The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
orinjkrush
...
 
orinjkrush's Avatar
 
Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: FrontRangeAbove8500ft
Posts: 5,269

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland
Default Stupid Bowl Redux

I don't know why, but I had to re-watch the fricking Stupid Bowl. I guess I can't get enough of DENVER losing epic-ally in Stupid Bowls. Count 'em.....are we up to FIVE now?

Anyhow. From my amateur armchair I decided to count up what I think are clear mistakes just in the first quarter. So, re-watch and enjoy:

MISTAKE #1: FOX: team is clearly not ready for loud stadium noise. and also sorta lackadaisical, according to inside sources.

MISTAKE #2: HOLIDAY. returns to the 12? Way to go Flash. Return it to the Hudson River.

MISTAKE #3: MANNING. HELLO. Its LOUD out there. Let's AUDIBLE! Score 0-2.

MISTAKE #4: AYERS. No contain on YOUR SIDE? Score 0-5.

MISTAKE #5: FRANKLIN. Totally b**** owned. Manning freaks.

MISTAKE #6: AYERS. No contain on a 3rd and 8? Dude. Seriously. Need a contract?

MISTAKE #7: BAILEY. Way to contain Baldwin on a 3rd and 4. Chump.

MISTAKE #8: BAILEY. On Harvin. Carves YOUR meat Bailey.

MISTAKE #9: AYERS. Contain? What exactly is a RDE supposed to do?

MISTAKE #10: BAILEY. On Baldwin AGAIN. Dude, you need Viagra.
r
MISTAKE #11: FOX. A challenge? Not like you're 1-7 for challenges this year?

MISTAKE #12: Nope. IRVING for the SAVE!! Woohoo! Score 0-8.

MISTAKE #14: MORENO. Nice fumble and recovery by unnamed Jaguars left guard.

MISTAKE #15: MANNING. FRANKLIN owned. BEADLES & CLARK b****-slapped. Manning freaks Julius Thomas is late and INT for Seattle.

MISTAKE #16: AYERS. No contain on HARVIN on your side. JEEZUS.

MISTAKE #17: FOX. Broncos staggered, against the ropes, listless, punch-drunk. And the coaches are, are.........where are they?

END of Quarter. Bronco Offense= 11 yards. Greatest of all time??

Replacing AYERS with WARE and BAILEY with ? will hopefully fix some of these problems. But what about the others? Let the feeding frenzy begin....
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
itswutz4dinna
Pro Bowler
 
itswutz4dinna's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 672

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I'll never have the stomach to watch again but I always wondered what the deal was with the intentional grounding on Wilson that didn't get called right before he burned Champ. Since I didn't see anyone complaining about it I figured it must have been legit but then again you can't really complain about one call in a blowout. But I'm guessing they decided there was a receiver in the area? Because it was about 7 yards short of the LOS.
itswutz4dinna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #3
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 10,115
Default

If there was nothing else that Dumervil and Miller did against the Ravens, it was outside contain, and they played it beautifully. Hopefully with Ware and Miller, that will once again be a source of strength. Don't forget TJ Ward and Rahim Moore who are both adept at attacking the perimeter.

Broncos still need more speed and physicality on the Defense. Draft 37 days away.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler
 
Sly_Eli's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 670

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
If there was nothing else that Dumervil and Miller did against the Ravens, it was outside contain, and they played it beautifully. Hopefully with Ware and Miller, that will once again be a source of strength. Don't forget TJ Ward and Rahim Moore who are both adept at attacking the perimeter.

Broncos still need more speed and physicality on the Defense. Draft 37 days away.
A physical linebacker like Mosley or Shazier would go a long way...
Sly_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 10,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Eli View Post
A physical linebacker like Mosley or Shazier would go a long way...
Yes it would. It's the most obvious target, by far. However don't forget T.J. Ward brings flexibility (a la Eric Berry).

I would think their top 3 in the 1st would be: Mosley, Shazier, or Fuller (in whatever order you want).
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
itswutz4dinna
Pro Bowler
 
itswutz4dinna's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 672

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
If there was nothing else that Dumervil and Miller did against the Ravens, it was outside contain, and they played it beautifully. Hopefully with Ware and Miller, that will once again be a source of strength. Don't forget TJ Ward and Rahim Moore who are both adept at attacking the perimeter.

Broncos still need more speed and physicality on the Defense. Draft 37 days away.
Miller in particular is crucial against mobile QB's. He destroyed Cam Newton and RGIII's ability to scramble and extend plays. I feel like he definitely would have helped against Wilson, who was buying extra time with his legs all day.
itswutz4dinna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
HorseHead
Ring of Famer
 
HorseHead's Avatar
 
Stay thirsty my friends..

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,421

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay
Default

Haven't been able to watch it. You have a bigger set than me sir. Just looking forward to mini camp..
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,207

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

We aren't changing our team so we can play that exact game again. We're just trying to get better in the areas we have weakened or were already weak. Hopefully we'll be a bit healthier this year and really take off.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,254
Default

Masochism or April Fool's Joke?
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I doubt I'll ever watch that one again. Never watched the San Francisco blowout again. This one is in the same category.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Pick Six
Armchair Poster
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,776
Default

Orinj counted 17 mistakes, and that was only the first quarter...ugh...

Someone told me that there were only 28 weeks, until the start of the regular season. It can't get here, fast enough...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
randerson1184
Camp Arm
 
randerson1184's Avatar
 
Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster
Default

Since the SB, I've watched the TV broadcast a couple of times and the coaches film at least once. Our defense had some glaring issues, but I was happy with how we bottled up Lynch. Percy Harvin really took us by surprise on the end-around. The Seattle WRs really started to exploit our depleted secondary on 3rd down.

Seattle's pass rush was a lot better than I thought it would be. Clark & Franklin were really getting rag-dolled in the 1st & 2nd quarters. Beadles whiffed a couple of blocks, too. Clark recovered a bit and started playing better, but it seemed like Franklin couldn't handle the edge rush. On the 2 INTs, Manning couldn't really step into his passes. It also seemed like OJ & Moreno weren't chipping the DE's often, and when they did, they weren't really slowing them down.

It did seem like our passing game started to get a bit of rhythm in the 2nd quarter. Welker was able to get open across the middle against Thurmond, and Manning threw a pretty good looking back-shoulder fade to Thomas when he was covered by Maxwell. DT even had a step (maybe a step and half) on Earl Thomas & Richard Sherman when he ran the post in the 2nd quarter, but Manning's pass was way off target. To have one drive end in a pick-6 and another end with a failed 4th & 2 from close to the Seattle 20 was just too much to overcome.

I really lost all hope in the 3rd quarter when we ran a draw on 3rd & long trailing by 29 points and then punted from the Seattle 40-some yard line. In all fairness, I guess that scenario wasn't in our game plan, but c'mon: use some common sense, Fox. Gase's play calling left a lot to be desired, too. We were running play action late in the 3rd quarter when trailing by 30+ points....seriously? There wasn't ever a threat of a run game. Play action was just a waste of time at that point.

Seattle was clearly the better team, but the score should have been much closer. I really felt like it should have been more like 31 - 14 or 34 - 17. Obviously, we didn't play well, but it would have been interesting to see how we would have fared with Von, Harris, Moore & Vickerson on the field. I'm hoping we'll give them a much closer contest during the '14 regular season.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,796

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

A good-sized pamphlet of laments for that game could be written. Such a one-sided game.

Never led from literally the opening snap of the game. Never overcame a 2-point deficit. They did put up 306 total yds, 280 by passing, and one TD w/2-point conversion.

Four turnovers, [three] by Peyton. Four total fumbles, but only lost two.

Here's Denver's O drives, yeesh:

1 1 15:00 DEN 14 1 0:12 -14 Safety View Drive
2 1 10:21 DEN 35 3 1:50 8 Punt View Drive
3 1 2:16 DEN 20 3 1:17 3 Interception View Drive
4 2 12:00 DEN 16 15 8:39 49 Interception View Drive
5 2 3:21 DEN 33 9 2:20 48 Downs View Drive
6 3 14:48 DEN 23 10 4:10 38 Punt View Drive
7 3 7:05 DEN 45 3 1:10 34 Fumble View Drive
8 3 2:58 DEN 20 6 2:58 80 Touchdown View Drive
9 4 11:45 DEN 13 7 1:57 40 Downs View Drive
10 4 5:19 DEN 31 4 1:35 -2 Fumble View Drive
11 4 1:59 DEN 24 3 1:59 23 End of Game View Drive

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...1402020den.htm

Seahawk O drives:

1 1 14:48 SEA 36 9 4:27 51 Field Goal View Drive
2 1 8:31 SEA 28 13 6:15 58 Field Goal View Drive
3 1 0:59 DEN 37 7 3:59 37 Touchdown View Drive
4 2 1:01 SEA 19 2 1:01 5 End of Half View Drive
5 3 15:00 0 0:12 0 Touchdown View Drive
6 3 10:38 SEA 8 4 3:33 11 Punt View Drive
7 3 5:55 SEA 42 6 2:57 58 Touchdown View Drive
8 4 15:00 DEN 48 5 3:15 48 Touchdown View Drive
9 4 9:48 SEA 47 7 4:29 23 Downs View Drive
10 4 3:44 DEN 29 4 1:45 5 Downs View Drive

Seattle punts only once, scores on six of ten drives, throw out the End of Half and it's four TD's two FG's out of nine drives. Seattle gets off the gas for their final two 4th Quarter drives. Scored two TD's on consecutive drives 3rd Quarter and opening the 4th Quarter, they actually had mercy on the pathetic Broncos.

Denver receiving stats were lopsided. 34/49 passing for Peyton, 27 of the receptions went to DT, Welker, and the three RB's. Decker one reception, six yards. The TE's six receptions for 35 yards.

Decker is targeted 5 times, DT 18 times, Welker 10 times, TE's 8 targets, RB's 7 targets.

Peyton's YPA drops from 8.3 YPA regular season to 5.7 YPA in XLVIII.

Denver goes 49 passes, 13 rushes for 26 yds. 79% passes, and only 26 rushing yds, that's rediculous stats.

But, surprisingly, those 26 rushing yards are only the 5th worst in Super Bowl history. Oakland in the 2002 Super Bowl had only 19 rushing yards, there's a positive....

Last edited by Cito Pelon; 04-02-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,796

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson1184 View Post
Since the SB, I've watched the TV broadcast a couple of times and the coaches film at least once. Our defense had some glaring issues, but I was happy with how we bottled up Lynch. Percy Harvin really took us by surprise on the end-around. The Seattle WRs really started to exploit our depleted secondary on 3rd down.

Seattle's pass rush was a lot better than I thought it would be. Clark & Franklin were really getting rag-dolled in the 1st & 2nd quarters. Beadles whiffed a couple of blocks, too. Clark recovered a bit and started playing better, but it seemed like Franklin couldn't handle the edge rush. On the 2 INTs, Manning couldn't really step into his passes. It also seemed like OJ & Moreno weren't chipping the DE's often, and when they did, they weren't really slowing them down.

It did seem like our passing game started to get a bit of rhythm in the 2nd quarter. Welker was able to get open across the middle against Thurmond, and Manning threw a pretty good looking back-shoulder fade to Thomas when he was covered by Maxwell. DT even had a step (maybe a step and half) on Earl Thomas & Richard Sherman when he ran the post in the 2nd quarter, but Manning's pass was way off target. To have one drive end in a pick-6 and another end with a failed 4th & 2 from close to the Seattle 20 was just too much to overcome.

I really lost all hope in the 3rd quarter when we ran a draw on 3rd & long trailing by 29 points and then punted from the Seattle 40-some yard line. In all fairness, I guess that scenario wasn't in our game plan, but c'mon: use some common sense, Fox. Gase's play calling left a lot to be desired, too. We were running play action late in the 3rd quarter when trailing by 30+ points....seriously? There wasn't ever a threat of a run game. Play action was just a waste of time at that point.

Seattle was clearly the better team, but the score should have been much closer. I really felt like it should have been more like 31 - 14 or 34 - 17. Obviously, we didn't play well, but it would have been interesting to see how we would have fared with Von, Harris, Moore & Vickerson on the field. I'm hoping we'll give them a much closer contest during the '14 regular season.
Still hard to stomach the way they stumbled and bumbled throughout that game.

The 6th highest winning point total in Super Bowl history with 43 points. And the 4th lowest losing point total in Super Bowl history with 8 points. Both in the same game. . . . .

They have to make a strong comeback, they need leadership.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,421
Default

Ayers had me so fuggin pissed with his no contain ass
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Denver Broncos