The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #151
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

So I wonder when Obama and his liberal buddies are gonna demand that Oklahoma changes it's name? The state's name is derived from the Choctaw words okla and humma, meaning "red people".

Also polls show most white people find the name Cracker offensive, so why haven't they attacked Cracker Barrel or Cracker Jacks?

Last edited by errand; 06-22-2014 at 09:33 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #152
bombay
Ring of Famer

I don't mind cracker, but prefer to be called honkey. Or grey boy.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #153
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'm sure somebody mentioned this ... hope so, cause this point should end the debate. They're labeling THEMSELVES Redskins, because fans and players and staff respect and admire the men and their image. Enough to adorn their bodies, homes and cars with expensive "Redskins" clothing and paraphernalia.

ALL mascot/nicknames are chosen because of the nherany for inherent qualities of to represent qualities of strength, excellence, victory. To instill pride and loyalty. That's why you don't see names like Cincinnati Sloths or Pittsburgh Plastics. It's Seahawks, not buzzards ... Bengals not bungholes.

Is there any Native American polling on this issue?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #154
delany
Uber Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
I don't mind cracker, but prefer to be called honkey. Or grey boy.
I am partial to Paleface.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #155
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
So I wonder when Obama and his liberal buddies...
What does Obama have to do with this? Why do some people keep implying that he has something to do with this? Because Rush Limabaugh said so?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #156
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
What does Obama have to do with this? Why do some people keep implying that he has something to do with this? Because Rush Limabaugh said so?
...apparently you don't know who the office of patents and trademarks reports to....
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #157
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
And that's a French arrowhead on their helmet?
lol...

really?

Arrowheads in and of themselves are not a native american invention. Not even close.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #158
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
...apparently you don't know who the office of patents and trademarks reports to....
Quote:
Obama’s comments, plus the letter to team owner Dan Snyder signed by 50 U.S. Democratic senators, did draw politics into the fracas. But did that pressure interfere with an otherwise impartial decision?

"There’s no evidence for that," said Elizabeth Rowe, University of Florida College of Law professor and director of the Program in Intellectual Property Law. "There is no room for that in the way the system is set up."

The office makes hundreds of decisions a year and operates independently of the White House, she said. The decisions are made based on specific rules from Congress and legal interpretations from various courts’ decisions and precedents in intellectual property cases.

And importantly, none of the three judges involved in the ruling were appointed while Obama was in office. All three took their seat during the terms of President George W. Bush.

Judge Karen Kuhlke was appointed May 1, 2005. Judge Peter Cataldo was appointed May 14, 2006. And Judge Marc Bergsman was appointed Nov. 13, 2006.

Bergsman dissented with Kuhlke and Cataldo in this case, arguing the trademark should not be canceled because the plaintiffs failed to show that a "substantial composite" of American Indians find the team’s name offensive and that its evidence was essentially a "database dump" that proved little.

Kuhlke and Cataldo, on the other hand, found the trademarks were disparaging to Native Americans at the time they were registered, and the five people who brought it forth had standing because they were members of Native American tribes.

As we noted earlier, judges in the same administrative court issued the same finding in 1999, before it was overturned on appeal.
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...me-washington/
Old 06-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #159
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:

Executive Branch
-Dept of Commerce
-Office of Patents and Trademarks

The Office of Patents and Trademarks is a sub-department of the Executive Branch. So whether directly or indirectly, this is a decision made by the Executive Branch, which at this time is run by the President, Barak Obama. While I am sure that every decision that is made at the Office of P and TM's does not directly involve the President, this one certainly would and you're fooling yourself if you think he didn't.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #160
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone listen to the Dan Patrick show?

There was an interesting phone call taken recently comparing the "objectification"/ offensiveness of scantily clad cheerleaders to the "Redskins" name issue in which Patrick dismissed rather quickly.

I found it rather amusing... If government is allowed to mandate change with the Redskins matter does it not open the door to pandoras box with other issues
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #161
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...this one certainly would and you're fooling yourself if you think he didn't.
So, you think 3 Bush appointed federal judges were told by Obama to jump, and only responded "how high"? And what, exactly, would Obama's motivation be to issue this directive?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #162
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
I am partial to Paleface.
I kinda like Round Eye's , call me what ever you want just don't call me late for dinner.

People these day are way to sensitive,
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #163
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I'm sure somebody mentioned this ... hope so, cause this point should end the debate. They're labeling THEMSELVES Redskins, because fans and players and staff respect and admire the men and their image. Enough to adorn their bodies, homes and cars with expensive "Redskins" clothing and paraphernalia.

ALL mascot/nicknames are chosen because of the nherany for inherent qualities of to represent qualities of strength, excellence, victory. To instill pride and loyalty. That's why you don't see names like Cincinnati Sloths or Pittsburgh Plastics. It's Seahawks, not buzzards ... Bengals not bungholes.

Is there any Native American polling on this issue?
Yes there was and it was over 82% did not think Redskins should be changed or offensive.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #164
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BRONCO View Post
Anyone listen to the Dan Patrick show?

There was an interesting phone call taken recently comparing the "objectification"/ offensiveness of scantily clad cheerleaders to the "Redskins" name issue in which Patrick dismissed rather quickly.

I found it rather amusing... If government is allowed to mandate change with the Redskins matter does it not open the door to pandoras box with other issues
Bueller...,Bueller..., anyone
Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #165
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Yes there was and it was over 82% did not think Redskins should be changed or offensive.
Make that 83%- this world is already too PC if you ask me...
Old 06-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #166
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
So I wonder when Obama and his liberal buddies are gonna demand that Oklahoma changes it's name? The state's name is derived from the Choctaw words okla and humma, meaning "red people".

Also polls show most white people find the name Cracker offensive, so why haven't they attacked Cracker Barrel or Cracker Jacks?
Really? That crispy small square piece of bread known as a cracker was around long before somebody decided to use it in a derogatory manner. If I called you a biscuit, are you then going to use that as an example also? It's a different case when something is first considered a derogatory slur, such as Redskin, or _igger. You know things are very sensitive when it comes to race and religion.

This is what I'm talking about with some of you. There is no grey in the world, things have to be black and white or nothing at all. 1 law is created and all of a sudden it's a slippery path to laws against anything and everything. We can't win.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #167
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
So, you think 3 Bush appointed federal judges were told by Obama to jump, and only responded "how high"? And what, exactly, would Obama's motivation be to issue this directive?
I do. His office appoints the board and it's not like it's the SCOTUS either. Now when you combine that with the IRS scandal and the other scandals, it's not hard to believe nor is it far-fetched.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #168
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

In Korea they called us big-nose.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #169
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
In Korea they called us big-nose.
The girls back in my college days called me tri-pod ...........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #170
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Gringos
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #171
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
The girls back in my college days called me tri-pod ...........

Is that why you wear the helmet?

Last edited by baja; 06-24-2014 at 09:33 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #172
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Is that why you were the helmet?
Back in the days when I played football teams only had one helmet and they always gave to the guy who was going to run the ball ……. defense was a lot easier back in those days..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #173
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Ditka with strong words...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...name/14304345/

"What's all the stink over the Redskin name?" Ditka said. "It's so much [expletive] it's incredible. We're going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin, what are you going to call them, a Brownskin? This is so stupid it's appalling, and I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That's the way it is.
"Its been the name of the team since the beginning of football. It has nothing to do with something that happened lately, or something that somebody dreamed up. This was the name, period. Leave it alone. These people are silly — asinine, actually, in my opinion."
And he continued the strong words in the interview:
"It's all the political correct idiots in America, that's all it is," Ditka said. "It's got nothing to do with anything else. We're going to change something because we can. Hey listen, I went through it in the 60s, too. I mean, come on. Everybody lined up, did this. It's fine to protest. That's your right, if you don't like it, protest. You have a right to do that, but to change the name, that's ridiculous. Change the Constitution — we've got people trying to do that, too, and they're doing a pretty good job."

He is kind of making me think the name should actually be changed now....
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #174
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
lol...

really?

Arrowheads in and of themselves are not a native american invention. Not even close.
Do you really think the Chiefs are not supposed to be a Native American mascot? The Cleveland Indians are Native American too, but you can argue that they are people from India.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #175
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Ditka with strong words...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...name/14304345/

"What's all the stink over the Redskin name?" Ditka said. "It's so much [expletive] it's incredible. We're going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin, what are you going to call them, a Brownskin? This is so stupid it's appalling, and I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That's the way it is.
"Its been the name of the team since the beginning of football. It has nothing to do with something that happened lately, or something that somebody dreamed up. This was the name, period. Leave it alone. These people are silly — asinine, actually, in my opinion."
And he continued the strong words in the interview:
"It's all the political correct idiots in America, that's all it is," Ditka said. "It's got nothing to do with anything else. We're going to change something because we can. Hey listen, I went through it in the 60s, too. I mean, come on. Everybody lined up, did this. It's fine to protest. That's your right, if you don't like it, protest. You have a right to do that, but to change the name, that's ridiculous. Change the Constitution — we've got people trying to do that, too, and they're doing a pretty good job."

He is kind of making me think the name should actually be changed now....
Ditka has always been a hot head. You ever notice he tries to talk so fast sometimes that you can't really even understand what he's saying, lol. He should be replaced on the show. He's jut not entertaining to watch. I think there are plenty of guys they could find that would be better. Get Shanny in there, hahahahahaha, KIDDING !!!
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote