The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #251
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

WITH THE 248TH SELECTION IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT,
THE CINCINNATI BENGALS SELECT:

S VINNIE SUNSERI, ALABAMA

"I had an All-American year this year before I got hurt. I was a midseason All-American, I had great film.
All I could do is come back to another year and reimplement that, have another All-American year.
I just thought that I did enough this year to prove to professional teams
and prove to coaches that I was ready to take that next step
."

Short but Sweet.

COLLEGIATE PRODUCTION:
2011 (Freshman): 30 Tackles, 1 Pass Defended, 1 Forced Fumble
2012 (Sophomore): 54 Tackles, 6 Stuffs, 2 Sacks, 2 Interceptions, 3 Passes Defended.
2013 (Junior): (7 Games) 20 Tackles, 1 Stuff, 2 Interceptions, 4 Passes Defended.

COMBINE/PRO DAY MEASUREMENTS:

Size: 5'11, 210lbs. 30 Inch Arms, 10 Inch Hands.
40 Time: 4.48
225 Reps: 21

WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT SUNSERI:

"STRENGTHS: A virtual coach on the field. Highly instinctive defender who frequently points out formations, alerting teammates to potential play-calls.

Gritty. Attacks the line of scrimmage in run support, showing no hesitation to throw his body into the pile. Effective special teams player. Physical tackler who wraps his arms and brings his hips upon contact.

Alert in coverage. Keeps his eyes focused the quarterback and isn't afraid to jump routes. Good ball skills. Extends to pluck and has reliable hands."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...vinnie-sunseri

"By all accounts, Sunseri offered up an impressive performance for the NFL scouts in attendance, running unofficial 40-yard dash times of 4.48 and 4.52, showing strength in his knee during agility drills and bench pressing 225 pounds 21 times. This just five months and 20 days after his injury."

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...news/140409667

"A freshman season in which he found a niche as a hard hitter on special teams, a sophomore season in which he emerged as a reliable starter and an All-American-worthy first half to his junior year was viewed as sufficient.

"I had great film," said Sunseri, a projected fourth- or fifth-round pick. "All I could do is come back to another year and reimplement that, have another All-American year. I just thought that I did enough this year to prove to professional teams and prove to coaches that I was ready to take that next step."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/in...ion_to_go.html

WHY HE WAS DRAFTED AND HOW THE BENGALS WILL USE HIM:

Why:
Sunseri is a throwback player. He's tough as nails, as relentless as you can get, he has supernatural healing capability apparently, and he's a team leader that is also a student of the game. His dad is a coach as FSU. He's already one of the best special teams players in the country on coverage. He's a coach on the field at Safety, calling out plays and making his teammates get better. He's a big play guy with the ball in his hands, make two nice interception returns for touchdowns before he got hurt this past season. The one against Texas AM, in the video above, is epic. Manziel is still looking for his jock strap. Has excellent athleticism, strength, and incredible instincts. Was on track for a big Senior season before the injury.

Usage:
He'll primarily be a special teams demon at first while providing depth at Safety. He's scheme diverse in that he can play any Safety position, so we'll have an open competition each season letting the best man win. Reggie Nelson is in his 30s now and likely won't be retained following the expiration of his contract. A future Safety trio of George Iloka, Vinnie Sunseri, and Shawn Wiliams sounds good to me.

Rohirrim and the St. Louis Rams are now on the clock. Pick was made at 2:02 EST.

Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 04-18-2014 at 07:16 PM..
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #252
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

St. Louis Rams select:

Lonnie Ballentine, FS, Memphis
6'3", 219, 40: 4.35

Not familiar with Ballentine? You’re not alone. Although he has already met with a handful of teams including the Chiefs and Cardinals, Ballentine was left off of the NFL Scouting Combine invitee list. That didn’t deter him, though. Instead, he remained focused on maximizing his potential so when the opportunity arose, he would be ready. Ballentine committed himself to getting better and honing in on traditional Combine drills for his pro day at Bommarito Performance in North Miami Beach, Fla.

“Immaculate work ethic,” Pete Bommarito, owner and founder of Bommarito Performance, told FOXSports.com in a telephone interview. “Absolutely perfect. The hardest part about this process when you’re not a Combine invite and you see your ranking as a priority free agent is to be focused on every rep in front of you. You can’t be focused long term.

“There are two types that come in who don’t get invited to the NFL Combine: ones that make excuses and ones that go to work. Some players have it and some don’t, Lonnie has it.”
(Fox Sports)
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #253
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

For their final pick in the OM draft, the St. Louis Rams select:

Garrett Gilbert, QB, SMU
6'4", 221, 40: 4.81 (for the rest, see below)

Sometimes, even this deep into the NFL draft process, a prospect rises from seemingly out of nowhere. For me, that prospect this year is SMU quarterback Garrett Gilbert.

Now, I liked Gilbert before his pro day on Friday at SMU -- thought he was an underrated player who should have been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine in February. But his pro-day performance confirmed my thoughts.

In front of three NFL quarterback coaches (Bill Musgrave of the Eagles, Wade Wilson of the Cowboys and the Ravens' Rick Dennison) and representatives from 22 different NFL teams, Garrett completed 87 of 88 passes, and would have completed them all if he had Calvin Johnson catching the back-shoulder fade that hit the ground.

He looks like a bigger version of his father Gale, who played 11 seasons in the NFL (Gale remains the only player to play on five straight Super Bowl teams) with the Seahawks, Bills and Chargers. Garrett Gilbert measured 6-foot-3 7/8 on Friday and weighed 221 pounds. He ran the 40 in 4.81 and 4.83 seconds, had a 29.5-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-9 broad jump, ran the short shuttle in 4.43 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.30 seconds.
(Gil Brandt - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...fl-draft-stock)
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #254
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

WITH THE 251ST SELECTION IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT,

OT JUSTIN BRITT, MISSOURI

Finally, Lucchesi asked Britt what Mizzou has taught him that has helped him get to where he is now.

“To make no excuses,” Britt said. “I don’t make excuses. I just get it done.”

Missouri's 2013 Offensive Lineman of the Year

COMBINE/PRO DAY RESULTS:

Size: 6'6, 315lbs. 33 1/2" Arms, 10" Hands.
40 Time: 5.1
225 Reps: 26
Vertical: 29.5"
Broad: 9'3"
3 Cone: 7.59
20 Shuttle: 4.69

WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT BRITT:

"Solid build with a stout base and long torso. Quick enough to cut off the outside rush and give help where it is needed. Recognizes the blitz and displays good enough agility to adjust to movement. Good work ethic. Very good weight-room strength -- cleans nearly 400 pounds."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...itt?id=2543824

"Looks the part of today's prototypical left tackle, possessing impressive height, very long arms and a trim middle. Good initial quickness, especially as a run blocker, firing off the ball to turn and seal defenders from the action. Physical. Gets a strong initial shove on the opponent, which oftentimes is enough to knock them onto their heels. He has a wide base with good bend and flexibility in his kick-slide to keep the pocket clean. Plays with his knees bent, butt down and on the balls on his feet, giving him good balance. Slides well laterally to mirror defenders and uses his arm length and powerful shoves to keep opponents at bay. Good awareness and competitive spirit. Peels back to knock down unsuspecting defenders in pursuit of ball-carriers. Experienced left and right tackle and some view him as a potential guard convert due to his power and tenacity."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...8/justin-britt

"Britt was mostly a left tackle but has played other positions on the offensive line. He may be better as a right tackle early in his NFL career rather than a blind-side blocker. He has the versatility, quickness and athletic ability to play anywhere on the line. He has a great football IQ while his strength, size and quickness give him the ability to play in the NFL right away. With some work, Britt will be an NFL starter."

http://www.football.com/en-us/2014-s...-justin-britt/

"2014 SHRINE GAME: TOP-10 PROSPECTS TO WATCH: 10. OT Justin Britt, Missouri (6-6, 315, 5.28, #68)...After his junior season was ended by an ACL injury, Britt returned to the field and started all 14 games at left tackle for Missouri in 2013. He has a wide base with good bend and flexibility in his kickslide to protect the edge and keep the pocket clean. Britt isn't the strongest, but his shuffle and smarts are NFL quality."

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...=2014&genpos=C

Why:
An ALL-SEC Left Tackle with excellent size and top level multi-year production slipping to the 7th Round is enough on its own. Has starting experience at both OT positions to great success. Also has played at OG. His 2012 ACL tear is in the rear view mirror. Has excellent leadership abilities and won awards for such at Missouri. Big time gym rat, though still room to increase upper body strength. Technically sound and NFL ready.

Usage:
The Bengals recently lost all-world swing tackle Anthony Collins and we expect Britt to step into those shoes for several years. If in that time he shows he can handle LT in the NFL, then when Whitworth retires, we'll have our guy. If he's a RT, we can use him after Andre Smith's next contract is up. He also can chip in at OG in a pinch. We view him as a very valuable super reserve at every position but OC, and we'll probably work on that too.

Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 04-18-2014 at 07:45 PM..
Old 04-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #255
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Default 7-38 (253)

The Atlanta Falcons select:

Prince Shembo, LB, Notre Dame
6-1 / 253 LBS.

BOTTOM LINE Thickly built, high-motor, highly competitive edge defender who projects best as a left outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. Lacks desirable dimensions, flexibility and finishing speed, but has more than enough play strength, tenacity and toughness to compensate.

Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #256
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

WITH THE 252ND SELECTION IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT,

OG MATT PATCHAN, BOSTON COLLEGE

Why should an NFL team draft you? Patchan: “I’m an energy-giver and quite honestly,
I’m a gorgeous dude, you know, so I’d be the face of every poster and magazine they’ve got in their town.”

VERY ATHLETIC COMBINE/PRO DAY RESULTS:

Size: 6'6, 305lbs. 32" Arms, 9" Hands.
40 Time: 4.97
225 Reps: 22
Vertical: 33.5"
Broad: 9'5"
3 Cone: 7.45
20 Shuttle: 4.63

PATCHAN'S ADVERSITY (You think you've had it bad)

Patchan basically was a walking X-ray in his time at Florida. He played defensive tackle as a true freshman in 2008 (how long ago was that? Tim Tebow was a junior at UF that season), making seven tackles. He moved back to his more natural position of offensive tackle in '09 but played in only four games before he suffered a torn ACL in practice. He missed the 2010 season with a fractured wrist, then was relatively healthy and started seven times in 2011 at right tackle. But he missed last season with a strained pectoral muscle. During his Florida career, he also was shot (in a drive-by shooting at a park in his hometown of Tampa) and involved in two scooter accidents in Gainesville, including getting hit by a car.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...boston-college

WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT PATCHAN:

"For his part, Addazio raves about both Patchan’s ability and dependability.

“Well, with him I know exactly what I’m going to get on game day,” the coach said. “He’s going to be at competitive excellence. What you call competitive excellence is when your number is called, you’re going to make your play.

“Everyone is different. Some guys can do it on Monday but sometimes under the bright lights on Saturday they find a way to cave under the pressure of the whole thing. With Patchan I know exactly what I’m going to get -- a hard, physical-playing guy. That’s what I’m going to get.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/colle...y-to-go-for-bc

"Matt Patchan was a consensus top-50 player and a consensus top-five offensive tackle nationally in the 2008 recruiting class, sharing space in the tackle rankings with Matt Kalil (fourth overall pick in the 2012 draft), Tyron Smith (ninth overall pick in the 2011 draft) and Mike Adams (second-round pick in the 2012 draft).

And if Patchan can stay healthy, NFL teams could take notice. In that 2008 recruiting class filled with tackles now starting in the NFL, Patchan was considered as athletic as any of them. He was extremely mobile, had great size and a large wingspan and played with a mean streak."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...boston-college

"Patchan found stability in the fall with the Eagles and coach Steve Addazio, a Florida offensive assistant for Patchan's first three seasons there. He started all 13 games at left tackle, helping a program that went 2-10 in 2012 become a 7-6 bowl team and Andre Williams rush for 2,177 yards and 18 scores.

"He's been very, very productive," Addazio told the Boston Globe in November. "He's got a tremendous demeanor. He was a guy who had been around national championships. So he could come in here, in a nonboastful kind of way, and give some good perspective."

Patchan dabbled a little bit of everywhere this past season — "left tackle, right tackle, fullback, tight end, wide receiver," he said."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footb...r-bowl/2162619

Why:
A 5 Star recruit out of high school that has been dominant when he's been healthy but has been beset by bad luck and a few serious injuries. A superb O-line prospect that is ultra aggressive and physical, can play any position on the O-line except OC. One of the most athletic O-linemen in the draft and can chip in at FB and TE, and of course, the Tackle eligible plays near the goal line. His three main injuries, his torn pec, his ACL, and his broken wrist are all completely healed 100%. He made it through this season at LT at BC injury free and was the key person behind Andre Williams' emergence. Has an outstanding personality and is a very mature due to his adversity. The fact he has stuck to his dreams of playing football through it all speaks loudly to his determination.

Usage:
The Bengals want to use him at LG and hopefully teach him some OC, where we have some job openings and depth questions. His athletic ability will be superb at pulling and his natural aggressiveness and toughness will only help. He can provide emergency depth through out the O-line as well. Due to his short arms, his days at OT are probably in the rear view except in a pinch. In the locker room, his zany personality and dedication to the game will be of great value and influence on the rest of the guys. This is a guy you have to root for, he's funny, he works hard, he's intelligent, but he's had the worst luck in the world. The talent and physical gifts have never been in question as anything short of elite. Hopefully, the bad luck is behind him.

Arkie and the Atlanta Falcons are on the clock, Pick made at 3:03 PM EST.

Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 04-18-2014 at 08:37 PM..
Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #257
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

WITH THE 254TH SELECTION IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT,

DE DEVON KENNARD, USC

“This is a childhood dream, its something I’ve wanted to do for as long as I can remember.
I’m driven and I want get to a team and help my team win. I want to win a Super Bowl.
I want to earn my team and my coaches’ respect by the way I play on a day-to-day basis.”

Nice game tape. 2 Sacks, nice pass defense, sheds some blocks to make tackles.

COLLEGIATE STATS:
2009 (Freshman) DE: 34 Tackles, 2 Stuffs, 3 Passes Defended, 1 Forced Fumble.
2010 (Sophomore) ILB: 72 Tackles, 7 Stuffs, 2 Sacks, 1 Interception, 1 Pass Defended.
2011 (Junior) DE: 29 Tackles, 4 Stuffs, 2 Sacks.
2013 (Senior) OLB: 60 Tackles, 13 Stuffs, 9 Sacks, 4 Passes Defended

COMBINE/PRO DAY RESULTS:

Size: 6'3, 250 lbs. 33 3/8 Arms, 9 3/8 Hands
40 Time: 4.7
225 Reps: 23
Vertical: 30"
Broad: 9'5
3 Cone: 7.25
20 Shuttle: 4.32

WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT KENNARD:

"Well-proportioned, muscular build. Generally plays on his feet. Can drop into short zones. Good tackler. Has played outside linebacker, middle linebacker and defensive end. Smart and tough. Team captain with outstanding intangibles, including leadership traits and a professional approach."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ard?id=2543869

"USC thrived under Clancy Pendergast’s system, especially Kennard, who led the team in sacks (nine) and overall had his best season in 2013. "This defense allowed me to do more. It allowed me to stand up and see more into the situation. It required more of me, so I got to show my talents and more of what I could do,” he said. “I can drop back in coverage, rush the passer and get some sacks. I definitely think outside linebacker is the best position for me.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nything-in-nfl

Devon Kennard is one of the most electrifying defensive players we have in this year's draft. The main thing that makes him so exciting to watch is that he is capable of playing multiple positions on defense, which to me raises his stock based on his versatility. At the University of Southern California he even has seen some time at middle linebacker. Many football scouts project him to be a defensive end in the NFL in a 4-3 defense.

Kennard's main strength in his ongoing ability to stop the run. Initially, he shows that he can indeed hold and his ground very well. He uses his leverage consistently to his own advantage. May become a polished linebacker in the making if he falls to the right system.

http://nfldraftinsiders.net/articles...kennard-usc--2

WHY HE WAS DRAFTED AND WHERE THE BENGALS WILL USE HIM:

Why:
The why is easy, he was the highest rated player remaining on the Bengals draft board, with a grade in the early 5th round. We're in the business of taking talent at the end of the draft regardless of position. When he came out of High School, he was one of the highest recruits in the entire nation. He never really lived up to that at USC, but that was largely due to constant coaching and positional changes. His versatility is part of what makes him an enticing prospect as he is scheme diverse. He's also a team leader and intelligent as he makes top grades. He has good athleticism and provides excellent depth to our football team at DE and OLB.

USAGE:
He's similar in a lot of ways to Trevor Reilly, both can play SAM LB in a 43 and both can be used at DE. The difference is that I think Kennard can be more effective at DE, while Reilly really should stay at SAM LB. Kennard can fit in as quality depth at both positions though, be a positive locker room presence, and contribute on special teams.

Arkie and the Atlanta Falcons are now on the clock. Pick made at 3:19 EST.

Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 04-18-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #258
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Default 7-40 (255)

The Atlanta Falcons select:

Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
6-1 / 254 LBS.

BOTTOM LINE An old-school fullback with explosive power to pave the way as an iso-lead blocker and enough speed and athletic ability to carve a niche as a core special-teams performer. Valuable pass protector with good hands and short-yardage running power to contribute when needed.

Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #259
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

With the final selection in the 2014 NFL Draft. The Houston Texans are proud to select Andre Hal, CB from Vanderbilt.

Andre Hal is the 2014 OM Mr. Irrelevant!

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: