The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #101
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

You guys should watch House of Cards with Kevin Spacey. This is how American politics works. We have a family friend who works in the halls of government in Washington. My wife asked him if that show was a realistic portrayal of how Washington works. He said, "About 99%." We've become so much like post-republic Rome that it's bizarre. I guess same-as-it-ever-was really holds true.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #102
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You guys should watch House of Cards with Kevin Spacey. This is how American politics works. We have a family friend who works in the halls of government in Washington. My wife asked him if that show was a realistic portrayal of how Washington works. He said, "About 99%." We've become so much like post-republic Rome that it's bizarre. I guess same-as-it-ever-was really holds true.
I really like that show, although I don't think I'll be watching Season 2. Without spoiling anything for others, I'm not a big fan of what they did to my favorite character.

I also agree that there's probably a lot of stuff like that, although I think the show took things a step too far that doesn't generally happen in the real world, if you follow me (again, trying not to spoil).
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #103
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I really like that show, although I don't think I'll be watching Season 2. Without spoiling anything for others, I'm not a big fan of what they did to my favorite character.
I hear ya, that was harsh, but... the great shows are pretty bold in taking out characters mercilessly. Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, GoT, etc. No one is safe!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #104
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I hear ya, that was harsh, but... the great shows are pretty bold in taking out characters mercilessly. Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, GoT, etc. No one is safe!
This is true. I guess I just figured in a show about drug dealers or medieval fantasy that killing off characters was par for the course. I was expecting more West Wing and less GoT.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #105
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/02/sa...nj-town-little

This hole seems to be getting deeper and deeper for Christie.

Redirecting sandy relief funds for political favors.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #106
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
http://crooksandliars.com/2014/02/sa...nj-town-little

This hole seems to be getting deeper and deeper for Christie.

Redirecting sandy relief funds for political favors.
Old news, but to the point: that project was in the works before Sandy. Signs are pointing to the fact that he approved the project after the Storm, using it as an excuse.