The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #151
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Normally the marital privilege doesn't apply when one spouse is the victim of the allegations.
Doesn't really matter though. If she chooses to not cooperate with the prosecution and the defense puts her on the stand and she says it was a misunderstanding, etc. etc. it will be a tough sell for any jury to convict (if it even gets that far).

I see plea bargain all over this.....
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #152
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BRONCO View Post
Doesn't really matter though. If she chooses to not cooperate with the prosecution and the defense puts her on the stand and she says it was a misunderstanding, etc. etc. it will be a tough sell for any jury to convict (if it even gets that far).

Well over 95% of cases don't go to trial, so the likelihood of this being a plea is high.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #153
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
What's worse? Growing up with an abusive father both physically and mentally or no father in the home.

just curious what your take is.
Why would you care what he thinks?
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #154
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Why would you care what he thinks?
Why would you care about what I think about what he thinks?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #155
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
The question is did he knock her out, drug her or was she so drunk she passed out?
Exactly.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #156
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Well over 95% of cases don't go to trial, so the likelihood of this being a plea is high.
I hear ya. Plus when the victim recants it's very hard to convict regardless of the evidence and the prosecution knows that.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #157
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Wait ... they're alleging he knocked her unconscious, dragged her out of the room and left her on the hallway floor out cold? Well, it's obvious why the team is sticking by him ... she's still alive after all.

Just read where he married that b-b-eautiful fiance of his three days ago. He didn't have to do that ... sounds like the prosecutor's satisfied he has what he needs even without her testimony though.

New law in these United States as of about 2007 ... in DV situations, prosecutors can now use the 'excited utterance' exception to the hearsay rule to permit cops to testify to what the vic said at the scene when vic is unavailable (hiding/recanting after reconciling) to testify ... all without violating defendants rights to confront and cross. For some of you, that's important information. You know who you are
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #158
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:

Yes, because claiming it was a misunderstanding is really corroborated with the video of her getting drug out of an elevator unconscious. It will also depend on what she told the police that night, if she gave a statement. If she tries to change her account, they'll impeach her with her prior statements.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:43 AM   #159
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
New law in these United States as of about 2007 ... in DV situations, prosecutors can now use the 'excited utterance' exception to the hearsay rule to permit cops to testify to what the vic said at the scene when vic is unavailable (hiding/recanting after reconciling) to testify ... all without violating defendants rights to confront and cross. For some of you, that's important information. You know who you are
Quoting myself to clarify: Not law in ALL these United States yet ... I was thinking it was a SCOTUS ruling, but actually it was a Washington State Supreme Court ruling. Since then, it says about 30 state legislatures have or are in the process of codifying the same exception.

If Maryland or whatever state they were in that night does not have this, it'll be like Herc says, she'll try to evade it, explain it away: "(Flashing enormous rock on left hand) I was so tired that night! I took two Ambien! He didn't hit me, he reached out to brace my fall, I was SO TIRED I was falling down!"
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #160
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Yes, because claiming it was a misunderstanding is really corroborated with the video of her getting drug out of an elevator unconscious. It will also depend on what she told the police that night, if she gave a statement. If she tries to change her account, they'll impeach her with her prior statements.
I'm just saying- it's a very tough sell to the jury if you have the "victim" on the stand pleading for no punishment or prosecution. It raises other ethical and privacy issues regardless of the evidence. It's one of the reasons these types of cases plea or get outright dropped.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #161
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Wait ... they're alleging he knocked her unconscious, dragged her out of the room and left her on the hallway floor out cold? Well, it's obvious why the team is sticking by him ... she's still alive after all.

Just read where he married that b-b-eautiful fiance of his three days ago. He didn't have to do that ... sounds like the prosecutor's satisfied he has what he needs even without her testimony though.

Only if it's non-testimonial. That covers very few DV cases.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 AM   #162
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
I'm just saying- it's a very tough sell to the jury if you have the "victim" on the stand pleading for no punishment or prosecution. It raises other ethical and privacy issues regardless of the evidence. It's one of the reasons these types of cases plea or get outright dropped.
It's not tough at all if there is video. The prosecution would likely call a domestic violence expert to explain how and why around 95% of victims recant. A victim trying to explain away an obvious assault plays right into the narrative of a long-term, abusive relationship.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #163
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
That's what they did before Crawford. No victim, get a cop to lay the foundation for an excited utterance and then just have them repeat what the victim told them. Like 400HZ said, they can only do that for non-testimonial statements now.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #164
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
It's not at tough sell if you've got a good DA, and a lot of times they can be easier than a cooperative victim.