The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
Bronco Yoda

Default Goodell says league would consider marijuana as a concussion treatment

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ion-treatment/

Even with marijuana now legal for recreational purposes in two of the 22 states where the NFL has teams, the league declines to reconsider its rule that players canít use it.

That could change, in time...
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Good for von
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have no issues with marijuana. I know hockey doesn't even test for recreational
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:24 AM   #4
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

They really just need to stop testing for it altogether. Two times a year is pointless and only punishes the dumbasses anyway (yes Von Miller is a dumbass).
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

There are actually very few studies on the pros and cons of marijuana, in terms of its long term effects or in terms of its medical uses.

The main reason for that is that for more than 40 years, marijuana has been classified as a schedule I controlled substance by the federal government. That puts it in a class with heroin.

In order to qualify as a schedule I controlled substance, one of the main criteria is that the drug must have NO legitimate medical applications. The federal government still takes that position, due to the lack of official studies showing otherwise. The big "Catch 22" is that one of the main reasons there haven't been such studies is precisely because of the drug's classification.

Interestingly enough, there's a budget allocation pending in Hickenlooper's proposed budget for just such studies to be conducted at CU. So, sometime in the next few years, we may finally have some real science on the issue.

Meanwhile, there's a big issue about whether employers in Colorado can fire employees who use legitimate medical marijuana, where there is no use on the job and where it can't be shown that it affects job performance. The Court of Appeals held in a split decision last spring that employers could do so. But earlier this week, the Colorado Supreme Court agreed to review that ruling. See

http://www.mydenverduilawyer.com/drug-law/
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #6
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

They really do need to take marijuana off the schedule 1 drug rating, and let the FDA do studies on it's medical benefits. This will put to rest whether it does or does not have any benefits.

Even if it doesn't have any benefits, it's NOWHERE near as bad as the other schedule 1.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

There was a major to-do about all this in the AMA this year. In the past, they pretty much deferred to the FDA. They've more or less done so again, but this time around they are also calling for studies.

I'm not an expert in the area, but as I understand it, the main medical use for marijuana is as a pain killer. Many people experience nausea with standard pain killers and it doesn't do you much good if you puke up your pain medicine (together with whatever other medicine you're taking). Second, it's thought to be virtually impossible to overdose on THC.

I know it's thought by some to have treatment value for things like PTSD and certain types of epileptic seizures, though I'm not sure how that works.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife View Post
They really do need to take marijuana off the schedule 1 drug rating, and let the FDA do studies on it's medical benefits. This will put to rest whether it does or does not have any benefits.

Even if it doesn't have any benefits, it's NOWHERE near as bad as the other schedule 1.
FDA policy though is to ban anything without medicinal benefits. If it is deemed only recreational, no matter how harmless, they won't allow it. That is despite any arguments about psychological benefits.

The FDA is a dick.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

In related news the number of concussions in the NFL has skyrocketed
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
FDA policy though is to ban anything without medicinal benefits. If it is deemed only recreational, no matter how harmless, they won't allow it. That is despite any arguments about psychological benefits.

The FDA is a dick.
Freaky Dangly Appendage... Checks out.

Is the entire orginization a dick, like some monstrous phallus come to ejaculate on the world, or is it that they act like *****. Truely I must know.

While the FDA is very corrupt, the work that they do as regulators is essential. Sadly the orginization has gone down hill with beuracratic corruption, and tht has caused many to overlook their contrabutions. You know why your meats are less likely to harbor some nasty gram negative rods, the FDA checking the products coming off the line of meat packaging facilities. You know why we don't just let some biomedical corporations--at least in theory--formulate bull **** testing or medicine to squeeze every last dollar out of you when you're sick? The FDA. In principle it's a good thing, not so much in practice, but we can change that.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Freaky Dangly Appendage... Checks out.

Is the entire orginization a dick, like some monstrous phallus come to ejaculate on the world, or is it that they act like *****. Truely I must know.

While the FDA is very corrupt, the work that they do as regulators is essential. Sadly the orginization has gone down hill with beuracratic corruption, and tht has caused many to overlook their contrabutions. You know why your meats are less likely to harbor some nasty gram negative rods, the FDA checking the products coming off the line of meat packaging facilities. You know why we don't just let some biomedical corporations--at least in theory--formulate bull **** testing or medicine to squeeze every last dollar out of you when you're sick? The FDA. In principle it's a good thing, not so much in practice, but we can change that.
I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose. I like not dying after I eat. That said, they are in far too much control, and like most organizations with that level of power, it is abused on the regular. I would personally prefer if the FDA could approve and disapprove....but not ban.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose. I like not dying after I eat. That said, they are in far too much control, and like most organizations with that level of power, it is abused on the regular. I would personally prefer if the FDA could approve and disapprove....but not ban.
Agreed
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Bronco Yoda

They've been doing research in Switzerland.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
In order to qualify as a schedule I controlled substance, one of the main criteria is that the drug must have NO legitimate medical applications.
Heroin most certainly has medical applications, as does cocaine. So yeah, that's not how something ends up a schedule 1 controlled substance.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
Bronco Yoda

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2500.html
Old 01-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #16
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Heroin most certainly has medical applications, as does cocaine. So yeah, that's not how something ends up a schedule 1 controlled substance.
Sorry, but 21 U.S.C. section 812b says it is.

Three criteria supposedly must exist for a drug to be placed on schedule I:

1. High potential for abuse
2. Lack of accepted safety for use of the drug, even under medical supervision.
3. No currently accepted medical use in treatment in the U.S.

Back in 1979, when MJ was originally designated as schedule I, it was supposed to be a "provisional" classification, pending further studies.

It's stayed "provisional" now for 44 years.