The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Why old school shaving is better.

Here's an off-season mode topic if there ever was one.

After getting tired of dumping $25 into Mach 3 razors over and over I started getting pissed at throwing expensive razors away and suspicious at why something that lasts maybe two weeks costs so much.

I started to develop conspiracy theories about shaving. I noticed that all the multple blades just created little spaces for crap to collect and that the saving cream left a residue that got more and more difficult to remove. I also noticed that when I used shaving cream the razors dulled faster than when I used soap. I then realized that razor companies probably did this intentionally to sell more razors.

Fed up, I decided to look at other options. That's when I found this arcticle on one of the "internets."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/

The article explains the history of shaving and why the current trend and technology is designed to use up razors and not necessarily create the best shave. So I used some of my Christmas money to buy the following items.

I started with a real badger haired shaving brush.
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...30/2184118.htm

Then I purchased some glycerine based shaving soap and an old school mug. (I got a blue one since that was the only one offered in Bronco Colors. )
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...960/198657.htm
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...952/203624.htm

The new razor I had pruchased was still on it's way when I got these things so I decided to start using them with my Mach 3 in the mean time. Just using those three items was a different experience entirely. I found that the soap felt great and left nice smell on my skin. The blade would glide easily across my face and didn't leave the residue that the normal shaving foams and gels did. The brush and mug, when used correctly, creates a hot lather that warms and softens the bristles. This makes them easier to cut and allows them a little bit of give. The result is a smoother, closer shave.

Finally my razor arrived. http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...941/190429.htm
I immediately liked it. It's made of a high grade German steel that I can tell will last 100 years. It's surprisingly simple. Just a double edged single razor. No pivoting head, no fancy screens, no aloe strip.

Using it was a little weird. You have to use short quick strokes either with the grain or directly against it. Getting around the tough areas (chin, upper lip) can be difficult, but by the second try I had a handle on it. It was actually fun to use, and the shave is much closer than I would have thought. The experience is much better too. The smooth soaps and, the nice smell, and the slick feel of the razor is awesome. I actually enjoy shaving now. The number of in-grown hairs is reduced and my face is much silkier than I ever achieved with a muli-blade razor.

So gentlemen, there are some alternatives out there for you. I thought I would share some of the things I had found recently that make the experience better overall.

Here is a site that offers some things.
http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html

I didn't get everything from this site, though. I had to shop around for some of the things, but they give you a good set of what options are out there. I ended up buy a stand for my brush a little later as well because they are supposed to be stored bristles down if you want 10+ years out of them. I think if anything, you guys trying out the brush and a nice soap will make your overall experience better.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I can make one mach 3 blade last a month. Just have to rinse the hell out of it. Also use shaving gel, not cream. Whatever works.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
yavoon
Ring of Famer

cool
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Yup...It's offseason

But, seriously...keep us updated. Shaving is one of those evils ya just gotta do (unless yer Nails or Jake), and if this make the whole ordeal cheaper while giving a great close shave, I'll hop on board in a Mile High Minute.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
yavoon
Ring of Famer

I'm concerned this isnt hardcore enough. why are they still using safety razors? I'd go w/ the big old barbers knife thing, u can sharpen those!
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

The Straight Razor Shave
Hold the razor securely by placing the pads of your index and second fingers on the shank, your thumb under the shank and against the shoulder, the handle raised vertically between your middle and ring fingers, and your ring and pinky fingers resting inside the crescent-shaped tang.

Using the fingers of your free hand, stretch the skin until it is as taught as possible. Hold the razor at a 30 degree angle to the surface of your skin and shave your first even stroke in the direction of hair growth. Apply lather over the freshly shaven area and shave a second even stroke against the direction of hair growth. Only two strokes are necessary. You can skip the second stroke, if it seems too tricky to attempt.

The "angle of the dangle" is your key to error-free shaving. Fewer than 30 degrees and you'll rip the hair out by its root. More than 30 degrees and you'll very likely slice yourself to ribbons. The only areas for which this rule doesn't apply are the chin and upper lip. For these two trouble spots only, angle the back of the blade a little closer to your skin and proceed with caution.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
fuzzy
Pro Bowler

no mention of which aftershaves to use?
fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
The Straight Razor Shave
Hold the razor securely by placing the pads of your index and second fingers on the shank, your thumb under the shank and against the shoulder, the handle raised vertically between your middle and ring fingers, and your ring and pinky fingers resting inside the crescent-shaped tang.

Using the fingers of your free hand, stretch the skin until it is as taught as possible. Hold the razor at a 30 degree angle to the surface of your skin and shave your first even stroke in the direction of hair growth. Apply lather over the freshly shaven area and shave a second even stroke against the direction of hair growth. Only two strokes are necessary. You can skip the second stroke, if it seems too tricky to attempt.

The "angle of the dangle" is your key to error-free shaving. Fewer than 30 degrees and you'll rip the hair out by its root. More than 30 degrees and you'll very likely slice yourself to ribbons. The only areas for which this rule doesn't apply are the chin and upper lip. For these two trouble spots only, angle the back of the blade a little closer to your skin and proceed with caution.
Where does the nose hair attachment go?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
The "angle of the dangle" is your key to error-free shaving. Fewer than 30 degrees and you'll rip the hair out by its root. More than 30 degrees and you'll very likely slice yourself to ribbons.

Jumping Jehosasomething! I think I'm going to pass...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Wow, I guess I just don't take shaving that seriously...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

A whole package of disposable razors go for $.99 and if I shave everyday they last longer than if you want until the stuble grows.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ
Wow, I guess I just don't take shaving that seriously...
It's not about taking it seriously so to speak, but It's just giving it some thought and looking if something better is out there. The whole process takes a few minutes (about five) longer than what it used to, but it's closer shave, it's way more fun, and my skin is in better condition. Not only that, your razor and the blade will last longer, and the soap products are cheaper and last longer than the gels and foams. If anything it's worth a look.

Quote:
The Straight Razor Shave
Baby steps, Slap, Baby Steps.

Though I would eventually like to try a straight razor shave, but I'll practice on a balloon first.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Default Norelco Cool Skin

youall should try one of these .... i hated electrics all my life and used a mach 3 most of the time .... But im the type that shaves at 8am and has 5 oclock shadows by noon and was about sick of the cracy blade cost and sometimes it would take 2 or more blades a shave if i had to shave a thick week long lazy growth ... the cool skins RULE tho ... can submerge them , use your gel or what they suggest . i get really bad razor burn from most razors this seems to not do it as bad if im careful ... for 70 $ its KILLER ... only downside ... DONT LET your girlfriend try it out cuz youll fight over it ... its that damn good ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
Jumping Jehosasomething! I think I'm going to pass...
Exactly. I'll stick to my overpriced razors.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
Dukes
Ring of Famer

This is all pretty interesting to me. I too am sick of buying mach 3's. I only used shaving gels when I first started shaving, but I found they make my face break out pretty badly so I just use soap instead. Great info though Kaylore, now you've got me wanting to go old school
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #16
Moon§hiner
Skipper of the Minnow

Lightning in a Bottle

I did the shaving cream stuff for twenty years... I'm electric all the way now and would never go back....Braun has a 370 model that runs on AA batts. and sells for around 15 bucks and it's cheaper to buy a new one than buy a new foil and blade... No cuts and ingrown hairs thank you. Plus I can surf, while I shave.
Moon§hiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #17
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Shaving with a straight razor? The only problem is the time to keep it sharp. Imagine you are in a rush with that thing? It's a great shave to be sure but in our modern day rush around world I cannot imagine it making a rebound.

I'm pretty sick of my Mach 3 as well. Hmmm.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #18
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Keep buying mach 3 & mach 3 turbo. They're the best razors on the planet! You just can't beat them. They are the best bang for your buck.

On a side note, I own a ****load of their shares(PG).
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #19
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Kaylore, if your happy iam happy on a side note my family bought a cabin up in steamboat about 30 years ago it was a old bunkhouse for gold miners but when we got it had a bunch old old stuff in it. One of those items was one of those razors you now have kaylore it's really old school and pretty old, but anyways i have used it a few times when iam up there and it is an art to master but works pretty good but will **** you up if your not paying attention. lol
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #20
dnvrbrncos

Thanks Kaylore. I only recently discovered how much more comfortable shaving in the shower is. This sounds even better. I'll be trying it.
dnvrbrncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #21
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

I use a mach 3 with nivea shaving gel/after shave. The blades lost about a week or two (I am Irish/Italian so I can grow a full bread in about 3 days) and that works great. I would like to try the straigh razor but am afraid of the carnage I could create....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:15 PM   #22
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

My Festus/Jake beard got beaten down on the Monday after the catasrophe. Took me damn an hour. I was lookin' skid row. I didn't look like Jesus, more like Festus. But Festus was a good man too. He was kinda like Pubes with Shanny come to think of it. When Matt was out of town Festus would hold down the town. I still laugh about Matt's and Kitty's friendship upstairs...

Those are good shows. Mind wandering...must refocus...this is offeseason...mind wanders more...Bonanza was idiotic but amusing as well...Remember Mannix? Heh...He was pretty crafty too...I haven't had a Mannix sighing in years. OK, my alzhiemers is briefly gone...

I just use the Bic for sensitive skin...my problem as allready posted is clogging...it seems like multi blades are not only rediculously expensive, they just clog even worse. Single blade Sensitive Skin razors are my choice, and I usually only use them twice. I had a bush! It was my lucky charm for Jake and he lays an egg.

I was starting to get money out of the liquor store change bucket. I could make it as a full time bum...in fact...I kinda did once...living at the lake or the coal box car in Durango with a true bum. I just wanted the exerience of being a bum for some reason.

Last edited by watermock; 01-28-2006 at 05:20 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #23
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Disposable razors with shaving cream work just fine for me. If you rinse out the hair, they last even longer.
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #24
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I used to use razors then I switched to electric shavers. This bothered my skin at first but after a week or two they no longer bothered me and the shave was really close.

However, I was at a friend's house and he had a Mach 3 razor that vibrates. I used it at his house and I was sold. I went out and bought one the next day for 20 bucks, and a pack of 5 razors for 20 bucks too.

That was 8 months ago and Im on my second razor. There is no slamming the razor against the sink to clear out the stubble, the subtle vibration knocks it out all immediately. The Gilette gel shave cream I use is perfect when put on a light coat and as with any type of shaving, a warm face and warm facial haris is best to cut. Generally if I dont shave right when I get out of the shower, I will use a hot towel and wrap it around my face and neck before I shave., Usually a minute or two is sufficient to soften the hair.

Further, this 3 pronged vibrating razor has not cut me one time in my 6 months of using it. I am plenty happy with the end results.

*Razor time length may vary. I shave on average once every 4 days because Im lazy.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:46 PM   #25
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

I bought a Gillette Sensor 3 on the advice of a friend and cut the **** out of myself 3 times in one week. Then I switched to Shick Extreme 3 disposables with an aloe strip and haven't had any problems.

The old school shaving intrigues me, though.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote