The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default Mike Adams signs with Colts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ety-mike-adams

With free agent safety Mike Adams anxious to land a job, the 10-year veteran who helped the Broncos to the Super Bowl last year finally has a new one, as the Colts announced Saturday morning they had signed the 33-year-old.

Adams spent the past two seasons in Denver where, after starting all 16 games in 2012 and accumulating a career-high 80 tackles, he became a part-time starter in 2013. Before that, Adams spent five seasons with the Browns and three with the 49ers.

“This is the longest I've ever waited to get picked up so the anxiety is starting to pick up now,” Adams said this past week on Sirius XM radio, via PFT. “I can't fathom me going out like this. I can't imagine losing a big game and not even having another opportunity to step on the field. That's why the anxiety is picking up with me.”

Adams can now exhale all that anxiety while the Colts add some much-needed depth to the safety spot.

As Pro Football Focus wrote a few months back, "A solid contributor for the Broncos last year, Adams is a fairly average safety at this point in his career, and that's not necessarily a bad thing for teams with a need at the position."
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

good for Adams, he is a solid player and person: He did a great job for Denver.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I liked Adams, wish him nothing but the best!
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Guess the Broncos felt with T.J. Ward, and with Quinton Carter and Rahim Moore coming back, he was expendable. He was a good Bronco and I wish him the best. Ironic thing is he played a key role in encouraging Ward to come to Denver. Still wish the Broncos would've taken care of business so he could've walked home from the Super Bowl, lol. He always seemed like a good leader and a good guy on and off the field. Happy trails, Mike. Glad to see him get picked up.
Mile High Salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
good for Adams, he is a solid player and person: He did a great job for Denver.
came in to post the same thing almost verbatim. Adams seems like a classy dude
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Adams is a solid player
If Q Carter can stay healthy we have good safety death
But I am slightly worried if he can't because then we have the likes of Bruton and or Ihenacho starting if an injury occurs and that is no bueno
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I liked Adams. Not the most physically gifted any longer, but the guy leaves it on the field.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

0-1 fudges are given.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
Guess the Broncos felt with T.J. Ward, and with Quinton Carter and Rahim Moore coming back, he was expendable. He was a good Bronco and I wish him the best. Ironic thing is he played a key role in encouraging Ward to come to Denver. Still wish the Broncos would've taken care of business so he could've walked home from the Super Bowl, lol. He always seemed like a good leader and a good guy on and off the field. Happy trails, Mike. Glad to see him get picked up.
No worries so many of us here just knew Champ would move to safety. Wait Opps.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

The Broncos must feel real confident about Q Carter's knee. As far as we know, they didn't even try to sign Adams. On a side note, I think it was Kliss that mentioned that apparently they are switching Omar Bolden back to CB as he was getting reps there last week ( per a radio interview).
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #11
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
The Broncos must feel real confident about Q Carter's knee. As far as we know, they didn't even try to sign Adams. On a side note, I think it was Kliss that mentioned that apparently they are switching Omar Bolden back to CB as he was getting reps there last week ( per a radio interview).
Interesting, that means they won't cut any Safeties. The last roster spot likely comes down to Bolden (#6CB) or Nelson (#6LB).
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Interesting, that means they won't cut any Safeties. The last roster spot likely comes down to Bolden (#6CB) or Nelson (#6LB).
Unless Nelson catches fire in TC & preseason, he is probably headed to the PS. I don't think Bolden is PS eligible so he either puts it all together this year, or he's gone. Bolden does have some ST ability so maybe that gives him a bit of an edge. We'll see.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #13
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Unless Nelson catches fire in TC & preseason, he is probably headed to the PS. I don't think Bolden is PS eligible so he either puts it all together this year, or he's gone. Bolden does have some ST ability so maybe that gives him a bit of an edge. We'll see.
If Nelson goes to the PS, I think Bolden is a virtual lock for the final roster. I also think Austin will make it over Unrein. And I think Barrett is going to make it.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
If Nelson goes to the PS, I think Bolden is a virtual lock for the final roster. I think Austin will make it over Unrein. And I think Barrett is going to make it.
Interesting. That would be awesome/ scary(for other teams) if he makes a Pot Roast like turn around this year. OTOH, my understanding is that Austin's problem has been health, not achievement. But either way, that would be great.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #15
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Interesting. That would be awesome/ scary(for other teams) if he makes a Pot Roast like turn around this year. OTOH, my understanding is that Austin's problem has been health, not achievement. But either way, that would be great.
Main reason being Unrein would count $1.43M against the cap for minimal production. Austin represents better value at only $570k, and might bring a little more in the pass-rush.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #16
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

what kind of production are we looking at? Unrein was solid last year. DTs don't typically put up any numbers of note, especially rotational DTs. But the run d was fine when he played--which is indicative of the unit as a whole and to a lesser degree the player. I don't remember seeing Unrein jumping a gap, caught out of position, or overpowered. I think he's fine as a rotational piece and his salary is nominal enough to where he will have to really be outplayed to be cut. I would be mildly surprised if Denver cut him to be honest.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #17
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
what kind of production are we looking at? Unrein was solid last year. DTs don't typically put up any numbers of note, especially rotational DTs. But the run d was fine when he played--which is indicative of the unit as a whole and to a lesser degree the player. I don't remember seeing Unrein jumping a gap, caught out of position, or overpowered. I think he's fine as a rotational piece and his salary is nominal enough to where he will have to really be outplayed to be cut. I would be mildly surprised if Denver cut him to be honest.
No one is rooting for that to happen; I'm certainly not. It s just that Austin is a starter in ability and Unrein probably never will be. That's all we are saying. But as I said, and concede, Austin has to prove he can stay healthy, and that is a big question mark, I know.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #18
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I actually think they could potentially carry Unrein and Austin. Especially given then uncertainty surrounding Big Vick and his hip.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #19
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
I actually think they could potentially carry Unrein and Austin. Especially given then uncertainty surrounding Big Vick and his hip.
Yeah, Vickerson is more likely. Especially if he can't perform at a high level in camp. Something's gotta give to be able to afford DT and Julius next year.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #20
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Wish we could have kept Adams. With last year's injuries on D, I felt he was a security blanket for 2014.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Main reason being Unrein would count $1.43M against the cap for minimal production. Austin represents better value at only $570k, and might bring a little more in the pass-rush.
at this point and time in their careers, I'd take Unrein over Austin. Austin has done exactly jack crap in the NFL. Unrein can at least provide good depth on the dline.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #22
Punisher
® Kiss the shoes!

We run the AFC WOOOOOOO!®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Colts will have the 1st seed this year their schedule is cake plus they have a mid season bye it's build for them to have the 1st seed

Last edited by Punisher; 06-18-2014 at 05:33 AM..
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote