The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default harris says he will be ready for season - rehab status

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...4-a3bb6aa2eeed

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – While much of the NFL enjoys some R&R during the early portion of the offseason, those two letters stand for something different in the eyes of Chris Harris Jr.
For the fourth-year cornerback, his offseason R&R isn't rest and relaxation — it's rise and rehab.
Harris’ mornings begin at 7:30 a.m. at the Broncos’ Dove Valley headquarters. Five days a week, Harris spends five hours a day at the team’s facility rehabbing from the ACL injury he suffered during the Broncos’ Divisional-Round win vs. San Diego.
“Oh, I haven’t missed a day,” Harris said. “I just wanted to make sure I come back next year better physically, mentally and everything. I knew that in order to come back, I had to be in here every day and put the work in and follow their instructions.”
Upon arrival, the first step in Harris’ daily rehab regimen is pool work. Then he hits the bike for a bit before working on strengthening his knee. Last on the agenda is core work.
“I’ve done so much core work now, it’s ridiculous,” Harris laughed. “Just really maintaining all the other muscles and strengthening this left leg. So whenever they say it’s time for me to run, I’ll be ready to go.”
Harris is hoping to come back and build upon a 2013 campaign that saw him tie for the club lead with three interceptions. His 65 tackles a year ago were second-most among Broncos’ defensive backs
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

If Webster can improve and become a good nickel corner we will really be in good shape on defense.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

The best cure for a bad or average secondary is a front 7 that can cause QB pressure. Just look at Seattle. It is really easy to claim you are the best in the game when you reap the rewards of your front 7 disrupting the offense.

Now with Von returning to form...hopefully. Ware here and uninjured, Jackson with another year under his belt, Wolfe returning, Pot Roast playing the way he was in the playoffs. This front 7 could really make things easy for our secondary.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
Bronc0guy
50 Omaha Set Hut

Get him in the HOF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
If Webster can improve and become a good nickel corner we will really be in good shape on defense.
I would still love for a CB we have high on the list to fall to us, maybe be able to keep Harris at the nickel. I love him there. Not going to complain if we have him playing on the outside with Talib though, as long as Webster develops. I think a CB will be taken in the first 3 rounds.
Bronc0guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Bronc0guy
50 Omaha Set Hut

Get him in the HOF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
The best cure for a bad or average secondary is a front 7 that can cause QB pressure. Just look at Seattle. It is really easy to claim you are the best in the game when you reap the rewards of your front 7 disrupting the offense.

Now with Von returning to form...hopefully. Ware here and uninjured, Jackson with another year under his belt, Wolfe returning, Pot Roast playing the way he was in the playoffs. This front 7 could really make things easy for our secondary.
A hungry Pot Roast coming into a contract year could be awesome.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
I would still love for a CB we have high on the list to fall to us, maybe be able to keep Harris at the nickel. I love him there. Not going to complain if we have him playing on the outside with Talib though, as long as Webster develops. I think a CB will be taken in the first 3 rounds.
I think that Harris will start, but may move inside on the nickel and have Webster fill in the opposite side. Talib with the best outside receiver, Harris with the slot, and Webster on the other outside WR. Big Physical corners on the outside, play press coverage, and make them work to get off the line. Meanwhile Von, Wolfe, Jackson and Ware coming at you on the rush.

But I agree about drafting a CB. Need depth and insurance incase Webster can't take a step forward this year.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

I am not sure Broncos are going to be able to re-sign Harris after this year is over. He's going to be looking to for a top of the market contract. It might be a little rich for them, not sure.

$7M-$10M per year, if he has the year we all expect him to.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
I would still love for a CB we have high on the list to fall to us, maybe be able to keep Harris at the nickel. I love him there.
Harris has been a starting CB for 2 years now. And a very good one too. Even if Denver takes a CB in the 1st, I expect the starting CB to be Talib and Harris (like back when they were Jayhawks).
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
I think that Harris will start, but may move inside on the nickel and have Webster fill in the opposite side. Talib with the best outside receiver, Harris with the slot, and Webster on the other outside WR. Big Physical corners on the outside, play press coverage, and make them work to get off the line. Meanwhile Von, Wolfe, Jackson and Ware coming at you on the rush.

But I agree about drafting a CB. Need depth and insurance incase Webster can't take a step forward this year.
I agree. We'll draft a CB but not sure when, I'm thinking it will be rounds 1 or 2. I think Webster could be a real stud if he improved his coverage skills. Dude is a physical CB and I love that but he'll have to improve coverage to beat out Harris for the outside. I love Harris as the Nickle. He has such a great feel for that position.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Bronc0guy
50 Omaha Set Hut

Get him in the HOF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
Harris has been a starting CB for 2 years now. And a very good one too. Even if Denver takes a CB in the 1st, I expect the starting CB to be Talib and Harris (like back when they were Jayhawks).
And I am fine with that scenario. Just feel like the nickel is his more natural position, and as price said above I don't think we will be able to retain him next year. Having another guy with experience on the outside could be beneficial if he indeed does walk after next season. To me, the verdict is still out on Webster.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
Bronc0guy
50 Omaha Set Hut

Get him in the HOF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post

Yep. Idk if Webster can overtake Harris, but we shall see. This will be a big year on seeing how good of a player Webster is going to be, IMO.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I wish we had 1 more corner we could trust.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
Bronc0guy
50 Omaha Set Hut

Get him in the HOF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I wish we had 1 more corner we could trust.
It's coming in the draft. I'd be very surprised if we don't take one in the first two rounds, possibly the first if Mosley and Shazier are off the board. I was thinking a guard in the first, but after the signing of Montgomery, don't see it.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Elway broke my heart last yr not taking Lacy or Warford. This yr for me it's Xavier Su Fila and CB Jason Verrett. Verrett played Odell Beckham very well and I like what i hear about him. I watched some footage and he looks smooth even though he is still raw. Runs a 4.4, plays physical.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
And I am fine with that scenario. Just feel like the nickel is his more natural position, and as price said above I don't think we will be able to retain him next year.
I disagree that he's better suited for nickle. He's excellent in the slot, but he's fantastic on the outside as well--so he's best suited exactly how he is being used, which is as a starting CB.

As for retaining Harris long term, we watched this team move from Tebow to Manning then go Madden this offseason. It's way too early to say definitively whether Denver can retain Harris and what his contract demands are. That's actually irrelevent to whether he is the #2 or #3 CB this year though imo. I am positive he'll be the #2 CB if he's healthy regardless of a CB taken in the 1st or not.
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
It's coming in the draft. I'd be very surprised if we don't take one in the first two rounds, possibly the first if Mosley and Shazier are off the board. I was thinking a guard in the first, but after the signing of Montgomery, don't see it.
It sort of seems the broncos don't like inside linebackers so i could see Shazier if he was there. They seem to want to play linebackers who can cover a bit and bite the bullet on the running stuff.

Could work if all our DT stayed healthy with Knighton leading the way. Maybe even ask Vickerson to get bigger.

I still think there are 2-3 gaurds who could start this yr for denver and be way more physical then montgomery. IMO Montgomery competing at center. if he starts it will be there.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Broncos best bet on defense is to get after the QB and stop the run. Not sure we can build a Seattle type secondary in an offseason.

But if Ware and Miller can get going it could be one of the best all time outside pass rush combos the afc west has ever seen. I won't get carried about with how excited i am but Ware only had an elbow injury lol. He still avg a sack a game or more when he played last yr. This guy literally is bigger then we got Neil Smith IMO. Much bigger.

Miller hopefully pulls his head out and stops being a loser.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #18
Bronc0guy
50 Omaha Set Hut

Get him in the HOF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
I disagree that he's better suited for nickle. He's excellent in the slot, but he's fantastic on the outside as well--so he's best suited exactly how he is being used, which is as a starting CB.

As for retaining Harris long term, we watched this team move from Tebow to Manning then go Madden this offseason. It's way too early to say definitively whether Denver can retain Harris and what his contract demands are. That's actually irrelevent to whether he is the #2 or #3 CB this year though imo. I am positive he'll be the #2 CB if he's healthy regardless of a CB taken in the 1st or not.
I agree that he will be too. Personally, I just like him better in the nickel, but that's just me. Def no bad way about it. If we draft a guy that's good enough on the outside that we can slide Harris back inside, great. If not, he's an excellent #2. As far as retaining him next year, idk. Depends on what the FO feels are the main priorities. I'm convinced knighton is going to beast mode in a contract year, plus the Thomas duo. DT is coming back, and if we can resign 2 of other 3 big names I'd be tickled pink. Personally, I feel like Julius might demand more than we'll pay, post manning.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #19
Bronc0guy
50 Omaha Set Hut

Get him in the HOF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
It sort of seems the broncos don't like inside linebackers so i could see Shazier if he was there. They seem to want to play linebackers who can cover a bit and bite the bullet on the running stuff.

Could work if all our DT stayed healthy with Knighton leading the way. Maybe even ask Vickerson to get bigger.

I still think there are 2-3 gaurds who could start this yr for denver and be way more physical then montgomery. IMO Montgomery competing at center. if he starts it will be there.
Agreed on all accounts. Even if Mosley is there, I get the feeling they might not take him. (I'll go crazy if that happens) Shazier could excel in this defensive scheme, IMO.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #20
Bronc0guy
50 Omaha Set Hut

Get him in the HOF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Elway broke my heart last yr not taking Lacy or Warford.
Lacy....sigh.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #21
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Broncos best bet on defense is to get after the QB and stop the run. Not sure we can build a Seattle type secondary in an offseason.

But if Ware and Miller can get going it could be one of the best all time outside pass rush combos the afc west has ever seen. I won't get carried about with how excited i am but Ware only had an elbow injury lol. He still avg a sack a game or more when he played last yr. This guy literally is bigger then we got Neil Smith IMO. Much bigger.

Miller hopefully pulls his head out and stops being a loser.
There is the added bonus with Ware. If he becomes Von's mentor that could be worth as much to the team as his play on the field.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #22
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

I disagree with your disagree. Harris is better inside then he is outside. Playing inside he doesn't have to be a burner, which he isn't. His strength is being physical and savvy. Not saying he's bad outside because he's a solid all around CB IMO, but he's not, as you say, "fantastic" outside. He just doesn't have the elite speed or size that would make him a #1CB in the NFL. Simple as that. He's an intelligent scrappy #2CB and always will be. But I do agree with you that Harris will be the #2 starter. I don't see a rookie beating him out and Webster still has things he can improve on as well.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #23
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Webster had his moments last year and appeared to improve substantially over the season. Sure he was not ready to start but he has OTAs and TC and a lot can change for him between now and the start of the season.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #24
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I am not sure Broncos are going to be able to re-sign Harris after this year is over. He's going to be looking to for a top of the market contract. It might be a little rich for them, not sure.

$7M-$10M per year, if he has the year we all expect him to.
I could see 7-8 but he will be pricy along with others.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #25
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:

Agreed - may take 2-3 years for a rookie to grab hold. It's a pass friendly league so build depth at this position for the future.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote