The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #26
Papa-pwn
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanatic View Post
And give the hosting city a mere 2 weeks to prepare?
How about the team that wins the SB gets to host next years SB.
Papa-pwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:45 AM   #27
Bronc62
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
How come you start every post with "I'm retired NWS"?

Just curious, no big deal.
I include that just to add some credibility to posts regarding game weather, since I am career govt. meteorologist and still do some newspaper consulting work. Also a 50-yr Bronco fan. You seem to know something about aviation/weather yourself, work in Centennial ops?
Bronc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #28
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
How about the team that wins the SB gets to host next years SB.
best 5th post ever.

love this idea
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #29
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc62 View Post
Accuweather is just using numerical computer output which tends to be smoothed to near normal the farther you go out, particularly at 10 days. I'm considering that a) jetstream pattern indicates it's a cold, below normal temperature regime over the northeastern U.S over the next 8-14 days; b) the game is at night, roughly 630-10pm local; and c) there's still going to be lingering snow cover in the area from yesterday's storm which suppresses temperatures locally. So yeah, I think temps in the teens are a good probability, but admittedly it's 10 days out.
Is there anything you can discern about the wind? That's the most impactful weather element.
TripleTilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #30
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
I include that just to add some credibility to posts regarding game weather, since I am career govt. meteorologist and still do some newspaper consulting work. Also a 50-yr Bronco fan. You seem to know something about aviation/weather yourself, work in Centennial ops?
Used to work Centennial Ops. Then worked KDEN Ops. Now I am an airport planner and work in the private sector. But that all changes February 18th when I move to Seattle to be the airfield and airspace planner for Seattle-Tacoma international airport.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #31
Bronc62
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTilde View Post
Is there anything you can discern about the wind? That's the most impactful weather element.
Agreed on wind being most impactful, but still too early to tell for the local wind conditions on Feb. 2. There's some indication of a quick-moving storm system moving thru the area around Friday or Sat. (1st), which would be outta there by Sunday eve.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #32
Bronc62
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Used to work Centennial Ops. Then worked KDEN Ops. Now I am an airport planner and work in the private sector. But that all changes February 18th when I move to Seattle to be the airfield and airspace planner for Seattle-Tacoma international airport.
Interesting dichotomy for a Denver guy/Bronco fan with near 29K Mane posts...moving to Seattle in February!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #33
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Agreed on wind being most impactful, but still too early to tell for the local wind conditions on Feb. 2. There's some indication of a quick-moving storm system moving thru the area around Friday or Sat. (1st), which would be outta there by Sunday eve.
They're talking about moving the day of the game. The first option was to mak it earlier than Sunday but if there's a storm at that time, the next option was to move it to Monday.

If you're right about the preceding storm, it seems like there might be a Monday Super Bowl.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #34
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
They're talking about moving the day of the game. The first option was to mak it earlier than Sunday but if there's a storm at that time, the next option was to move it to Monday.

If you're right about the preceding storm, it seems like there might be a Monday Super Bowl.
So stupid. So everyone goes to work, then barely makes it home for the game. No parties or anything.

Goodell is truly a moron.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #35
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
So stupid. So everyone goes to work, then barely makes it home for the game. No parties or anything.

Goodell is truly a moron.
Doubt they move it the game. Unless a blizzard hits within 12 hours of the game, the game will be played. They did a practice run the other day to see if they can clear the stadium within 24 hours. Since the forecast models aren't predicting a blizzard, the game will go as scheduled.

What I do not understand is Metlife stadium was built for 1.6 billion dollars. How does that not include a roof or retract?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #36
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Doubt they move it the game. Unless a blizzard hits within 12 hours of the game, the game will be played. They did a practice run the other day to see if they can clear the stadium within 24 hours. Since the forecast models aren't predicting a blizzard, the game will go as scheduled.

What I do not understand is Metlife stadium was built for 1.6 billion dollars. How does that not include a roof or retract?
A big portion of that is fluff for unions and mobsters.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #37
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
A big portion of that is fluff for unions and mobsters.
Has to be. The Cowboys stadium was 1.3 bills.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #38
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I hate this bull****. We should be playing in a nice warm comfy dome.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #39
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I can't believe Goodell approved a Superbowl in a cold weather Northeast city. He's like one of those guys that has so many bad ideas that it's hard to single one of them out as the worst, they're just coming in too fast.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #40
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
I saw former Jets RB Curtis Martin on Showtime's Inside the NFL last night. Martin is working with the Super Bowl organizing committee and he also said it is doubtful they would move the game.

As an aside, Showtime had excellent game coverage of both conference championships, with lots of footage from NFL Films of player comments during the game. Inside the NFL is always the first to show the Super Bowl highlights with player comments, too. I have directv and they had a showtime deal for $5/month for 3 months - I got it just to see Inside the NFL for the next 3 weeks.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #41
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
That actually sounds cool...what does an airfield/airspace planner do? (im not being sarcastic)
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #42
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I can't believe Goodell approved a Superbowl in a cold weather Northeast city. He's like one of those guys that has so many bad ideas that it's hard to single one of them out as the worst, they're just coming in too fast.
Agree because of the uncertainty. But you know if the game is played in 28 degree weather, little wind, and a light flurry, he'll hail himself as a genius.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #43
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Interesting dichotomy for a Denver guy/Bronco fan with near 29K Mane posts...moving to Seattle in February!
I talked **** about Seahags in my interview, and still got offered the job 20 minutes after the interview ended.

That is how bad ass I am.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #44
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
That actually sounds cool...what does an airfield/airspace planner do? (im not being sarcastic)
Oh man, that will take a lot of explanation. I will PM you so as not to clutter up this fine thread.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #45
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Agree because of the uncertainty. But you know if the game is played in 28 degree weather, little wind, and a light flurry, he'll hail himself as a genius.
It will be best if this game is miserable as **** to the people in attendance. Whether it's snow, rain, sleet, subzero temperatures.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #46
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I dont think there's any way in hell they move this game. It would be the ultimate arrogant move. For years, the game is played on Sunday at 6: some odd time. It's a beautiful tradition. Roger would have to have some balls to change that.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #47
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"Peyton Manning is heading to New Jersey next week with the Denver Broncos to play the Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium, and he'll get a helpful scouting report from his little brother.

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning, who plays his home games at MetLife Stadium, said he'd be offering Peyton tips on the stadium's quirks, especially as they pertain to potential winter weather conditions such as strong winds.

Eli Manning did share his opinion that MetLife Stadium doesn't present the same kind of wind challenges for which its predecessor, Giants Stadium, was famous.

"The old stadium definitely had a specific end zone and corner that you wouldn't want to throw into if it was going to be a windy night," Eli said. "If it is one of those windy days, then there is a little bit of local knowledge that you can give. But it's definitely not as bad as the old stadium."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...etlife-stadium

Little known Eli affect
Gutless Drunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #48
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
"Peyton Manning is heading to New Jersey next week with the Denver Broncos to play the Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium, and he'll get a helpful scouting report from his little brother.

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning, who plays his home games at MetLife Stadium, said he'd be offering Peyton tips on the stadium's quirks, especially as they pertain to potential winter weather conditions such as strong winds.

Eli Manning did share his opinion that MetLife Stadium doesn't present the same kind of wind challenges for which its predecessor, Giants Stadium, was famous.

"The old stadium definitely had a specific end zone and corner that you wouldn't want to throw into if it was going to be a windy night," Eli said. "If it is one of those windy days, then there is a little bit of local knowledge that you can give. But it's definitely not as bad as the old stadium."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...etlife-stadium

Little known Eli affect
Bet he isn't doing that for the Seahags. Just a gut feeling.