The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #51
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Not to worry they will take payment in title to National Parks and such things.
the US still owns those ?
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #52
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
In the video posted by the OP, the idea is to have the tiles placed on the ground in every road, driveway, and parking area.

In the video I posted, the author suggests that a more practical use for solar panels would be something like this:

They've been doing that in AZ now for years.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #53
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Outside of mathematics and the less esoteric forms of formal logic there are no proofs of anything - just evidence of various reliability.
Don't try and think too much. Of course there's proof of millions of things, don't be so naive. I'm here typing this right now, that's proof that......I woke up this morning, that I have a computer and keyboard, that my fingers work, my heart is pumping, the sun came up, on and on and on and on.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #54
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Don't try and think too much. Of course there's proof of millions of things, don't be so naive. I'm here typing this right now, that's proof that......I woke up this morning, that I have a computer and keyboard, that my fingers work, my heart is pumping, the sun came up, on and on and on and on.
The things you are list aren't proven at all. Someone could easily be using that account, you could be posting from a cellphone, tablet or from an internet cafe, you could be a paraplegic who uses their face or even someone who suffers locked in syndrome who uses their eyelids. Nothing is proven, there are alternatives and they are possible, unlikely maybe, but possible.

Proof only exists when EVERY alternative can be disproven.

Last edited by gyldenlove; 06-08-2014 at 10:12 AM..
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #55
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Name me one thing that can be proven, remember for something to be proven every alternative must be provably untrue.
Jews have big noses and white people can't jump and Arizona will reach 100 degrees at least once every sumner.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #56
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
They've been doing that in AZ now for years.
Honest question. Do the people that live in these areas actually see a reduction in their power bills?
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #57
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

You may see a few roads here and there that are like that but it will never be widespread.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #58
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

All I know is that it's an interesting concept -- it will be worth it to drive 35-40 miles to Sandpoint and see it first-hand once it's installed. With any new invention, testing to see if it will work is one of the logical first steps, and that's what they're planning to do.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #59
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
All I know is that it's an interesting concept -- it will be worth it to drive 35-40 miles to Sandpoint and see it first-hand once it's installed. With any new invention, testing to see if it will work is one of the logical first steps, and that's what they're planning to do.

Make sure you have your studded snow tires on.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #60
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Sounds pretty damn cool to me
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #61
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Make sure you have your studded snow tires on.
In this area, the snow tires go on the car in mid-to-late November.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #62
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I think you let private entities try this out before you let the govt start replacing roads with it. Let Walmart or someone fund the installation of these things in their parking lots, determine their reliability, durability, and sustainability before trying to replace public roads. Walmart is moving strongly towards solar power and this would also save them money and make them an attractive place to shop in northern climates.
I think it is more practical to try it out on stretches of road in different climates. A parking lot is not a good test for it.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #63
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

A cool thing would be a company doing this and then changing the parking lines everyday to **** with their employees!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #64
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
In the video posted by the OP, the idea is to have the tiles placed on the ground in every road, driveway, and parking area.

In the video I posted, the author suggests that a more practical use for solar panels would be something like this:

That makes sense. We have all seen a bajillion parking lots, apartment lots, and buildings/building lots that could be covered with panels like the picture shown.

Now to the op? And converting roads to this silly idea?

maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #65
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
During the day parking lots are full of cars so how do the the solar panels get charged? And at night the parking lots are empty, but there is no sun.

I highly recommend watching the video I posted above. It's actually pretty interesting.
This is exactly why you let a private entity take on the trial and error. If a Walmart installs this in place of the asphalt at a brand new store, it eliminates several of the negatives outlaid in the video.

1 - new construction excavation already eliminates the cost associated with tearing up existing road and laying out a proper foundation for the panels.

2 - There is no nationwide grid to tie into. There are no long underground electrical runs and no need to step up voltage to high voltage levels for transmission. The panels simply supply an additional source of power to the individual store that they are installed at.

3 - Glass wear and traction. Installing in a parking lot gives you a chance to evaluate glass wear patterns and determine whether the materials are safe and will last. All this without putting people in danger by allowing them to travel at high speeds over the panels.

4 - Testing of LED functions. If the LEDs are not visible, you can easily paint parking space lines without causing traffic issues.

The issue with the parking spaces being covered during the day is minor IMO. The Walmart local to me has 2 or 3 times more parking spaces than it really needs. The lot is never more than half full even on their busiest days. The panels would also be present in drive aisles and all around the back of the store where there are no standing vehicles. I would think this would supply enough energy to at a minimum operate and test the heating functions and efficiency of the panel.

And most importantly - this leaves the govt out of it.

Yes installing panels on elevated structures in a parking lot is probably much more efficient, but I think these glass panels are at least worth testing at an actual usable location. I'm sure there is room for this technology to develop and it could possibly lead into something better.

And yes the promo video was retarded.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #66
manchambo
Ring of Famer

I always wondered who sent the money to the guy in Africa to claim the million dollars. Now I see.

What a pointless, impractical idea.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #67
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's crazy. It'll never work. They cost too much. They'll crack. They're too delicate. You'll slide off them. Oil companies will never let it happen.

Scott Brusaw, an electrical engineer from Idaho, has heard it all before. Over the past eight years, skeptics (like this one) have been telling him his concept for solar roadways — replacing America's roads with solar panels, creating a power grid where pavement used to be — won't work. But Brusaw suddenly has a reason why it will — actually, 2.2 million of them.

Solar Roadways' crowdfunding campaign, which closed on Monday, raised $2.2 million — more than double what Brusaw was seeking — in just two months. The campaign, the most popular in Indiegogo's history, attracted more than 48,000 backers from all 50 states and 165 countries.

"At the end of this year, we'll have a finished product," Brusaw said. "It's not going to happen overnight — there's a learning curve here. Once we're convinced the final product works in a parking lot, we'll try residential roads. Then, eventually, the fast lane of a highway."

According to his calculations, the "smart" solar panels — encased in double-layered, bomb-resistant, bulletproof glass capable of withstanding 250,000 pounds — would, among other things, be able to generate "three times the electricity that we currently use in the United States," prevent accidents by melting snow and ice (and warning drivers of debris in the road with solar-powered LED lights) and even collect storm water. Oh, and cut greenhouse emissions by as much as 75 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/solar-roadways-210149010.html
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #68
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

4 - Testing of LED functions. If the LEDs are not visible, you can easily paint parking space lines without causing traffic issues.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #69
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
It's crazy. It'll never work. They cost too much. They'll crack. They're too delicate. You'll slide off them. Oil companies will never let it happen.

Scott Brusaw, an electrical engineer from Idaho, has heard it all before. Over the past eight years, skeptics (like this one) have been telling him his concept for solar roadways — replacing America's roads with solar panels, creating a power grid where pavement used to be — won't work. But Brusaw suddenly has a reason why it will — actually, 2.2 million of them.

Solar Roadways' crowdfunding campaign, which closed on Monday, raised $2.2 million — more than double what Brusaw was seeking — in just two months. The campaign, the most popular in Indiegogo's history, attracted more than 48,000 backers from all 50 states and 165 countries.

"At the end of this year, we'll have a finished product," Brusaw said. "It's not going to happen overnight — there's a learning curve here. Once we're convinced the final product works in a parking lot, we'll try residential roads. Then, eventually, the fast lane of a highway."

According to his calculations, the "smart" solar panels — encased in double-layered, bomb-resistant, bulletproof glass capable of withstanding 250,000 pounds — would, among other things, be able to generate "three times the electricity that we currently use in the United States," prevent accidents by melting snow and ice (and warning drivers of debris in the road with solar-powered LED lights) and even collect storm water. Oh, and cut greenhouse emissions by as much as 75 percent.

That article is pretty cool. It will be interesting to see this happen in a large parking lot. How much it will cost and when they will get a return on their
investment.

This is a great thing. I don't see how ordinary people could possibly be against this.

Last edited by Guess Who; 06-25-2014 at 06:40 AM..
Old 06-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #70
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Once we're convinced the final product works in a parking lot, we'll try residential roads. Then, eventually, the fast lane of a highway."
Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #71
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Elaborate!

The video points out that the LEDs are a stupid idea because they are not visible in sunlight. I disagree with that assessment, but that wasn't my point.

I was more pointing out that testing the LED function in a parking lot is more practical than a highway. If the LEDs dont work, just paint the parking grid on top of the glass as you would on asphalt.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #72
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:

Figure out a way to vaporize dog shiit what dumped on and I'm in.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #73
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Elaborate!

The video points out that the LEDs are a stupid idea because they are not visible in sunlight. I disagree with that assessment, but that wasn't my point.

I was more pointing out that testing the LED function in a parking lot is more practical than a highway. If the LEDs dont work, just paint the parking grid on top of the glass as you would on asphalt.
you would be blocking part of the panels from the sun thus making that area non conductive as far as generating power goes. The paint defeats your purpose of generating electricity
Old 06-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #74
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
you would be blocking part of the panels from the sun thus making that area non conductive as far as generating power goes. The paint defeats your purpose of generating electricity
I seriously doubt a 2" wide line every 6-8' is going to compromise power production - especially when you consider the lines are being painted in lieu of powering LEDs non stop.

For a parking lot in its entirety, parking space grid lines would cover what...2% of the entire surface?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #75
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
I seriously doubt a 2" wide line every 6-8' is going to compromise power production - especially when you consider the lines are being painted in lieu of powering LEDs non stop.

For a parking lot in its entirety, parking space grid lines would cover what...2% of the entire surface?

Do you work for the government?