The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default Ginsberg Strikes a Blow Against Gerrymandering

There’s no question that North Carolina Republicans manipulated their state’s congressional map to disfavor Democratic voters. The GOP legislator who helped to draw the current map, state Rep. David Lewis, openly declared that the scheme constituted “a political gerrymander,” explaining: “I think electing Republicans is better than electing Democrats. So I drew this map to help foster what I think is better for the country.” Lewis also admitted that he used “political data in drawing this map” for the sole purpose of “gain[ing] partisan advantage,” his ultimate “goal.” He succeeded, giving Republicans an advantage in 10 out of the state’s 13 congressional districts—while noting that he would’ve preferred “to draw a map with 11 Republicans and two Democrats.” https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...dividends.html

“...partisan gerrymanders are incompatible with democratic principles.” - Justice Ruth Ginsberg
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Gerrymandering is their answer to the swing in population demographics. They know they have about 20 years left before they're facing a reversal in white majority population numbers. At that point, their only hope in maintaining power is a minority rule state similar to the model used by apartheid South Africa. This is not hyperbole, it's hard fact. Without the ability to overrule the democratic process, the fundamental nature of the country's historically white hegemonic position is reversed.

They will NEVER allow that if they can stop it in any way. This is why these billionaires are behind all this. It's transparent as glass, and it has historical precedent in the roots of the deep south. Look no further than the Jim Crow south of the early 20th century up through the Civil Rights movement. Divide the economic classes opposed to you along racial lines,and you destroy their ability to resist.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Given the recent tax bill, I'd say it has more to do with simple, out-and-out greed.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Given the recent tax bill, I'd say it has more to do with simple, out-and-out greed.
Of course it does, but you don't think someone like Robert Mercer, a white nationalist, is just in this for money do you?

Long range, it's about maintaining their vision of the world. Obviously if they can steal the wealth of the country, they have a war chest that's impossible to match.

Either way, they have to be stopped.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley

Utah has done this. Of course the people in Utah just accept it as it helps the Republicans out. Like they need any help.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #6
nyuk nyuk
Denver Native

Obey.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:

“...partisan gerrymanders are incompatible with democratic principles.” - Justice Ruth Ginsberg
In other words, the Dems are being out-gerrymandered in some places and it's driving the old crone nuts.

I'm surprised she was awake long enough to write that rant.

Maybe someone gave her a little nudge?

nyuk nyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:26 AM   #7
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

The Grand Old Pedophile assault on democracy continues...

Quote:

The 2020 census will be run by a Republican who has defended gerrymandering and voter suppression

The census will determine redistricting and voting rights enforcement.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:30 AM   #8
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuKKK
In other words, the Dems are being out-gerrymandered in some places and it's driving the old crone nuts.

I'm surprised she was awake long enough to write that rant.

Maybe someone gave her a little nudge?
How are you full of ****?

Let me count the ways...

1) It's the Grand Old Pedophiles who disproportionately benefit from gerrymandering - not Democrats.

http://www.businessinsider.com/parti...mocrats-2017-6

2) You support a serial sex offender who endorsed a pedophile for the U.S. Senate. Nothing you have to say about Al Franken is worth shyte.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:34 AM   #9
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

The drawing up of districts should be done by a non partisan commission or a commission made up equally of Dems and Re-pubes.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:29 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
The drawing up of districts should be done by a non partisan commission or a commission made up equally of Dems and Re-pubes.
Like I've said before, you could easily write a program that would fulfill the requirements of the Constitution, and it would do it ten times faster and without all the grief.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Like I've said before, you could easily write a program that would fulfill the requirements of the Constitution, and it would do it ten times faster and without all the grief.
The constitution? WTF? These people care nothing for the constitution. If they ever assume ultimate power, they will eliminate it. As it stands now, they reference it only as a propaganda tool to further their insane agenda.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
The constitution? WTF? These people care nothing for the constitution. If they ever assume ultimate power, they will eliminate it. As it stands now, they reference it only as a propaganda tool to further their insane agenda.
They certainly show that they are more committed to single party, autocratic rule than they are over anything the Constitution has to say on the subject.

“However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.”

― George Washington
Old 01-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
They certainly show that they are more committed to single party, autocratic rule than they are over anything the Constitution has to say on the subject.

“However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.”

― George Washington
I laugh extremely hard anytime a Republican breaks out one of their traditional lines about the constitution when talking about gun rights but then turn their head on every other account in the constitution. Nothing but hypocrites.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #14
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
There's really no such functional thing as 'non partisan' in this country.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote