The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #51
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Remember at the 'Sky is falling' reactions to the pick.
It was more along the lines of "Who the hell is this guy?"
"Why the **** did we take a projected 7th round pick in the 3rd?" "This guy is a S, why the heck did we announce him as a CB?"
"Elway really screwed this up and panicked."
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #52
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
It was more along the lines of "Who the hell is this guy?"
"Why the **** did we take a projected 7th round pick in the 3rd?" "This guy is a S, why the heck did we announce him as a CB?"
"Elway really screwed this up and panicked."
Hope he has a great sophomore season we need him
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #53
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Remember at the 'Sky is falling' reactions to the pick.
I do. I must admit I wasn't familiar with him other than he was a physical corner with speed. I don't geek out on the draft like some others so I'm not familiar prospects at all positions.

Became a fan early on when I figured out it was him laying the big hits in the secondary. Brings a much needed toughness to the CB position.
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #54
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BRONCO View Post
I don't really understand this argument in this particular instance. Maybe if he had less than 100 carries I might buy into it dropping but I think the sample size is big enough to draw a reasonable conclusions other than his YPC automatically dropping. There were plenty of things he improved along the way as referenced by his improved production from the start of the season to the end.

One could argue that his YPC will go up just as effectively as the it going down. There are loads of players who's YPC got higher as the game went on.

I think the comparison to Lacy can be explained pretty simply- his lack of carries.

Even if you buy into the theory that Balls YPC will go down, given the same amount of touches he would have easily been on pace for over 1K.

284 touches at 4.7= 1334 yards Heck, even if you drop half a yard off of Balls YPC he would still come out ahead over Lacy.

Add in that he had the second highest YPC and YAC the second half of the season I think we may have something here....
I just don't buy into the YPC stat, unless it's a guy who's carried a full workload. (250 carries plus) But if we are going to put so much emphasis into that statistic, someone needs to alert the Patriots and let them know they let an elite, game changing stud go in Lagarrette Blount (153 carries for 772 yards, 5.0 YPC). Not to mention, Donald Brown (102 carries, 537 yards with a 5.3 YPC). Anyone here taking those guys over Lacy? Didn't think so. Time will tell how Ball and Lacy's careers go, but spare me from the silly YPC stuff.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #55
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
I just don't buy into the YPC stat, unless it's a guy who's carried a full workload. (250 carries plus) But if we are going to put so much emphasis into that statistic, someone needs to alert the Patriots and let them know they let an elite, game changing stud go in Lagarrette Blount (153 carries for 772 yards, 5.0 YPC). Not to mention, Donald Brown (102 carries, 537 yards with a 5.3 YPC). Anyone here taking those guys over Lacy? Didn't think so. Time will tell how Ball and Lacy's careers go, but spare me from the silly YPC stuff.
Blounts a hell of a runner but that's about it- not a good receiver and pass protection is spotty. Don't know too much about Brown other than he played his way to a new contract. The two of which were great values last year a the position.

YPC isn't everything but it's certainly an indicator. Same as YAC. Silly not to consider it when evaluating a player. He already passed my eye ball test when watching him the latter part of the year- it's nice to have hard numbers confirm it sometimes tho....

Last edited by 91BRONCO; 04-10-2014 at 01:48 PM..
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #56
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BRONCO View Post
Blounts a hell of a runner but that's about it- not a good receiver and pass protection is spotty. Don't know too much about Brown other than he played his way to a new contract. The two of which were great values last year a the position.

YPC isn't everything but it's certainly an indicator. Same as YAC. Silly not to consider it when evaluating a player. He already passed my eye ball test when watching him the latter part of the year- it's nice to have hard numbers confirm it sometimes tho....
Donald Brown was severely overpaid. I think people are taking my view the wrong way. I think Ball absolutely showed signs of what he will bring to the table. My posts were simply regarding Ball vs Lacy, not Balls future being bleak in Denver. It won't be.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #57
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
At this point I think you'd be hard pressed to find a non broncos that wouldn't look at the two picks and declare Lacy the better of the pair.

I think the injury concerns scared Elway off.
No biggie it's not like I think I knew better. I probably just wanted Lacy there during draft because he was more well known.

We will see how this yr goes.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #58
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

You can't compare what Lacy did last yr to Moreno or Ball. After Rodgers went down he faced a lot of extra defenders in at the LOS.

Lacy runs as hard as any rb around right now IMO. I think worrying about injuries is sort of a non issue until it happens. Any player can get injured.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote