The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default How are Obama and the IRS getting away with a blatant coverup?

To understand the latest outrage in the IRS scandal, mull over what might happen if regulators found significant evidence to implicate Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein in an insider trading scheme.

Let’s say Blankfein asserted his Fifth Amendment right not to answer any questions. Say Goldman was subpoenaed to provide all of Blankfein’s emails. Goldman replied that, instead of complying with the subpoena, it was itself reviewing the emails in question and was considering which ones to release.

Now imagine that, nearly a year later, Goldman admitted that it had not, in fact, reviewed the emails in question, because they had been lost in a computer crash two months before it claimed to be reviewing them. Imagine Goldman also said copies of the emails were lost, because while under subpoena, it had destroyed the “backup tapes” (whatever those are) that held them and that it had also thrown away Blankfein’s actual hard drive.

More:
http://nypost.com/2014/06/21/why-are...atant-coverup/
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Personally, I think it's still too early whether to question Obama's involvement. There certainly is a lot of smoke there - the number of IRS visits being one of them.

More what I have questions about is systematic pressure by Democrats to put try and get the IRS to put pressure on their political enemies. I have absolutely zero doubts about this taking place. That is why those emails are so damaging that they had to be destroyed. I truly believe that if they ever managed to recover those drives, the information there would be rich with Democrats pressuring Lerner into investigations - and Lerner taking action on just about each and every one of them.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It's a huge coverup and we will never get to the bottom of it. Holder won't do anything and without him it's tough. Repubs don't have enough power in the Senate to really get nasty.

they threw the hard drive away. That is funny.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Dukes
Ring of Famer

No even a smidgen of corruption going on here.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This can't last forever. This is one of those things where the Democrat party is eventually going to have to move to protect itself as an electable entity by calling for accountability. At the very least, they're going to have to call for the same kind of investigative review as what brought Shinseki to resign.

I just found something that makes this whole situation more interesting. I was expecting that you'd see Democrats in red states being the first to publicly call for further investigation into the IRS. So I did a search of "Kay Hagan IRS" and "Mary Landrieu IRS." What I found was that they may, in fact, both be involved with the systematic pressure by Democrats to put try and get the IRS to target their political enemies (along with nearly every Democrat senator who is facing a serious challenge this November.

This scandal isn't even about Obama (though he may be involved, who can say). It's about the Democrat party trying to use the IRS as political muscle.

This is going to get ugly.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

As I've stated many times, this is the real reason we still have the IRS. They are not competent, nor can be trusted, and complicated filing taxes so much many people have to have someone else to it for them. A government agency with no legit oversight is as corrupt as any corporation liberals believe all are.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Obama has re-written the rules.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I'm going to tell the IRS that I can't pay taxes this year because my computer crashed and I lost all my financial information. With no record of income and no possible way to retrieve it then I must owe nothing.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
pricejj
jungle

Court martial and prosecute them all, no matter how long it takes.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
To understand the latest outrage in the IRS scandal, mull over what might happen if regulators found significant evidence to implicate Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein in an insider trading scheme.

Let’s say Blankfein asserted his Fifth Amendment right not to answer any questions. Say Goldman was subpoenaed to provide all of Blankfein’s emails. Goldman replied that, instead of complying with the subpoena, it was itself reviewing the emails in question and was considering which ones to release.

Now imagine that, nearly a year later, Goldman admitted that it had not, in fact, reviewed the emails in question, because they had been lost in a computer crash two months before it claimed to be reviewing them. Imagine Goldman also said copies of the emails were lost, because while under subpoena, it had destroyed the “backup tapes” (whatever those are) that held them and that it had also thrown away Blankfein’s actual hard drive.

More:
http://nypost.com/2014/06/21/why-are...atant-coverup/
I would say business as usual.

Do I win anything?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This is no longer a partisain issue. This is either corruption or gross incompetence that must be investigated at least as stringently as the VA scandal was - and every day that it's not, it just makes it look like stonewalling and further corruption. That can't go on forever because there is an election as stake. The problem, however, is that every Democrat that has a senate seat fight is implicated - which complicates things politically for the democrats because if they call for investigation, they're effectively conceding the election in November. If they don't call for investigation, they look complicit.

History is not going to look very kindly on this whole ordeal.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm sort of worried about what type of repubs we will get though TACO. We don't need more revenge type politics. We don't need a new President who flaunts his power at Congress even more. Hell maybe a repub President will just go it alone without Congress and use Obama as his precedent.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Not good we need a President who fights, works with Congress but not just circumvents Congress at every turn.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:07 AM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Not good we need a President who fights, works with Congress but not just circumvents Congress at every turn.
There is only one person running right now that has any hope of uniting the two sides of the aisle behind anything remotely productive. He was the Republican on the Sunday shows this weekend calling out wrong Republicans and winning fans of Democrats.