The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Nickstixx
NFL mock draft winner '13

Picture won't post...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default Draft Day

So I just went to the movies this weekend and saw another preview for Draft Day. Is anyone else as excited as I am to see this? Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but it seems like if could be a fun movie to see. I just hope they don't go mega cheesy and do something stupid that real GM's would never do.
Nickstixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

It looks interesting but normally hollywood screws up sports movies unless it's based upon a true story.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I'll go to it for sure.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Costner usually does a good job in these types of movies. Plus, there have been some quality sports flicks lately with Moneyball and Trouble with the Curve.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Costner usually does a good job in these types of movies. Plus, there have been some quality sports flicks lately with Moneyball and Trouble with the Curve.
Both of those movies were excellent, as was 42.
But outside of Brian's Song,Gridiron gang and Any Given Sunday what movies based on football have been good?

Last edited by Lestat; 03-31-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Nickstixx

Picture won't post...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Both of those movies was excellent, as was 42.
But outside of Brian's Song,Gridiron gang and Any Given Sunday what movies based on football have been good?
Remember The Titans
Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Nickstixx

Picture won't post...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
I agree, I am expecting to be like the Moneyball for football. I am going to see it right after the first round is over!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickstixx View Post
Remember The Titans
Oh crap! I completely forgot about that. I love that movie.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Damn, I also forgot Jerry Maguire
Old 03-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I agree, I am expecting to be like the Moneyball for football. I am going to see it right after the first round is over!
It comes out like a month before the draft, why wait so long?

I kind of envision it as a mix between Moneyball and Jerry Maguire. I'm expecting a good movie, nothing phenomenal.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
NorthernistCaliforneeway7
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Definitley want to check this out.
NorthernistCaliforneeway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
Nickstixx

Picture won't post...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
It comes out like a month before the draft, why wait so long?

I kind of envision it as a mix between Moneyball and Jerry Maguire. I'm expecting a good movie, nothing phenomenal.
Oh really? I've been thinking that it comes out on the actual Draft Day this whole time! Dang... Why did I think that?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:01 PM   #13
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Oh really? I've been thinking that it comes out on the actual Draft Day this whole time! Dang... Why did I think that?
It's the name.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #14
Nickstixx

Picture won't post...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
It's the name.
Lol yeah, I just thought it was part of their marketing scheme. That's what I would have done at least. But I guess it gets guys like us who can't go another month without something happening in football something to go and do.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Jennifer Garner I'll watch
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #16
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Heading out now to catch this opening night. Will write up a non-spoiler review later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #17
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Movie was really good. A little slow setting it up in the first half, but it finishes strong. There's no football action in this movie, it's about draft day only and counts down the hours. It centers on what the one GM (Costner) has to go through on draft day with trades, owner influence, coach disagreements, interns, capologist, and his interactions with some draft prospects and researching them. I'd say it's EXTREMELY similar to Moneyball (baseball front office movie), and it's a really good movie if you're into the GM dynamic or a fan of the draft. Solid B+. Will buy on DVD.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #18
Nickstixx

Picture won't post...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Awesome man, I'm going to see it this weekend. I have been looking forward to it. Glad to hear that you thought it was good.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #19
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

its not out for another month, dont let MUG fool you!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #20
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Lots of reviews are in, pretty unanimous, this is a good movie. Most critics like it, and most fans that went and saw it like it. I'm going to take my oldest daughter and go back again, I think it might introduce some of the draft day magic to her.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #21
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Holy Christ was this movie silly.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Apparently MUG's suspension of disbelief is much greater than mine.

The best thing you can say about this movie, once you forgive its near-total abandonment of logic, realism and believable characters, is that it's sorta about football.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #23
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

It's not just my opinion, it's the general consensus of film critics and fans, at least so far. You're in the minority if you didn't like the movie. Rotten Tomatoes consolidates all the reviews from the top movie critics and then polls the fans as well, it's probably the most trusted review site there is http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/draft_day/ .

That being said, I get where your opinion is coming from. And I would suggest maybe I'm just biased because they made a movie about my favorite hobby/concept in the world. Except, the movie is a hit, even with people that aren't hardcore draft fans. Mostly because Costner crushes it and the story centers around a person's internal conflict against external pressures and everyone can relate to that. There absolutely was some silliness, but my theatre was jacked up at the end of the movie. I left feeling good and that it was well worth the money.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #24
Shananahan
Custom User Title

I'm familiar with Rotten Tomatoes. A 61% (currently) on RT is lukewarm to mediocre. I'm also aware that for the most part, the film is getting OK reviews. That's because it's steady, predictable, safe, isn't terribly made, has a little something for everyone and ends happily. I guess I consider one or two of those things as the bare minimum and the rest of them unimportant.

There's plenty to nitpick about the movie if you entirely remove the mechanics of the draft, but on the whole it's not terrible in all the basic ways. Jennifer Garner's character and plotline was ridiculous and unnecessary, and her performance was hilariously, nonexistently bad. The majority of the other characters are paper-thin and the introduction and portrayal of a few key ones basically tells you exactly how the movie is going to play out. The city intros (_________ - Home of the _________) were borderline insulting for a movie that claimed to be catering to hardcore fans of the topic. Etc, etc.

Where this movie bombed (and didn't even seem interested in trying) was in its treatment of the draft. It constructed an unrealistic plotline around a few key players and then neglected everything about the draft that it was unable to warp and distort in order for the storyline to play out. It kinda blows my mind that you were able to enjoy it because of this, MUG, seeing as how interested you are in the mock draft and in tracking the accuracy thereof. I mean if somebody didn't know any better prior to watching this film, they might just leave the theater under the impression that it's possible or a team to, say, trade its 39th pick in the draft (presumably) and its second-round pick the following two years for the #6 pick in the entire draft (where a blue-chip, franchise QB sits for the taking). Hell, they might even leave the theater willing to believe that team could then turn around and swap the #6 pick for the #7 in exchange for that team's first-round pick the following two year. Costner crushes it, all right.

I wanted to enjoy it, but I just don't see the point in making a movie about something so specific if you're not going to treat that subject realistically.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #25
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

*POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT*

Without getting into the specifics too greatly, I thought the trades were realistic in theory, if a little extreme. 3 seconds for a Top 10 pick is something I think some teams would do, especially with so many underclassmen coming out lately due to draft wage slotting. But it's definitely towards the extreme end. The Pats traded away their 1st for years amassing future 2nd rounders. 3 1sts for a franchise QB like Luck is a no-brainer, we saw Washington almost do that for Griffin. So, I'm fine with that. Steep price, but fair if it's Luck or Manning. Now, the way it all shakes out and the final trade is a total Hollywood deal, but damned if I didn't enjoy it, the people in the theatre getting rowdy made it great too. I love opening nights.

Agree on Garner, outside of setting up the intern for some awkward laughs, and giving Costner another thing to really stress about, that story arc was lackluster. The mother story arc was too. Would have liked to have seen more football stuff, but they really wanted to build up all the external pressures they could on the GM.

I enjoyed the bickering and camaraderie of the coaching staff. I actually thought Leary did a good job. I thought Costner was amazing, not Oscar worthy like Pitt, but close. His best movie in years. I thought the three main prospects were played well, loved the James Brown guy as Mack. Thought the QB prospect guy was perfect projecting something being just a little off. I loved the GM phone calls. I've done a lot of negotiating in sales and law, and I thought that was incredibly realistic with how extreme personalities can get when pushing a settlement or deal. I mean, they just nailed how that really goes down.

I can't say I left the theatre thinking the movie was 100% realistic. So, I agree with you there. But I did feel some of the parts were spot on. I believed in Costner's GM, the prospects were believable, the GM calls were believable, the intern was hilarious and believable, Leary was believable as coach, the owner was believable as a Jerry Jones or Daniel Snyder type. They did a flawless job capturing fan unrest and optimism, talk radio, and the pressures of trying to please people that want the splashy pick. The emotions of the prospects as the draft unfolded were believable and spot on, we've seen that in real life. I think 90% of the movie was believable. Only the one trade at the end was clearly nuts, even though they did try and explain why it made sense, and that explanation was valid, if reaching. So, yeah, I guess maybe we disagree that it wasn't realistic. I feel like it was very accurate for the most part.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: