The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #51
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I believe the primary reason the 2nd Amendment was put in place was not so much for hunting, or self defense. But to have the ability to fight and have a fighting chance against a tyrannical government. The gun rights folks hardly ever say this, and that is why they are often tripped up when trying to defend their stance on assault weapons.

Which is my one and only reason why we should not ban assault rifles, or weapons designed to kill people.

We wouldn't have much of a shot fighting a well armed government with handguns, shotguns, or .22s.
I agree that 2nd Amendment supporters often don't even understand themselves the scope of what the founders intended. They really did think about armed rebellion. Or at least the credible threat of it.

And why wouldn't they? They had just been on the winning side of one. Had Americans not been well armed then, there would be no America today.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #52
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I agree that 2nd Amendment supporters often don't even understand themselves the scope of what the founders intended. They really did think about armed rebellion. Or at least the credible threat of it.

And why wouldn't they? They had just been on the winning side of one. Had Americans not been well armed then, there would be no America today.
Another gun control idea not mentioned by the op that I am against. Gun registration. Unless someone can explain to me why the government needs to know if I'm armed and what I'm armed with.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #53
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Another gun control idea not mentioned by the op that I am against. Gun registration. Unless someone can explain to me why the government needs to know if I'm armed and what I'm armed with.
Again, this is a state matter and different states do it different ways:

Virginia, birth place of the 1st Amendment and most of our framers, makes you register your pistols and you have to have a permit to carry it in your car.

Colorado,

I can open carry, carry the fire arm loaded or unloaded in my car(it's considered an extention of my home), and as far as I know the only person that knows I have that serial number is the FFL for 7 years.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #54
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
I believe the primary reason the 2nd Amendment was put in place was not so much for hunting, or self defense. But to have the ability to fight and have a fighting chance against a tyrannical government. The gun rights folks hardly ever say this, and that is why they are often tripped up when trying to defend their stance on assault weapons.

Which is my one and only reason why we should not ban assault rifles, or weapons designed to kill people.

We wouldn't have much of a shot fighting a well armed government with handguns, shotguns, or .22s.
You are right. How many tyrannical governments have we over thrown in the U.S.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10325505_644423845644337_3991778600588879413_n.jpg (45.4 KB, 30 views)
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #55
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Thanks for making my point. But sadly your cartoon is as wrong as it is stupid. The correct answer is 1. Although they came back and we had to fight them off again in 1812. But even if you don't count 1812, since the 1 we've given citizens the right to bear arms. And since the citizens have been armed the answer is 0. If you count 1812 as a foreign invader that use to be a tyrannical government.

Why is it in your opinion that we haven't had to deal with or overthrow a tyrannical government in the last 233 years? Why haven't we had our saddam, hitler, pol pot, or Stalin/Lenin? All those tyrants do have something in common by the way. Care to guess what it is? Other than being tyrannical maniacs?

When the people fear the government you have tyranny. When the government fears the people you have liberty.

John Basil Barnhill.

Last edited by spdirty; 06-10-2014 at 06:37 PM..
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #56
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Most 2nd Amendment defenders are vehemently opposed to registration.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #57
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Thanks for making my point. But sadly your cartoon is as wrong as it is stupid. The correct answer is 1. Although they came back and we had to fight them off again in 1812. But even if you don't count 1812, since the 1 we've given citizens the right to bear arms. And since the citizens have been armed the answer is 0. If you count 1812 as a foreign invader that use to be a tyrannical government.

Why is it in your opinion that we haven't had to deal with or overthrow a tyrannical government in the last 233 years? Why haven't we had our saddam, hitler, pol pot, or Stalin/Lenin? All those tyrants do have something in common by the way. Care to guess what it is? Other than being tyrannical maniacs?

When the people fear the government you have tyranny. When the government fears the people you have liberty.

John Basil Barnhill.
In before the progtards say "We did. His name was Ronald"
Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #58
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
So let's try to keep guns out of the hands of demented nutcases. the problem is that anytime anyone mentions gun control, the right goes bonkers.
I would like to see this also but please explain how this will be accomplished? Who will make the determination that someone without a criminal record is a “demented nutcase”? Will it be a teacher, parent, neighbor or a friend of the family that can point a finger at someone and say “this person can’t buy a firearm? If a guy shaves his head and gets a radical tattoo, is all we need to take his rights away?

The current law already applies if he has a criminal record or has been judged mentally incompetent.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #59
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Psych evals?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #60
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Psych evals?
That doesn't answer the question.

Are all citizens required to have a physiological examination or do we just go on a witch hunt looking strange people that don’t fit the mold and force them to have the examination?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #61
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Maybe the 2nd amend works then. Govt knows it can't go to far with an armed public.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #62
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

oh, let's just, as an experiment, disarm the Secret Service. Give them whistles instead.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #63
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Oh, let's get real. Basically gun control advocates would like all the guns to be in the hands of the government and yellow dog democrat supporters and that's about it. The most gun violence typically occurs in areas that have the strictest gun laws. Gee, what a surprise a criminal doesn't follow the laws, but of course, so many are repeat offenders of crime since they need 30 chances to prove they belong in jail permanently.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #64
El Minion
Ring of Famer

El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote