The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #26
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
I don't understand why this midget is getting so much coverage.
Because he's one of the greatest players in the history of collegiate football, and likely a top 5 NFL draft pick?
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #27
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

yerner coming through with some top notch takes lately.

keep it up sir, you are doing great!
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #28
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Because he's one of the greatest players in the history of collegiate football, and likely a top 5 NFL draft pick?
He's still a midget though.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #29
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Vikings fans at work are praying for this guy to be their selection.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #30
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

This thread will be awesome to bump next year
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #31
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Vikings fans at work are praying for this guy to be their selection.
haha my good bud is a vikings fan and is terrified they'll take him
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #32
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
This all sounds really familiar
Except for the part about Manziel being able to make all the throws he need to make to be a good/great NFL player.

I don't see that many similarities with Tim Tebow if that's what you're getting at, outside of their similar abilities to make something happen when plays break down.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #33
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
He's still a midget though.
So is Russell Wilson. Oops...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #34
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Russell Wilson throws the ball with his arm held high, Manziel has a nasty tendency to throw the ball from helmet height, which takes a good foot off the release point. Manziel does have a compact motion which is nice, but his work ethic and technique is not as polished as Wilson.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #35
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I don't see that many similarities with Tim Tebow if that's what you're getting at, outside of their similar abilities to make something happen when plays break down.
Yeah aside from the fact that their games were both almost entirely sandlot football in college, there are no similarities.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #36
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
yerner coming through with some top notch takes lately.

keep it up sir, you are doing great!
let me guess, you have a tebow half shirt don't you fruity? dude couldn't hold luck's jock and he'd getting the same type of coverage.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #37
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

He'll do well for himself in the NFL. I'm rooting for him.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #38
Maleficent
Once Upon A Dream

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Mike Zimmer calls Johnny Manziel pro day a 'sideshow'

Quote:
For the most part, the pro day workout by Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M on Thursday was an impressive display of accuracy, arm strength and a nice touch on his passes. A former U.S. president and first lady -- along with their dog -- were there, and though there was plenty of Twitter snark during and after the workout, Manziel's performance could easily be labeled a success.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, though, has a slightly different opinion. He said Manziel's performance was "choreographed" and that the surrounding atmosphere was too circus-like for his taste.

“The huddles and the different things and the music. The sideshow stuff,” Zimmer said, via the Houston Chronicle. “It was a sideshow.”

Perhaps Manziel's most unusual decision was to participate in his pro day while wearing shoulder pads and a helmet. Some speculated that Manziel did so in order to appear physically bigger to the scouts and NFL officials in attendance, and Manziel said he did it simply because he plays the game in pads and a helmet.

But it sounds like Zimmer wasn't impressed.

"It was a different workout,” Zimmer said. “It's the first time I've ever seen it ... “This one was a little different in how it was choreographed. People like that or they don't like that, I don't know.”

What Zimmer's comments mean ... well, who knows. He's on record saying the team wants to add quarterbacks to the Vikings roster, and it seems likely Minnesota will look to the draft in order to do so and to find a way to replace Christian Ponder and Matt Cassel as the team's potential starter.

For the record, three of the five CBSSports.com mock drafters predict Minnesota will take a quarterback with the No. 8 overall pick (two votes for Teddy Bridgewater and one for Derek Carr).

But by the time it's the Vikings' turn to draft, Manziel very well could be off the board anyway. Unless all 32 teams are on the same wavelength as CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco -- who doesn't have Manziel as a first-round pick in his mock draft.

Still, not everybody was turned off by Manziel on Thursday.

“The atmosphere and everything that was involved and then to come out and perform like he did, that was great,” Jaguars coach Gus Bradley said. “I think that's no different than how he's performed all year, right? Perform under pressure. Felt like more of a pressurized environment with a lot of eyes watching him and he did a great job.”
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...day-a-sideshow
Maleficent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #39
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Please do. I'd love to eat crow on this kid. I am trying not be negative on college QB's because they almost all don't workout that great - at best they're not bad and a few decent seasons and then lengthy backup career and at worst they wash out very quickly. But people that thump their chests about predicting a QB wasn't going to make it are morons because you can say that about literally all of them be correct 85% of the time.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:49 PM   #40
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
When he is flaming out? That ain't cool man!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:09 AM   #41
pricejj
jungle

Cannot hit a tractor tire with two sledge hammers at the same time. Do not want.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #42
Jay3
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Please do. I'd love to eat crow on this kid. I am trying not be negative on college QB's because they almost all don't workout that great - at best they're not bad and a few decent seasons and then lengthy backup career and at worst they wash out very quickly. But people that thump their chests about predicting a QB wasn't going to make it are morons because you can say that about literally all of them be correct 85% of the time.
Right on. Watching this game closely for 30+ years, these QB's come and go constantly. One of the toughest gigs in the world, and those who think they've got it all figured out are fooling themselves.

I like to start with the guys that are dominant, that have no trouble getting it done in college and are typically the best player on the field. Then ask, does he have the physical dominance for the next level (size, arm strength, whatever that means), then ask, does it seem like he's determined to learn how to do it.

I think Manziel displays some troubling punk-like character traits. But they also seem like a chip on his shoulder, like he will have the competitive drive to find ways to win.
Jay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #43
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Compares to: Jeff Garcia
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #44
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
it says a couple of things--one, he has improved his mechanics since the end of his college season (which means he's working on getting better, all his snaps came from under center) and two, he can pretty much make all the throws.

Now, is he a top 5 NFL draft pick QB? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I always have doubts on those guys who have to improve mechanics and footwork. As a QB these guys have been tossing a ball for years by the end of their college careers. If after that long your mechanics and footwork sucks it is most likely never going to be good.

I remember Tebow workouts where sportscasters were saying how hard he has worked and that he looks good. Sure he looks good...in practice by himself.

If I ran a franchise I wouldn't even consider Manziel before the 2nd maybe even 3rd round. Short, option QB with a huge ego that I think ends up as the next Leinart or Sanchez.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #45
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
For every Wilson or Brees that are smaller and play good ball there are a dozen Colt McCoys who do nothing.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #46
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Compares to: Jeff Garcia
not a bad comparison, one I did not think of.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #47
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I always have doubts on those guys who have to improve mechanics and footwork. As a QB these guys have been tossing a ball for years by the end of their college careers. If after that long your mechanics and footwork sucks it is most likely never going to be good.

I remember Tebow workouts where sportscasters were saying how hard he has worked and that he looks good. Sure he looks good...in practice by himself.

If I ran a franchise I wouldn't even consider Manziel before the 2nd maybe even 3rd round. Short, option QB with a huge ego that I think ends up as the next Leinart or Sanchez.
lienert and sanchez both had work ethic issues. I don't think either have the competitive nature that Jm does and neither comes close to his running skills.
He is more like plummer, great on the move, never going to be more than mediocre in the pocket.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #48
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
lienert and sanchez both had work ethic issues. I don't think either have the competitive nature that Jm does and neither comes close to his running skills.
He is more like plummer, great on the move, never going to be more than mediocre in the pocket.
I think being a Plummer clone is a lofty goal. I don't think he'll even be that good.

I am not big on the running skills of a QB. RG3 career is showing that running as a QB is not spmething to build a playbook around. Running to elongate plays or turn negative to positive is another thing. Mobility is great but running being the main weapon of a QB arsenal is a sure way to a shortened career and eventual back up status.

Manziel has a good arm, but for his size he throws with a short arm. The ball leaves at about helmet height which isn't going to work in the pros. He has poor footwork. When he sees the passing isn't working his natural instinct will be to run, and at his size he'll get killed.

All his fiery attributes won't mean anything. His ego works in college when he plays for an annual bowl team in a college town, but it will wear thin playing for a rebuilding or bad team.