The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 78,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default Ginsberg Strikes a Blow Against Gerrymandering

There’s no question that North Carolina Republicans manipulated their state’s congressional map to disfavor Democratic voters. The GOP legislator who helped to draw the current map, state Rep. David Lewis, openly declared that the scheme constituted “a political gerrymander,” explaining: “I think electing Republicans is better than electing Democrats. So I drew this map to help foster what I think is better for the country.” Lewis also admitted that he used “political data in drawing this map” for the sole purpose of “gain[ing] partisan advantage,” his ultimate “goal.” He succeeded, giving Republicans an advantage in 10 out of the state’s 13 congressional districts—while noting that he would’ve preferred “to draw a map with 11 Republicans and two Democrats.” https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...dividends.html

“...partisan gerrymanders are incompatible with democratic principles.” - Justice Ruth Ginsberg
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 33,892

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Gerrymandering is their answer to the swing in population demographics. They know they have about 20 years left before they're facing a reversal in white majority population numbers. At that point, their only hope in maintaining power is a minority rule state similar to the model used by apartheid South Africa. This is not hyperbole, it's hard fact. Without the ability to overrule the democratic process, the fundamental nature of the country's historically white hegemonic position is reversed.

They will NEVER allow that if they can stop it in any way. This is why these billionaires are behind all this. It's transparent as glass, and it has historical precedent in the roots of the deep south. Look no further than the Jim Crow south of the early 20th century up through the Civil Rights movement. Divide the economic classes opposed to you along racial lines,and you destroy their ability to resist.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 78,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Given the recent tax bill, I'd say it has more to do with simple, out-and-out greed.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 33,892

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Given the recent tax bill, I'd say it has more to do with simple, out-and-out greed.
Of course it does, but you don't think someone like Robert Mercer, a white nationalist, is just in this for money do you?

Long range, it's about maintaining their vision of the world. Obviously if they can steal the wealth of the country, they have a war chest that's impossible to match.

Either way, they have to be stopped.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 18,593

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley
Default

Utah has done this. Of course the people in Utah just accept it as it helps the Republicans out. Like they need any help.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #6
nyuk nyuk
Denver Native
 
nyuk nyuk's Avatar
 
Obey.

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere you don't want me to be
Posts: 3,499

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post

“...partisan gerrymanders are incompatible with democratic principles.” - Justice Ruth Ginsberg
In other words, the Dems are being out-gerrymandered in some places and it's driving the old crone nuts.

I'm surprised she was awake long enough to write that rant.

Maybe someone gave her a little nudge?

nyuk nyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:26 AM   #7
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,973
Default

The Grand Old Pedophile assault on democracy continues...

Quote:


The 2020 census will be run by a Republican who has defended gerrymandering and voter suppression

The census will determine redistricting and voting rights enforcement.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:30 AM   #8
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuKKK
In other words, the Dems are being out-gerrymandered in some places and it's driving the old crone nuts.

I'm surprised she was awake long enough to write that rant.

Maybe someone gave her a little nudge?
How are you full of ****?

Let me count the ways...

1) It's the Grand Old Pedophiles who disproportionately benefit from gerrymandering - not Democrats.

http://www.businessinsider.com/parti...mocrats-2017-6

2) You support a serial sex offender who endorsed a pedophile for the U.S. Senate. Nothing you have to say about Al Franken is worth shyte.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:34 AM   #9
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17,964

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy
Default

The drawing up of districts should be done by a non partisan commission or a commission made up equally of Dems and Re-pubes.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:29 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 78,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
The drawing up of districts should be done by a non partisan commission or a commission made up equally of Dems and Re-pubes.
Like I've said before, you could easily write a program that would fulfill the requirements of the Constitution, and it would do it ten times faster and without all the grief.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 33,892

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Like I've said before, you could easily write a program that would fulfill the requirements of the Constitution, and it would do it ten times faster and without all the grief.
The constitution? WTF? These people care nothing for the constitution. If they ever assume ultimate power, they will eliminate it. As it stands now, they reference it only as a propaganda tool to further their insane agenda.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 78,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
The constitution? WTF? These people care nothing for the constitution. If they ever assume ultimate power, they will eliminate it. As it stands now, they reference it only as a propaganda tool to further their insane agenda.
They certainly show that they are more committed to single party, autocratic rule than they are over anything the Constitution has to say on the subject.

“However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.”

― George Washington
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 18,131

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
They certainly show that they are more committed to single party, autocratic rule than they are over anything the Constitution has to say on the subject.

“However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.”

― George Washington
I laugh extremely hard anytime a Republican breaks out one of their traditional lines about the constitution when talking about gun rights but then turn their head on every other account in the constitution. Nothing but hypocrites.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #14
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32,231

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
The drawing up of districts should be done by a non partisan commission or a commission made up equally of Dems and Re-pubes.
There's really no such functional thing as 'non partisan' in this country.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Denver Broncos