The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default You're Oakland's New GM

Imagine what a competent GM/Team could have done with their salary cap to start the offseason. I think there are people on the Mane who could do a hell of a better job.

They had $63,550,126 to start the offseason.

Jared Veldheer, Lamarr Houston and Rashad Jennings are your top impending FA's. Matt Schaub is still a Texan and you have the #5 pick in the NFL Draft.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/oakland-raiders/

^ is a look at what they've actually done this offseason for reference reasons.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/oaklandraiders/roster?team=OAK

^ this is their current roster.

Who do you bring in (or resign) during FA and what do you do with your first and second pick? Is what you end up better than what Oakland has come up with?
UberBroncoMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

if we are operating in a vacuum, maybe. but FAs know how bad the organization is--GM notwithstanding. so it's hard to hypothetically say who would play in Oakland and at what salary considering it probably would take a lot more $$$ to sign most players to play there than it would for that player to play for another team.

They could have franchised Veldheer--that's 1 move they could have done with no outside interference, but from what I have read Veldheer had no desire to play there.
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

It's hard to sign quality big name players when you suck as an organization not matter how much money you throw at them.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Imagine what a competent GM/Team could have done with their salary cap to start the offseason. I think there are people on the Mane who could do a hell of a better job.

They had $63,550,126 to start the offseason.

Jared Veldheer, Lamarr Houston and Rashad Jennings are your top impending FA's. Matt Schaub is still a Texan and you have the #5 pick in the NFL Draft.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/oakland-raiders/

^ is a look at what they've actually done this offseason for reference reasons.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/oaklandraiders/roster?team=OAK

^ this is their current roster.

Who do you bring in (or resign) during FA and what do you do with your first and second pick? Is what you end up better than what Oakland has come up with?
I make sure Jennings doesn't leave and say goodbye to McFadden. If the rumor that Veldheer doesn't want to play there I let him walk and go after McKinnie as a stop gap and franchise Houston. I sign Incognito. I don't care that he is a piece of **** as a human being, the dude can play ball. That team needs guys who can play. I like the James Jones signing and the Schaub trade, but regardless of getting Schaub I still go for Bortles in the draft. Let them fight it out and best man gets the job. No matter who my QB is, I make sure that guy is protected. So I go hard on OL. If the defense sucks, so be it. Protect the QB and worry about the defense later.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #6
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
It's hard to sign quality big name players when you suck as an organization not matter how much money you throw at them.
This is the issue, who in their right mind wants to play in Oakland? Wait don't answer that, Charles Woodson.
Flacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacko View Post
This is the issue, who in their right mind wants to play in Oakland? Wait don't answer that, Charles Woodson.
I don't buy that. I mean sure guys like Peyton who want to win aren't going to Oakland, but that much open cap space can pay for a lot of money guys. For every guy like Peyton looking for the place he can win, there are a dozen looking for cash.

Sure, agents can be smart and use that to leverage more money out of a bad team, but living in California and making bank is more than enough to lure players if the team could pull its collective head out of its ass.

With 64 million in cap room, that organization could have made moves and wound up an 8-10 win team. Instead they go after old retreads like McFadden instead of Jennings. They let their 2 best free agents walk without even attempting to re-sign them or use the franchise or transition tags.

Give an average GM that kind of available cap room and he can make a winner, regardless of what team it is for.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I make sure Jennings doesn't leave and say goodbye to McFadden. If the rumor that Veldheer doesn't want to play there I let him walk and go after McKinnie as a stop gap and franchise Houston. I sign Incognito. I don't care that he is a piece of **** as a human being, the dude can play ball. That team needs guys who can play. I like the James Jones signing and the Schaub trade, but regardless of getting Schaub I still go for Bortles in the draft. Let them fight it out and best man gets the job. No matter who my QB is, I make sure that guy is protected. So I go hard on OL. If the defense sucks, so be it. Protect the QB and worry about the defense later.
Agree with the most of this except about the defense. They do that, they become the Broncos of the 2000's. Look good but aren't.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #9
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Roby

Quote:
I don't buy that. I mean sure guys like Peyton who want to win aren't going to Oakland, but that much open cap space can pay for a lot of money guys. For every guy like Peyton looking for the place he can win, there are a dozen looking for cash.

Sure, agents can be smart and use that to leverage more money out of a bad team, but living in California and making bank is more than enough to lure players if the team could pull its collective head out of its ass.

With 64 million in cap room, that organization could have made moves and wound up an 8-10 win team. Instead they go after old retreads like McFadden instead of Jennings. They let their 2 best free agents walk without even attempting to re-sign them or use the franchise or transition tags.

Give an average GM that kind of available cap room and he can make a winner, regardless of what team it is for.
I agree with you. Very bad FO that's the only explanation. They should've landed Jared Allen because obviously he wasn't chasing a ring if he signed with Chicago. There's no doubt the Raiders have become the equivalent of the Browns.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #10
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Man, in a lot of ways, Incognito was born to play for the Raiders. It's shocking that it hasn't happened before now.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #11
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Roby

Incognito is an average Guard at best. Why take the media circus when a youngster can play at the same level with a discount?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:27 AM   #12
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

In all seriousness, Oakland can field a decent team this year - better than previous years. Additions of their veterans will help the locker room headed in the right direction.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacko View Post
Incognito is an average Guard at best. Why take the media circus when a youngster can play at the same level with a discount?
Yup, he's not remotely worth the trouble even for a hot mess like the Raiders.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

What I've gathered so far is that the team is doomed and thus the best option is to move the team to LA in order to at least make the area attractive to more athletes.
UberBroncoMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Agree with the most of this except about the defense. They do that, they become the Broncos of the 2000's. Look good but aren't.
Yeah, but if they do nothing they'll look bad and be bad.

It not such a terrible idea to fix one side of the ball, aim for average on the other and go from there over the next few years. Rebuilding the Raiders is going to take time.

If I'm Oakland's GM/Owner, I'm getting the players I need to win some matches now and keep the fans coming through the gates. That usually means offense.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

If I'm oakland's GM, I'm looking for new work.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

What I don't get is why in the hell would you want to be the Incognito circus to an organization that already doesn't have any leadership at any level. Then you have serious interest in Jackson (who was released in his prime which tells you the story is at least 95% true) when he has ties to gang members in the bay area. They already have a long history of crime and violence at games because of that mess. Your inviting trouble when you bring in to close proximity to more trouble. SMH Raiders!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #19
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

If I were the Raiders' GM, first move I'd make is getting a place in San Francisco. I'm not living in Oakland. lol
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote