The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #226
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
That's an ignorant statement.

There are only so many QBs that play at a high level. There are not enough that every team has one.

Sometimes teams just have to go with the best guy available to them at that moment, even if he sucks.
Not really. Fitzpatrick is a very ****ty QB, both as a starter and as a back up QB. There is a reason he constantly shuffled to new teams every 2-3 years.
Teams waste time on him and don't develop their young QB's under the guise of letting them learn behind a vet.

Mark Sanchez, Josh McCown, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum and a plethora of others are ****ty QB's and yet teams keep giving them chance after chance because they either pick guys with no plan in place to truly develop them or overdraft QB's who should be taken 3 rounds lower.

If you draft a QB in the top 3-4 rounds the expectation by the fans is that you are drafting him to develop him and sell him as the QB of the future. If you are not going to do that then the NFL is going to constantly end up with journey men QB's who keep getting shots to start and those teams wasting seasons.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #227
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960

cooking up a victory

actually, the NFL makes its biggest mistakes when they draft a QB high and then give him the job to JUSTIFY the draft pick !
this is a far more common occurance !
Russel Wilson , one of the few recent exceptions.
We would not know SQUAT about dak Prescott had ROMO not been injured.
we were ready to JUSTIFY BO until he demonstrated a lack of loyalty and appreciation, so JFE went with TS, knowing that he was really a more competent QB, who would not lose to a drunk chick in a pizza fight !

Kurt Warner was suppose to be the back up to the FRDC QB, but his HC risked being fired because he saw KW as the best QB on the team !
Our new HC wont be as brave, when JFE tells him, "START LYNCH" OUR NEW HC is going to say, "yes boss".
JFE's ego will decide who our starting QB is.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #228
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Not really. Fitzpatrick is a very ****ty QB, both as a starter and as a back up QB. There is a reason he constantly shuffled to new teams every 2-3 years.
Teams waste time on him and don't develop their young QB's under the guise of letting them learn behind a vet.

Mark Sanchez, Josh McCown, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum and a plethora of others are ****ty QB's and yet teams keep giving them chance after chance because they either pick guys with no plan in place to truly develop them or overdraft QB's who should be taken 3 rounds lower.

If you draft a QB in the top 3-4 rounds the expectation by the fans is that you are drafting him to develop him and sell him as the QB of the future. If you are not going to do that then the NFL is going to constantly end up with journey men QB's who keep getting shots to start and those teams wasting seasons.
This is ridiculous and assumes that all young QBs have value simply because they are young. Just stop.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #229
Rabb
Ring of Famer

I love when people use Brady or Warner as reasons to stick with Trevor. Let's pick the two biggest outliers ever.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #230
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I love when people use Brady or Warner as reasons to stick with Trevor. Let's pick the two biggest outliers ever.
That would be more ridiculous if Trevor never took a snap. Who knows if he'll be good, but young QB's have had worse starts. May the better QB win. I'll assume Lynch takes it, he's going to get every opportunity, but Trevors a tough guy. I won't doubt him.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #231
Rabb
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
That would be more ridiculous if Trevor never took a snap. Who knows if he'll be good, but young QB's have had worse starts. May the better QB win. I'll assume Lynch takes it, he's going to get every opportunity, but Trevors a tough guy. I won't doubt him.
Word
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #232
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!

Quote:
This is ridiculous and assumes that all young QBs have value simply because they are young. Just stop.

It does delay the inevitable if the young ones end up sucking. If I'm a fan of a team who drafts a QB high then starts Fitz I'm pissed. Fitz is clearly a dead end. That young QB sits 1-2 years behind him, then gets a chance and ends up sucking, thats wasted years there.

what if Fitz came here instead of Manning? Brock sits a couple years then looks like he does now. How would this fanbase look to the years Fitz started? They'd see it as a wasted opportunity of dead ends instead of finding out if Brock sucks earlier.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 07-17-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #233
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post

There's only like 2-3 examples they can pull, out of hundreds that didn't work out.

Those percentages in real life situations would never be bet on by the same people.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #234
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
There's only like 2-3 examples they can pull, out of hundreds that didn't work out.

Those percentages in real life situations would never be bet on by the same people.
The percentages aren't great with any round.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #235
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!

Quote:

Ya that's true. But of them the higher rounds have produced far more. GMs HCs etc for the most part take those percentages seriously when their jobs on the line.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #236
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Ya that's true. But of them the higher rounds have produced far more. GMs HCs etc for the most part take those percentages seriously when their jobs on the line.
sure, I'm just saying chances are low all around. If you take a look at QBs drafted from 10-end of the first round since, i dunno, 1985, its not a great list.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #237
OABB
RIP SLOTER

#13 Trevor Siemian QB Broncos.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
There are just too many factors. It's a team sport, you have to have the right system and coaches and luck factors in. Tom Brady likely never would have started in the NFL on another team. You just never know. Manning was the last sure thing I saw at qb. And even he ended up with a spotty playoff record.

All I know is a many of us are smarter than many of the NFL coaches and gms
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #238
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!

Quote:
sure, I'm just saying chances are low all around. If you take a look at QBs drafted from 10-end of the first round since, i dunno, 1985, its not a great list.

Ya it's tough no matter what. Most GMs try to take the highest probability of those bad odds, as opposed to investing in low round QBs.

Those bad odds of finding anyone are the kind of things that lead to Cousins and Stafford soon getting the highest contracts ever. Cousins at 28M per? That's coming.

32 starting QBs. 12 out of the 16 AFC QBs drafted in rounds 1-3. 13 of the 16 NFC QBs taken in rounds 1-3. 25 out of the 32 taken in first 3 rounds. Of the 7 taken rounds 4-7, 3 QBs in the 4th 2 in the 6th 1 in the 7th 1 undrafted.

I look at that and see GMs investing in rounds 1-3 for QBs.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 07-17-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Old 07-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #239
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote