The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #76
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
While I do agree that defense wins championships, it doesn't mean that the better defense is going to win. I'd say that it means that a team has to show up and play defense.

The Broncos defense is not as good as the Seahawks, and they don't have to be as good in the Super Bowl. Remember, they are not being matched up against the greatest (statistically) offense ever. The Seahawks defense has that challenge. The Broncos defense can certainly play well with the Seahawks offense. That match up may be what really decides the Super Bowl.

The Broncos offense isn't going for 50 points against the Seahawks defense, and the Seahawks defense isn't about to hold them to 10. If the Broncos D hold the Seahawks to less than 20 or so points, Broncos probably win. If the Seahawks score more than 30, then the Broncos are going to have some problems. It's rare that the Super Bowl is a shootout. Only twice has a team given up 30+ points and won the game. Last year and the Steelers over the Cowboys.

STOP MAKING SENSE~!!!!!

Indeed, this game is about defense. But its about OUR Defense playing like they have the last 4 weeks.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #77
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
These Hawk trolls are too lame to even raise my blood pressure.
This^

you guys have to realize that this is all those clowns in Seattle have.....the Seahawks.....they lost their NBA team, the MLB team is a joke, and even their local NCAA football isn't worth watching up there. all they have is rain, fog, cold weather and the Seahawks.

Prior to the Seahawks winning the past few seasons all they had to hang their hat on was "we've had more serial killers come from the Great Northwest than any other area of the country"

They are in the upper corner of the country for a reason...just like that Browns-Raiders game that the local sports bar puts up on the small TV in the corner clear across the room.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #78
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeahawkTalons View Post
Lol...you forgot one thing...

Seattle's secondary is the greatest ever assembled...at least if you believe Deion...but hey, what does that dude know? lol

This game is a mismatch. Rewatch Sunday's games....one game looked like grandpa was out for a stroll and the other looked like a vicious street fight. Wonder who is going to to win...? Ask Whitlock...he has no dog in this fight...he's concerned for Mannings health.
Of course Dieon is saying what he was saying. They need to hype up Seattle. Whitlock hates Denver and is a KC homer. I bet if you read SF sports writers blogs and other teams that hate Seattle you would see predictions saying Denver wins easily.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #79
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Looking back on this now, I'm incredibly glad that the Broncos played a vanilla offense in the preseason while the Chickens scripted (remember that even the talking heads said that Seattle pulled a Spurrier). And another thing to remember, the massive hit on Peyton that Whitlock is ****ting his drawers on came on a newbie Montee Ball whose blocking has improved dramatically since then from non-existent to arguably above average.

With all that said, I'm incredibly nervous for this game but the blind, Jonestown-esque confidence that Seattle fans have is just moronic.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #80
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Who knows what will happen, and maybe im not giving SEA's D enough credit, but if you show Peyton your full intentions, thinking you can just beat him on talent alone, I dunno, i think you're playing with fire there.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #81
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Our OL/QB and wideouts are good enough to put up around 24/27 points on Seattle which would still be a very good defensive performance from them. I'll put it this way, we've faced a similar, hyper aggressive team with a very good secondary in KC twice and gotten the better of their secondary. Pretty much abused it at times.

Give Manning/Gase one extra week to prepare and you gotta believe Denver can put up at least 24 on Seattle.

I don't think the Broncos O vs Seattle D is the real matchup here. The real question is: Can Seattle put up more than 27 points on Denver's defense when the one thing our defense does well is stopping the run?

I'll put it this way, Seattle hasn't scored more than 27 points in their last 6 games. Team's know that you can rush four with Seattle's awful pass protection and flood the secondary when Wilson drop's back to pass because he's not going to pick you apart.

I respect Seattle's defense. They've earned it.

I just think our defense has a lot more at stake with this being the last year or two of Manning/Champ's career.

It's one thing for a player playing for himself, a new contract, the spotlight, or because he hates Michael Crabtree. It's quite another for a player to play for a team mate who's about to retire.

Last edited by fontaine; 01-23-2014 at 09:25 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #82
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Long post, but it's good, I promise.

A lot has been made of how defense wins Championships and Denver's offense won't help as much as the Seattle Defense.

This article points out that number 1 defenses are 12-3 in SB games versus number one offenses which are only 10-8 - barely above .500.

But it's actually difficult to say because the sample size is small....
all of this is only part of the equation. This is comparing the Broncos offense against the Seahawk's defense. Ok, fine. But what about the Broncos defense against the Seahawk's offense, and what about special teams?

I think much will come down to can the Broncos defense keep Seattle's offense from scoring more than 20 points or so? And then the field position battle which comes from punting/special teams.

Also, turnovers. If the Broncos can protect the ball, that will be huge. If the Broncos defense can force a turnover or two, that will be huge.

The kicking game will also be huge. Whichever kicker can consistently make field goals will by key.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #83
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's clear that we're finished before we start and that the best we can hope for is to take them to OT only to lose like those otherwise Unstoppable Texans.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #84
dictionary
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Looking back on this now, I'm incredibly glad that the Broncos played a vanilla offense in the preseason while the Chickens scripted (remember that even the talking heads said that Seattle pulled a Spurrier). And another thing to remember, the massive hit on Peyton that Whitlock is ****ting his drawers on came on a newbie Montee Ball whose blocking has improved dramatically since then from non-existent to arguably above average.

With all that said, I'm incredibly nervous for this game but the blind, Jonestown-esque confidence that Seattle fans have is just moronic.
I went back and watched the pre-season game vs the Seahawks. I also dropped a link discussing the Denver drives. If nothing else, it does provide analysis of the vanilla offense versus a scripted defense: http://www.footballperspective.com/f...the-preseason/.
dictionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #85
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Over the past two seasons Sherman has been targeted 243 times (almost 8 times per game) and has allowed 8 TD's (3%) and has nabbed 20 INT's (8%)

Contrast and compare Peyton Manning's first 243 passes of 2013 season - 23 TD's (9%) vs. 2 INT's (0.8%)
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #86
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

All I can say is that while the Seahawks' defense has been glorified and getting the most publicity, our defense has been playing their best football right just when it mattered...
The Broncos are playing their best football right now...
I feel that while we beat SD and NE in the rematch, one thing about those two games that doesn't get mentioned is the fact that we outcoached them.
The game plan was magnificent, and we did it without putting up Star Wars numbers...
Some food for thought...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #87
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I also feel nobody mentions that the SeaHags showed their gameplan in the pre-season against a vanilla game plan we played. Granted it was a long time ago but they showed what they think will work against PFM.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #88
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
I went back and watched the pre-season game vs the Seahawks. I also dropped a link discussing the Denver drives. If nothing else, it does provide analysis of the vanilla offense versus a scripted defense: http://www.footballperspective.com/f...the-preseason/.
Brah! Say it aint so
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #89
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Our offense still has not exploded on anybody yet either. If I was a seahawks fan I would be pretty scared about that fact. Two games in a row we did scored in the 20s. Peyton usually comes out and decimates the other teams endzone with 4 or more bronco touchdowns.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #90
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
Our offense still has not exploded on anybody yet either. If I was a seahawks fan I would be pretty scared about that fact. Two games in a row we did scored in the 20s. Peyton usually comes out and decimates the other teams endzone with 4 or more bronco touchdowns.
You are right in that they haven't been as explosive offensively, but I kind of think that has been by design.

They are chewing up clock, going on long drives and controlling the ball.

In turn, that keeps the defense fresh and limits turnovers. You are forced to play that kind of football in the playoffs due to the quality of the teams you are facing and the desire to limit mistakes or even opportunities for mistakes.

That's not to say they don't want to put up 50 on an opponent, I just think they are playing very smart, tough football right now.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #91
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrobinson View Post
You can't compare current defensive stats to those from the '70s and '80s. The NFL has modified the rules to aid offenses over the years and the league as a whole scores a lot more points than in earlier eras. You have to compare Seattle's defense to other current defenses and surrendering only 14.4 points per game in the modern era is impressive by any measure.

It's the same reason you can't really compare quarterback stats from earlier eras because DBs were allowed to get away with a lot more back then and QBs tended to throw more intermediate and deep passes. If you look at the career stats of guys like Staubach, Bradshaw and Namath they don't look very impressive compared to modern QBs under the current rules.
You're pretty much making my point: The rules today favor offense. Another reason the way the game is called today may tip toward the offense. Of the four games I listed, the most recent one was played a quarter of a century ago. Even if you want to use yardage as an example, the Buccs Raiders SB was played before the emphasis on no contact was brought into play.

And the game is different in other ways. The average receiver back then was 5'10." Three of Denver's receiving threats are over 6'4". It's a different game and it will be interesting to see how that affects things.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #92
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
all of this is only part of the equation. This is comparing the Broncos offense against the Seahawk's defense. Ok, fine. But what about the Broncos defense against the Seahawk's offense
You didn't even read my post, did you? There's like three paragraphs on that.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #93
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You didn't even read my post, did you? There's like three paragraphs on that.
You made a post?

I keed.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #94
dictionary
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
Brah! Say it aint so
Sorry, brah. Just hug it out over some flipcup, ya know?!
dictionary is offline   Reply With Quote