that she's got. I think I just "fell" for her. She fits his character as the love interest.

But interesting to see that some of you guys aren't digging it... I wonder if you're looking for something the show just isn't giving you, or if the humour doesn't work for you. TBH I find most of the violence isn't funny, it's serious (with the exception of one scene later in the season), it's dark and kind of sad.. and that contrast makes the rest of the show feel weirdly more real.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #12
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

First half was eh. The second half was great tv (episode 7...wow). I look forward to the second season
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I watched a couple but should maybe power through a few more.

I've always enjoyed Hader, but I think his presence made me expect something different.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #14
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've heard some people online say that and I sort of reject the general assumption that women need to be magazine beauties in order to play the romantic leads (not saying that's what you're saying but I think that's where a lot of others are coming from). I think she's perfect for the role... Bill Hader is not a fashion model why should she be? She really feels like the natural girl next door that's come to LA to make it big. After Hader she's probably my favourite actor in the show. I understand why you might hate her character though.. there's an inherent narcissism in many actors that she's got. I think I just "fell" for her. She fits his character as the love interest.

But interesting to see that some of you guys aren't digging it... I wonder if you're looking for something the show just isn't giving you, or if the humour doesn't work for you. TBH I find most of the violence isn't funny, it's serious (with the exception of one scene later in the season), it's dark and kind of sad.. and that contrast makes the rest of the show feel weirdly more real.
I think itís more her personality than her looks. I think if she was cute like meg Ryan Iíd like her. I live in Los Angeles and know many actors... trust me, Iím aware of the narcissism

I love the violence. Itís really just the acting class and her I donít enjoy. Every other seen makes me lol.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #15
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
I think itís more her personality than her looks. I think if she was cute like meg Ryan Iíd like her. I live in Los Angeles and know many actors... trust me, Iím aware of the narcissism

I love the violence. Itís really just the acting class and her I donít enjoy. Every other seen makes me lol.
I find the acting class an interesting vehicle for exploring how he deals (or doesn't deal) with his internal conflict. Then again, I grew up as a theatre actor so there's a lot of familiarity there.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHAD KELLY

Quote:
It reminded me a bit of the various dark comedies by the Coen brothers.
Exactly. It smashes comedy, drama and action together - then dares you to sort it out and still be entertained. That's not goundbreaking or anything, there've been similar outside-the-box shows before, but like a Coen Bros flick, you gotta be ready for lots of smart plot-twists you won't see coming.

Henry Winkler started off greedy and insulting ... then slowly mixed in a seductive, odd-ball charm like nothing I've seen before - great character. But my favorite is the bald little Chechnyan ... wife and I made a bet: She said he's gay ... I said it was a Chechyan affect, like 'Borat' from Kazakhstan. I think I lost.

Great show ... but don't wait around for it to be "ha-ha" funny, it's not gonna happen.

I give it an A-minus. Episodes should be 60-minutes, A-plus if they were.

. . . . . . . . . "I'm a Geeear-Haaad."
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #17
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Nice story with that actor is he has alopecia and was told it'd never work he should give up acting then he gets this. This show works on many levels. I agree it's not ha ha funny... the comedy serves the story.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Nice story with that actor is he has alopecia and was told it'd never work he should give up acting then he gets this. This show works on many levels. I agree it's not ha ha funny... the comedy serves the story.
He's great as Victor Zsasz on Gotham.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #19
4HorSeimian
Ring of Famer

It's all up from here boys!

Idk, 20 seconds in and a Garage Revisted poster, count me in.
4HorSeimian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #20
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
There were moments of magic. That bald guy is the best part of the show. And the crazy marine hitman that kept ****ing things up made me roar. I also love winkler in it. But the acting stuff bores me and the class and the girl sucks.
I thought she did a great job of portraying a narcisitic hollywood wannabe. I was actually pretty impressed by here acting range.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #21
OABB
Internet Warrior

Battle tested.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
I thought she did a great job of portraying a narcisitic hollywood wannabe. I was actually pretty impressed by here acting range.
I mean her character.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:10 PM   #22
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Won't ever watch it.

Draft Picks:

Round 1: 5th overall - Quenton Nelson, G - Notre Dame
Round 2: 24th overall - Ronald Jones, RB - USC
Round 3: 74th overall - Jamarco Jones, OT - Ohio State
Round 4: 109th overall - Jeff Holland, OLB/PRS - Auburn
Round 4: 128th overall - JC Jackson, CB - Maryland
Round 5: 161st overall - Tegray Scales, LB - Indiana
Round 5: 163rd overall - Jaleel Scott, WR - New Mexico State
Round 6: 182nd overall - Durham Smythe, TE - Notre Dame
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHAD KELLY

Quote:
I mean her character.
Seems to me that in this show, the writing and the dialogue are mostly responsible for the that makes the character.

The girlfriend - quintessential LA blonde actress - uninterested in anything she doesn't see in the mirror. Goran, the bald kid, Fuchs, they're all great characters, but Henry Winkler stands out the most. The quirky charm he turns on for the detective, that is truly unique stuff.

Both Goran and the character that looks to be gone as the season ends, I'm really gonna miss both of them ... and after just 7 or 8 episodes, that's a tribute

Barry's co-creator/show runner is also co-creator/EP on Silicon Valley. That's been a pretty good show too, but the plot arcs are have become so repetitive.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #24
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
I mean her character.
Youíre not supposed to like her.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:38 AM   #25
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

Quote:
I just watched the entire first season of "Barry". I was not a Bill Hader fan but he is perfect in this role. Copied a user review from metacritic that sums it up best:

It starts out light but this show will surprise you. Best thing I've seen in a while.
Always looking for something new, just finished binge watching Game of Thrones. Ever hear of that one? Good show, I can't wait for S8. Until then I will watch this one.

Netflix has another new original movie out called Cargo. It is really good and not your typical Zombie flick.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote