The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default Racism

The wife and I just went and watched Crash. It was an excellent movie, although depressing, and I would recommend it.

However, on the way home we had a discussion. Is the racism depicted in the movie a good representation of real life? For those that didn't see the movie, how prevelent and and to what degree is racism in America?

Fortunately, I have never seen the extent of racism that was shown in the movie. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Mods, if this gets ugly or whatever please move it. But being the offseason and things are slow I figured what the hell.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2005, 01:08 AM   #2
ClevelandBronco2
Pro Bowler

There are folks in this country who would consider me to be a race traitor. I married a Hispanic woman from Mexico, but here in the U.S., I'm called white.

On the other hand, there was a powerful empire in Europe 60 years ago that might have sent me to my death because, as a Slovene, I just wouldn't have been quite white enough.

My kids are mudbloods (it's a Harry Potter term for wizards that derive from muggle, or non-magic parents).

My ancestors on my mother's side fought valiantly in the War Between the States. BTW, it wasn't the Civil War. The Yankees got it wrong. Guess which side my family was on. My ancestors were too poor to own anyone, but I guess that didn't matter. It was the principle that one person ought to be able to own another that they fought for. (I'm guessing that they weren't very well educated, but that's just speculation on my part.)

My grandmother -- we're back on the Slovene immigrant side now (sorry if you can't keep up) was featured in a man/woman-on-the-street interview during the Hough riots in Cleveland, with her mug shot, no less, saying, "(Totally unacceptable N-word)s no good."

I've heard people in my church declare their scorn for other types of Christians. Catholics this, Baptists that. I left the religion that baptised me rather than put up with that garbage.

I have two aunts who've been forbidden by their churches to eat with each other. Mind you, they're still members of the same religious sect. It's just that one chose to change her church. She changed buildings, not sects, nothing more. Now they are allowed to talk but they can't eat together. Look, you tell me about that one.

Racism (and sexism, sectism, whatever-else-ism) has been, is, and always will be real. Not just here, but everywhere. IMHO, some folks need to be angry at other folks.

I'm at an advantaged position as a European-American (because my grandparents were smart enough to leave Europe before the Nazis would have executed them) and my kids look every bit the part as well, even though they're more Hispanic than anything else.

Problem is: I don't care about any of this. I'd never make a decision on a friend, an employee or a wife based on ethnic information. Look, if you have a problem with the woman I married then you have the problem, not me.

-----

Remember that line in Warren Beatty's "Bullworth?" Something like: "We all got to keep ******* each other until we're all one color.

-----

I haven't seen the movie, but racism sets me off. I grew up in a racially charged city. My father was the only man in his family who wouldn't tolerate racism while every one of the cousins in my generation (37 of them) were immersed in it. Thanks to my old man, I just never caught the racism disease.

Last edited by ClevelandBronco2; 06-03-2005 at 01:12 AM..
ClevelandBronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

I haven't seen the movie so I don't know what your talking about.

Personally I think everyone is way too touchy on the subject these days. The days of Archie Bunker, The Jeffersons and Sanford and Son are over and that is too bad. If we can't laugh at each other and our own insecurities I believe society as a whole loses.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:24 AM   #4
ClevelandBronco2
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco2
...racism sets me off. I grew up in a racially charged city. My father was the only man in his family who wouldn't tolerate racism while every one of the cousins in my generation (37 of them) were immersed in it. Thanks to my old man, I just never caught the racism disease.
I should correct myself. Two of the 37 first cousins were half Italian because my aunt married an Italian man. You wouldn't believe how poorly their father was treated by my other uncles and aunts. But sure, let's get real. How can an Italian hope to stand up to the ideals of a family of Slovenes?

Can it get more idiotic than that?

Don't even say it. Yes, I know it can.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:16 AM   #5
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

the only way racism goes away is if no one cares if another person is racist. Its kinda like if someone is trying to annoy you, you just have to ignore them for them to go away. but the problem is everyone always holds a grudge and they wont just let it go. im talking about anyone and everyone. It seems like racist white people are pissed because the advantages minorities are given. And it seems like racist minorities are pissed at the advantages white people have. I dont see why its so hard to exept that almost everyone is given a chance to succeed. Thats whats great about america you can go from nothing to everything with hard work. Its all on the person to take the advantages they have and use them and not be jelous because someone else has different ones than you and you want theirs.Really with me and my freinds(of all races) we think of racism as a joke and tell racist jokes to each other all the time cause we dont care whats said. I think eventualy racism will wear away as the generations that experienced it eventualy die out( not meaning to offend anyone)

This is just the oppinion of a 17 year old so take it however you want
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:40 AM   #6
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBronco#76
the only way racism goes away is if no one cares if another person is racist. Its kinda like if someone is trying to annoy you, you just have to ignore them for them to go away. but the problem is everyone always holds a grudge and they wont just let it go. im talking about anyone and everyone. It seems like racist white people are pissed because the advantages minorities are given. And it seems like racist minorities are pissed at the advantages white people have. I dont see why its so hard to exept that almost everyone is given a chance to succeed. Thats whats great about america you can go from nothing to everything with hard work. Its all on the person to take the advantages they have and use them and not be jelous because someone else has different ones than you and you want theirs.Really with me and my freinds(of all races) we think of racism as a joke and tell racist jokes to each other all the time cause we dont care whats said. I think eventualy racism will wear away as the generations that experienced it eventualy die out( not meaning to offend anyone)

Totally agree.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:04 AM   #7
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth
Default The real questions are often never easy to find

I was reading one of Michael Crichton's speechs. He likes to deliver these talks to gauge people's reactions to his material and see where he's on or off. It's very interesting stuff if you get the chance I highly reccommend it. His central theme has been and remains the rule of science.

I love science because of it's objectivity but our modern thinking is so clouded with negativity that we would find a way to pollute science just like the Nazi did. Bad reasoning leads to bad results. Environmentalism is good but since it has become politicized it is now bad.

One of the things he discussed is the myth of paradise. He talks about nature and how little we understand it. He proves that farmers are smart and most folks...city folks...have the wrong idea about life. There is no race, culture or group of people who have not committed murder, rape or some destructive human behavior. We are all sinners in this world.

Racism was a term used to describe the dominant cultures negative effect on other cultures. Reverse racism was a legal term invented to counter this claim. Now ALL racism has come under the new definition of racism. This is interesting to note because that means any discussion about racism is already tainted. There is NO discussion of racism in reality just corrections and adjustments to maintain whatever the dominant group wants.

I'm not anticipating anyone being enlightened by a thing that I say but my hope is while the dogs are yapping around the tree at this one pitiful little cat that they would realize they have no idea what the cats point of view is and to ask a dog what a cat thinks really is kind of funny if you think about it.

I know. Nobody likes cats. Whatcha gonna do?

Within any important issue, there are always aspects no one wishes to discuss. --George Orwell--

*SPEECHS: 1.Why speculate? A speech to the International Leadership Forum. 2.The Greatest Challenge facing mankind:Remarks to the commonwealth club of San Francisco. 3.Aliens cause Global Warming: The 2003 Michelin Lecture at the California Institute of Technology.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:36 AM   #8
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

As usual, tigger nails it.

I must have the crown on this thing, for no real reason.

I broke some bone or ligament in my good foot. How, I have no clue. I'm officially a cripple.

I like women of color, they just need to get that brillo pad under control.

I don't care what color you are, but I will tell you this, I hate Islamo-fascists.

Last year I paid thousands to have new curb, gutter and pavement in front of the house.

Mediacom just tore up the entire street putting in underground cable.

Go figure.

Last edited by watermock; 06-03-2005 at 06:39 AM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:37 AM   #9
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiettiger
I know. Nobody likes cats. Whatcha gonna do?
Don't get mock started.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:40 AM   #10
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

My cat is a racist, he hates the Rottie down the street.

God he loves to tease that dog. If that dog ever gets ahold of him again, he's going to rip him apart. He's allready had one go around, I don't know if you remember, but I said Beezlebub was ambulatory.

He's fine, but what am I going to do.

I will just go out to the cat farm and get another. I'm rather attached to this one, but he's expendable. He's stone cold crazy.

I wouldn't mind having a dog, but I don't have a kid to yell at right now, to yell at the dog. The whole thing is absurd. A monkey would be amusing, for about two weeks.

Cat's are very low maintainance. Just have to keep the litter box to regulation, and your all set. hell, I don't even do more than pop off the lid of their tuna cans. They have tounges.

Poopy the hisser is about 115 in human years, and ornery as Grampa Simpson.

Last edited by watermock; 06-03-2005 at 06:50 AM..
Old 06-03-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Yes there is still some racism in the US but it is nothing like it was 40+ years ago when I was one of the first northern white kids to be bussed to an all black Jr. High two blocks from where Malcolm X grew up. I never had a problem based on race while I was there. Folk who make racism a huge issue today don't remember or did not experience those days.

I try very hard not to group people but to look at the individual. Most people forget the most important phrase of Martin Luther King's speech - "I have a dream that there will be a time when people are not judged by the color of their skin, BUT BY THE CONTENT OF THEIR CHARACTER." I try very hard to make my judgements of people based on their character. My wife makes a big deal about small pieces of her heritage, but I tell our kids that we are mutts just like most everyone else in the world. It's time we got past the hate based on non consequental things like skin color.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:57 AM   #12
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I have no time for Racemen......I have to deal with enough weak minded people as it is.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #13
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

It depends...I am white and married an Indian women. Sometimes we get weird looks but not often. I think most times it depends on the area. The bigger the city, the more accepting it is....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #14
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle
It depends...I am white and married an Indian women. Sometimes we get weird looks but not often. I think most times it depends on the area. The bigger the city, the more accepting it is....
I went out with an Sioux Indian girl in college she was cute at the time she went back to the reservation to be a nurse. I saw her a couple of years ago and she hit the wall.... oh well, nice girl.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #15
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas
I went out with an Sioux Indian girl in college she was cute at the time she went back to the reservation to be a nurse. I saw her a couple of years ago and she hit the wall.... oh well, nice girl.

...Nis h i t a(I can't even spell her name right here....)is an India Indian.....hitting the wall is never good....look at Betty White...
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #16
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas
I haven't seen the movie so I don't know what your talking about.

Personally I think everyone is way too touchy on the subject these days. The days of Archie Bunker, The Jeffersons and Sanford and Son are over and that is too bad. If we can't laugh at each other and our own insecurities I believe society as a whole loses.
this is my take too.

Tell me this is not true. People in general conversation talk one way but in smaller groups probe for true feelings about race and if certain signals are returned the conversation turns racist real fast and continues with great gusto. As a white guy I have stood by and watched this many a time and if I say something in defense of the race of people being talked about the conversation sharply reverts back to the two faced politically correct crap that is the current soup de jour.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:49 AM   #17
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBronco#76
the only way racism goes away is if no one cares if another person is racist. Its kinda like if someone is trying to annoy you, you just have to ignore them for them to go away. but the problem is everyone always holds a grudge and they wont just let it go. im talking about anyone and everyone. It seems like racist white people are pissed because the advantages minorities are given. And it seems like racist minorities are pissed at the advantages white people have. I dont see why its so hard to exept that almost everyone is given a chance to succeed.

Thats whats great about america you can go from nothing to everything with hard work. Its all on the person to take the advantages they have and use them and not be jelous because someone else has different ones than you and you want theirs.Really with me and my freinds(of all races) we think of racism as a joke and tell racist jokes to each other all the time cause we dont care whats said. I think eventualy racism will wear away as the generations that experienced it eventualy die out( not meaning to offend anyone)

It helps if you have big boobies
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #18
Jori
US Olympian

I saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and I found it fascinating. I think the overall theme of the movie was about how we form opinions about different races or groups based on stereotypes.

My father is black and my mother is a white French Canadian. I remember my dad saying the one comment he and my mom got was that he was marrying the devil. Me personally, I've been called zebra and oreo (by other blacks not whites). I've had people tell me I didn't know who I am because I am of mixed race. I had some bad times as a teenager, but I've learned that some people are just idiots. I'm proud of my mixed heritage (which is also Cherokee on my father's side).

I get a good laugh out of folks who try to figure out what race I am, some think I'm Hispanic, Asian....and some dude thought I was from Morocco
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #19
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Anyone ever hear Carlos Mencia's take on racism and political correctness? Funny stuff but sooooo very true. It's on his "Take a joke, America" CD or DVD. Basically says that same thing as some here. People take **** too seriously and need to lighten up and learn to laugh at others and to be laughed at yourself when you do something stupid.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:28 PM   #20
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel

Never saw Crash, but I lvoe the movies American History X.

I have no time for racism, any of my friends that want to tell black jokes and drop th N word along with other derogatory words I immediately get on(which usually causes them to act lik immature ****s by saying it over and over again.)

I am used to being around a racist kind of atmosphere, the town I grew up in is a very small community and during my 4 years of highschool, we maybe had 5 black people attend our school, the rest were all white. It just led to a lot of closeminded and outsider views of what other races were like, hearing the stories and listening to jokes basically formed a lot of people's opinions of other races.

I'm now 4 years removed from highschool and don't see a lot of my classmates, but I hope that since they've all graduated that they have matured enough and met enough non-white people in this wordl to form a different view of what they are about instead of a sterotype on all as they lump each of them all together.
FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #21
Alkazar
NPN Mascott

Bronco's Thunder

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steph Alexander

Quote:
My ancestors on my mother's side fought valiantly in the War Between the States. BTW, it wasn't the Civil War. The Yankees got it wrong. Guess which side my family was on. My ancestors were too poor to own anyone, but I guess that didn't matter. It was the principle that one person ought to be able to own another that they fought for. (I'm guessing that they weren't very well educated, but that's just speculation on my part.)

Just wanted to comment on this part. In reality, the South fought for the individual states right to choose for themselves, NOT FOR SLAVERY! This is a common misperception.
Alkazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #22
ClevelandBronco2
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkazar
Just wanted to comment on this part. In reality, the South fought for the individual states right to choose for themselves, NOT FOR SLAVERY! This is a common misperception.
Don't even bother, dude. That crappy old canard was nothing but a cover for the immoral support of slavery.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:01 PM   #23
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
I get a good laugh out of folks who try to figure out what race I am, some think I'm Hispanic, Asian....and some dude thought I was from Morocco
Before MLKJ had his head blown off, he said a few cool things.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:33 PM   #24
labronx
Remember 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock
Before MLKJ had his head blown off, he said a few cool things.
you see, there you go again
labronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:46 PM   #25
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Quote:
Don't even bother, dude. That crappy old canard was nothing but a cover for the immoral support of slavery.
People in the North thought very little about black people the same way that people in the South did. However, the way of life in the South was more DEPENDENT on slavery. They were fighting for their way of life and their right to continue with their way of life. It was much more complicated than the slavery issue.
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote