The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #51
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nζstved, DK
Posts: 11,708

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Don't try and think too much. Of course there's proof of millions of things, don't be so naive. I'm here typing this right now, that's proof that......I woke up this morning, that I have a computer and keyboard, that my fingers work, my heart is pumping, the sun came up, on and on and on and on.
The things you are list aren't proven at all. Someone could easily be using that account, you could be posting from a cellphone, tablet or from an internet cafe, you could be a paraplegic who uses their face or even someone who suffers locked in syndrome who uses their eyelids. Nothing is proven, there are alternatives and they are possible, unlikely maybe, but possible.

Proof only exists when EVERY alternative can be disproven.

Last edited by gyldenlove; 06-08-2014 at 11:12 AM..
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #52
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
Kicked & Screamed to a SB Title

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 68,208

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Name me one thing that can be proven, remember for something to be proven every alternative must be provably untrue.
Jews have big noses and white people can't jump and Arizona will reach 100 degrees at least once every sumner.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #53
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama
Posts: 7,906

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
They've been doing that in AZ now for years.
Honest question. Do the people that live in these areas actually see a reduction in their power bills?
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #54
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

You may see a few roads here and there that are like that but it will never be widespread.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #55
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: filling the cups... lol
Posts: 34,771

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

All I know is that it's an interesting concept -- it will be worth it to drive 35-40 miles to Sandpoint and see it first-hand once it's installed. With any new invention, testing to see if it will work is one of the logical first steps, and that's what they're planning to do.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #56
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
Kicked & Screamed to a SB Title

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 68,208

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
All I know is that it's an interesting concept -- it will be worth it to drive 35-40 miles to Sandpoint and see it first-hand once it's installed. With any new invention, testing to see if it will work is one of the logical first steps, and that's what they're planning to do.

Make sure you have your studded snow tires on.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #57
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 26,339
Default

Sounds pretty damn cool to me
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #58
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: filling the cups... lol
Posts: 34,771

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Make sure you have your studded snow tires on.
In this area, the snow tires go on the car in mid-to-late November.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #59
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I think you let private entities try this out before you let the govt start replacing roads with it. Let Walmart or someone fund the installation of these things in their parking lots, determine their reliability, durability, and sustainability before trying to replace public roads. Walmart is moving strongly towards solar power and this would also save them money and make them an attractive place to shop in northern climates.
I think it is more practical to try it out on stretches of road in different climates. A parking lot is not a good test for it.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #60
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7,096
Default

A cool thing would be a company doing this and then changing the parking lines everyday to **** with their employees!
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:45 AM   #61
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 10,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
In the video posted by the OP, the idea is to have the tiles placed on the ground in every road, driveway, and parking area.

In the video I posted, the author suggests that a more practical use for solar panels would be something like this:

That makes sense. We have all seen a bajillion parking lots, apartment lots, and buildings/building lots that could be covered with panels like the picture shown.

Now to the op? And converting roads to this silly idea?

maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #62
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,462

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
During the day parking lots are full of cars so how do the the solar panels get charged? And at night the parking lots are empty, but there is no sun.


I highly recommend watching the video I posted above. It's actually pretty interesting.
This is exactly why you let a private entity take on the trial and error. If a Walmart installs this in place of the asphalt at a brand new store, it eliminates several of the negatives outlaid in the video.

1 - new construction excavation already eliminates the cost associated with tearing up existing road and laying out a proper foundation for the panels.

2 - There is no nationwide grid to tie into. There are no long underground electrical runs and no need to step up voltage to high voltage levels for transmission. The panels simply supply an additional source of power to the individual store that they are installed at.

3 - Glass wear and traction. Installing in a parking lot gives you a chance to evaluate glass wear patterns and determine whether the materials are safe and will last. All this without putting people in danger by allowing them to travel at high speeds over the panels.

4 - Testing of LED functions. If the LEDs are not visible, you can easily paint parking space lines without causing traffic issues.


The issue with the parking spaces being covered during the day is minor IMO. The Walmart local to me has 2 or 3 times more parking spaces than it really needs. The lot is never more than half full even on their busiest days. The panels would also be present in drive aisles and all around the back of the store where there are no standing vehicles. I would think this would supply enough energy to at a minimum operate and test the heating functions and efficiency of the panel.

And most importantly - this leaves the govt out of it.

Yes installing panels on elevated structures in a parking lot is probably much more efficient, but I think these glass panels are at least worth testing at an actual usable location. I'm sure there is room for this technology to develop and it could possibly lead into something better.

And yes the promo video was retarded.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #63
manchambo
Ring of Famer
 
manchambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,973
Default

I always wondered who sent the money to the guy in Africa to claim the million dollars. Now I see.

What a pointless, impractical idea.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #64
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

It's crazy. It'll never work. They cost too much. They'll crack. They're too delicate. You'll slide off them. Oil companies will never let it happen.

Scott Brusaw, an electrical engineer from Idaho, has heard it all before. Over the past eight years, skeptics (like this one) have been telling him his concept for solar roadways — replacing America's roads with solar panels, creating a power grid where pavement used to be — won't work. But Brusaw suddenly has a reason why it will — actually, 2.2 million of them.

Solar Roadways' crowdfunding campaign, which closed on Monday, raised $2.2 million — more than double what Brusaw was seeking — in just two months. The campaign, the most popular in Indiegogo's history, attracted more than 48,000 backers from all 50 states and 165 countries.

"At the end of this year, we'll have a finished product," Brusaw said. "It's not going to happen overnight — there's a learning curve here. Once we're convinced the final product works in a parking lot, we'll try residential roads. Then, eventually, the fast lane of a highway."

According to his calculations, the "smart" solar panels — encased in double-layered, bomb-resistant, bulletproof glass capable of withstanding 250,000 pounds — would, among other things, be able to generate "three times the electricity that we currently use in the United States," prevent accidents by melting snow and ice (and warning drivers of debris in the road with solar-powered LED lights) and even collect storm water. Oh, and cut greenhouse emissions by as much as 75 percent.


http://news.yahoo.com/solar-roadways-210149010.html
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #65
Kaylore
Super Bowl 50 Champions
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 49,394

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post

4 - Testing of LED functions. If the LEDs are not visible, you can easily paint parking space lines without causing traffic issues.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #66
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
It's crazy. It'll never work. They cost too much. They'll crack. They're too delicate. You'll slide off them. Oil companies will never let it happen.

Scott Brusaw, an electrical engineer from Idaho, has heard it all before. Over the past eight years, skeptics (like this one) have been telling him his concept for solar roadways — replacing America's roads with solar panels, creating a power grid where pavement used to be — won't work. But Brusaw suddenly has a reason why it will — actually, 2.2 million of them.

Solar Roadways' crowdfunding campaign, which closed on Monday, raised $2.2 million — more than double what Brusaw was seeking — in just two months. The campaign, the most popular in Indiegogo's history, attracted more than 48,000 backers from all 50 states and 165 countries.

"At the end of this year, we'll have a finished product," Brusaw said. "It's not going to happen overnight — there's a learning curve here. Once we're convinced the final product works in a parking lot, we'll try residential roads. Then, eventually, the fast lane of a highway."

According to his calculations, the "smart" solar panels — encased in double-layered, bomb-resistant, bulletproof glass capable of withstanding 250,000 pounds — would, among other things, be able to generate "three times the electricity that we currently use in the United States," prevent accidents by melting snow and ice (and warning drivers of debris in the road with solar-powered LED lights) and even collect storm water. Oh, and cut greenhouse emissions by as much as 75 percent.


http://news.yahoo.com/solar-roadways-210149010.html
That article is pretty cool. It will be interesting to see this happen in a large parking lot. How much it will cost and when they will get a return on their
investment.

This is a great thing. I don't see how ordinary people could possibly be against this.

Last edited by Guess Who; 06-25-2014 at 07:40 AM..
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #67
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,462

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Once we're convinced the final product works in a parking lot, we'll try residential roads. Then, eventually, the fast lane of a highway."
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #68
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,462

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Elaborate!

The video points out that the LEDs are a stupid idea because they are not visible in sunlight. I disagree with that assessment, but that wasn't my point.

I was more pointing out that testing the LED function in a parking lot is more practical than a highway. If the LEDs dont work, just paint the parking grid on top of the glass as you would on asphalt.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #69
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
Kicked & Screamed to a SB Title

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 68,208

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
It's crazy. It'll never work. They cost too much. They'll crack. They're too delicate. You'll slide off them. Oil companies will never let it happen.

Scott Brusaw, an electrical engineer from Idaho, has heard it all before. Over the past eight years, skeptics (like this one) have been telling him his concept for solar roadways — replacing America's roads with solar panels, creating a power grid where pavement used to be — won't work. But Brusaw suddenly has a reason why it will — actually, 2.2 million of them.

Solar Roadways' crowdfunding campaign, which closed on Monday, raised $2.2 million — more than double what Brusaw was seeking — in just two months. The campaign, the most popular in Indiegogo's history, attracted more than 48,000 backers from all 50 states and 165 countries.

"At the end of this year, we'll have a finished product," Brusaw said. "It's not going to happen overnight — there's a learning curve here. Once we're convinced the final product works in a parking lot, we'll try residential roads. Then, eventually, the fast lane of a highway."

According to his calculations, the "smart" solar panels — encased in double-layered, bomb-resistant, bulletproof glass capable of withstanding 250,000 pounds — would, among other things, be able to generate "three times the electricity that we currently use in the United States," prevent accidents by melting snow and ice (and warning drivers of debris in the road with solar-powered LED lights) and even collect storm water. Oh, and cut greenhouse emissions by as much as 75 percent.


http://news.yahoo.com/solar-roadways-210149010.html
Figure out a way to vaporize dog shiit what dumped on and I'm in.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #70
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
Kicked & Screamed to a SB Title

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 68,208

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
Elaborate!

The video points out that the LEDs are a stupid idea because they are not visible in sunlight. I disagree with that assessment, but that wasn't my point.

I was more pointing out that testing the LED function in a parking lot is more practical than a highway. If the LEDs dont work, just paint the parking grid on top of the glass as you would on asphalt.
you would be blocking part of the panels from the sun thus making that area non conductive as far as generating power goes. The paint defeats your purpose of generating electricity
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #71
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,462

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
you would be blocking part of the panels from the sun thus making that area non conductive as far as generating power goes. The paint defeats your purpose of generating electricity
I seriously doubt a 2" wide line every 6-8' is going to compromise power production - especially when you consider the lines are being painted in lieu of powering LEDs non stop.

For a parking lot in its entirety, parking space grid lines would cover what...2% of the entire surface?
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #72
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
Kicked & Screamed to a SB Title

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 68,208

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I seriously doubt a 2" wide line every 6-8' is going to compromise power production - especially when you consider the lines are being painted in lieu of powering LEDs non stop.

For a parking lot in its entirety, parking space grid lines would cover what...2% of the entire surface?

Do you work for the government?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #73
Kaylore
Super Bowl 50 Champions
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 49,394

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
Elaborate!

The video points out that the LEDs are a stupid idea because they are not visible in sunlight. I disagree with that assessment, but that wasn't my point.

I was more pointing out that testing the LED function in a parking lot is more practical than a highway. If the LEDs dont work, just paint the parking grid on top of the glass as you would on asphalt.
So you're going to paint over the solar panel? Fantastic idea.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #74
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer
 
SleepingTiger's Avatar
 
Ole J

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murphy TX
Posts: 2,130

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
It's insanely expensive. The entire budget of the US government wouldn't begin to cover the cost.
We don't know that. However, someone did state that the energy savings can offset some of the cost. The cost of solar panels are very expensive, it will be interesting how they can make it affordable

Quote:
The math doesn't add up. It couldn't produce nearly enough energy to melt snow like it promises.
Well, all you need is enough energy stored to raise the road a few degrees for the snow to melt. We are not talking about raising the road temp to 100F here.

Quote:
The material it is made of wouldn't be durable enough to withstand the stress of traffic.
you don't know that. they need to test the material further. as with all roads, they all require maintenance. However, maintenance cost should be cheaper and faster.

Quote:
The material wouldn't provide enough grip for speeding cars when wet.
asphalt is slippery when wet as well.

Quote:
The idea of solar powered parking lots makes no sense. The sun would be blocked by parked cars during the day and there is no sun at night.
maybe the solar panels will be on the driving lanes and not on the parking spot itself

Quote:
They also mention using this system to "power America" by using undergoround power lines. Well, underground powerlines cost ten times as much as the traditional method. And it would also create a redundant and less efficient power grid/highway system.
most power lines are ran underground these days.

Quote:
Asphalt is already recycled. This is one I can vouch for. One of my old friends used to manage a plant that did this for a company called Rogers Group.
we recycle glass as well. do i need to vouch for this?

Quote:
LED lights on roads makes no sense. They would be invisible during bright daylight hours. And having headlights on cars is much more efficient at night.
this is not your grandfathers LED. LED have progressed immensely this past several years. Look at some of the LED panels for advertisement, they are incredibly bright and does not fade out because of the sun. Look at LED headlights, they are brighter than the sun. I have no doubt LED technology will someday replace the halogen and fluorescent bulbs one day.
The LED's on my reef aquarium is so intense that i have to turn them down or risk bleaching "burning" my corals. The only negative on LED's is the cost. Replacing 8 par38 LED bulbs in my kitchen cost me over $200.

Quote:
It really is a pretty interesting video. makes me wish I paid more attention in science class.
i did, one of my best subject.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #75
Kaylore
Super Bowl 50 Champions
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 49,394

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
We don't know that. However, someone did state that the energy savings can offset some of the cost. The cost of solar panels are very expensive, it will be interesting how they can make it affordable
They can't, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Well, all you need is enough energy stored to raise the road a few degrees for the snow to melt. We are not talking about raising the road temp to 100F here.
That is a lot of drain. Even just a few amps over thousands of square miles of road would be strain on the grid. And remember they aren't contributing during this because it's freaking snowing outside so there is no sun to charge the heating elements in the panels. In major snow storms it would snow faster than a super hot element could handle anyway.


Quote:
you don't know that. they need to test the material further. as with all roads, they all require maintenance. However, maintenance cost should be cheaper and faster.
Yes he does know that. We know the properties of tempered glass. This isn't some magical new glass. I don't know if you're aware, but asphalt is actually soft and spongy. It has some give as far hard surfaces go and is easy on the wheel. It also pours so it can fill in odd shapes, groves and makes an uneven road even very easily. It's also cheap. And where are you getting that maintenance would be "cheaper and faster"? The panels would be incredibly expensive and you'd need to remove an entire piece of road. Right now they pour tar or just patch it. Even if it was some magical new glass, that would make it even more expensive.



Quote:
asphalt is slippery when wet as well.
It really isn't. And asphalt gets better grip as it is used unlike glass, which slowly becomes a black ice death trap.


Quote:
maybe the solar panels will be on the driving lanes and not on the parking spot itself
What about during rush hour? No light will get through because of cars bumper to bumper.


Quote:
most power lines are ran underground these days.
No.



Quote:
we recycle glass as well. do i need to vouch for this?
We don't typically recycle high performance tempered glass. It's construction is expensive.



Quote:
i did, one of my best subject.
Based on your responses, I am not seeing a correlation here. A lot of what you posted was not only false, but in some cases the opposite of reality.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Denver Broncos