The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #126
clintonwho
Just Drafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajikMan7
which one are you marykate or ashley?
Mary kate
clintonwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:01 PM   #127
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonwho
Mary kate

Whats the shoot selling? toothpicks?
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #128
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin.

This was on the NY Times best-seller list for a long time, but I put off reading it because I sort of burned out on romantic fantasy and swords & sorcery and all that stuff a long time ago.

But I'm about 200 pages into this one and I can't put it down. This is like romantic fantasy where things went wrong. Very wrong. It's like someone took the war of the roses (the York & Lancaster one - - not the Douglas & Turner movie) and stuck it in the middle of a Mercedes Lackey novel about talking cats and psychic princesses.

Brutal I tell you. And facinating.

And several more books to go in the epic.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:30 PM   #129
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Just finished "My Life" by Bill Clinton a couple weeks ago.

Daaaaamn, that was a long book!

Now reading "The Harvard Medical School's Guide to Men's Health" (fun, eh?)

Anyway, the book contains a lot of useful info on nutrition, exercise, preventing illness, etc.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #130
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude
A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin
dude, this book and the rest of the series is totally badass. easily the best fantasy i've read in a long while and a great refreshment from jordan's wheel of time (which just drags on and on). i can't wait for the next book to come out. who's your favorite character so far?
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:36 AM   #131
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

"Dragon Tears" by Dean Koontz - Good book, but the suspension of disbelief became a bit overwhelming at points. Still worth a read though.

"Vigilant" by James Alan Gardner - Very good. I've read about half of this guy's work so far and haven't found a bad book yet.

Currently reading "An Alien Light" by Nancy Kress. Very interesting so far. After the first few pages I didn't think I'd finish it. One day later I'm half way done.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #132
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca
dude, this book and the rest of the series is totally badass. easily the best fantasy i've read in a long while and a great refreshment from jordan's wheel of time (which just drags on and on). i can't wait for the next book to come out. who's your favorite character so far?
Jon the bastard son and Tyrion the dwarf.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #133
LordHelmchen
Single-Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim
I just read two great books by the same guy: Steven Pressfield. One is called "Gates of Fire" about the Spartans getting wiped out at Thermopylae, and the other was "Tides of War" about the Pelopennesian War (Athenians vs. Spartans). It's historical fiction. This writer really makes the ancient world come alive. The battle scenes are amazing.
Indeed they are. I was interested in Sparta since I learned to read. And this book really made it all so alive. It's been a while since I read Gates of Fire but I can remember vividly how the shivers ran down my spine when the Spartans performed the "palming the pine" maneuver at the start of the battle vs. the Antirthionians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan
Ames got it. Douglas Adams. He wrote "The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" and two or three sequels.

Ben
All in all there are five books in that series.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe and Everything
So long, and thanks for all the Fish
Mostly Harmless

The later ones are not as good but still a good read. I read the whole cycle about once per year, usually in the sub on the way to work. I get strange looks when I suddenly burst into laughter and can't stop it. There is actually an old TV series produced by the BBC , and it's so trashy that it's cult!
Also, some of you geeks might remember the legendary text adventure by Infocom.
Other good books by Adams (R.I.P.) include The deeper meaning of Liff (no typo) and Last Chance to see (which is a more serious book about endangered species).

Also always good for some real funny entertainment is the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. The PC and PS game with the voices of Monty Python is also pretty funny.

Other books I really like:

Donna Gillespie - The Light Bearer
Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon
Sun Tsu - The Art of War
James Clavell - Shogun
J.H. Patterson - The Man-Eaters of Tsavo
Gary Jennings - Aztec
Henri Sanson - The Executioners of Paris (written by the last "active member" of the Sanson executioner dynasty)
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - Faust
Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
Tolkien - The Silmarillion
Tolkien - Unfinished Tales

And in general I'm always looking for good historic fiction and non-fiction. If anyone knows good books about history, please let me know. thx!
LordHelmchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #134
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

are any of you guys cs lewis fans?
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #135
LordHelmchen
Single-Malt

I just finished The Magician's Nephew. I'm not sure yet how much I really like it. But I like it enough to go ahead with the other books/parts of the Chronicles of Narnia. I just don't really like the name of the lion Aslan, always reminds me of a very unpleasent person I know who goes by the same name
Old 02-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #136
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude
Jon the bastard son and Tyrion the dwarf.
hell yeah, jon snow is probably my favorite. tyrion's interesting too, i always liked the chapters from his point of view. the one scene at the beginning where jon and tyrion meet outside the banquet dinner is one of my favorites.
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:57 PM   #137
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
"Dragon Tears" by Dean Koontz - Good book, but the suspension of disbelief became a bit overwhelming at points. Still worth a read though.

"Vigilant" by James Alan Gardner - Very good. I've read about half of this guy's work so far and haven't found a bad book yet.

Currently reading "An Alien Light" by Nancy Kress. Very interesting so far. After the first few pages I didn't think I'd finish it. One day later I'm half way done.

Ben

Dragon Tears is my favorite Koontz book. It's an odd one, I know. I just picked up a new Koontz book that is the first part of a series, I guess. It's called Frankenstein and it looks great. Like the old Koontz books. I haven't gotten to it yet, but my mom said it was great.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #138
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmchen
I just finished The Magician's Nephew. I'm not sure yet how much I really like it. But I like it enough to go ahead with the other books/parts of the Chronicles of Narnia. I just don't really like the name of the lion Aslan, always reminds me of a very unpleasent person I know who goes by the same name
Wow! You're just now reading the Chronicles of Narnia? I thought everyone had read those when they were a kid. They are great books. I've loved them since I was a child. Matter of fact, I am going to have to go find them and read them again. It's been awhile.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #139
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn®
Wow! You're just now reading the Chronicles of Narnia? I thought everyone had read those when they were a kid. They are great books. I've loved them since I was a child. Matter of fact, I am going to have to go find them and read them again. It's been awhile.
I may have to also. I haven't read tham since grade school. It would be fun just to see if they are as good as I remember.

Ben
Old 02-11-2005, 07:22 PM   #140
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I may have to also. I haven't read tham since grade school. It would be fun just to see if they are as good as I remember.

Ben
Yeah that was exactly what I was thinking. It's been that long since I read them also.

You're right about that happening though. You ever go back and read a book you thought was just the coolest thing when you were a kid, and realize it totally sucks now? Actually I can't really say that has happened with too many books, more so with movies, I guess.

I used to love the Little House on the Prairie books when I was a kid. I don't know how many times I read them. My daughter brought one home last year from school. I was so tickled that she was reading them, I went through and read them again. They were still as good as I remembered them to be.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #141
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Thinking sbout the Narnia books got me thinking about the Prydain books by Lloyd Alexander (if you saw "The Black Cauldron" from Disney, you saw the absolute worst film adaptation in the history of movie making, but it was, very very loosly based on those books). I had them in paperback when I was a kid and absolutely read them to tatters. They've recently (1999) been re-released in hardback. I'm gonna be spending days on Ebay trying to find them at a reasonable price (always assuming my trip to the library doesn't reveal them as hopelessly juvinile, they are in the juvinile fiction section after all).

Ben
Old 02-11-2005, 07:49 PM   #142
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I have the movie. I didn't realize it was a book adaptation. Maybe I'll have to check that out too.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #143
LordHelmchen
Single-Malt

Quote:
I know no one who ever mentioned them to me , ever. I guess they just aren't really popular here in Germany as child books
The books I remember reading as a kid were Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, The Leatherstocking Tales, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Momo, Neverending Story (GREAT book),lots of books by Astrid Lindgren, stuff by the Grimm brothers at a really young age, and a bit later The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Almost everyone I know read those books as a kid.
But you got me interested, what other books are really popular and "classic" over there as kid's books?

Last edited by LordHelmchen; 02-11-2005 at 08:13 PM..
Old 02-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #144
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I know no one who ever mentioned them to me , ever. I guess they just aren't really popular here in Germany as child books
The books I remember reading as a kid were Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, stuff by the Grimm brothers at a really young age, and a bit later The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Almost everyone I know read those books as a kid.
But you got me interested, what other books are really popular and "classic" over there as kid's books?
Well I feel stupid now. I didn't realize you were in Germany. I'd definitely say those were classics, and I was going to mention the LOTR but you got those ones too. The few others I can think of right now are ones like "Stuart Little", "Charlotte's Web", "Old Yeller". Maybe No1 can give you a few more ideas.

The Chronicles of Narnia and the LOTR with the Hobbit included of course were some of my absolute favorites.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:25 PM   #145
LordHelmchen
Single-Malt

Quote:
Well I feel stupid now. I didn't realize you were in Germany. I'd definitely say those were classics, and I was going to mention the LOTR but you got those ones too. The few others I can think of right now are ones like "Stuart Little", "Charlotte's Web", "Old Yeller". Maybe No1 can give you a few more ideas.

The Chronicles of Narnia and the LOTR with the Hobbit included of course were some of my absolute favorites.
No need to feel stupid, I never wrote that I'm from Germany I guess. At least not in the last year or so I didn't realize that Stuart Little was also a book adaption, just saw the movie. It's a bit like The Thumbling by the Grimm brothers. I will look into those books you mentioned. Maybe I missed some real gems
Old 02-12-2005, 04:21 AM   #146
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
No need to feel stupid, I never wrote that I'm from Germany I guess. At least not in the last year or so I didn't realize that Stuart Little was also a book adaption, just saw the movie. It's a bit like The Thumbling by the Grimm brothers. I will look into those books you mentioned. Maybe I missed some real gems
If you read Stuart Little" (a fantastic story) don't expect it to be anything like the movie. They don't share a lot in common except names.

Ben
Old 02-12-2005, 04:00 PM   #147
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
If you read Stuart Little" (a fantastic story) don't expect it to be anything like the movie. They don't share a lot in common except names.

Ben
Agreed! The book ( as is usually the case ) is far better than the movie. It really doesn't resemble it at all.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #148
LordHelmchen
Single-Malt

Quote:

Ben
I just ordered my copy Looking forward to read it.

Quote:
Agreed! The book ( as is usually the case ) is far better than the movie. It really doesn't resemble it at all.
Yes, so true. Thinking about that.. is there any case where the movie is better than the book? For me the closest thing to that would be American Psycho, I just love how Christian Bale plays Pat Bateman. But I guess most fans of the book will strongly disagree with me liking the movie better than the novel.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #149
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

If you are looking for a historical fiction book I would recommend The Shogun. I haven't read the rest of the series, but that was good book. I see Lord Helmchen also recommended it.

As soon as I finish this law school class (product liability...very interesting) I plan on reading the books Rohirrim mentioned: "Gates of Fire" about the Spartans getting wiped out at Thermopylae, and the other was "Tides of War" about the Pelopennesian War (Athenians vs. Spartans). And then Chronicles of Narnia...never read them.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #150
LordHelmchen
Single-Malt

Also very good historical fiction: The Lightbearer by Donna Gillespie. I loved it! It plays in Rome and "Germany" , around the time of Nero.

Salambo by Gustave Flaubert which is about Hamilkar Barkas, the father of Hannibal, and the battles he had to fight at home, after the first punic war.

I remember reading another book about the battle of Thermopylae , it was a really great novel. I was like 12 years old or so, but I can't remember the title or the writer. It's a shame, I would love to read it again.

Also a great read is The Histories by Herodot (still our only source about the battle of Thermopylae) , the father of history.

Ken Follet's On Wings of Eagles, which is non-fiction, is also very gripping. It's about the rescue of EDS employees during the revolution in Iran.