The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default An Agents take on Broncos FA signings

Really nice read on how Broncos worked the contracts of Sanders, Ware, Talib and Ward.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...spending-spree
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Very good read. Wow, another $30 Mil. next off-season. Wonder how much Knighton will ask for, Welker is most likely gone next year.

Is the projected $30 Mil. before or after Miller's tag?
Flacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacko View Post
Very good read. Wow, another $30 Mil. next off-season. Wonder how much Knighton will ask for, Welker is most likely gone next year.

I am not sure Welker is gone. He could sign a one or two year deal. Thing about slot WRs is if they can stay healthy they can play a long time because their game is route running and not speed.

I'd talk to Knighton this year about an extension and see if he will go for it.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
I am not sure Welker is gone. He could sign a one or two year deal. Thing about slot WRs is if they can stay healthy they can play a long time because their game is route running and not speed.
Quite possible but IMO their intent is to use Sanders there after Welkers contract is up. Hopefully, a draft pick from this year will be ready to start opposite Demarius by then.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacko View Post

$30M after Miller's option. Sounds like a lot of money, but it's not. Pretty sure Welker will be gone.

1. Demaryius Thomas - ~$10M
2. Julius Thomas - ~$6M
3. Orlando Franklin - ~$6M
4. Chris Harris - ~$6M

That accounts for almost all of it right there, not including Terrance Knighton, Rahim Moore, and 13 other backups/draft picks in 2015. As I've been saying for awhile now, Prater and Colquitt should have been cut/restructured last year. Same goes for Dreessen/Tamme.

Last edited by pricejj; 03-28-2014 at 03:04 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 AM   #6
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
$30M after Miller's option. Sounds like a lot of money, but it's not. Pretty sure Welker will be gone.

1. Demaryius Thomas - ~$10M
2. Julius Thomas - ~$6M
3. Orlando Franklin - ~$6M
4. Chris Harris - ~$6M

That accounts for almost all of it right there, not including Terrance Knighton, Rahim Moore, and 13 other backups/draft picks in 2015.

As I've been saying for awhile now, Prater and Colquitt should have been cut/restructured last year. Same goes for Dreessen/Tamme.
No way we cut Prater - he deserves the money. Colquitt is a different story.

We need to have a great draft this year...and with how deep it is hopefully we nail it.

Also hope Painter can come through...

Maybe Manning takes a pay cut next year too?

Also cap numbers never are what they seem. As you can see how horribly off everyone was in their assumption of how much cap room Broncos had this year...then we land Ware - Talib - TJ Ward - Emmanuel Sanders.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:17 AM   #7
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

Maybe Manning takes a pay cut next year too?

Also cap numbers never are what they seem. As you can see how horribly off everyone was in their assumption of how much cap room Broncos had this year...then we land Ware - Talib - TJ Ward - Emmanuel Sanders.
Nobody was off in cap room assumptions. Everybody knew Champ and Kuper would probably be gone. The only thing I knew, is that not everyone would be back. I figured Beadles and Knowshon would be gone and they are. Next year Welker will be gone, and at least one more starter like Orlando Franklin (need more spending on Defense).

2013-2016:
1. Manning is scheduled to make $78M
2. Brady is only scheduled to make $55M

Brady isn't even in the top 10 of QB salaries, and that is what you call a MAJOR hometown discount. If Manning would play for only $13M per year (like Brady), the Broncos would be able to load up even more.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:19 AM   #8
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Nobody was off in cap room assumptions. Everybody knew Champ and Kuper would probably be gone. The only thing I knew, is that not everyone would be back. I figured Beadles and Knowshon would be gone and they are. Next year Welker will be gone, and at least one more starter like Orlando Franklin (need more spending on Defense).

2013-2016:
1. Manning is scheduled to make $78M
2. Brady is only scheduled to make $55M

Brady isn't even in the top 10 of QB salaries, and that is what you call a MAJOR hometown discount. If Manning would play for only $13M per year (like Brady), the Broncos would be able to load up even more.
That's called delusion.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 AM   #9
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I was following your thread on cap space spread sheet -- that thing was way off.

Show me a post with anyone claiming we'd have almost 35 million in cap space off season after taking into account rookie signings for the 2014 NFL draft.

Anyone claiming they'd think we would be able to afford who we did before this started is full of ****.

Last edited by Action; 03-28-2014 at 03:30 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 AM   #10
pricejj
jungle

It's only delusional if you never looked at the math.

Even with all the recent Defensive signings, the Offense still outspends the Defense by $20M.

The vast majority of big ticket items that come up next year are on the Offensive side of the ball. So it goes without saying, that we will lose a couple of those guys.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #11
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
It's only delusional if you never looked at the math.

Even with all the recent Defensive signings, the Offense still outspends the Defense by $20M.

The vast majority of big ticket items that come up next year are on the Offensive side of the ball. So it goes without saying, that we will lose a couple of those guys.
I didn't look at the math - I just looked at cap space available highlighted at the top of the post.

I am not saying next years calculations are right or wrong at this moment - all I know was the 2014 cap space projections by you and others were wrong.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:38 AM   #12
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
I was following your thread on cap space spread sheet -- that thing was way off.
Way off? The spreadsheet has been up since 3/11 with the most accurate information available on the web. All the Broncos did was shift money around by playing musical chairs. While some spots have been upgraded, others have gone unfilled. The Broncos have lost 8 starters in FA, and gained 4.

1. Instead of having Champ, we have Ware
2. Instead of having DRC, we have Talib
3. Instead of having Decker, we have Sanders
4. Instead of having Phillips and Adams, we have Ward

Still missing replacements for Woodyard, Beadles, and Moreno.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:46 AM   #13
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Way off? The spreadsheet has been up since 3/11 with the most accurate information available on the web. All the Broncos did was shift money around by playing musical chairs. While some spots have been upgraded, others have gone unfilled. The Broncos have lost 8 starters in FA, and gained 4.

1. Instead of having Champ, we have Ware
2. Instead of having DRC, we have Talib
3. Instead of having Decker, we have Sanders
4. Instead of having Phillips and Adams, we have Ward

Still missing replacements for Woodyard, Beadles, and Moreno.
why yes - in hindsight it's definitely easy to understand what they did.

As I was saying earlier NO ONE projected we'd have the amount of cap space we did (taking into account Champ and Kuper).

Show me anyone saying we'd have some of the most money in the NFL to spend this off season.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 AM   #14
pricejj
jungle

Quote:

I am not saying next years calculations are right or wrong at this moment - all I know was the 2014 cap space projections by you and others were wrong.
Not even close dude. Yeah, we had $30M in cap without signing any of our own players. Just like next year, they will have $30M in cap without signing any of their own FA's.

All I said was:
1. The Broncos have 8 starting positions that need to be filled because of FA
2. They won't be able to fill them all

I was right. Now they will be looking for immediate starters in the draft. I think they made good decisions so far this offseason, but it all depends on what they end up with in the draft. If they're left without an impact LB, and without a good RT, then they screwed up.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 AM   #15
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Not even close dude. Yeah, we had $30M in cap without signing any of our own players. Just like next year, they will have $30M in cap without signing any of their own FA's.

All I said was:
1. The Broncos have 8 starting positions that need to be filled because of FA
2. They won't be able to fill them all

I was right. Now they will be looking for immediate starters in the draft. I think they made good decisions so far this offseason, but it all depends on what they end up with in the draft. If they're left without an impact LB, and without a good RT, then they screwed up.
I know that's what you're saying now, but what you had was off man, like I said I was following the thread and said to hell with it after I saw the signings and numbers fluctuate.

You want to be right? Show me ANYWHERE that anyone said we'd have someone of the most cap room in the NFL this off season.

Quote:
The Broncos' only have 29 players under contract for 2015 using $94.71 million of cap space. With the salary cap expected to have a similar increase to this year's 8.13 percent, it should be around $145 million in 2015.
How does that equate to 30 million in cap space without signing any of our own players?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:56 AM   #16
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
If they're left without an impact LB, and without a good RT, then they screwed up.
We have a good RT in Franklin.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 AM   #17
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
I know that's what you're saying now, but what you had was off man, like I said I was following the thread and said to hell with it after I saw the signings and numbers fluctuate.
At first I had a bunch of numbers up there showing what we could afford to pay our own FA's (Champ, DRC, Decker, Woodyard, Beadles, Phillips, Moreno) while remaining under the cap. Obviously, the Broncos chose to not re-sign any of those guys. So what.

Quote:
You want to be right? Show me ANYWHERE that anyone said we'd have someone of the most cap room in the NFL this off season.
No we don't, the Raiders do. Everybody (including me) showed we had ~$20M to spend before they cut Champ. $20M to re-sign 7 starters isn't very much. They're still 3 starters short. Hopefully that can be filled sufficiently in the draft.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:15 AM   #18
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
We have a good RT in Franklin.
I guess you don't care that Franklin got blown up in the Superbowl by a real LDE. And somehow, you think that's going to magically change the next time.

Heck, even Chris Clark can look serviceable at LT as long as he's not facing good pass-rushers. The moment they face a good pass-rusher? Ruh roh.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:22 AM   #19
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:

How does that equate to 30 million in cap space without signing any of our own players?
Are you serious?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...&highlight=cap

---2014 Denver Broncos Cap Space (with '13 rollover) ~ $33 million---

I started an entire thread on this back in October and had the figure above of $33 million in cap space which is almost exactly right considering we haven't cut Dressen/Tamme yet.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:23 AM   #20
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
I guess you don't care that Franklin got blown up in the Superbowl by a real LDE. And somehow, you think that's going to magically change the next time.

Heck, even Chris Clark can look serviceable at LT as long as he's not facing good pass-rushers. The moment they face a good pass-rusher? Ruh roh.
By a real LDE? so you're telling me in the 47+ games he's played in the NFL, he's never faced a "real LDE"?

The whole line got owned. You don't ever judge a player by 1 game.

And somehow I think that's going to magically change the next time?

I see you've never played any sports.

Franklin is one of the better RT's in the NFL.

Last edited by Action; 03-28-2014 at 04:28 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 AM   #21
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Wait, good pass rushers can get the best of an RT?

Does the front office realize this?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:25 AM   #22
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Are you serious?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...&highlight=cap

---2014 Denver Broncos Cap Space (with '13 rollover) ~ $33 million---

I started an entire thread on this back in October and had the figure above of $33 million in cap space which is almost exactly right considering we haven't cut Dressen/Tamme yet.
Good job. I didn't see that thread..
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 AM   #23
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...enver-broncos/

Right tackle Orlando Franklin is often mentioned as a future guard, but he lead all offensive tackles in Pass Blocking Efficiency last season, even when factoring in his subpar Super Bowl performance.

--------------

But yeah RT is a spot we need to replace or else we will have failed.

Last edited by Action; 03-28-2014 at 04:32 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #24
pricejj
jungle

Quote:

For next year? Because they haven't included Von Miller's 2015 option ($9.75M) or draft pick salaries.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 AM   #25
pricejj
jungle

Quote:

But yeah RT is a spot we need to replace or else we will have failed.
Beadles needs to be replaced. I don't really care how you do it. Or are you in the camp that thinks Ben Garland is going to be the starting LG? hahahaha

Replace Beadles with Franklin and draft a starting RT. Or draft a starting LG to replace Beadles. Or move ManRam to LG and draft a starting Center.

Either way they have to draft a starting OL. Get the picture?