The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #151
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmchen

Yes, so true. Thinking about that.. is there any case where the movie is better than the book?
Honestly? Not that I've ever found. They always leave something out that I think is important to the whole thing, or worse yet, they add their own creative touch to it. And as a person who has read the book and then seen the movie, you are sitting there thinking, "where the hell did that come from?"

I hate that!!
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:16 PM   #152
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Yes, so true. Thinking about that.. is there any case where the movie is better than the book? For me the closest thing to that would be American Psycho, I just love how Christian Bale plays Pat Bateman. But I guess most fans of the book will strongly disagree with me liking the movie better than the novel.
"The Shawshank Redemption!" Based on "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption," a novella by Stephen King. The original is very dry reading (almost textbook reading) and is the only thing Steven King has written that I haven't read more than once. The movie stayed true to the original story and was great.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #153
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Ok. I got the Narnia books on Saturday. Her it is Monday and I'll be finishing "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (second book) tonight. These books are every bit as good as I remember. If you've never read them, do. Even if you think you won't like them 'cause they're "kids books," check them out anyway. They are great stories! They definately rate five stars!

Ben
Old 02-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #154
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Now I definitely have to go out and get them again.

I've started Frankenstein by Koontz and it looks like it's going to be a great one. Like his old school books.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:29 AM   #155
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I just finished The Magician's Nephew. I'm not sure yet how much I really like it. But I like it enough to go ahead with the other books/parts of the Chronicles of Narnia. I just don't really like the name of the lion Aslan, always reminds me of a very unpleasent person I know who goes by the same name

i can see how that would do it for you.

I like those books, it seems it's that i understand it more now, than when i was a kid. Or at least i pick up on the allegorical stuff more.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:32 AM   #156
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Also for you CS lewis fans. Check out his other works. I got the screwtape letters - at first i wasn't sure if i'd dig it - due to the over-all theme - but afterwords - i found it to be really good.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:54 PM   #157
No1BroncoFan
Old School

The Chronicles of Narnia are coming to the movies.
http://www.narnia.com/movie/index.htm
I don't know whether to be gladdened or saddened. Disney is involved, which could mean a sacrifice of story for marketability. Curse Walt's decendants and the scum who have bought them out!

Walden Media started it out and Disney became a partner later, so maybe there's hope, but except for the Pixar films (which Disney has no creative control over), Disney films aren't worth a d*mn any more! Hopefully, Walden Media will keep the Disney people away from the creative end of things.

This could be a better set of films than "The Lord of the Rings" or it could be worse than "The Black Cauldron."

Ben
Old 02-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #158
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Great. I hope they don't ruin it.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #159
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan
The Chronicles of Narnia are coming to the movies.
http://www.narnia.com/movie/index.htm
I don't know whether to be gladdened or saddened. Disney is involved, which could mean a sacrifice of story for marketability. Curse Walt's decendants and the scum who have bought them out!

Walden Media started it out and Disney became a partner later, so maybe there's hope, but except for the Pixar films (which Disney has no creative control over), Disney films aren't worth a d*mn any more! Hopefully, Walden Media will keep the Disney people away from the creative end of things.

This could be a better set of films than "The Lord of the Rings" or it could be worse than "The Black Cauldron."

Ben
this can't be good

no sir, not at all, I loved those books when I was in elementary school
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #160
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Shack
this can't be good

no sir, not at all, I loved those books when I was in elementary school
Shack,
Read them again! They've lost none of their charm! I almost done with "Price Caspian" (fourth book) and it's only been since Saturday thay I got them from the library (today's Wed.). I simply haven't been able to put them down!.

Good news about the films, the same people who did all the effects work for LOTR are doing the effects for this one. It's got the director from "Shrek" so, hopefully, he'll be able to make them appeal to a wide range of audience ages while keeping true to the story. Disney has no creative control, so we won't see them watering it down for marketability (although, we'll probably be bombarded with Aslan dolls).

They appear to be planning all seven movies and are releasing them in order of original publication and not, as the later series have been published, in Narnia's chronological order.

I haven't got a firm release date yet, but I've heard it will be late this year. According to this site it will be later this year.

The bad news is, it'll be going up against "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" and the established fan base Harry Potter has. Hopefully, there's enough of us who read and loved these books as kids that will take our kids (or maybe just go to see them ourselves) that Harry won't kill the Narnia series before it really gets a chance to get started properly. Not that I don't want Harry Potter to do well. After all, I can't get enough of those either! Guess I'm just a big kid at heart.

Ben
Old 02-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #161
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

This week's reading:

"Demian" by Hermann Hesse

The Upanishads
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #162
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Finished Game of Thrones, and now I'm about 100 pages into part II, A Clash of Kings. I am totally hooked. This is, by far, the best fantasy epic I've read since Lord of the Rings.

Also reminds me of an old board game we used to play around my house called "Kingmaker." Kind of like Risk, except you get to grab heirs to the throne and execute them for strategic advantage.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #163
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Sweet...executions.

I need to learn that game.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #164
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

All the Koontz fans should definitely pick up Frankenstein. It's great, IMO. Classic Koontz. The only bad thing about is that it's the first book, and it leaves you hanging waiting for the second one.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:43 AM   #165
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Ok, I finished both the Cronicles of Narnia and the Chronicles fo Prydain in just two weeks. What a great bunch of books. It's funny, the ones from the series that I liked least as a kid are my favorites now. I guess you have to have some perspective even to enjoy kids' books to their fullest. I think I'll have to re-read "Stuart Little" for my next venture into kids' lit.

Right now I'm reading "Survival" (first book of the Species Imperative series) by Julie E. Czerneda. Next up is "A Game of Thrones" on recommendation from the folks here.

Ben
Old 03-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #166
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan
... Next up is "A Game of Thrones" on recommendation from the folks here.

Ben
I'm halfway into the third book now (A Storm of Swords) and the series is still rocking, but since there's been so much discussion about Narnia, I should probably emphasize that the Game of Thrones series is in no way shape or form suitable for kids. Lots of sex, lots of depravity, lots of very graphic violence. Great stuff, though.

A good spoiler-free summary of what I just said:

http://www.proudestmonkeys.com/books/gameofthrones.html

Last edited by Old Dude; 03-01-2005 at 11:43 AM..
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #167
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal
If you are looking for a historical fiction book I would recommend The Shogun. I haven't read the rest of the series, but that was good book. I see Lord Helmchen also recommended it.

As soon as I finish this law school class (product liability...very interesting) I plan on reading the books Rohirrim mentioned: "Gates of Fire" about the Spartans getting wiped out at Thermopylae, and the other was "Tides of War" about the Pelopennesian War (Athenians vs. Spartans). And then Chronicles of Narnia...never read them.
Got Gates of Fire Friday night and finished reading it Sunday afternoon. Talk about a great book. The description of the battle was just awesome...palming the pine...wow.

That was a great book I'd recommend it easily. Think I'll go buy Tides of War and see how it is as well.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #168
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude
Finished Game of Thrones, and now I'm about 100 pages into part II, A Clash of Kings. I am totally hooked. This is, by far, the best fantasy epic I've read since Lord of the Rings.

Also reminds me of an old board game we used to play around my house called "Kingmaker." Kind of like Risk, except you get to grab heirs to the throne and execute them for strategic advantage.
Ok, I'm reading the second book of this series now (about half-way through) and I have to ask, what's the big deal? I'm sure I'll finish the series, but I can't see myself spending the cash to own these books. I'd have to rate them about half way between "not bad" and "pretty good." The dwarf is a kick in the a$$ though. By far the best character in the entire book.

Now, I just need to figure out how to return that pesky Corvallis, Or. library book. Hmmmmmm.....

Ben
Old 04-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #169
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

just finished "A Scanner Darkly"....not bad.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #170
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle
just finished "A Scanner Darkly"....not bad.
I heard they were making a movie based off that. Going to be animated and feature the voice of Keanu Reeves. Looks interesting. I might have to check out the book first.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #171
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A
I heard they were making a movie based off that. Going to be animated and feature the voice of Keanu Reeves. Looks interesting. I might have to check out the book first.

the movie will be out next year. Actually they shot the movie using some type of film and then animated the film...
Old 04-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #172
TD30
Big Bad Wolf

OK Guys this may sound like a very stupid question and I may get some of the facts wrong. But I am looking for the title of a book my English teacher in college told me about, mind you that was several years ago. The book is basically about a spy in the wwII era that is either a werewolf or fights against a werewolf or something. That may be competely wrong but it involves the war and a wolf, lol. He told me about and said it was an incredible book. Problem is I forgot about and never thougt about it again until I read this thread. Sorry for the vague description.
TD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #173
TD30
Big Bad Wolf

Nevermind I found it by doing the classic google search. The book is The Wolf's Hour written by Robert R. McCammon, I just picked it up at Barnes & Nobels. I'll let you know how it is.
TD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #174
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD30
Nevermind I found it by doing the classic google search. The book is The Wolf's Hour written by Robert R. McCammon, I just picked it up at Barnes & Nobels. I'll let you know how it is.

I will have to check that out...thanks.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:24 PM   #175
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD30
Damn, I wish I had checked this sooner. I could have helped you out with that one, TD. I thought that was a great book. Generally anything Nazi related interests me, but not so much sci fi stuff of that nature. I was very skeptical when the werewolf stuff came up, but pleasantly surprised. I just re-read that book not too long ago and it was still as good as I remembered. Very graphic.

Let me know what you think of it, TD.

It got a in my book.