The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default Offseason Priorities

After blowing a mostly healty team last year, and crapping themselves in the SB this year, I feel the best window for a SB victory was these past two seasons.

That said, I do believe the window is still open for another year or two, but it will be an uphill battle.

With that said, how does the team move forward to make it as competitive as possible? How do they give themselves the best possible chance to redeem themselves?

My theories:

1. If Eric Decker wants big money, let him walk. He has his moments, but disappears in games as well. He is a decent receiver, but that money can go elsewhere.

2. Obvious statement is obvious: Cut or restructure Champ.

3. Sign DRC. If possible, extend Harris as well.

4. Let Beadles walk unless he signs a cheap contract. I like him for depth, but I don't think he's worth second contract starting Oline money.

5. Look to upgrade safety. Adams is a good depth guy, Ihenacho is a decent depth guy, but niether should be starting. I get that injuries played a part here. But the position needs attention.

6. I can't believe I'm saying this, but are there any Romonowski type players available? Crazy, borderline psychopaths that give your Defense a nasty attitude type guys? Vickerson has a bit of that in him, but this team needs some nasty. While we're at it, a receiver with some nasty would be great as well.

A lot depends on how some of these guys come back from injury. But S, CB, LG, WR, MLB, are all areas that need to be addressed. And maybe DE depending on Wolfe's situation.

I get that most of you are extremely pissed, I am too, but can we try to keep this thread a "where do we go from here" thread, and not just another "b****ing cause I'm pissed" thread? There are plenty of those available (I'm using those as well).

Last edited by Powderaddict; 02-03-2014 at 07:45 AM..
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
SVine
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cut or restructure Manning. A championship qb does not allow his own salary to take up 17% of cap space. Elway knew this when he was still playing and took a salary cut so a championship team could be built around him. Hopefully Elway remembers that and has a very difficult chat with Peyton.
SVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
enjolras
Ring of Famer

How to fix this team:

We need a big time playmaker in our secondary. We saw what MEN look like last night. We need a safety who can change games. A Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, or an Earl Thomas. We haven't had a decent safety since Steve Atwater hung them up. The highest off-season priority MUST be finding that player for this defense. If we can find a hard-hitting and aggressive safety that will help to greatly shore up our secondary. I'm ok with DRC (although I would love an upgrade) and Chris Harris is a fantastic second corner.

Fire Jack Del Rio. Much like Shannahan the game has simply passed him by. Find someone willing to play 100% more aggressively. Someone who will coach this team up to play at full speed all the time. I believe we have the horses to do this. I think our front-7 can be very VERY good. Guys like Wolfe, Sly, Pot Roast, Miller, and Williams can wreak havoc on an offense. Let them play aggressively. Let them play fast.

That's really the two defensive changes I would like to see. We had a lot of bad luck this year. Get everyone back and healthy and we'll be in a fantastic spot to make another run.

On offense I think everyone is spot on. Let Decker walk. We need a physical number two to complement Welker and Thomas. I don't care about speed. I want big and nasty.

Beadles needs to walk as well. I've defended the guy over and over again, but I'm willing to admit now that he simply can't get the job done when faced with elite defensive talent in front of him.

Last edited by enjolras; 02-03-2014 at 07:14 AM..
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
orangenblue
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
Cut or restructure Manning. A championship qb does not allow his own salary to take up 17% of cap space. Elway knew this when he was still playing and took a salary cut so a championship team could be built around him. Hopefully Elway remembers that and has a very difficult chat with Peyton.

Totally agree
orangenblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Elway took a cut specifically to sign Neil Smith.

I could see Manning taking a cut to help sign a specific player. I hope he would. We'll see if it happens. I doubt he takes a preemptive cut just to give the FO money to play with, but maybe.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think you're right on when putting S, CB first. OMG how many years have we been screaming for and needing a good safety. I think MLB is next and then DE. Ayers is much too inconsistent. WR, blah. You can pick them up for a dime a dozen.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

It didn't take long for me to think to myself, man that Harris injury hurts.

It's hard to say we are only a player or two away with the injuries we have had. I personally think we might be more of a coach away.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
AtlantaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

This team was built to win now. Believe it or not, I think the biggest hurdle is going to be mental. Taking a beating like that where the team simply isn't prepared to play and everything they try fails miserably does something to the organization. You go from expecting to win to hoping to win. The last time we took this kind of beating in a Super Bowl was against the 49ers. It took 7 years and 2 head coaching changes to get back. To me, it doesn't matter what changes are made, the window closed last night.
AtlantaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

We have some help coming. Q and McCray will help. And Miller is coming back.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #10
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

OL:
Let Beadles walk. Move Franklin to LG (I assume you mean t LG because Vasquez played well at RG) and move Clark to RT and hope Clady returns to form.

WR:
Decker is probably going to command 8-10/year and I don't think he is worth that, especially when we have to give DT a big contract the following year. Maybe we can restructure Welker so he's not eating $8 in 2014.

QB:
Manning wants a ring then he needs to give up some green.

Defense needs a bit more work.
LB:
IDK if Von should move into a strictly DE? Or maybe just DE when we go nickle? I would love to have a real MLB, but with Von and Trevathan, only 2 are going to be on the field in nickle D unless we move Von up to the line. Still, a 3-down MLB has been a priority since Big Al Wilson hung em up.

CB/S:
Champ looks done to me, sad to say. I wish we could have got him a ring this year.
Re-sign DRC is a must. Harris is great and Kayvon will benefit greatly from a full off season. CBs are okay. Depth beyond our top 2 isn't great, but SS/FS upgrade is so much more important right now. Nacho is depth. Rahim is solid, but should be depth. Our worst talent here since Mcree/Manual

DL:
We actually have 2 solid DTs. I didn't think I was going to ever say that. Our depth is awful and showed when Vickerson went out. Hopefully Wolfe can come back from whatever his illness is. Malik is solid. Can Q Smith make the leap Malik did? At least need depth here, but we probably could use an upgrade. And maybe less so if we have Von solely rushing in passing situations.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBronco View Post
This team was built to win now. Believe it or not, I think the biggest hurdle is going to be mental. Taking a beating like that where the team simply isn't prepared to play and everything they try fails miserably does something to the organization. You go from expecting to win to hoping to win. The last time we took this kind of beating in a Super Bowl was against the 49ers. It took 7 years and 2 head coaching changes to get back. To me, it doesn't matter what changes are made, the window closed last night.
This next season will show how mentally tough this team is.

If it all falls apart next year, I think I'll be one of the "blow it all up" voices. I'm an optimist by nature, so my hope and expectation is they'll come back ready for another run. But we'll see.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #12
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
OL:
Let Beadles walk. Move Franklin to LG (I assume you meant LG)
Yes, I meant LG. Correcting OP now.

Last edited by Powderaddict; 02-03-2014 at 07:46 AM..
Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

If this is a valid choice, and I don't know enough about the salary numbers but I would prefer to get rid of Welker if it meant we could keep Decker. I don't think Welker was worth the money this year, and the concussion issues will be back next year for sure.

I think Caldwell could do fine in the slot and take up more space than Welker on the crossing routes that are designed to get Deck and DT open.

Whatever money Holliday is making get rid of him, we can put Mike Adams back there running kickoffs to the 12 yard line for all I care, just someone who doesn't give me heart palpitations every time they touch the ball, they have to be cheap whoever it is. OL looks like it needs work-

I think some of this is in coaching though, we looked really good all the way in the playoffs until now, and then crapped the bed once we got off our game plan. I think some coaches need to be let go, just not sure who that is right now.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
Denver724
Ring of Famer

From Rotoworld last night (after game).

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...oster-rankings

3. Denver Broncos

CB: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie publicly discussed retirement during Super Bowl week and is entering free agency. Franchise stalwart Champ Bailey's future is also up in the air going on age 36 with a $9 million base salary. Stud slot corner Chris Harris, a restricted free agent, tore his left ACL on January 12. It's possible the Broncos will need two new starting cornerbacks for 2014.

LB: Impending free agent Wesley Woodyard flamed out at middle linebacker this past season, losing his starting job to Paris Lenon down the stretch. Lenon, 36, is also a free agent. The Broncos could explore moving WLB Danny Trevathan inside during the offseason. SLB Von Miller's return will obviously help, but there's bound to be a hole at one of the other linebackers.

OG: Louis Vasquez is entrenched as Denver's right guard, but LG Zane Beadles is a free agent and has no obvious in-house successor. It's possible the Broncos will consider kicking LT Chris Clark inside to guard with Ryan Clady (Lisfranc) returning, but otherwise this is a starting-lineup hole. Denver is set at the other tackle position (Orlando Franklin) and center (Manuel Ramirez).

WR: The Broncos likely won't be able to afford free agent Eric Decker, as Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas are both entering contract years as more valuable pieces in Denver's passing attack. Wes Welker turns 33 in May and suffered two concussions in 2013. Look for VP of Player Personnel John Elway to invest a mid-round pick on a wideout. Elway tried with Tavarres King in the fifth round last year, but King was waived and ended the season on the Panthers' inactives list.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #15
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Blow the whole thing up and get bigger/stonger/faster across the board. F--K Miller too. That idiot has 300 + chances a year to screw up and get a full season suspension. It's just a matter of time before he does.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
mnfan
Ring of Famer

It's not a secret if it's known by three people, Raiders SUCK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
I don't think that Elway took a paycut. He restructured and pushed off some bonuses.
mnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #17
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

MLB and Safety are a definitive MUST UPGRADE!

On the bright side, our DT rotation is good.....
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #18
spiralism
Pro Bowler

Fox MUST go

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon

We need to cut Manning or demand he restructures for less than half. He either wants this or he doesn't and his choking played a big part. Call it a punishment.
spiralism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
We need to cut Manning or demand he restructures for less than half. He either wants this or he doesn't and his choking played a big part. Call it a punishment.
Lol
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #20
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Also, the Maras called. They want Elway to clean up the steaming pile of horse**** he left on the field last night. I understand it is pretty big so bring lots of bags and a world class pooper scooper.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Priority #1: Burn the jerseys.
Wes Mantooth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #22
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

We've designed this team over the past few years to try to beat the Patriots.

We did that. It's time we look at the bigger picture and that means a more physical brand of football.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #23
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

We did that. It's time we look at the bigger picture and that means a more physical brand of football.
QFT
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #24
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:

Truth.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #25
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:

Would we have beaten them if Gronk was healthy though?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote