The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #26
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Bonds schooled the Marlins players by beating them all in home run derby contest. Including Stanton.


http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...ncarlo-stanton



His swing never needed steroids. As a Pirate he was still putting up great hitting numbers along with steals. Sosa/McGuire and MLB and publics fascination with the long ball fueled steroids in that era.
I said all along, even without the roids he was a HOF player. Dude was just insanely gifted. I get the lure of HR's but he was a overall elite guy before them.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #27
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
I said all along, even without the roids he was a HOF player. Dude was just insanely gifted. I get the lure of HR's but he was a overall elite guy before them.
It's a sad story because Bonds is on the short list with Babe Ruth and Willie Mays as baseball's all-time three greatest players, if not THE greatest.

Bonds made poor decisions and he's suffering the consequences for it.

He will never get his due for how great he really was. His peers know he was really special and the douchebag stat nerds know it too, but the general baseball fan won't ever give him his proper due.

I don't really blame the baseball writers that refuse to vote for him because I think it sends a clear message to future players that may contemplate doping. But I do hope Bonds gets through on the 10th and final ballot of eligibility. Ten-year wait would be a good happy medium.
balero is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #28
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Bonds was blackballed from baseball in 2008, which is sad because he led the National League in OBP in 2007. He could have helped every American League club and nobody offered him a contract.
balero is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #29
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
It's a sad story because Bonds is on the short list with Babe Ruth and Willie Mays as baseball's all-time three greatest players, if not THE greatest.

Bonds made poor decisions and he's suffering the consequences for it.

He will never get his due for how great he really was. His peers know he was really special and the douchebag stat nerds know it too, but the general baseball fan won't ever give him his proper due.

I don't really blame the baseball writers that refuse to vote for him because I think it sends a clear message to future players that may contemplate doping. But I do hope Bonds gets through on the 10th and final ballot of eligibility. Ten-year wait would be a good happy medium.
Baseball is the game of cheating so the pretentiousness of writers to punish guys for steroids when pine tar, horse steroids, spit balls, stealing signs and etc was done routinely back in the day and tolerated I have issue with them all of sudden taking a stand.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #30
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Baseball is the game of cheating so the pretentiousness of writers to punish guys for steroids when pine tar, horse steroids, spit balls, stealing signs and etc was done routinely back in the day and tolerated I have issue with them all of sudden taking a stand.
Approximately 80-90 percent of ballplayers after World War II did greenies so almost everybody is guilty of cheating in some regard. Yes, that's a good point when Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry is out there cracking jokes about how he beat the system.

The problem with the late 90s-early 2000s steroid usage is there is a perception that it had a profound impact on the game as a whole. Look at the offensive leaderboard on a yearly basis during that time, it just doesn't feel like baseball as we know it. The baseball statistical catalog was held in high regard and that era wiped it out. Fair or not, doping during that time is perceived to have done more damage to the game than cheating in the 100 years prior.

In track and field, Marion Jones and Ben Johnson are banished and humiliated for life. In baseball, Bonds still has his records, he made $188 million, he still has a job in the game and he is still recognized as an all-time great. He's pretty much gone unscathed. So I don't have a problem for one institution shaming Bonds for something wrong he knowingly did.

Even though most of the pretentious writers have flawed logic and reasoning for their stance, Bonds not getting into the Hall is small potatoes. It's always been a political institution that hasn't necessarily honored the most prominent and influential baseball figures. Frankie Frisch made sure of that in the 1970s.
balero is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #31
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
Approximately 80-90 percent of ballplayers after World War II did greenies so almost everybody is guilty of cheating in some regard. Yes, that's a good point when Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry is out there cracking jokes about how he beat the system.

The problem with the late 90s-early 2000s steroid usage is there is a perception that it had a profound impact on the game as a whole. Look at the offensive leaderboard on a yearly basis during that time, it just doesn't feel like baseball as we know it. The baseball statistical catalog was held in high regard and that era wiped it out. Fair or not, doping during that time is perceived to have done more damage to the game than cheating in the 100 years prior.

In track and field, Marion Jones and Ben Johnson are banished and humiliated for life. In baseball, Bonds still has his records, he made $188 million, he still has a job in the game and he is still recognized as an all-time great. He's pretty much gone unscathed. So I don't have a problem for one institution shaming Bonds for something wrong he knowingly did.

Even though most of the pretentious writers have flawed logic and reasoning for their stance, Bonds not getting into the Hall is small potatoes. It's always been a political institution that hasn't necessarily honored the most prominent and influential baseball figures. Frankie Frisch made sure of that in the 1970s.
I understand all of that, it just seems that the writers crying foul when they celebrated most of those players and proclaimed them as bringing interest back into baseball and now "We have to take a stand against the shame they have brought to the game."
It's ridiculous.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #32
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer
 
GoneFishin''s Avatar
 
Longtime listener first time caller

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6,738

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Can't wait for baseball to start!

GoneFishin' is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #33
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
Can't wait for baseball to start!

Isn't De Grom not signing his contract out of protest?
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #34
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer
 
GoneFishin''s Avatar
 
Longtime listener first time caller

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6,738

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Isn't De Grom not signing his contract out of protest?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...164759397.html
GoneFishin' is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #35
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
Ah, gotcha.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #36
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Does anybody have worse injury luck than Troy Tulowitzki?
Attached Images
File Type: png image.png (130.0 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by balero; 03-23-2016 at 11:45 AM..
balero is offline  
Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #37
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 32,757
Default

The New York Yankees are the most valuable team in baseball once again. With a $3.4 billion valuation, the team extends its streak of being at the top of the list since 1998, when Forbes began estimating the worth of Major League Baseball teams.

The Yankees are the only baseball team worth more than $3 billion and Forbes says the team is worth $900 million more than the second-highest priced team, the Los Angeles Dodgers ($2.5 billion).


http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15...igh-34-billion
TonyR is offline  
Old 03-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #38
RepentWalpurgis
Ring of Famer
 
RepentWalpurgis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 10,189
Default

RIP Joe Garagiola.
RepentWalpurgis is offline  
Old 03-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #39
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
RIP Joe Garagiola.
Too bad today's youth didn't grow up with Garagiola calling the NBC Game of the Week with Vin Scully. They have Joe Buck to ruin their baseball viewing experience and turn away potential fans.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Joe Garagiola has passed away. Here's a wonderful piece on his career + life:<a href="https://t.co/Wi4E1wYoQl">https://t.co/Wi4E1wYoQl</a> Condolences to a great baseball family.</p>&mdash; Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/712723468605718528">March 23, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
balero is offline  
Old 03-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #40
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
Does anybody have worse injury luck than Troy Tulowitzki?
Outside of that pitcher who threw so hard he fractured his arm or elbow twice? Naw, cannot think of anyone.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 03-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #41
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Outside of that pitcher who threw so hard he fractured his arm or elbow twice? Naw, cannot think of anyone.
Joel Zumaya?
balero is offline  
Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #42
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
Joel Zumaya?
Had to google it. Tony Saunders. Broke his arm throwing pitches in 99' and 2000.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qvf4YUs8Kaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #43
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

This is scary if you're a Mets fan.

NBC Sports - HardballTalk: Matt Harvey shut down for the rest of spring training for . . . reasons
http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/03/28/...g-for-reasons/
balero is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #44
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer
 
GoneFishin''s Avatar
 
Longtime listener first time caller

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6,738

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
This is scary if you're a Mets fan.

NBC Sports - HardballTalk: Matt Harvey shut down for the rest of spring training for . . . reasons
http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/03/28/...g-for-reasons/
Mets twitter is pretty comical right now.
GoneFishin' is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #45
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,530
Default

Ouch. Harvey is key for them if they want a WS title.
Have to keep him healthy.
IndelibleScribe is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 02:41 PM   #46
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer
 
GoneFishin''s Avatar
 
Longtime listener first time caller

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6,738

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
A person with knowledge of Harvey’s medical issue termed it “not major” and indicated the pitcher’s worst-case scenario would be getting pushed back in the rotation or skipping a turn.

“If he had to have a wisdom tooth pulled, he wouldn’t pitch [Tuesday], so let’s not jump to conclusions,” Alderson said.
http://nypost.com/2016/03/28/a-hint-...dical-absence/
GoneFishin' is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #47
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 23,461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ
Default

I don't understand the wisdom tooth quote.
Beantown Bronco is offline  
Old 03-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #48
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
Harvey's ailment turned out to be minor after all.
http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/03/29/...n-his-bladder/

Right now I am watching the New York Mets on SNY, who has the best broadcast team in the business!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Mets SNY.png (187.6 KB, 56 views)
balero is offline  
Old 03-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #49
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

balero is offline  
Old 03-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #50
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

The greatest bullpen of all-time has been reduced to Dellin Betances.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_3232 (3).PNG (74.1 KB, 34 views)
balero is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Denver Broncos