The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default Great 'Elway the GM' article

To dominate the game with the football in your hand is a wondrous achievement. But to put down the ball and dominate the game with the pen in your hand is almost unthinkable.

Washed up stars are supposed to take jobs in which they wear makeup, crack jokes and slap backs. In some cases, they are allowed to be assistant coaches, or front-office men with small offices and smaller voices. Most accomplished players never even try to run a football team, or never are given the chance to try. Matt Millen gave it a shot. So did Larry Wilson. They did not exactly break down the door for others.

In the three years John Elway has been in charge, the Broncos have a .708 winning percentage and have made a Super Bowl appearance and three playoff appearances. What's more, he has operated with the kind of panache you would expect from the quarterback who engineered The Drive and led his team to two Super Bowl victories.

Elway is different. Just as he was a once in a generation quarterback, he is a once in a generation quarterback turned executive.

His office is situated in the middle of the Broncos facility between the football wing and the business wing. Elway had the walls to the entryway of his office torn down, and he replaced them with glass walls. This allowed a clear view from one end of the building to the other, and it also enabled everyone to see Elway's work area. His door is literally always open, and frequently an impromptu conversation is taking place there.

Full article at
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...office-success
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
extralife
Ring of Famer

I have no complaints about Elway the GM, but it's all a honeymoon until Peyton retires. Then we really get to see what he's made of. Does he get credit for snagging Manning? Certainly. But there won't be another Peyton out there to replace this one.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Great article.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Pride of the Rocky Mtns
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I have no complaints about Elway the GM, but it's all a honeymoon until Peyton retires. Then we really get to see what he's made of. Does he get credit for snagging Manning? Certainly. But there won't be another Peyton out there to replace this one.
Hopefully Denver wins the Super Bowl and Elway retires on top again.
Pride of the Rocky Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride of the Rocky Mtns View Post
lol Elway isn't retiring anytime in this decade.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115209
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Peyton is winding down his career. This is it right here, this year. It's obvious. Maybe if he doesn't try to do it all himself again they can win an SB. Dude got too full of himself, we'll see what happens this year . . . . .
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
Bronco Yoda

I never got why so many doubted Elway could do this. Some fans still do.

As if his 20 years as a college/Pro CEO wouldn't bring invaluable leadership abilities. As if his Dad being a coach and scout wouldn't account for anything. As if all the businesses that he not only owned, but had a hands on approach wouldn't prepare him for his position now. As if then taking all this life experience and running a professional football upstart wouldn't be the ultimate experience. And considering he's been a huge success in all these ventures... why wouldn't he be good at it? Everything in his life seems to have been pointing straight at what he's doing right now.

I would have been shocked if he wasn't an absolute slam dunk success at what he's doing now. He's had a lifetime of preparation with a running streak of success all the way!

He's perfectly suited for both the position and organization like few I've ever seen in the NFL. And he doesn't just love football or the job.... he loves the organization. Hell... he IS the organization in my book.

He's our very own Al Davis. Someone that lives and breaths the franchise!

Win or lose... that's more than good enough for me!

We are the envy of the league. And it's not just because Manning is behind center. It's because Elway is behind the wheel.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
I never got why so many doubted Elway could do this. Some fans still do.
John Fox said John Elway didn't know much and the consensus was, John Elway lacked the NFL experience of a GM. So it's easy to see why many doubted Elway. I'm sure Elway doubted himself many nights too.

But the stars aligned for Elway...and with hard work that's generally what happens.

Great article - shed a tear.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
John Fox said John Elway didn't know much and the consensus was, John Elway lacked the NFL experience of a GM. So it's easy to see why many doubted Elway. I'm sure Elway doubted himself many nights too.

But the stars aligned for Elway...and with hard work that's generally what happens.

Great article - shed a tear.
"Consensus" is just another term for a group of butt hurt blowhard talking heads that were envious that the golden boy was soaring ever higher. Obviously your "consensus" didn't know **** to begin with.

"Lacking experience". LMAO! Like many things in life... the only way you relly get direct 'experience' is by actually doing the job.

Now having the necessary qualities, temperament and skill set he already had in spades. I bet his learning curve was one of the shortest in NFL GM history.

Don't believe all the PR hype "... 'shucks golly-gee' simple-John made good in the big city didn't he" routine.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
"Consensus" is just another term for a group of butt hurt blowhard talking heads that were envious that the golden boy was soaring ever higher. Obviously your "consensus" didn't know **** to begin with.

"Lacking experience". LMAO! Like many things in life... the only way you relly get direct 'experience' is by actually doing the job.

Now having the necessary qualities, temperament and skill set he already had in spades. I bet his learning curve was one of the shortest in NFL GM history.

Don't believe all the PR hype "... 'shucks golly-gee' simple-John made good in the big city didn't he" routine.
John Elway said himself he still had much to learn when he took the position and he was pretty much fresh meat.

That was the reality... The reality of the situation was no mystery to anyone including John Elway.

The only difference was do you think Elway could succeed or not based on his leadership skills? And during that time period it's easy to see why people think he couldn't just purely based on history.

It's easy to say what you want now looking back but during that time it wasn't exactly the clearest thing John Elway would succeed... Don't forget the fact is he had great people around him already. I won't even get into why they were there to begin with
Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Kinda true but cant you say the same about other teams/GM's with top QB's?
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #13
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Elway will always be the cats meow to me....

He's done better than average at GM....really good in free agency. His drafts have been average. That's more to say about the front office and scout team he's assembled. We'll see how that pans out. Personally, I don't see Osweiler being the guy after PM and having spent a 2nd rounder is going to come off as a major gaff.

That being said...if they win a Championship with Manning....he will have proven himself to be elite once again!

Who knows...then perhaps they sign Big Ben! :-)
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
John Elway said himself he still had much to learn when he took the position and he was pretty much fresh meat.

It's easy to say what you want now looking back but during that time it wasn't exactly the clearest thing John Elway would succeed... Don't forget the fact is he had great people around him already. I won't even get into why they were there to begin with
I was the lone voice calling for Pat to Bring in Elway to take over after he hired McDip****. I took plenty of crap for it being viewed as a completely out of left field homer move that made little sense at the time.

So yah, I can say what I want now .
Old 04-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #15
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride of the Rocky Mtns View Post
This would be the funniest goddamn thing.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #16
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
This would be the funniest goddamn thing.
This one's for ME!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #17
Shananahan
Custom User Title

SCENE 1. Denver. A public place.

Enter John ELWAY, who needs no introduction, and Peyton MANNING, of the Denver Broncos, armed with the Vince Lombardi Trophy

MANNING

. ---to CAMERA

. --------First off, I'd like to thank the fans and the media for all their support. These past few years have been almost everything I expected and more.

ELWAY

. ---to MANNING

. --------Hell yeah. Not too shabby.

MANNING

. ---to CAMERA

. --------It's been an honor playing for the Broncos, but I'm here today to announce my retirement.

ELWAY

. ---to CAMERA

. --------I'm out, too. Later, bitches.

They high-five. Exeunt.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #18
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
I was the lone voice calling for Pat to Bring in Elway to take over after he hired McDip****. I took plenty of crap for it being viewed as a completely out of left field homer move that made little sense at the time.

So yah, I can say what I want now .
...Elway was not ready during that time period.