The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #1426
Broncojef
Ring of Famer
 
Broncojef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
I prefer to trade back given the depth of this draft.

He could move to LG but with adding Montgomery, it might of lessened his shot to move to G.

Not really sure where Shazier would play if we got him.
Shazier is a thumper, a hard hitting LB quick to the point of attack with lesser outside movement. He'd be in the middle right?
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #1427
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
I prefer to trade back given the depth of this draft.

He could move to LG but with adding Montgomery, it might of lessened his shot to move to G.

Not really sure where Shazier would play if we got him.
He's best when chasing plays down from the back side. I don't love his instincts, and I question him holding up in the middle.

He would be a great WLB and subpackage LB. Not sold on him at MLB.

Hopefully Montgomery is the back up Center Guard. But with Clark, Justice, Painter, Franklin, there's lots of competition at RT.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #1428
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Shazier is a thumper, a hard hitting LB quick to the point of attack with lesser outside movement. He'd be in the middle right?
You must have the wrong prospect. He can thump, he's not a two down thumper, he's a run and hit kind of guy, who is quick sideline to sideline.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #1429
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Shazier is a thumper, a hard hitting LB quick to the point of attack with lesser outside movement. He'd be in the middle right?
Shazier is more playmaking swarmer than thumper.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #1430
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
I'm partial to Zumwalt or Bullough for MLB if we don't get Mosley.
With that said. I would rather just have Mosley and call it a position.
Neither of those guys offer anything that Nate Irving doesn't already have.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #1431
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Jones, Telvin Smith, Tripp, Pierre-Louis
Pierre-Louis - 6th rounder, not enough college production to step in and start from day 1. Not an impact player. Would you trust him on a Superbowl run? I wouldn't. Trevathan was a MUCH better player coming into the NFL, and only had 33 tackles as a rookie.

Telvin Smith - 6'3 and 218, built like a WR. Could develop in a couple years. We don't have that long.

Jordan Tripp - Who the heck knows? From his 5 minutes of game video I've managed to find, he doesn't appear to take angles very well. That's all I got.

Howard Jones - Played DE for Div. II Shepherd. I don't think I need to go any further.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #1432
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 16,904

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Jones, Telvin Smith, Tripp, Pierre-Louis
The only one out of that 4 that has any shot at a MLB gig in a base 4-3 is Tripp. Jones is more SLB or a 3-4 inside backer, Smith is going to find it difficult to find a LB job in the NFL let alone MLB and Pierre-Louis is a WLB only IMHO. None of them bar Tripp has the size and athleticism never mind the signal calling intelligence to play the position.

You're basically looking at the crop of Mosley, Shazier (at a stretch), Borland, Smallwood, Tripp, Bullough, then a few late guys. One to keep an eye on that is climbing boards is Brock Coyle (Montana).
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #1433
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 16,904

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Pierre-Louis - 6th rounder, not enough college production to step in and start from day 1. Not an impact player. Would you trust him on a Superbowl run? I wouldn't. Trevathan was a MUCH better player coming into the NFL, and only had 33 tackles as a rookie.

Telvin Smith - 6'3 and 218, built like a WR. Could develop in a couple years. We don't have that long.

Jordan Tripp - Who the heck knows? From his 5 minutes of game video I've managed to find, he doesn't appear to take angles very well. That's all I got.

Howard Jones - Played DE for Div. II Shepherd. I don't think I need to go any further.
Think he meant Christian Jones.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:12 AM   #1434
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
The only one out of that 4 that has any shot at a MLB gig in a base 4-3 is Tripp. Jones is more SLB or a 3-4 inside backer, Smith is going to find it difficult to find a LB job in the NFL let alone MLB and Pierre-Louis is a WLB only IMHO. None of them bar Tripp has the size and athleticism never mind the signal calling intelligence to play the position.

You're basically looking at the crop of Mosley, Shazier (at a stretch), Borland, Smallwood, Tripp, Bullough, then a few late guys. One to keep an eye on that is climbing boards is Brock Coyle (Montana).
Subpackage coverage LBs in Nickel that we can draft not MLBs.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:23 AM   #1435
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Pierre-Louis - 6th rounder, not enough college production to step in and start from day 1. Not an impact player. Would you trust him on a Superbowl run? I wouldn't. Trevathan was a MUCH better player coming into the NFL, and only had 33 tackles as a rookie.

Telvin Smith - 6'3 and 218, built like a WR. Could develop in a couple years. We don't have that long.

Jordan Tripp - Who the heck knows? From his 5 minutes of game video I've managed to find, he doesn't appear to take angles very well. That's all I got.

Howard Jones - Played DE for Div. II Shepherd. I don't think I need to go any further.
Subpackage LBs need to do what they do best, cover. There's no reason to suggest that Tripp, Pierre-Louis, or Telvin Smith couldn't do so. Especially not from their projected round, or light in the pants size. And I was talking about Christian Jones of FSU. He has fluid footwork and is solid in coverage.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #1436
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Subpackage LBs need to do what they do best, cover. There's no reason to suggest that Tripp, Pierre-Louis, or Telvin Smith couldn't do so. Especially not from their projected round, or light in the pants size. And I was talking about Christian Jones of FSU. He has fluid footwork and is solid in coverage.
Got it. So far I have:

1. Ryan Shazier/CJ Mosley - Instant impact half-field LB's.
2. Jordan Tripp - Decent production and athleticism, not enough video to properly evaluate.
3. Avery Williamson - Not as good as Wood or Trev in college, could become adequate starter. Probably not an impact player.
4. Kevin Pierre-Louis - Would consider as a last-resort consolation prize.
5. Max Bullough/Christian Jones - Not sure they are any better than Nate Irving in Nickel.

Would be highly excited about the first two, and have massive question marks about the rest. Why not go get an impact guy, since there are no obvious other holes to fill?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #1437
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

This is good football talk, more importantly it's about potential Broncos.

I don't want to see a wasted draft pick on a two down thumper. I truly think Irving or a free agent (Pat Angerer) could handle that. We need either a three down MLB which is rare, otherwise we need another coverage LB for nickel.

Now, if that coverage player can handle being a three down Mike, that's great, or if he can grow into that role over time, perfect! But as I see it, we need a coverage LB no matter what.

Now let's identify the different types of LBs, and project their round.

Three Down MLB:
Mosley Round 1
*And he's the only one I see as a true 3 down MLB right away.

Potential Three Down MLB:

Shazier Round 1
*We know he'd be dynamite in subpackages, could he hold up at MLB?

Van Noy Round 1-2
*His football instincts are incredible, always flashing and making plays. Because he can pass rush, his coverage ability is over looked, it's a strength, but could he play MLB?

Christian Jones Round 3
*Much like Van Noy he showed ability to pass rush, but he's a fluid athlete, solid in coverage, but could he play MLB?

Jordan Tripp Round ?
*Theres so little to go off of, we know like Shazier he can cover, could he hold up at MLB?

After that your looking at two categories.
Coverage LBs:

Telvin Smith and Pierre Louis
*These guys would be platoon players, who's job is to play Nickel D.

Maybe Three Down LBs:

Borland, Smallwood, Barrow, Zumwalt, Williams, and Divitto
*Guys who have played inside and outside, aren't exceptional coverage players, but are competent there. May or may not be long term three down MLBs?
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #1438
SpringStein
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monument, CO
Posts: 2,785
Default

Curious what anyone's take on Smallwood?
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #1439
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,102

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
Curious what anyone's take on Smallwood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkFdlZSg2ys
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #1440
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep
 
BroncosfanGuy's Avatar
 
Big Fan

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Christian Jones - Not sure they are any better than Nate Irving in Nickel.
I think Jones is much better in coverage
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #1441
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
Curious what anyone's take on Smallwood?
I think he falls into that category of played MLB, but leaves some to be desired in his game. I think his stats are misleading and I think he's a drag tackler.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #1442
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
I think Jones is much better in coverage
Agreed. Because he played some DE/OLB he'd labeled a SOLB. I think he's intriguing.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #1443
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,534

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
This is good football talk, more importantly it's about potential Broncos.

I don't want to see a wasted draft pick on a two down thumper. I truly think Irving or a free agent (Pat Angerer) could handle that.
Yup
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #1444
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Yup
Coverage LB is what we really need.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #1445
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

With Clady, Vazques, ManRam, Franklin, Clark, and Montgomery a rookie isn't going to start unless we get some injuries. With those 6 guys we are basically two deep at every position.

Positions that I see having potential impact from a rookie this year are: CB, FS, MLB, and maybe DE or RB.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #1446
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

The fact that we have heard nothing from pat angerer indicates to me he may have nothing left.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #1447
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
The fact that we have heard nothing from pat angerer indicates to me he may have nothing left.
Well he had several teams interested from a report on rotoworld. He's not fully healthy yet.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #1448
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
With Clady, Vazques, ManRam, Franklin, Clark, and Montgomery a rookie isn't going to start unless we get some injuries. With those 6 guys we are basically two deep at every position.

Positions that I see having potential impact from a rookie this year are: CB, FS, MLB, and maybe DE or RB.
You agree with me on the offensive line, but some of the other positions, by impact you mean from being role players right?

I don't see a DE starting over Ware on the weak side or Wolfe/Malik on the strong side.

A Rookie RB is not starting in a PFM offense.

A Rookie CB is not beating out Talib/Harris.

Agree with FS and MLB. But a rookie could be impactful in a back-up or situational type role.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #1449
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
You agree with me on the offensive line, but some of the other positions, by impact you mean from being role players right?

I don't see a DE starting over Ware on the weak side or Wolfe/Malik on the strong side.

A Rookie RB is not starting in a PFM offense.

A Rookie CB is not beating out Talib/Harris.

Agree with FS and MLB. But a rookie could be impactful in a back-up or situational type role.
Yes, role players. Elway has done a masterful job to ensure that there are no holes on the team prior to draft.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #1450
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

Put me in the camp that would like Van Noy to be a bronco.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Denver Broncos