The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Poll: Is Bitcoin a Long-Term Alternative?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Is Bitcoin a Long-Term Alternative?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #51
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
It's just an infinitely cheaper and functionally superior way to transact over the internet. Big and little amounts. Wiring large cash amounts around the world is 1000s of times more expensive. The transaction costs comparison is like hundreds of dollars to 1 cent. There are no third party transaction costs so that makes micro payments possible. You can easily tip others like I could send you 3 cents (0.00005587 BTC) for enjoying one of your posts if I had one of your addresses to send it to. You'll have a collection of addresses that all go to your bitcoin wallet. Each time you transact a new address is automatically generated for you or you can use one of the previous ones. For example, this address goes to my wallet - 1HLBw9688PQiqbmPMx7wT1ZyZTXpuHYDkw

That address was generated days ago and already has thousands of confirmations around the world on a decentralized ledger. My bitcoin is set in stone (or set in the blockchain) Nobody can hack the bitcoin system. Yes, they can hack online accounts just like any other bank accounts but not bitcoin itself. It's safer than USD which can be either counterfeited or legally duplicated through QE. You have no control over the money in your pocket being less of the total supply. With bitcoin, you know exactly what % of the supply you have and that can't change unless you spend or receive it.

The price scares people, but it doesn't matter what it costs. You can always just own a few cents if that's all you really wanted. It's trending up because more people are using it. The bitcoin community is still just a tiny percentage, but the market capitalization is over $6 billion. You can buy cars, houses, just about anything. The first ATM machines sprang up earlier this month.
How do you get into bit coin?
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #52
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #53
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Attn: Bit Coin values about to sky rocket.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #54
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Attn: Bit Coin values about to sky rocket.
Did your psychic tip you?
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #55
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

This is the best talk on Bitcoin ever.

Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #56
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
This is the best talk on Bitcoin ever.

Don't have 30 minutes, can someone give the summary bullet points

Last edited by El Minion; 05-23-2014 at 01:56 PM..
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #57
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
To this day, this meme still makes me laugh:

El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:38 AM   #58
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
I'm not the most tech savvy person, so I'm not the one to ask. The easiest way (what I did) was to open an account with coinbase.com.

This looks helpful.

Buying Bitcoins (the newbie version)

I noticed a new place in Colorado Springs that's gaining some popularity in the bitcoin world. You give Bit Brothers cash and your bitcoin address, and your purchased bitcoins will arrive at that address. They have an easy cash by mail, but I'm sure you go can to 745 Amberglen Court in person and physically give them cash.
https://www.bitbrothersllc.com/Bitbr...c/Welcome.html
Old 06-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #59
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
Gaff, I'll second what Arkie mentioned about http://www.coinbase.com . It's the easiest and most user-friendly way to purchase them safely online these days, however you pay a bit more in fees.

Here's a good wiki that should answer most of the basic Qs: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page

And of course, check out http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

If you purchase any, just be sure not to leave any bitcoin on a third-party online site longer than you have to. Move the bitcoin to a properly created paper wallet or encrypted wallet and make sure you secure the private keys.

http://www.blockchain.info has some good resources as well
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:18 AM   #60
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Default How a Teenage Entrepreneur Built a Startup on Bitcoin Riches

When 15-year-old Erik Finman turned a $1,000 Easter gift from his grandma into $100,000 after cashing in on his Bitcoin investment, he wasn’t all like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece. He was all business.

The Idaho robotics champ and early North Idaho College student used his Bitcoin riches to launch Botangle.com, a burgeoning online video tutoring startup, according to Mashable.

The fee-based e-learning service currently offers 59 impressive subjects, including, of course, Bitcoin and entrepreneurship, along with a wealth of other “resources that just do not exist in a normal classroom setting.” Botangle students can also enroll in computer programming, advanced mathematics (stochastic calculus!), 3D special effects and, oddly, equine nutrition courses.

Finman credits his older brother for turning him on to Bitcoin back in 2012. As reported by CoinDesk, he received 0.2 bitcoins from his sibling and bought more using the $1,000 from his grandmother. He sold them a year later for $100,000, when the price per Bitcoin was about $1,200. Smart move, kid.

Like so many other "Bitcoinians,” Finman expects the cryptocurrency to be as big of a game-changer as the Internet itself. He’s going all in, paying his staff of 20 in the digital cash most of the time.

“I’m sharing the wealth of bitcoin because I have no doubt it will be huger [sic] than anyone can imagine right now,” he told Mashable. “Bitcoin is like the Internet in the 90s.”

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advi...160200205.html
Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #61
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Minion View Post
Don't have 30 minutes, can someone give the summary bullet points
I can't write down all the great points that deserve their own bullet crammed into 30 minutes. Here are a couple of quotes.

”Historically, politicians have always fought for the power to create money out of thin air, so they can increase their spending without having to directly increase taxes. The staggering growth of political power throughout the twentieth century — the century of war — was largely made possible by replacing money limited by gold with paper currencies, which can be printed at will by government-controlled banks.”

”Cryptocurrencies are the first self-limiting monetary systems in the history of mankind, and could be our greatest chance to check the growth of political power since the Magna Carta."