The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #76
ivory hunter
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Campos has the ceiling of a No. 2 starter. His curveball is developing into a put away pitch. Changeup shows a lot of promise too. He can pinpoint his fastball and keep it down in the zone.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 AM   #77
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

And the Rockies blow a 4-3 lead in the eighth by giving up 2 runs despite the Padres never getting a hit in the inning. Some things never seem to change.........
Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #78
Belle Fourche Bronco
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
And the Rockies blow a 4-3 lead in the eighth by giving up 2 runs despite the Padres never getting a hit in the inning. Some things never seem to change.........
The worst part about it is Rex Brothers is their money reliever and he's going through a rough spot now. He has exhibited subpar command since the last week of Cactus League action.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #79
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I was looking over some stats, and has there ever been a worse season for a regular, everyday player than Adam Dunn's season in 2011?
122 games, 415 at bats, a whopping 66 hits for an average of .159, walked 75 times and struck out 177 times. Only 11 homeruns, 42 RBI's. OBP under .300 and OPS well under .600. The kicker? A WAR of -3.1. I mean, I know you're paying the guy a ton of money. but at what point do you just say "Ugh...enough."
Like BJ Upton last year, or Andruw Jones with the Dodgers.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #80
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Tanaka 2 hits (both bunts) and 10 k's in 8 shutout innings for the Yanks today. 28 strikeouts in 3 starts, looking like his stuff translated to MLB pretty well!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #81
Baltimore chop
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Tanaka 2 hits (both bunts) and 10 k's in 8 shutout innings for the Yanks today. 28 strikeouts in 3 starts, looking like his stuff translated to MLB pretty well!
And the criticism of the $150 million investment was sour grapes too. Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers, who had never handed out a $100 million contract in his career, was offering Tanaka nine figures.

Last year the Astros had the lowest payroll in baseball ($24 million on Opening Day). Jeff Luhnow, the Astros GM who as of last year signed more players than any acting or former scouting director in baseball, offered Tanaka a $100-plus million contract as well. The Yankees' peers knew Tanaka was a worthwhile investment too. It wasn't as if Brian Cashman was going out on a limb here.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #82
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore chop View Post
And the criticism of the $150 million investment was sour grapes too. Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers, who had never handed out a $100 million contract in his career, was offering Tanaka nine figures.

Last year the Astros had the lowest payroll in baseball ($24 million on Opening Day). Jeff Luhnow, the Astros GM who as of last year signed more players than any acting or former scouting director in baseball, offered Tanaka a $100-plus million contract as well. The Yankees' peers knew Tanaka was a worthwhile investment too. It wasn't as if Brian Cashman was going out on a limb here.
The looks of things, so far so good. I thought he was going to perform well, and so far he has been outstanding.

Its just, the players that don't make the investment worthwhile, the Kaz Ishii's, Hideki Irabu's, those guys stick out more. I wonder if Dice K can be considered a sort of bust?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #83
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivory hunter View Post
Campos has the ceiling of a No. 2 starter. His curveball is developing into a put away pitch. Changeup shows a lot of promise too. He can pinpoint his fastball and keep it down in the zone.
They moved him to the pen. Didn't want to risk his arm again over the long term.

EditL Nvm. That was Jose Ramirez. Had them confused for a minute.

Last edited by IndelibleScribe; 04-16-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #84
Baltimore chop
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
The looks of things, so far so good. I thought he was going to perform well, and so far he has been outstanding.

Its just, the players that don't make the investment worthwhile, the Kaz Ishii's, Hideki Irabu's, those guys stick out more. I wonder if Dice K can be considered a sort of bust?
Ishii's game translated but he got hit in the head with a liner. It was still a good signing by the Dodgers.

First and second tier starting pitchers from Japan are a safe investment in my opinion. There have been more hits than misses. Hideo Nomo, Hisashi Iwakuma, Hirodi Kuroda, Yu Darvish are the glaring success stories that come to mind.

Even Daisuke Matsuzaka posted a 160 ERA+ and had a fourth-place finish in the Cy Young voting in 2008. Overall Daisuke was a flop but he did show he could pitch here when his health and mechanics were right. Pitchers are volatile by nature.

Position players from Japan are risky but the high caliber pitchers that compete for the Japanese Cy Young Award (Eiji Sawamura Award) are worth betting on. Pitching is what the Japanese do best and they have the second best league in the world.

Other than Irabu and Kei Igawa, I like the track record.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #85
TonyR
Franchise Poster

After a shutout win with Tanaka on the mound this afternoon, the Yanks got another tonight with their other 25 year old starter on the mound. Michael Pineda now has an ERA of 1.00 after 3 starts.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #86
itswutz4dinna
Siemster's Union Member

Catch the ball, Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Angels had a crazy ending to their game with a walkoff home run just off the glove of Craig Gentry. Third ninth inning comeback for the Angels in the last five games, but the first one where they finished the job.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #87
RepentWalpurgis
Ring of Famer

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/sp...ef=sports&_r=3

Very good article on why Yadi Molina is the best catcher in the game. There's a good reason the Cardinals have such success with young pitchers.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #88
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Sure was great trading Campos and Pineda for loser Montero. NOT.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #89
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

MLB Stat of the Day ‏@MLBStatoftheDay

Albert Pujols is the first player in @MLB history hit homers No. 499 and 500 in the same game.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #90
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Tigers smoked the Royals 8-2 and are out to a respectable 15-9 record on the season.

Detroit's new manager, Brad Ausmus, has the Tigers playing a lot more aggressive, especially on the base paths, than they have in previous seasons.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #91
TheChamp24

The Legend

Man Rockies are putting up a strong start to the season, thanks to the tremendous Tulo and Blackmon.
The offense is just rolling like I expected it would.

Pitching is another story though. I'm actually surprised by Rex Brothers poor start. His lack of control is just killing him so far.

Bullpen has actually been decent enough so far, I just have no faith in the starters. Morales? lol.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #92
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Re Rockies pitchers. Pretty surprising they are 6 games over .500 losing their #1&2 pitchers. Chacin has his first start today. Not sure he is really ready yet, but hoping for the best.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #93
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Justin Morneau looks like a great signing for the Rockies.

If he can stay healthy, Morneau will put up some great numbers.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #94
BroncosfanGuy
Stoney Case for Heisman

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

going to Coors was probably the best he could do for reviving his career. He's obviously not MVP caliber anymore, but I agree if he stays healthy he can put up very solid numbers in that lineup.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #95
randerson1184
Camp Arm

2015 Super Bowl Champions!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware

I'm anxious to see how Chacin does today. Hopefully we won't have to exhaust our bullpen because we have a 4 game series coming up with the Rangers. That will be a pretty tough test.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #96
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
Re Rockies pitchers. Pretty surprising they are 6 games over .500 losing their #1&2 pitchers. Chacin has his first start today. Not sure he is really ready yet, but hoping for the best.
I'm really pumped for Gray and Butler. I hope they progress enough this year, and probably will be up on the team next year, I figure one will be a midseson/late callup as I just do not see some of the current starting pitchers still having a spot in the rotation in a couple months. But it isn't like Gray and Butler are pitching that fantastic to start the year this year, great K-BB numbers, but have been getting hit around a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

Of course a hitter will rejuvenate his career going to Coors. Plus it isn't like Morneau was terrible the past few years, he had his injuries but still played above average. You move a decent power guy into Coors, their numbers are going to go up. I liked the signing because I figured if Morneau can stay healthy, he was going to rake, not only playing in Coors, but batting behind CarGo and Tulo? Awesome.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #97
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

I'm also looking forward to Gray and Butler. But Dan Winkler is the pitcher in Tulsa who is having an exceptional year. Great to see some of the Rockies pitching prospects finally materializing.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #98
TheChamp24

The Legend

Man, when Tulo is hot and healthy, he is a legit top 5 player in baseball, at minimum.
I seriously want to see a full season from him healthy, heck I've always been under the impression he could boost similar to ARod hitting stats while playing plus defense at SS if he got it to fully click for him.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #99
TheChamp24

The Legend

Love this...
Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #100
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Man, when Tulo is hot and healthy, he is a legit top 5 player in baseball, at minimum.
I seriously want to see a full season from him healthy, heck I've always been under the impression he could boost similar to ARod hitting stats while playing plus defense at SS if he got it to fully click for him.
Three for four night - now hitting .421.
Closed Thread