The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #26
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Check this out if your not old enough to have seen the landing live.

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

It gives the MOCR loops (Air to Ground and Flight Director) synced to video and the orientation of the lander as well as pictures of who is talking at the time. It even shows where the guys at the MOCR were sitting!

Great project, wish they would do this for Apollo 13.
Very cool rep
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #27
uplink
Ring of Famer

would not have happened without using the Lunar orbit rendezvous method. Thats the key why the US did it and nobody else could.I always talk this up since it doesn't get the credit it deserves by the historians etc.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #28
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
would not have happened without using the Lunar orbit rendezvous method. Thats the key why the US did it and nobody else could.I always talk this up since it doesn't get the credit it deserves by the historians etc.
It was also the reason the Apollo 13 astronauts survived.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #29
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
How dare you not even mention "Failure is not an Option", I liked Moon Lander, Tracking Apollo to the Moon, Failure gives a well rounded account of how Gene built and managed the project that were (part of ) Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo. The other books cover the systems that got them there and back. Sy Libergot's Apollo EECOM and Gunther Wendt's "The Unbroken Chain" are great behind the desk accounts of actual jobs at both Houston (Sy's EECOM desk) and Kennedy (Gunther).

I am not a fan of Astronaut bio's or accounts but the 2 best are Apollo 13 by Lovell/Kruger and Mike Collin's "Carrying the Fire".

Mike Collins stayed in Columbia during Apollo 11 and he never set foot on the moon but his account was spectacular and a great read. Mike gave the best detail about the training, the preflight/flight experience as well as what it was like to be alone circling the moon for a day wondering if he would ever have to return to the Earth alone, without Neil and Buzz. Very gripping read.

Everyone should read at least one of these books and ask why we have no great goals set for our kids or future generations.
Totally agree about Carrying the Fire by Michael Collins. I have about a dozen astronaut biographies and it is by far the best. It's the only one I would ever recommend to a non-space geek.

Steven, have you read any of the Springer Praxis books? "Exploring the Moon" by David Harland (a very prolific writer on space exploration) is the best I've ever seen regarding the actual surface EVAs and "How Apollo Flew to the Moon" by David Woods is full of great stuff, such as the meaning of all those strings of numbers the ground would read up to the ship. Springer Praxis is a great publisher for space program nerds.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #30
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
Totally agree about Carrying the Fire by Michael Collins. I have about a dozen astronaut biographies and it is by far the best. It's the only one I would ever recommend to a non-space geek.

Steven, have you read any of the Springer Praxis books? "Exploring the Moon" by David Harland (a very prolific writer on space exploration) is the best I've ever seen regarding the actual surface EVAs and "How Apollo Flew to the Moon" by David Woods is full of great stuff, such as the meaning of all those strings of numbers the ground would read up to the ship. Springer Praxis is a great publisher for space program nerds.
I will have to look into Springer Praxis, I like the Apogee books they printed about the guys behind the desks like I said above. Tracking Apollo to the Moon was essenitally made into a movie a few years ago as they went to Austraila and had to make some changes to get signals from Apollo 11.

Totally love Gene's Failure is not an option and even Chris Craft's "Flight"

Lots of good stuff to read out there that wasn't available right away.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote